Ended
Watch

Incense and Chess

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    T
    Thomas Boyle

The first word that comes to mind when visiting the Temple is 'raw'. When arriving through the main entrance, one directly enters the ritual room, as is usual with churches. Aside from several wooden benches against the walls and the altar, this main room is mostly empty. The walls are decorated (or 'decorated') by what remains of the graffiti crafted by previous occupants. There are hundreds of etchings on the altar, and upon closer inspection they are revealed to be the names of gods revered across the world.

But perhaps the most distinct element of the decor is the inscription painted in red, above the altar:

"THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE/AND WITH STRANGE AEONS, EVEN DEATH MAY DIE"

This night, the center of the room is occupied by a simple wooden table and two chairs, one of which is taken by Thomas Boyle, clothed in a simple dark shirt and slacks. On the table lies a set up chess board, and apparently the pieces on both sides were moved.

If one wishes to breathe, they'd detect a faint smell of incense and sage. There's little light in the Temple, provided by several candles placed at just the right distance from one another to make the Beast aware, but not stir it to any... violent action.

In complete silence, the Ventrue is waiting.

Selena Vivian York

V
    Vivian York

Being the Daeva that she was, there was much pondering of what to wear to the Temple. It wasn't for any sort of mass or celebration, so business casual? Casual? It wasn't the farm anymore so there wasn't a worry about wandering around in the grass or trees. So tonight, heels and a casual suit it was. Little black gloves that were the shade of black she had been wearing. Some may argue that there were not shades of black, but she thought she had enough to make a case.

Arriving in her Chevy Nova, the song she'd recently listened to memorably, pouring through the speakers. On the outside, it was an older church with a lot of character. She could see why the Crone may have picked this place, yet she'd make sure she asked anyway. Walking past the normal entrance of the church into the main worship area, the candles showed the way it seemed. When she entered quietly, as if being in the church of the original religion, she quietly shut the door. Instinctively, she breathed in the smell of what remained of the past, incense, and whatever else was burned during masses.

Vivian looked up to the alter, and didn't expect to see what she did. Taking a moment to read the sign, she wasn't sure what to make of it, but it was probably a saying of the Acolytes.

In a solemn voice, the Daeva said in a normal speaking tone when she saw Thomas. "Hello." Which probably resonated through the large room like an echo in a cavern. "Well this is quite the place." Her grey blue eyes looking around the walls and studying them while she glanced between that, and the Ventrue.

T
    Thomas Boyle

Vivian's voice indeed resonates in the ritual room, and it is what pulls Thomas attention to her - curiously, the Daeva appears not only to want to tread silently, but also chose a look more... subdued than what the Crone usually saw her wearing. If it's a sign of respect for the hallowed ground, or something else, time will tell.

The primal urge to flee the superior predator was quickly silenced. It would be disrespectful both to his guest and to the powers venerated here.

"Vivian, welcome to the Temple of the Forgotten!" The Ventrue says with poorly-concealed enthusiasm, which prevents him from catching himself until it is too late "Sorry, I meant Seneschal York. I'm used to the informality of address at the Farm, and would like to extend that here, but it was not my place to rob you of the title so quickly" Respecting one's position is both a matter of survival and principle - after all, if you got a title, you put in the hours, sweat and blood for it. To erase the bad first impression Thomas chooses to give the Daeva whatever time she needs to answer, and then continue.

"It's still a work in progress. I'm trying to build a library here, and reopen the meeting room in the back, but it's hard to do without the money. Besides, I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes by making it too large"

He looks to the chess set "Do you fancy a game while we talk?"

V
    Vivian York

The Daeva smiled with a quirk in her lips at his sudden excitement. It's as if they didn't really receive visitors that were not of the Acolytes. "This is quite the place.*"

Waving her hand. "The name is fine. But if in public, I go by Ms. York away from the Domain places." Her eyes still looked around the tall walls and graffiti everywhere. "Did you ever read through all of it?" Motioning to the walls of paint.

Her eyes widened and she chuckled with a turn of her head. "I haven't played in many, many years. But sure, why not?" Despite that she didn't fancy it like many, it was good to do something that required thought and calculation. "Just be gentle, I'm a bit rusty."

"It's been a few years since I've visited any Acolyte sanctuaries. In the past I'd been to a few of the significant masses, such as the one for Winter Solstice for the Long Nights. I do quite enjoy the ones where the Domain is invited."

"Whose toes would you step on making this place too large?" Taking a seat opposite the Ventrue and setting her pocketbook by her ankles.

ooc*

T
    Thomas Boyle

"That is understandable, and the first name assumption stretches only to the Circle's holdings. After all, Creation is Power - if you've built yourself up to the point of Seneschal, then no one has the right to deny it" The Ventrue wonders what her reaction to this seemingly random piece of Crone teachings will be "Most of it is useless" he commensts, regarding the graffiti "There are some occult incantations left by mortals, preschool-level magic that doesn't even work... and some useful bits and pieces. I keep all of it, because it's now as much a part of this structure as anything else"

He smiles apologetically while preparing the chess set "I'm sorry Vivian, but I never insulted anyone by presuming they can't match me in a competition, regardless of what they say. If you don't beat me - please enjoy the challenge. If you do - savor the well-earned victory. Don't worry, though, I'm not exactly Kasparov either. Haven't played for years now" He smiles to the memory of his last game "Black or white?"

So, there was a time when the Circle was more popular? Interesting "Well, the rebuilt Circle has yet to host any public celebrations. But it's definitely something to plan" For a lot of reasons, spiritual and political alike.

An eyebrow arches "Don't we have a rule that says our Haven can only grow so much without an approval from the Regent? Valencia doesn't have one, but it only means it falls directly under the rule of the Prince. And from what I gather, Alessandra Antinori isn't exactly very fond of the Circle"

He considers his next words carefully "But we needn't discuss Domain politics... unless you want, of course. In fact, I'd like to know what does Vivian York do when she is not attending to her Seneschal duties" The answer may very well be 'beheading nosy idiots', but... nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

OOC

V
    Vivian York

It was unique to hear what the Acolyte's reflection on names and titles had been. She let her face ponder while he spoke and held a little question in her brow. "Creation is Power. That's not something I'd heard of previously."

Looking at his gesturing to the board, she flickered between the options. "Let's go with black." Sliding her hand away. "I don't gloat with victories such as this. It's not my style. Although, I shouldn't say I wouldn't." Vivian chuckled with a wink.

"One of the former Reeves, or Sheriff's if you will, was the Heirophant of the Acolytes. He was quite good at what he did, and a very amicable person as well. He didn't want the Circle to be a mockery of the Domain, which is why he had some open masses."
    She really missed Chris Wooding, but that seemed like such a long time ago.

There was a light-bulb of sorts that flickered her in eyes with an ah-ha moment. "Yes, that's correct. There is no Regent there as of yet." It was strange, but if Vivian wanted a Regency, she'd only need ask. It didn't seem like it was a necessary thing on her to-do list though. "I guess that would be a good goal to have, hm? Acquiring a Regency, or at least have good standing with whomever is chosen as the Regent." She shrugged a little, it was probably something obvious to Thomas but it was worth discussing nevertheless.

But his next question or statements, made her chuckle loudly. "I own Smoke and Glass, a new smoking tavern in the city. Which was a great undertaking with all of California's anti-smoking laws. So after all that research, paperwork and the lot was done, I had been busy with that. I think it's going rather well thus far, so now I can relax a little. As for recreational endeavors? I typically like to go to the Shady Lady Saloon, it holds many memories for me. I also do a great deal of charity work. When all the fires were around the area, I purchased many lots of face masks to hand out to the homeless. I didn't think it was fair that they had minimal protection whereas anyone with money could easily get their hands on some."

T
    Thomas Boyle

Vivian sounds like this is not her first time brushing off an Acolyte, which makes her lack of knowledge on the Crone's tenet that much more curious "I'm surprised you didn't - you sound like you knew the Hierophant Sheriff well enough" Or well enough, at least "In any case, it is one of the two pillars of the Circle's philosophy. See, when you create something, be it a painting, an idea or status, you imbue it with a fragment of your soul. That mark is visible to everyone who witnesses your work and influences the world around you. That is Power. That is how we can become truly Immortal... or at least as immortal as possible"

He ponders the topic for a moment "Example: when someone here says 'I have to take it up with the Seneschal', they don't mean any Seneschal or a Seneschal in the abstract. What they are saying is 'I have to take it up with Vivian York'"

Well, that was a pretty long-winded explanation. But Thomas prides himself on being thorough.

Wait, a what now? "A... mockery of the Domain? Was there any reason, at the time, that the Circle would be that?" Is this her polite way of saying that the Circle is a mockery right now, and that something needs to be done?

"Well, it'd certainly ensure that my studies and research can be conducted in peace" Thomas responds "You know the Prince a lot better than I do. If I may... pick your brains" or cut some corners "what is the best way to stay in her good graces? Every ruler is different, after all"

Oh, so that is why Smoke and Glass was so vigorously advertised. And then comes this part about charity "Is it fair that an antelope has no teeth with which to defend itself? Or is it an ill-formed question that sees weakness but refuses to see strength?" He smiles "I've always had mixed feelings about charity, but some members of our Domain have caused me to... reconsider. In any case, it appears sensible that vampires, as predators and beings superior to mortals, have a certain... duty of care towards the herd. Noblesse oblige, if you will"

V
    Vivian York

Vivian titled her head. "We were more focused on fucking than talking about Covenant business." Stating matter-of-factly, she didn't want to beat around the bush. "I don't think he thought I was the right fit for the Crone. That was perhaps his decision as Heirophant. I asked questions here and there, and he talked about the Mother but not in great detail other than at masses."

Yet, she remarked on his words. The fragment of soul was very intriguing. "So if I am understanding this, you are immortalized by your station or creation. The thing you create or rise to, is now your immortality? Such as the Queens of England or Prime Ministers?" Her brow quirked in curiosity to see if she was on the right path of thought.

"There was not a reason then or now, that I'm aware of. But that is why Mr. Wooding held these masses and invited many to show how beautiful and special it was; the meaning it gave to the Acolytes. Besides, it seems the only Covenant that has had any mockery in this Domain has been the Carthians." She chuckled softly.

When it came to the Prince, Ale was quite different from those she'd known in the past. Some had particular patterns of how to succeed, their Gangrel prince did not. So answering this question posed some difficulty. "Loyalty and honesty. You're correct, every ruler is different, but both of those things are what would solidly keep you in her good graces."

Thomas' remarks about charity were something she sort of expected. "That is indeed why I do it. We take a lot to extend our existence, some Kine have had nothing, born with nothing. Others fell into hard times, and perhaps had been dealt a poor hand. I don't do it to make myself feel better, or to look good. I do what I do in hopes that one day their existence, no matter how short, is just a little better than it was yesterday."

T
    Thomas Boyle

There was a thousand ways to express what Vivian's just said, and yet the Daeva chose the most direct one. Very telling, although the frail Ventrue doesn't seem fazed by the coarse language "Ah. I see. You chose the First Estate, if I recall correctly? I take it you weren't always a member - what made you choose it over others?" Of course, the Seneschal is beyond proselytizing now, but the answer can still offer some insight into how she thinks.

He smiles as she ponders the Crone's tenet "Immortalized? No. Immortality is just a word, or rather - an asymptote, something to strive towards but which can never be fully grasped. Eventually, everything ends, and for everything in the universe there is a weapon against which it has no defense. Fire. Time. Disease. Guilt. All life ends in stillness, and from stillness, new life is born" There's a lot of philosophy packed into that rather short (for Thomas' standards) statement. Still, so far Vivian proved to be a curious and open-minded sort.

It seems the masses made quite the impression on Vivian, and - possibly - others "Then we will rise up to this legacy" He said firmly. Plenty of occasions to do that, and he is sure the Hierophant will be open to the idea. "Well, that'd explain why we see so few Carthians in Sacramento. Word must be getting out. Although one wonders what is the reason for this fall in prestige" Perhaps a lesson to be learned, as well.

He nods as Vivian mentions the virtues Alessandra prizes "Yes, she struck me as rather straightforward, as have the other members of her Court. A nice change of pace from the layers of horseshit one gets used to in other Domains" Still, the Prince's waning humanity is apparent, and that too might color her reactions.

Another nod when she explains her charitable motives further "And yet still, charity is a dangerous tool for all involved. Like a grand, old tree it shelters, but also sucks the ground dry. Your lack of rush to save the world from itself does you credit, Vivian. Many'd rather cocoon their wards, denying them a chance to learn. That is another of the Crone's lessons - Tribulation brings Enlightenment"

V
    Vivian York

"Yes, I chose it after many years of personal deliberation. Joining it in some cities seemed rather precocious. As if everyone was doing it. Believe me, I understand they are very much about power but in Toronto, it seemed like a disease." She rolled her shoulder slightly. "It also had much to do with my upbringing. I was born into a very staunch and astute family, where manners and details were always obeyed. Using the wrong fork was an atrocity. I didn't want a repeat of this. I had grown fond of being quite sharp tongued, and didn't want to be hindered by it. Now, there doesn't seem to be a problem. It really does depend on what Domain someone is in and how each Covenant is ran."

Oh get out of my head Lion King. The song suddenly roared into the cavities of her brain's hearing and she struggled to actually fully listen to Thomas, having to repeat all that was said in her head. "Which is why they call it the Circle, correct? There is a lot of beautiful facets to the Crone that I can understand, much more than the Dragons or the Lancea for example. But, that may have also been because of the company I kept when I arrived to Sacramento." Her hands flitted a little out to the side.

Vivian laughed when he mentioned the layers. "Yes, a lot of bollocks seems to happen within other Domains. Some pomp and circumstance is necessary, but often times just cutting to the chase will get you where you want to go faster."

The Daeva didn't hate the Carthians, but many of them weren't worth their weight in gold either, let alone salt.
    Still, no one seemed to want to take on this forsaken covenant, and she wasn't about to encourage it either. "With the exception of one particular Carthian, the books lead me to believe that all of them have gone about rekindling the Covenant with utter stupidity. I've read through past Harpy reports, Domain information and whatnot. That's the conclusion I came to see. I think they may have a chance if someone was smart about it. A woman named Ashley Cohen, and a Ventrue, has made attempts for the Covenant again. However, she's had business to attend to outside the Domain quite a bit."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 14

You do not have permission to view the list of names.