(Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

-2 Vitae for Blush of Life and Drink, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

Laughing, “I was about to say that I believe you can find a use for those skills with Kindred. There is always a lie hidden somewhere, a truth twisted to best suit oneself.” So was their way.

Smirking, “Seems I’m going to have to be cautious around you.” Which she already was, but he was amusing to her. "Difficile." the smirk remaining. "A skill you always had, or one years in the court room taught you?" might be good to know. Maybe.

“I’ll provide what I can. The Invictus can trace their history and roots back to ancient Rome, one of the first Covenants. We approach our condition a little differently than the other Covenants. It’s simply balance. We know what we are, and what we are capable of. And over time, we each lose touch with our humanity and become closer to the Beast. But the Invictus teaches us how to properly act not only around Kine, but Kindred as well. That even when our Beast purrs for us rend the flesh from someone, we have been taught that it isn’t proper behavior, and civilized beings do not act in such a way.” Sometimes it was ok though.

“And your suspicion is correct, we hold no religious belief. We’ve come to realize there are certain truths about the world around us, we accept it as it was, as it is and as it always will be. The Invictus leads, as it has done for centuries. With that comes power, and with power comes respect and privilege.” It wasn’t for everyone. “To me, and why I joined, was the Invictus holds ideals that align with my own and what I was looking to accomplish. It was a way to help me achieve my goals in the Domain and Kine world. In some ways, it helped me focus and see my potential. I was able to have the comfort of Kindred supporting me and ties in the community that made what I wanted easier.” Was simple to her. “Unable to use my family name to gain the influence I wanted, I had to adapt, and the Invictus helped.”

Nodding, “She’s quite enjoyable to spend time with.” And that was the truth. “I can let her know, but I can’t control her schedule. As the owner of a very successful theater, her nights can be full. But I do know she makes times to meet with other Kindred.”
    Alessandra Antinori │BP 6│Strong Italian Accent

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Bah!" he replies, waving a hand dismissively. "You are wise to be cautious but in my experience one can only tell so many lies. Each one stacks upon the other and the more you tell the easier they are to be discovered."

He grins as he continues, "Difficult? It is counterproductive for me to deceive those I will be serving or working with for an extended time. Even one minor deception can undo years of honest work, so I value them much like Kindred value life boons."

Chuckling, "Actually, you may be surprised to know that I wasn't always the conversationalist. My tendencies for having my nose in a book predate my embrace significantly. As such a timid and unambitious adolescent, I spent a great deal of time observing people and how they interact with each other which laid the groundwork for my understanding of body language. Once I started working the law, that skill was refined."

"Of course, I understand. I asked merely for the purpose of taking the edge off of meeting someone unknown. Much like how Sheriff Moretti introduced me to Seneschal York, it just makes conversations start more comfortably. I'm sure you might communicate the converse for those who may not be ideal conversationalists", he smiles proud in his own right.

"That is interesting, and makes sense. It is a wonder that there aren't more Lords that are Invictus." He flits his fingers upward, "Your explanation does remind me of one other thing that I meant to ask. You were seeking influence with Police and City Hall because you yourself would have trouble establishing solid connections and influence there due to your..." he smirks "...reputation."

He shifts in his chair to lean forward slightly, "May I ask why the focus on police influence specifically?"

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)
    First thing you will notice about Ale is the abundance of her tattoos. They go from her face all the way to her feet, and not much is left bare. The second thing? Her strong Italian accent.

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

A nod, “Guess it’s a good thing lying was never my strong suit then.” Her tone heavy with humor. She never saw the need to lie when you could just be blunt and honest.

“Timid? I have a hard time picturing you as timid and unambitious.” She says, “So what changed then? Usually there is some event or some realization that sparks such things.”

A shrug, “Should it be required, I certainly pass along pertinent information. I don’t like to send people with less than perfect manners along to Archon Twist without fair warning to her. Not that she needs it, but I still do it.” Twist was quite capable of handling anyone.

“The previous Prince of the Domain was a Lord. And was a highly respected member of the Invictus. From what I’ve heard, typically, Lords are drawn to the First Estate, but, it isn’t for everyone.” Not every Lord wanted the power the Invictus could bring. "Some Kindred choose their Covenant because of the Sire, or to spite their Sire. It's always been fascinating to me what draws someone to their choice."

The smirk was returned with a chuckle, “Reputation? A polite way of putting what I do. I’ll have to remember that one.” In some circles it sounded better than mafia queen.

“Simply put, it’s an area of influence I struggle with. Which is to be expected with who I am and what I do. But I want a way to know what the police are focusing on, especially if it’s my men and I. It’s extremely useful and beneficial to someone like myself to have an in. Back in Italy, it was easier, here, I have find other means.” A shrug.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Lying itself is overrated, but knowing what it takes to lie allows me to smell someone's bullshit coming a mile away," he grins, appreciating the candor of their conversation.

He shrugs lightly, "My nature led me to growing up faster than my confidence could set in. I graduated High School early and then proceeded to earn my degree in Law and recognized by the BAR before I was old enough to appreciate a good wine." Smirking as he continues, "Children in their inexperience will cruelly seek out something that is different, younger or weaker and focus on it to try and elevate themselves. Somewhere along the line I had the epiphany that over a long enough timeline only experience matters, not age, and that is what these bullies and elitists were attempting to diminish. So I observed and at the right moment I volunteered to practice in debate with the ring leader of the band of assholes."

He leans in with a wry smile, "They never saw me coming. All of a sudden, the young boy who tore apart the pompous would-be lawyer's defense was the talk of the University."

Straightening his posture, "Looking back, that was the catalyst that started molding me to who I am today. I try to be mindful to never become my opponent but Pride has a way of sneaking up on you, especially with success."

He listens as Alessandra explains her motivations for the contacts within the police, "This will seem obviously self-serving but if that is your goal I would recommend considering a slightly different approach."

Adjusting in his chair, "You want to keep a step ahead of the Police, but they are only the face of your problem. They are employees of the city and like most good employees they follow orders. The people who are pulling the strings are the bureaucrats in City Hall and arguably more important, the District Attorney and the bench Judges at the Courthouse. They investigate the information, decide the crimes the police will pursue and they consider preliminary evidence to issue warrants, subpoenas and et cetera. Having strong allies there is much more efficient because we can shift law enforcement's attention elsewhere to anyone trying to encroach in your territory and shut down any warrants necessary to legally obtain information about your business interests."

He taps a finger against the table, "Simply put, why settle for just knowing what they're doing and being reactive when you could hold the reins."

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

She had to laugh as she nodded, “That is true. Though with how overrated it, so many attempt it. Which is quite sad. And with how paranoid our kind are, I’m surprised at how often lying is tried.” A shake of her head.

There was obvious interest on her face as she listened, “It’s always interesting to me how others grow up. And what we experience helps shape us into who we become. So you are driven and possibly an overachiever? Which isn’t a bad thing, quite the opposite actually.” In her opinion anyways. “I had a different experience, as I’ve never experienced the whole bully thing. I had the safety of my name back home and who my father was. So no kids dared mess with me or say a bad word. Though it didn’t stop me from stepping in for those who needed someone to protect them.” She shrugs, names had power back home.

“Well placed and timed words can be more dangerous than a Savages claws.” She wiggles her fingers with a smirk.

“Oh that it does. Pride will take down the most powerful challenger quicker than anything else. Something always worth keeping in check.” It got her a few times. Ok, more than a few times.

“A different approach? I’m all ears.” Could be useful.

She nods, “Your words have merit. And believe it or not, but I’ve already began to insert my influence into City Hall. It not only helps with what you stated, but helps getting properties as well. But things had to be shifted around and I haven’t given it the attention I should.” Shit happens. “But I like the way you think. You’re the first to offer such an idea to me. And that tells me might think alike on those matters.” he might actually prove quite useful.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque smiled at the Prince's response to his suggestion. It seemed the Savage had an eye for strategy as well, "When we first met each other I promised to establish myself here as a Lawyer for you to benefit from as needed. Shortly afterwards you announced your prerequisites for anyone seeking to serve as your Keeper."

He pauses briefly, as with the last word it was clear he was getting to the self-serving part, "At the time, as much as I felt I could fill those shoes I knew that if I were to pursue establishing the specific connections you requested with the Police it would put me off the course to fulfilling that promise." He makes a sweeping motion with his right hand, "Which is why I never mentioned my interest until your last court."

"As I became more acclimated to the Domain and your... reputation," a grin accompanying the liked word, "It became clear to me that my promise may ultimately serve you better to achieve your goals after all. I am delighted that you see that potential."

"Now, I already promised you my service in that capacity so I have already removed my most valuable bargaining chip," he shrugs his shoulders with a coy grin, "I am a man of my word so you will benefit from my services either way, no question. However, I will have finished the first stages of groundwork next month. I have established a new identity and secured some allies within City Hall. My next step is to have the appropriate documents created so that my new identity will uphold against the most rigorous scrutiny, which is a must before I can be acknowledged by the California BAR. At that point, my alliances and influence will grow but will likely plateau without an established practice to lend credence to my legal efforts in the Kine world."

He gestures with his hands openly, "And this is where my proposal comes in for your consideration. I can absolutely do all of these things by my word and we can revisit my needs as I hit that plateau." He raises a single finger, "Or, you can invest in my abilities proactively should there not be a more attractive bid for the position of Keeper. I believe I would serve you well in that capacity and it would grant me the tools I would need to keep influence progressing strong without experiencing a plateau."

He smiles as he wraps up, "In exchange for your investment, I can provide monthly updates on my progress and should the unlikely event occur that you feel dissatisfied with my progress I would be willing to resign at your request and offer a negotiated boon to make you whole. Consider it my guarantee of your satisfaction. As you mentioned, I always aim to exceed expectations."

"I was not certain how much time would be permitted to offer our interest and credentials in court, but with so many moving parts in my proposal I wanted to make sure you could ask any questions and clarify any details well in advance for your careful consideration. I also did not want to disclose the finer details publicly, for your benefit and mine. I fully appreciate that I will not be receiving an answer one way or the other tonight", he bows his head respectfully and awaits any questions.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

She waits to respond, curious to see where he was going with his words.

And there it was. Not pursing her request due to his promise. Not that she put stock in Kindred promises, without being bound by an Oath, they were simply words. But he seemed genuine and serious. So far.

So she listens more.

“Over the years I’ve learned to see the potential in what others suggest. It hasn’t been easy, spending most of my years on my own. But I have no problem giving credit when someone has a good idea.” Credit where it was due.

“Having another identity set up is a huge step. I suspect there will be those that either think they don’t need it, or are unable to secure one. I’ve learned that the importance of another identity sometimes is lost on those not in the criminal part of the world. So, we’ll see how that goes.” Plus some were unsure how to even go about getting one.

“I have to say, it sounds very carefully planned out. Is planning things out something you do?”
    she wasn’t good at planning. Sometimes in a fight she could, but mostly It was just winging it. “Which could prove quite beneficial.” To both of them.

“Invest?”
    a slow nod of her head. “My investment would be granting you the position of Keeper?” what was it with everyone and that damn position? What was so special about it?

“So tell me, aside from what you’ve already laid out, how are you more qualified than the others? Why should you be given the position and not someone else?” an easy enough question. “And I’m glad you understand that no answer will be provided tonight. I don’t make snap decisions, well, unless I have to. And those are specific situations.”

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

He nods at the first question, "I am extremely prudent. After a lifetime of looking at case after case where a single, minor detail turned everything upside down it becomes an instinct. I try to anticipate every hurdle, every reaction and every possibility to determine the most ideal execution and what I would do if the most ideal path was suddenly not an option."

He nods a second time, "That is correct."

He listens to both of Alessandra's questions before answering, "To your first question, I cannot honestly compare my qualities to the unknown qualities of others. In the legal arena we would call that 'puffing'. The literal term would be 'bullshitting'" he smirks before continuing, "As for your second question, the plan that I laid out is not why I say I would be a good Keeper of your Elysium. It may highlight some attributes I have that would lend themselves well to the Domain and possibly even the role, but that is all. The reason I say I would serve well as your Keeper is that I have it on good authority from a striking young woman that I am one of the only individuals to ask about and appreciate the art and decor of your Elysium." he grins, hoping she recalls her own words.

"That being one of the primary responsibilities of the position, I think that shows I have an honest interest in that area instead of an insincere one to simply garner a title. Through our talks, I have built an understanding of your tastes in art, what message you would like to send and what mood you wish to set with the decor. If I am truly the only person who has done so, then who else could really be your Keeper as opposed to reflecting themselves in your hall? The other responsibility of keeping the Peace are shared with Sheriff Moretti and Alder Twist which leaves only the last responsibility of keeping things tidy before and after official events- an achievement I think we could agree most anyone could manage with success. So, my best case for what qualities I offer to the role specifically lie in the pleasant conversations on art we've had to date."

Gesturing a hand outward, "In short, I'm aware that the position is largely ceremonious in nature but still no less of an honor to be chosen for. I pursue it because I have very much enjoyed and appreciated our discussions and I know, in addition, I can leverage the opportunity to keep things moving smoothly with the Judicial plan I outlined, giving you the front to back influence you desire in Sacramento. This is an opportunity that would not seem to present itself often given the tenure of your officials, so I see this as the best possible way to execute my plan."

He shrugs with a smile before continuing, "Since I do not know who all are in the running I will at least say this: Your announcement placed the proverbial carrot on a stick. In the end, you may want to consider separating out those who merely chased the carrot from those who showed thought of what lies beyond the carrot. Anyone who remains would be my competition as I doubt you would favor a lemming in the role. From there, I trust your wisdom completely whether or not you choose me." he bows his head with the last sentence.

A short pause before adding, "On the contrary, I was counting on that." in regards to making snap decisions.

Blood Hunt:

Presence
    (Commanding)
    Striking Looks
    (Tattooed Beauty)
    Blood Potency(+1)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Retainer
    (Gabriel)

Known as Sofia De Luca

Gabriel, Ghoul
    Cain, Hell Hound
    Alessandra Scenes

-1 Vitae Blush of Life, 

+1
    SL
    PRE

“How has that worked out for you?” she asks, “Because I’ve found in my world that there is no amount of planning that will prepare you for everything. Take planning an encounter with Brood, we had it all planned out, where people would be, everything.” Then she shakes her head, “It quickly went to hell. We won, but one simply cannot plan for what an enemy will do. But maybe my experiences have been different than yours.” And Brood were unpredictable at times.

Laughing, “I think I like both terms.” Words could be entertaining at times. And then amusement on her face, “Striking young woman you say huh?” she had to laugh some more. “I suppose it’s a good thing we don’t age then.” She says with a chuckle and a wink. “And yes, you are the only one who has inquired about the art. I had hoped for more to notice, but, everyone has their own things going on.” A shrug.

She couldn’t argue with the points he was making. Each one right and well thought out.

“I think I can see why you’ve been successful as a lawyer Mr Jacque.” It sounded like a compliment in her head. “We’ve talked twice and you’ve been able to figure all that out? Not sure if I should be skeptical or impressed. Maybe a bit of both.” Or maybe he just paid way too much attention?

So was that why there was the sudden interest in the position? Because of the tenure of the other officials? It would explain a lot. But there was yet still one left, but that was best saved.

“Well, I appreciate how blunt and honest you are about it. Finding someone willing to be both of those things with me is a rare thing. And be respectful about it? Impressive.” While he was flattering her a bit, she didn’t get the impression it was all for show.

Smirking, “I know of those who have met with me to express their interest. What I’m curious to see is who kept it to themselves.” Though would those who she knew about still be chasing the position? Laughing, “I only like my soldiers to be lemmings and do what’s ordered.” Though that wasn’t a problem.

“Snap decisions lead to mistakes, and those mistakes can have dire consequences.”
    As could leading with emotions, which was why she left hers at home most of the time.

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"The skill has served me well," he smiles before adding, "But if you're asking if I'm infallible... no, nobody is ever truly able to see everything and even I am capable of being surprised. However, when something unplanned does unfold for me it then becomes one of many considerations cataloged in the back of my mind for the future. Do you fancy Chess? It is similar to how you learn to win, but with a lot more pieces and a much larger board."

He flits his fingers outward, "Take your situation with the Brood, for example. I assume you won because your experience allowed you to adapt to the poor development. After the fact, you no doubt recognized some opportunities in that approach that lent itself poorly to the situation going to hell. Now, should you find yourself in a similar situation again you will undoubtedly look for that same set of circumstances and have a means to defend or counter it in your back pocket. What I do is no different, I simply do that with nearly everything I do. That's what made me such a potent lawyer."

He chuckles, "For a more amusing example of my prudence take the first time we met. The reason I chose an ice sculpture was not only in the interest of the Court theme. Should you have had some disdain for the roots it had in religion or if you simply did not enjoy the art for one reason or another you would have had the pleasure of watching it melt rapidly with only a handful of table salt." Grinning, "I am, of course, elated that you had a much more positive response."

Sharing in the laugh and pleasantries, "Timelessness has certainly blessed you, Prince Antinori. For me it unfortunately underscored the need for a new identity. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd end up in front of an old judge one day being interrogated on how someone my age looks so young. I'm quite jealous, it is so much easier when you don't have to play by the rules."

"I listen well and pay careful attention to detail. Technically speaking, it did take three conversations with you to be certain, including tonight's discussion of politics and your goals. Most of all, I actually would blame the art in your case. Your perspectives, the artists you like and the prints and paintings you seek- all a collection of small clues and details found in wonderful conversation that led to the here and now." He pauses with a playful grin, "Though, I find skepticism is healthy in moderation," bowing his head, "Thank you, nevertheless."

Glancing over to the painting on the wall before pointing to it, "Speaking of which, I meant to say that is a wonderful piece. It is very fitting for the contrasts you have in your office decor."

Nodding in agreement, "Indeed they do." He kept it simple in response to her statement. He was confident that careful consideration as opposed to snap decisions were only a benefit to his case.

Blood Hunt:

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread