41 - 50
DISPLAYED
(SotA) Sanctum of the Ancient

Page 5 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

Flashes of half seen things through cracks in space play through Langdon's mind as he sees the ocean. Vast, deep, endless. Is this being from another world? Is it the incarnation of such a place? Is the ocean a metaphor for something even an Awakened mage can't comprehend? All valid questions and ones that Langdon regretably has to push aside for now.

"Our.. host is something I can't really describe. Vast, deep, an ocean. Or something like it." The Stalker nods to their host. "Apologies, the protections your Master had placed on this location are fading. We found the entrance to this sanctum and decided to see what it was." Caution is the watchword Langdon feels right now.

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Personal Spells: 1/3
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

The Guardian stares at the woman with a frown, unimpressed, rather, annoyed. Great, not only he had to deal with the legacy of a master who seemingly had been lost to the ages, but there was the added nuisance of a woman who seemingly didn't know what discretion was.
    He says nothing, but his stern look of disapproval is telling.
    "This is likely a construct", he tells Langdon. "He has no Aura. He's not alive in the common sense of the word. I assume his master relinquished most protections before leaving, otherwise, the patterns would have have behaved violently at the time of his death. Since the protections are slowly fading away, it means he hasn't been here for a long time. If his prolonged absence was voluntary, he would have taken steps to dissociate from this place, which really suggests one thing..."
    The Guardian looks around, searching the area for Atlantean Runes or the signs of a ritual that might allow him to gain control over the creature. Unlikely, he finds nothing. If the place harbors any sort of control panel, the Guardian hasn't be able to find out.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-05 18:14:01 Winter rolls 5 to Occult Investigation (10 Again) 4, 2, 7, 2, 3 failure

Stats

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

Abacus wanted to become more familiar with the room. His gaze shifted towards the doors. Where did they lead? As he took stock of the various objects he looked for tools, tomes, and other such artifices to glean the nature of Donovan's work. What sort of mage leaves his Sanctum for an inordinate amount of time?

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-06 11:01:02 Abacus rolls 6 to Perception (Wits+Investigation) (10 Again) 6, 3, 8, 6, 6, 6 1 success

A cursory glance had no weight. He had to search deeper. He touched a hand to the floor and made the sign of the bird's wing. He felt Sybil's web being plucked like a violin string, the sharp sound echoing behind his eyes as the inklings of Fate drew him closer to some kind of truth. Events of weight and significance that would shake the web. Words that would ring bells in his mind. Telltale signs. He would be open to them now.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-06 11:10:23 Abacus rolls 7 to Sybils Sight (10 Again) 8, 8, 2, 9, 5, 6, 2 3 successes

"How did he seem when you were with him last? Was Donovan in a hurry to leave?"
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

M
    Matrixchild

Jasper watched with much enthusiasm as the mage made her transformation. Once she was done and made her comment he let out a laugh. "Ah yes. Jaws. I like that."

Then he looked to Langdon. "Vast like the ocean, I like the sound of that too," he said with a smile. But Langdon's next words caused the smile to fade. Then, before he could reply Winter and Abacus spoke up. "My master is not dead. To be honest, I can't imagine even time itself could end his life. No," he said, shaking his head, "he chose to leave, though it was with much sadness. He had spent many, many years mastering all the Arcana he could, but eventually the call to study the realm of Archmastery was far too great. But when one becomes that knowledgeable...that powerful, well enemies come with it. He left the Sanctum to keep the city and I safe." There was a look of deep sadness on Jasper's face, as if he wanted to cry but was completely unable to.

He looked back up and smiled, "that's why he set his protections to fade in such a way. He designed them so that they would attract the attention of those worthy of his knowledge. He felt something more interesting than mere protections would be appropriate."

He paused, spreading out his hands to focus their attention on the doors before them. "Before you lay three pathways. These pathways each contain tests and traps that determine if you are worthy to receive Master Donovan's knowledge. One is simple. One is tough. One is deadly. But don't be fooled by those words; for in Master Donovan's Sanctum, nothing is ever truly 'simple'. You may use whatever Arcana you see fit in order to find your way to the Master's Library, where all his knowledge lies."

Through the lens of Fate, Abacus saw something unusual as Jasper spoke of pathways. Door number Two gave him a very unusual feeling. Fate had a way of making both terrible fate and exceptional fate stand out equally. Unfortunately for Abacus he couldn't figure out on a glance which of those two diametrically dissimilar fates he was feeling at that moment.

G
    Galatea

Oh good. She made the creepy confirmed-not-human thing laugh.... And then he started talking about his master. And the test. Nothing could ever be simple could it? Never with a mage at any rate. Simple, tough, and deadly. It was like one of those damn riddles you saw online... If one of these rooms had a lion skeleton within it, Galatea was going to be severely upset.

"Simple, tough, and deadly huh?"
    She looked to the others, and took some time to think.

"If it's anything mundane, I'd probably be of the most assistance... I'm not the expert here for riddles or magic matters. This all seems meant to make our brains explode... Simple, tough, and deadly could all have wildly different meanings with magic involved- unless we can narrow it down, I'd say we're just as likely to succeed choosing randomly than trying to think it through."

Now, Galatea was no expert on puzzles; this mage game-show style didn't mean anything to her at all. But she was somewhat intelligent- as far as she was concerned, every one of these could be threatening in some manner. Trying to make an educated guess might be playing into the game-show's hands... And trying to game the system or cheat in some manner would probably go about as well as trying to fake your age to enter into a deadly magic-slinging wizard tournament... That is to say, not well at all.

"I doubt our host would make it easy to cheat. Still... If you all want to take some time to think it through, feel free. I'm fine with whatever's decided."
    The Thyrsus had healed from plenty of damage, and frankly had yet to face anything truly life-threatening. Perhaps today would be the first, but if she was at all worried the Orphan made no show of it.

Langdon
    Doctorate
    Langdon

PRE

For his own part Langdon's mouth falls open as Jasper describes what this place really is. "I..I.. wow." Heartbeats pass as the Mystagogue pulls back together his composure and doesn't ask all the questions.

"That is an achievement I can't fathom. I am sorry that you were alone for so long." Presumably it had been a very very long time but if Archmasters are involved who knows.

"That also raises the question of your riddle. And those doors. I'm guessing the order is simple"
    Langdon points to one. "Then tough then deadly? Or is figuring that out part of it as well. Hm." The Stalker shifts to look at Jaws. "I'm not sure random exists here..."

Winter
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Education
    (West Point Grad)
    Occultation
    Winter

Nimbus

Dark shadows scatter in ordered symmetrical patterns traversed by a crackling pallid silver light that wraps Winter in a pleasantly numbing and icy coldness.
    When vulgar magic is cast, the frequency of the oscillation of the dark fluid surges until the shadows arrange themselves in a solid black halo around Winter's head, the white light darkens into a fiery black sunlight and his eyes are set ablaze with vivid incandescence.
    Stats

Health:
    Mana:
    WP:
    Armor: 1(General)/2(Ballistic)
    Defense: 3

Active Spells: 1/6
    Personal Spells: 1/3
    Incognito Presence (Mind 2) Rote, Scene, Pot[1]

OCC
    PRE

He rolls his eyes at the construct. Couldn't they see he was full of shit? "How convenient huh. Your master disappears, but for some strange reason opts to leave you alive. And by a twist of fate you end up playing Monty Hall with a bunch of strangers. Which order did your Master belong to, by the way?"

Stats

Contacts (Finance)
    Contacts (Digital Networks)
    Contacts (Academia)
    Trained Memory
    Abacus Scenes
    Abacus

The sound of dialing numbers (phone, keypad, rotaries, calculators) echo in the ears of those in close proximity. Shimmering gold lettering take the form of flickering mathematical symbols that form complex equations in the air.

PRE

"This has Mystagogue written all over it."

Puzzle doors? Magickal Servants? A sanctum with High Atlantean winter-wear covering head to toe? If it wasn't Donovan's house it would have been summer school for neokoroi. Of course, it was just a hunch. And although he'd never say it aloud, he was open to being surprised.

Either way, he would sigh at the revelation.

"I'd hate to be the bearer of potentially stupid ideas, but the best way to explore every option is to split up."
    Acanthus | Mysterium |

M
    Matrixchild

"Well the use of magic is involved, so is it really cheating if you're able to cast a spell that helps you find your way to the library?" Jasper asked with a puzzled look.

Japser smiled as he watched Langdon's amazement over his master's achievement. "It was quite lonely, but I was happy for Master Donovan, so I took solace in that." It had been far too long that he was alone.

"It was not convenient, it was purposeful that he left me behind to guard and protect his Sanctum," he said to the skeptical man.

Before he could answer the question of Order Abacus spoke up. With a smile he said, "correct. Master Donovan was a mystagogue with the Mysterium. That's why he wants to protect the knowledge he has acquired, except for those worthy to know it."

I'm open to any mundane or magical rolls you four want to make to try and learn anything about the door.

G
    Galatea

"We should pick something soon. I could use Life to see if any living beings await us- though I can't get into specifics. Still, every bit will help."

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-11 10:20:43 Galatea rolls 8 to Sense Life Rote (Wits + Animal Ken + Life) (10 Again) 8, 8, 3, 6, 5, 9, 9, 1 4 successes

Galatea will walk to the edge of all the doors, sensing the life on each side, using her senses to help. She didn't specify any form of life- given the sparse amount she expected, she didn't wish to limit her information. While the range was usually limited, it allowed the Thyrsus to feel the pulse of life. She didn't expect much to come of it- but it could be useful nonetheless.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-04-11 10:27:39 Galatea rolls 5 to Wits + Composure (10 Again) 6, 1, 8, 9, 5 2 successes

"I expect if your master truly could keep creatures preserved in such a state, he must be quite powerful indeed."

She closed her eyes and listened closely. The Orphan didn't expect much to come of it, but it was a quick spell to cast- and being aware of all life around might come in handy useful.

This is the Sense Life rote, allowing Galatea to sense life within her sensory range. Four successes also equates to a safety net of eight yards to prevent living things from sneaking up on her.

Page 5 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 19

You do not have permission to view the list of names.