Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    (Volcanic Pressure & Ash)
    Richard Price

His skin appears to take on a deep gray color with distinct parallel lines crossing his body, in what almost looks like scars but is much darker then his normal skin but as the same vertical lines connect the horizontal the brickwork pattern becomes clear. His elbows, knees, and hips seem to crack and creak as he moves and if he stretches one can swear they see the outlines of gears but they seem to be missing on second glance. His midsection bears a jagged and broken looking scar that looks as though it threatened to tear him in half, looking as thought stone had almost been chipped away.

Events always had to end, but when it came to Winter events they were usually more somber - this meant that there tended to be less confetti. As promised, Richard Price stuck around following the departure of most of the other Lost and helped the Queen of Winter with what packing and cleaning their needed to be done. This included making sure the cups - disposable or otherwise - were gathered and either sent off for cleaning or recycled appropriately. Tables would be flipped and folded so they could go back to storage, after being loaded onto the trolleys that had been brought out. Then there was the matter of the bonfire, it was doing a good job of burning itself out, but Rich had made sure to break it down enough they wouldn’t be here all night, though what would happen to them out here? Vampires?

What the Summer Ogre had done was make sure there was a smaller, much more manageable fire stoked with a couple of seats beside it. A place where those who stuck behind could remain comfortable. Comfort was also the one thing rich wished he had right now. He could feel joints creak, and fingers ache, with a hot pulse running up his back. While everything still felt light enough, the motions were what was eating him up. They were mostly done for now however.

”See, I love outdoor events as much as the next guy, but when you are cleaning up in the dark it does make me miss the exorbitant fees that come with renting something with its own clean up crew.”

He chuckled and groaned almost simultaneously as he place the last of the larger tables that had been set out onto the trolley and began to tighten the fastening belt that was holding them in place.

”But, where is the fun if you aren’t testing your own physical limits and missing your nine o’clock bedtime.”

He moved towards the smaller fire, where nearby two large plastic cups borrowed from the Funderland concessions had been borrowed and filled near to the top with the rest of the pineapple punch. The ogre sat down with a loud umph and leaned back with a sigh as his body shouted in protest while it rested, making him feel like a piece of bubble wrap. This was the point where Rich produced a small flash and begun to unscrew it.

”Now, I don’t have to worry about security hauling me off now do I? I even promise to share.”

Vodka to a Winter event, it was like prom all over again.

I promised I would help clean! Sasha Selena

Last edited by Richard Price; Mar 21st, 2019 at 04:31 PM.  Reason for Edit: code fix

S
    Sasha

After the remaining Freehold had left, Sasha was cleaning up as they all departed. Many of the Winters had stayed to help as well as Rich, yet there were things that she needed to attend to herself, other than the fire.

"Or, sometimes I wish we were as magical as say that of Harry Potter. Flick a wand, snap your fingers and things begin to clean themselves." She snickered, tying up the last of the trash. Then sighing after it was all done. The seat looked cozy, only because the evening was tiring. She felt that she put her spirit into these events, and it took a lot out of her.

Taking the seat next to Rich, she shook her head. "No, of course not. I don't see why?" She chuckled a little and waved her hand to pass on the alcohol. Besides, the Fairest had a fresh cup of coffee in her hand. "Thanks for helping me clean up, I really appreciate it."

"I also appreciate your support during story time earlier. I know you had some questions, but you'll have to refresh me a little." Taking a long sip of her coffee, she was turned between Ogre and the fire.

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

His skin appears to take on a deep gray color with distinct parallel lines crossing his body, in what almost looks like scars but is much darker then his normal skin but as the same vertical lines connect the horizontal the brickwork pattern becomes clear. His elbows, knees, and hips seem to crack and creak as he moves and if he stretches one can swear they see the outlines of gears but they seem to be missing on second glance. His midsection bears a jagged and broken looking scar that looks as though it threatened to tear him in half, looking as thought stone had almost been chipped away.

”See everyone judges me, but the first Harry Potter was the best one if you ask me. The big reveal with the turban blew my mind. I was reading it with some of the kids at the outreach program at the time, a few years after it had gotten popular, but it was my first time. They got through the chess game, and all those other traps and puzzles. Made me feel like a kid again, myself.”

He gave a chuckle as he recalled his experience with the book, comparing their own experience to that wonderful and magical world that J.K. Rowling had brought to everyone. Too bad it was very different when it came to the Lost, and while one could find day to day parlor tricks that took their minds off of things it was far from a fantastic reality, it was a hard trip for even the strongest of people as they were completely broken down during their time beyond reality.

He took the moment of rest to spike the pineapple punch just a touch before sliding the container back into his pocket under the raiment he wore to the event. Leaning back, and polishing off a good amount of the sour yet sweet punch with that extra edge now added, he listened to the stunning Queen of Sorrow offer her thanks. It caused the ogre to raise a hand, in a brushing it off motion.

”Please, please, it is the least that I can to help out. I figure as the new comer I have to pitch in somewhere. Where I spent most of my time there was an emphasis on community, but with such a population difference that community usually didn’t encompass the entire Freehold.”

And then she was kind enough to ask about his questions, which he did have. Leaning back he let the thoughts come back to him as his body yelled in protest at the lifting and turning he had done. His stony face hid that, and by resting his drink on his leg it hid the shaking of his hand.

”Ah yes, and I know it may be a bit much, especially regarding a new comer but I want to make sure I understand the city a little more and those who have weathered the storm so to speak. Mostly I wanted to know about the title of Freehold, and if there is an Oath that lends power to the wards of the city and its inhabitants. I have heard some mixed opinions on the subject from some of the residents. And some of those who spoke tonight have had some bad luck when it came where they settled.”

“Regardless of how people feel though, we are creatures of oaths and promises. Our powers are agreements, and our fates were part of raw deals. As much as they hurt us, the strength of promises can protect us. I am sorry if it sounds like a lecture but I figured I may as well as the reigning Queen what the status of this all was before I assume anything.”

He had heard good, he had heard bad. He wanted to know what was.

S
    Sasha

The Fairest had never read the Rowling books, but she watched all the movies. The children at the studio discussed them enough that she felt like she may have read them at one point. "I like hearing when someone reads or watches the first book of Harry Potter; especially the younger ones. How their minds race and they become giddy and excited with it is so warming to listen to."

Sasha hoped to have the sense of community that Rich spoke of. She felt almost as if they may be divided after the Winter Coronation. "I have longed for that sense of community again. It's something we used to have." Which was a perfect way to lead into what else he'd asked about.

She really wished everyone would get on the same page with the Freehold oath once and for all. There were enough newer people in the Freehold asking about it that being the oldest member, she was starting to become frustrated. "Years before the Dragon came around, like I mentioned while we were chatting around the fire; the Freehold was copacetic. Sure, some people had their grudges or spats like anyone else, but it felt less razor's edge, if that made sense. Because we had the Freehold Oath, there wasn't a worry of if there was a loyalist or someone sent by Them to take any of us back to our Keepers."

"Each season, you would renew to the Monarch of your season. If you were new to the Freehold and it was not your season, you pledged for a Month or each month until your season came around again. Much of the reason was due in part that people did not want to go against their courtly views if they pledged to a season that was not their own." She breathed, wondering if she was being clear enough. "For an example, if the Summer Sovereign suddenly calls for war, and you are pledged to the Freehold and that Sovereign, yet, you were a Winter, it would be against your nature to go to war. Of course, Winters help in our own way, but to straight out fight something is very difficult for our nature. I hope that makes sense." She tilted her palm to the side, with a shrug of question.

"I want our Freehold Oath reinstated. I want us to be protected as a community and so that we can start trusting each other as a community." It seemed that what was once a dire want for her, was now her next goal.

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

Rich sat and listened, tipping his drink back as he let the Onyx Sovereign explain the situation that it was before. She offered a glimpse at a time that lent itself to security, but he could also see what trouble people may have with it. He was accustomed to a highly complicated oath fine tuned after decades of use. He was never one for the finer details of it but he knew it worked. He was confident that they would be able to get something functional up and running here. It would dispel worry, strengthen their resolve, and allow them to truly build a community.

”I am sure you will get just that, Your Majesty.”

The ogre offered a smile,

”People may have had their own bad experiences elsewhere but this is all our home now, and I can’t think of anybody who wouldn’t want piece of mind at the end of the day. Know that I am on the same page with you, and if you need anything to help achieve that goal do not hesitate to call. I will offer what I can to this new city in the efforts to create a true Freehold.”

He nipped at his drink again before setting it down beside his feet, and musing for a moment.

”Realistically there are ways to word an Oath and appease the Wyrd. Create a Freehold where the institution supersedes the Seasons individually for example, while the reigning monarch may be the most important at the moment it allows the individual sovereigns to protect their courtiers from the intrusions of another so long as they continue to serve the Freehold as a whole? This is just me rambling, though.”

He chuckled and shook his head as he spitballed ideas with the Winter Queen.

[color=#ffc0cb]”Anything that doesn’t make sense, I blame the cider.”[color]

He makes sure to add that part.

”But, back to reality is there anything you can think of for the moment? I have a rainy day fund that can help in more mortal situations. I am not much of a fighter anymore, but I have some experience. I am hoping to rouse Summer’s spirit when we meet and hopefully the Court will be in line with both our views on the matter. Wish I was more use on the other side, but a bad run a few years back left me with a raw deal and I am not eager to run back.”

He was smiling, speaking softly so she could hear clearly but not blaring out all this talk of magical oaths and the like. He wanted to help, and she had a goal he could get behind.

S
    Sasha

"Indeed, experiences from the past are what make us who we are now. I completely understand when someone has a difficult time with something. Although, things may have not been on the up and up in the past for them either."

When Richard explained how the Oath could be worded, she nodded. "Oh, I'm quite aware of how they will work. Convincing others is an entirely different matter." She chuckled softly and took a long sip of her coffee while she pondered his next question.

The Dancer was confused at where his question may have spawned from. But, she didn't want to ask or backtrack due to liquor issues. The Fairest sighed and shook her head. "What I want for the Freehold and what the Freehold needs are more difficult to rebuild than I had thought."

"We've been talking about a Freehold Commons for a long time. Seeing it come to fruition has been a challenge. Some want tunnels, some want other things. I would personally like another hotel, bed and breakfast or something. At the end of the day, it comes down to what we can do without causing too much of a stir, or upsetting too many. Finding a balance to please everyone has been the most difficult, but satisfying part of who I am. Well, at least to the Freehold."

She softly rolled her shoulder a little. "But, the commons are is an entirely different undertaking. I think when we have the Oath in place other things will fall in."

Taking another sip of her coffee, her brow quirked. "Unless you were getting at something else with your question." Sasha faintly laughed.

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

”It is like giving medicine to a cat, it may not want it but it needs it. And there is always that fight within ourselves about what we want and what is needed.

He leaned forward, elbows on his knees with his hands clasped together, looking into the fire as the heat and smoke stung his eyes, and the smoke filled his lungs making him almost need to cough to try and free them. He ran his tongue across his upper lip in a moment of thought, taking in what the sovereign had to say. He smiled and shared a laugh with her.

”Nah, I don’t think I was getting at too much. I was just wanting to know what I could do to help. I came here for rest, relaxation, maybe a few trips up and down the river. Yet, here I am, trying to help get things together. Probably because I like an honest vision when I see one. Protecting people is earnest, and not an easy thing to fake. A commons sounds like a great idea, I remember there were a number of them back in LA. A hotel? Now that is an idea, was that what was in place here before?”

It was difficult for Rich as he hadn’t seemed to put much thought into this himself.

”I guess part of me was curious, being a little older is no excuse to learn new things when you find a new home. Plus I was genuine, if you need help I am more than willing to pull my wait - as much as a past his prime Iron Spear can.”

Another chuckle, as he reached into his pocket pulling out a business card. It was a simple black piece of cardstock with gold lettering, his name, and a number.

”My contact information, do not hesitate to contact me if you think there is something I can help with. We should probably get the last bits rolled into storage though, at this point we may as well be racing the sun.”

Would you like to continue this, or save pretty much the same talk for the sovereign thread? Don't want to have the same thing happening in two places!

S
    Sasha

The Fairest sighed a little. "It was the Four Seasons Hotel. Aptly named of course. It served as a common place for anyone in any Court and some would stay in the long stay rooms until they could find something." Her lips pursed a little. "As much as I want something similar, there's probably not much of a chance. We had found a bed and breakfast at one point, but no one seemed to be interested. Of course now, I don't think the place would have big enough to fit us all now."

Nodding, he was correct. The Dancer took his card with the lettering and she slipped it into her pocket. The day was approaching at some point. "Well, yeah, we can get the stuff rolled up and put away. Although, you asked me all of these questions tonight, I didn't get to ask you many." She chuckled softly, while standing up to go find the garden hose rolled out from the fountain area.

"Sorry, I don't have a fancy card. I'll text you my number."

It's entirely up to you, we can talk about other things.

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

A Hotel for the Lost, he had seen them, and it was a wonderful idea, and great in concept. It was shame that it didn’t seem to stand anymore as it would be a great rallying point. She brought up the bed and breakfast and the lack of interest, which made him visibly frown a touch. This was a place that seemed to be rife with inaction or lacking of interest in the infrastructure. Everyone seemed to simply get by and be happy. It was nice that they could feel that way, and feel safe however it did nothing to prepare for the future or the unforeseen. There were roads that needed building.

”You see, I am an international man of mystery and if I told anyone what I do...well...I would probably bore them, because it hasn’t been much in the last few years. My galavanting is well behind me. Despite that, if there is anything I can do to shed some light for you feel free to ask away, hopefully you won’t be bored to tears.”

“And if you need it, I can put you in contact with my card guy. You get to pick colors, font, and everything. I suggest indented text, makes you feel like a big deal versus keeping it flat.

He fastened the tables down and listened, letting her come up with some real fun questions, and pausing himself to think about them when they came - if they did. He took advantage of the moment to groan and push the carts off to the side, leaving them in position to be done with the heavy lifting. The staff were going to get the stuff to the storage sheds in the morning, so now it was only light lifting duties for the two of them.

S
    Sasha

The Fairest didn't watch it much, but somehow some James Bond jargon filtered into her head. "Okay, well what do you like to do in your free time? Do you like television, music or do you have a hobby of some sort?"

Her face was a little pensive though. She didn't like to hear that something may bore her. But the Dancer didn't say anything regarding it, and her face softened up more as she thought about it.

Laughing slightly. "I have some from the dance studio. But, I really don't take them with me to Freehold events. I'm not really big into carrying cards like that with me. I have my cell phone and exchange numbers if needed." The Onyx shrugged a little. Besides it wasn't really the way of Winter to keep those things in case her number needed to suddenly change, or someone stole her purse.

After all but the last tables were down, she smiled. "I'm glad people took a majority of the leftover food. I'd rather not have to have it laying around. I can't even take it to the Studio because the kids would be a little difficult with all the sugar, not to mention who knows what kid has an allergy or what strict diet their parents have them on." She partially rolled her eyes, but she remembers having to eat lean when she was a child to maintain her weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread