Ended
Watch

(1904) Keeper Formal Court

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 6 of 11 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last
    R
    Rebecca Simmons

Slowly and deliberately Rebecca paced away from her conversation with the Prince and Arturo and stepped out before the court. A look of simple politeness and friendliness on her face. " Mr. Prosper and Mr. Boyle . If you have something to say to me, follow Sheriff Moretti's lead and confront me directly instead of pontificating in the center of court, acting as if it were a private conversation and then fleeing just as quickly." Her face continued to remain friendly and polite, remaining unaffected by the words they had said about her.

Her eyes then shifted towards Lina. "The newest fashion? No, certainly not. The man in question was under the vinculum to a rogue and dangerous Kindred in the city and at first appeared to be resistant to questioning through Dominate. Torture came up as an alternative solution, but it was mentioned by Blackbird that it may not be effective. I wanted to confirm for myself, as well as to confirm if there was any information that still remained to be gathered. I felt I was being...thorough. And while I admit I enjoyed the process, my enjoyment of experimentation was secondary to my desire to learn additional ways to gain information, should a suspect be capable of resisting supernaturally in the future. Discovery does require experimentation after all."

She paused for a moment. "But I can understand the revulsion some of you feel towards it. You go so far as to call it 'inhuman'. You're right, it is. But I've never claimed to be the most human among us. Civil usually. Proper and friendly most of the time. But a Kindred, with the beast as a companion, nonetheless. I apologize if I accidentally revealed too much of the potential darkness within us all," she said, offering the Sheriff a soft smile. "I do not shy away from such darkness, but since the topic seems taboo to some of you, I'll keep it in the dark where you believe it belongs. Should anyone need that same 'barbarism' and 'cruelty' you mention though, well...everyone knows how to reach me." She waited to hear the reaction of court, as well as the Prince's response.

Presence
    (Formidable)
    Madcap

PRE

Madcap was about to answer Vivian when the outbursts occur. He turned his head, glancing to the people those who spoke of the offending Harpy. Then he listened to the words of the Harpy, ignoring the arrival of Garrett. For the moment.

Keep your mouth shut, Manny boy.

Madcap's jaw tensed as he considered keeping silent. But he couldn't. Not with this. With a sigh he took a few steps to address the Harpy directly.

"Ma'am, I'm new here and far be it from me to step on your toes," he says, "but I got experience with the comfort you're talking about."

You're in for it now you dumb fuck.

Shut it.

"Speaking strictly as a Son of Bruja, ma'am, it all might feel good now, but the big fella inside ain't a companion. He's a predator just like us. And he's eating ya," Madcaps tone is serious, his eyes unmoving from the Lord before him, "I've been down that road you walk. Was a time I'd just as well skin a fucker as I would put him out quick. So take it from someone who knows. Pump the brakes."

He'd reach a hand up and scratch the back of his head. "That's all I gotta say," he said plainly. Then he turned his attention back to the Seneschal.

His piece said, Madcap returns to Vivian's thread

T
    Thomas Boyle

Thomas pokes his head out from a side thread to answer Rebecca Simmons. He doesn't actually move any closer to her, though

"Priscus, thank you for your invitation to speak. I will only say this: as a scientist, you know that any experiment towards which the experimenter is not perfectly neutral, produces flawed results. There's also a number of occultists of some knowledge in this Domain"
    Thomas himself included "any of whom could tell you Vinculum can be broken only with time or the death of a master, but there is no pain capable of this result. Lastly, as recent kine history teaches us, torture is not an altogether reliable way of getting information, even in the absence of mystical chains" As anyone with two brain cell to rub together knows, you pathetic mummy.

"I agree that in order to survive and thrive we must often do things others consider 'evil' or 'immoral' or even - yes, 'barbaric'. Has the torture session produced the expected result? Was any actionable intelligence, any proven truth gleaned from the effort?"

Oh, this is going to be rich.

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes
      ExitScene
     -2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ale turns her full attention to Lina for the moment. But allows Rebecca to speak first before addressing the problem. And she did hear the gallery chiming in, but she cared not for what they had to say. It was them jumping on the band wagon, saying things they never had the courage say before.

"ENOUGH!" she boomed, her eyes moving from Kindred to Kindred.

“The situation was a difficult one, and the benefit to gaining knowledge on the strength of the Vinculum outweighed the moral cons. Tell me, since you are so apt to throw stones, are you aware of if Vinculum can be broken? Not just what you may have heard, but for sure, with proof.” she asks. Oh she heard the Crone, but she was ignoring him, what he offered helped none. “If so, how did you get the proof?” she wanted attention, she had it. “What was done has given us solid evidence of how strong those bonds are, and that is valuable information to have.” Were they really doing this now?

“The man in question was a threat, knowing of Kindred, and having inside knowledge that was a threat to this Domain and myself. His loyalty resided with another. I gave her permission to see if the bond could be severed, and to also see if more information could be gathered on our target. So no, it wasn’t needless, it was done for a purpose.” Her eyes narrowing.

“I have never condoned torture for the fun of it. But as you said, sometimes it is necessary. If that makes you uncomfortable, then so be it. But I will put the Domain’s protection above anyone’s feelings.”

Tilting her head to the side, “And this is the second Formal Court you’ve disrupted. Are you trying to imply to the rest of the Court that I cannot measure and weigh issues of morality? Is this an overreach to drag a fellow Kindred of good standing through the mud? Or are you simply questioning my ability to lead my Domain?” her eyes narrow again, “Or is this some type of power play, a challenge to my position and authority as Prince?” Cain had caught the weight in his masters voice, turning his own attention to the Daeva. His eyes, filled with hate, resting on her and not moving. All he needed was a single word.
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

5. Likes Ruach, Krakenbox liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

"No, Your Majesty. It is merely a question to the Harpy about the example she chooses to set by speaking of her casual enjoyment of it in open Court. I now know what I need to know. As your Sheriff and your ally, I have never once had a question when it comes to your Praxis."

The Daeva paused, allowing that point to settle.

"Since my concerns have been deemed by Your Majesty to be a disruption or a power play rather than upholding my understanding of your vision, though, allow me to prove I do not seek to usurp your authority, I will respectfully offer you my resignation as Sheriff here and now. No doubt another could serve Your Majesty's vision with greater skill.

Will you accept my resignation, Prince Antinori?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Ever listening, Jacque heard the words first from Mister Prosper, then in short order from the Sheriff herself. He shifted his attention to her, and the crowd. One by one the Dragons fell in line. Then the Dragons began to draw lines in the sand, poking and prodding those who weren't of the covenant to pick a side.

His face shifted from a smirk to a scowl as Arturo revealed his ill-conceived plan to try and lend misinformation to aide in the sabotage of the Harpy. Then followed by Boyle, who had not mere moments before spoke of unity of the family. It seems their ire was was not only cast on him for his appointment, but to the Priscus as well for not picking them instead. Fools and snakes. Cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Collecting himself in a calmed retort to Thomas, "The experiences of the occultists are often anecdotal at best and based on severely dated material, Mister Boyle. As also a scientist, I can also recognize the need for testing new variables as the centuries go by so that Domain security can be informed of any weaknesses that develop with newly available options." His eyes narrow, "It is easy to stand there after the fact and proclaim something was unnecessary when the status quo held. Sometimes, it takes courage and wisdom to go against the grain, and when something previously unknown is discovered, suddenly the critics become silent."

He then shifts his gaze to Lina, "From my vantage point, Prince Antinori seemed quite informed of Harpy Simmons' activities. When exactly did it become appropriate to grandstand opinions of the Prince's policies in the interest of drawing public debate?" Motioning a hand outward in a wide sweeping motion, "Are you blind to the unrest and dysfunction you are fueling when you could have easily brought forth your concerns in private to the Prince, later?" It was truly unsettling to see such a united front from the Dragons, a group he thought were considered some of the greatest kindred scientists, yet not one dissenting opinion from the one presented by the Grand Wyrm. Were they really scholars, or were they a hive mind?

I had written this up earlier but I was waiting for posting order in the individual thread. Silly me.

Blood Hunt:

8. Likes Krakenbox, Stray liked this post

Supplicant of Terror
    Presence
    (Gregarious)
    Garrett Prosper

PRE

The Savage's pupils dilate as the Harpy calls for his action, and his foot slides forward an inch before he composes himself.

He follows formality, waiting for the Invictus to say their piece, and the anticipation of Antinori's call for order is dropped.

Familiar patterns. The Prince had to assert her authority over the Court. Whispers of Moretti's power had not gone ignored, and now she was taking the moment to put the Daeva in her place. The Grand Wyrm's reaction was predictable as her ability to read people and execute the will of the Domain with efficiency is openly called into question.

"Woah," he laughs, holding up a hand. The Prince had mentioned during their meetings that the Taifa acting as a buffer appealed to her, and this seemed like the scenario he had anticipated within minutes of data mining Sacramento's Court.

"Prince Antinori is stopping an escalation, and I am going to respect her wishes. Forgive me, Harpy Simmons, I will not be 'confronting you directly' as per your request. My concern was voiced due to your present Station. This was not a criticism of the Prince's order. This was not questioning method of defense for her Majesty's Domain. Sheriff Moretti," she still was at least in this minute, "Was acting within consistency of what her job entails.

The Harpy is a powerful position that can encourage specific behaviour and habits in the culture of a Court, and defines what is acceptable at her Majesty's permission with the title. What caused alarm was not soft hearts new to the Danse, or an attempt to sew chaos,"
    he shrugs,

"The Clan of Gangrel understand the Beast better than most, and the Dragons make a point to study its effects on the psyche. The alarm was sounded because what I heard was a Kindred voicing her pleasure in torture, because she was under the mistaken expectation that this was what was wanted of her in appealing to the Prince," he blinks, "Tell me to jog on if I am wrong. I am putting it out there for correction on my view.

To put it bluntly, yes, I AM a little sensitive about the topic of degradation. It is a poison that produces Draugr if no one flags the behaviour. This puts us all in danger over time. Losing your connection with humanity is not a weakness; it allows us to uphold the Masquerade. If we ignored what we heard, it would be a disservice to Harpy Simmons and a disservice to your Praxis, Prince.

Your leadership is not being questioned, your Domain has put an issue forward rather than squirreling it away for your enemies to pick at you from the shadows."

Known as "Derek Mitnick"
    Presence
    (Insecure)
    Derek Menzies

Known as "Derek Mitnick"

PRE

"Mm, yes. I suppose I've been doing well for myself..."

As Dirt Nap excuses himself, Derek cannot help but direct his attention at the spectacle surrounding the Sheriff, Harpy, and Prince. The murmurs that sprang up around the commons swelled at the apparent scandal and contemplation of the open debate.

Some gaped and blurted at the topic of the practice of torture by the Harpy. Certainly it is discomforting, but she is the Harpy after all, and it is no minor thing to criticize her practices publicly. More apparent, many Kindred within the room took the opportunity to join a side in the matter. The more foolish decided to add their voices to the choir of protest and defense.

Derek remained silent and observant. The Sheriff has angered the Prince at the public inference. Perhaps the moral question lay with her Covenant principles as well as the decay of one's Humanity throughout one's Requiem. The resignation of the Sheriff would be a blow not only to the Domain's security, but to himself, as she has so far been his greatest supporter since his arrival. If the Harpy took offense, then perhaps she too would add her fuel to the fire. At this moment he is reminded of his brief conversation with Blackbird, spouting the strong relationship between the Secret Estate and the First. He would see it tested firsthand.

11. Likes Ruach liked this post
    A
    Arturo Garcia

There was sound advice and there was unsound advice - and in the rare case there was correct advice. Arturo himself rarely claimed that he was a master of any of this nonsense, to ere was human, afterall. Though in one moment, in his very first court, he had said something that this day rang truer than anything - it may as well have been gospel.

He is dangerous

Not to mention the Brujah...People seemed to brush over that exchange...

The Prince and the Sheriff? Not surprising, this just happened to be the issue that kicked it off. Would the Prince accept the resignation? How much would it hurt the Praxis? Who was the Praxis in the first place? Since the dealings with Adam Exlibrist in his first court he had tried to suss out the answers but had been met with only limited success.

Thomas spoke out - yes, and in this case it would be in the clan’s interest to silence him.

Instead, Jack was in the middle of the rukus trying to talk down the Sheriff, and more importantly the Grand Wyrm. He was rubbing shoulders with the highest authorities in the Court, and trying to bring reason. Good on him. He was also dangerously close to speaking for the Prince or at least repeating, and on the cusp of speaking down to the Grand Wyrm. Savages and Succubi were not the same as Lords.

Arturo’s stride was crisp, quick enough to carry him to the Harpy in short order without coming off as panicked. He made his way swiftly to Rebecca Simmons , making sure to offer the nearby Garrett Prosper a curt smile and nod. As he reached the Harpy he coughed so she would notice and laid a hand on her shoulder, leaning in to speak but not openly trying to hide anything.

”Priscus Simmons, there was a matter we needed to discuss, hadn’t you mentioned your office in our earlier communication?”

Let us get out of here while we can.

He hoped she understood

The Harpy’s actions were the catalyst, but this was no longer her fight - there were different egos at war. Arturo sought to remove the Lord’s asset from the field, give the Harpy some time away from crowd, and the jeering. The Sheriff, the Prince, and Jack could hold the stage for the moment. While things escalated or de-escalated they should be able to ride out of the storm.

Garcia motioned with his hand towards the offices away from the court, hoping the Harpy would lead the way and grant them some measure of privacy and reprieve. Some may call it a retreat, but it is easily justified to believe a Lord would not address a mob.

Presence
    (Seductive)
    Striking Looks
    (Delicate)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)
    New Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Twist
    Kalos Hamilton (Ghoul)

+1
    SL
    PRE

She was more than fashionably late. If there was such a thing with a formal court. As such, she didn't make an effort to announce her presence as she ignored the attendants and the closed door they blocked. To their credit, they didn't try to stop her. They knew better.

As it fell shut behind her, she moved deeper into the room, channeling her Beast's screams into movement even as her eyes scanned the room to try and judge the mood.

It was harder with Kindred, many of the subtle give always frozen and unused in unlife. But there were still habits and those were what she sought out. Sought and found and the story was that something was happening.
    Counterfeiting Life (Blush) in Public Scenes

14. Likes Ruach liked this post
Page 6 of 11 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 41

You do not have permission to view the list of names.