Ended
Watch

Crouching Acolyte, Hidden Dragon

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    T
    Thomas Boyle

"And yet when one obsesses over details and ignores the connections between them he is apt to see the treads, but not the tapestry" He retorts in a tone mirthful, like he imparts an important lesson on a good friend.

"I believe that's the most fundamental difference between us - and our Covenants. While the Dragons look inward to purge their flaws, we Acolytes seek wisdom in the world around us"

"Interesting" He nods to the Gangrel Dragon "I have long ago resolved that our perceptions are so different that something we experience one way might appear as something else entirely to another - to the point that the very existence of an objective truth becomes questionable. Do you have theory why our spirits respond to Changes in different ways?" It's an interesting perspective - and not entirely out of line with his own beliefs. After all, vampires are dead only to those that are blinded by flesh "I belive that god - a real god - is a verb. Not some Methuselah that practices magic, but someone that changes the world around him. He doesn't need to want it, or to think about it - it just happens" He smiles, broadly "In the end, I do not seek to pacify the Beast, nor do I want to become more human than I already am. The goal, for me, is to merge the Man and Beast into one entity. The road? To dance on a knife's edge, exposing myself to trials and tribulations outside of my comfort zone. This is part of the reason I joined on the hunt of the homeless man's killers, even though I am much more comfortable in lounges and libraries"

He listens intently to what Dirt Nap has to say "So you intend to walk in the sun, one day?"

"You know what puzzles me, though? I'd love to have this discussion in the Order's Chapterhouse, and yet it seems its location - not to mention access - is a closely guarded secret. I wonder why, given that it enjoys the maximum possible safety of your numbers, Lina's Regency and office, and the sanctity of Haven, enforced by the Prince directly" He let a question mark hang in the air.

Gah! Sorry for the delay!

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap smiles. "Well, I spent a lot of time in hospitals, before I was embraced, and the humans all seemed to respond differently to their medicines and surgeries and treatments too," he says. "I think there's a tendency for all kinds of people to make something simpler in our minds then it really is, to pat ourselves on the back for understanding it."

"Honestly, I am not sure I have a spiritual part anymore. I suppose you could say I am agnostic tending towards cynic on the subject. I tend to go on the assumption that my physical existence is all that is really real, since my embrace. So, I tend to believe that physical changes are the only kind that are real changes."

He chuckles and shakes his head, saying, "I don't expect to ever walk in sunlight, at least not in my own body."

Dirt Nap nods as Thomas Boyle describes the mysterious reticence to share any information as to the local lair of the Dragons. "We are somewhat of a mysterious bunch." he agrees, sympathetically.

T
    Thomas Boyle

He accepts Nap's words pertaining his past and laughs heartily at his remark on oversimplifying things "That may ery well be true!"

It seems, however, that there's no accord between them regarding the spiritual side of Kindred existence.

"Ah, but I'd beg to differ. What of the famed ability to assume ethereal form through Auspex mastery? What of the splinter faction of your own Covenant, the Order of Sin-Eaters? Their reasoning seems at least partly sound, even if the conclusions are invalid" He smiles "At any rate, we are all biologically dead. Meaning you cannot just wave away your mind's activity as a product of your brain. I'd say this constitutes a very strong argument that souls do exist"

His eyebrow rising in surprise "I don't understand. You just told me you expect to be free of all our limitations. Walking in the sun seems like the ultimate indicator of your success" Or failure, but if one does check this way then soon it won't be bothering him anymore "You said 'not in your own body', though. Do you expect a Protean form to be more resilient? Or is something else on your mind?"

Thomas' look is impassive as the Dragon deflects his question. To be honest, he expected little else "That I can see. I just wonder what makes the potent Covenant to hide in the shadows" The Ventrue is very aware flattery such as this will get him nowhere information-wise - in all fairness, he wants to tease Dirt Nap a bit, see what his reaction will be. An experiment, of sorts.

Like sending electrical impulses through a corpse.

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

"Oh, I do believe in souls, very much. I just tend to doubt that I have one. I have a beast where a soul used to be, I think." Dirt Nap says thoughtfully. "As to other, scholarly types and their thoughts on the matter; like we were saying, I tend to put more stock in my own personal experiences."

"I am a beast whisperer. It isn't just a Gangrel thing. It's possible to get further enough along to where you can live through an animal, feel what it feels, and go about in the day like that." he says.

"I suppose if the main purpose of a Covenant is to show how powerful it is to everyone than mine might be doing it wrong." Dirt Nap considers. "I don't believe that's the main point of it, myself."

Dirt Nap ponders, "I wonder what the practical steps along the way would be, you having such a big goal for yourself. What's your next step, do you think, Thomas?" he asks Thomas Boyle.

T
    Thomas Boyle

His expression betrayed curiosity for some time, but now it's amped up to eleven "Well, if the only thing that animates you is the Beast, then how are you not constantly frenzying? Why don't you tear my heart apart with these big claws the Gangrel are famous for?" He retorts to Dirt Nap's thoughts "The draugr in that garage... that was pure Beast,completely out of balance with the Man. We - we are still hanging on to it" He smiles "Yet"

Personal experience is often advocated by those with solipsistic views on life. But all it takes is one peek outside of a shell to notice that everything is connected “Perception at once shapes the mind and rules over time. Time, however, erodes human perception and then in turn warps the mind. The mind is capricious, having various effects on perception, time, and the mind itself... personal experience is all well and good, until you start questioning your memory. Which inevitably happens after longer periods of torpor or even normal activity... or so I am told" The Ventrue leans back in his chair, and his gaze shifts upwards, towards the cloudless sky and the countless stars.

Then comes a surprise "Wait, you're an... animal whisperer? Like Robert Redford?" Honestly, animals weren't Thomas' strong suit. He doesn't quite know how this works, which is why he decided to fall back to a safe pop culture reference.

As for the next steps in his journey... "Well, it'd certainly be easier if I found a true Methuselah to interview - I know some of them are still around. The second-best option would be written records, but obviously they are very hard to come by - perhaps even harder than their authors. But since I genuinely believe all vampires are gods in the making, learning their lifepaths is also a decent line of inquiry" They may be misguided at best and willfuly ignorant at worst, but Thomas takes a more ecumenical approach to it than most of his Acolyte brothers and sisters "But like I said previously, the trick is not in knowing, but in acting. One's Requiem is dotted with trials... you just have to know where to look to notice the signs and patterns. There are hundreds of stories as to what those trials may be - and if I have to, I'll test each one separately. Eternal life affords me the luxury of trial and error"

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods in understanding, "Now, I am not saying I'm right. Not that I know it somehow, for sure and certain. Just what my personal lean is. I think our physical bodies hold in 'em a recollection of who we were. Maybe like a movie projector, that's unplugged, with no power. I think modern medicine someday might be able to take a regular old dead body, and play out the story of everything that was thought and felt and done in it, when it had a soul in it." he says.

"I think the beast is an outside thing, that slides in where a soul is meant for, and gives it energy."

Dirt Nap looks at Thomas Boyle, "That's what I think I am, anyway, not a baby god, but a recording of everything a man was once, fighting against something that came later, took that man's place, but doesn't yet have the full run of it, because it's given some life to his memories, an echo of the man, not the man himself."

When Thomas Boyle challenges the dependibility and reilability of personal memories and experience, Dirt Nap shrugs. "Well, I guess I'm still somewhat of a youngster as our kind goes. I might have to rethink things in a while." he says.

Dirt Nap chuckles at Thomas Boyle's pop culture reference. "Well, that was a good story, and somewhat based on some things I believe in the way to properly treat horses and people." he says. "If you liked it at all, I could recommend a book I like, 'Zen Horse, Zen Mind' that kind of speaks to what we were talking about somewhat, underestimating the physical and its power over the mind and soul."

He shakes his head slightly, "But that's a thing called, 'Natural Horsemanship, and what I was referring to is pretty much the opposite, being as unnatural as you can get. A Discipline of our kind, about dealing with animals, maybe a little the way you dealt with people, on our investigation together. You might remember how we ended up finding that place in the end, me having some conversations with some local four legged types in the neighborhood."

Dirt Nap nods, "I don't much disagree with you about trials, though I might mean the word a little different, like a trial and error and observation in a scientific method of experimenting."

T
    Thomas Boyle

"A baby god? Ha, I like it!" He chuckles, clearly amused at Dirt Nap's words "I suppose the whole issue of our soul and mind's ontological status is mostly academical, in the sense that it cannot be definitely proven. Perhaps there's no one right answer, and it all boils down to how we perceive ourselves" There's a number of weak points to this thesis, but whatever. It's not a seminar, just two like-minded people talking

"Ah, Animalism. Of course, it provides its measure of protection" And dangers, as well "But I will always disagree with calling anything related to our existence 'unnatural'. Perhaps we are 'distinctly different', but so are a horse and a rock. And we are certainly not Damned" Whose idea was it, anyway? Have you seen a vampire tear a car down with Vigor like it was made of paper? Does this look like damnation to you?

"I'll definitely give the book a go" He says. Not on his usual reading list, but wasn't that the whole point?

"I see what you mean. I don't know if I've said this already, but I always liked how methodical you, as Dragons, can be in your quest. The scientific method serves us well... until we run into something that can't be explained away by mundane science" And brother, I don't mean just images of Jesus on your toast "... and we have to take a leap of faith"

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods, apparently agreeing to disagree on the thoughts of what is or is not 'natural'. "I think the scientific method, namely theorizing and then testing and repeating to see if a theory holds water...can apply across the boards. If a theory can't be tested, then best to always bear in mind it's 'just' a theory, no matter who says it or where it was written down or how long ago." he ventures.

"As to faith." Dirt Nap chuckles, "The scientific method to my thinking takes a whole bunch of faith...when the experiment to test a theory are on yourself." he says. "Like the saying, when you're eating a breakfast of eggs and ham, the chicken believed and donated; the pig was committed."

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Well, self-experimentation has a long and noble history, to mention only John C. Lilly or Karl Landsteiner" He answers "It need not be dependent on faith, at least not at an early point, however. It's just a matter of recognizing the lack of statistical validity a normal experiment carries" The Lord rolls hs shoulders "On the other hand, most hypotheses I tested in connection to my expected ascension were not scrutinized with expectation of repeatable result, as in: whether or not they work on other Kindred. I imagine Dragon experiments are likewise personal" Or maybe not. It's a whole Covenant dedicated to the idea of transformation, there should be some records documenting the processes, if for no other reason then to shove them in the fellow Dragons' faces.

"On that note, it was interesting to see your Grand Wyrm openly defy Priscus Simmons regarding that experiment..."

Presence
    (Watching)
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap chuckles at Thomas Boyle's observation. "Well, yeah. You have a point there. I only have to succeed once, I guess. But since failing is a good shot at ending me, I do like to have some repeatable evidence that success is likely to happen before that last all or nothing roll of the dice." he says.

At Thomas Boyle's observation of the Grand Wrym's choices, Dirt Nap shrugs, "You know, I've noticed that it's a dangerous thing, when a man gets to be an expert in something." he says. "Seems like it tends to tempt him to think he's an expert in any other thing he happens to have an opinion on. In my experience, that's a dangerous temptation, leading to all kinds of assumptions and mistakes, much of the time, fatal."

Dirt Nap sighs. "I have some areas I am pretty confident about. Why a horse does a thing, being one example." he says. "I am no kind of expert on why any of our kind do anything we do. And I'm just plain ignorant of what any of us are likely to do next."

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 13

You do not have permission to view the list of names.