Ended
Watch

Clan Pariahs in Elysium

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    T
    Thomas Boyle

The Lord and the Mekhet make their way to a quieter corner. A place with... with more Shadows.

"So, Mr. Kind... tell me more of what it is that you do. Not your trade secrets, of course, but something about your style would be nice. I understand you are still in the market" Adding a question mark would perhaps be polite, but somehow it feels... unnecessary.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

"I take on most jobs- the thrill is just as good as a paycheck, usually. I've a preference towards artifacts and artwork- I must admit this new life has given me a bit of a penchant for material things. If things get dodgy... Or if the pay is particularly good enough... I have my knives. "

Seth had no qualms with being blatant. It was the first thing most people likely learned in discussions with him.

"And what of you? Most Ventrue tend to carry themselves as White-Collar, far as I've seen and heard. Yet you say you're a thief of some degree? What methods do you utilize? What's your style?"
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

"Artifacts and artwork? Interesting" The Ventrue hums to himself for a moment, before - yes! - producing a slip of paper with his number on it. he hands it out to Seth "Can we exchange numbers? I have some academic interest in these things myself, please don't be surprised if I call to hammer out a contract" An encouraging smile is provided.

"A penchant for material things? It's... uncommon among our race, with most - even among the First Estate - treating the earthly goods as a mean rather than an end. Perceiving themselves as eternal tends to dwarf the importance of transitory" The question of 'why is it different with you?' is left unstated, out of politeness if nothing else. If Kind wishes to clarify, he will.

"Were, Mr. Kind, were a thief. Although perhaps a 'robber' or 'brigand' would be more fitting. In my living days, I used to be a member of a roving band of outlaws. We didn't bother ourselves with subtlety: a trail of corpses, burned homes and ripped open safes were our style. The difference being, while my companions stole jewellery, drugs or electronics, I was more concerned with books, or money to buy more books. Turned out in my favor, too: here I am, a member of an exalted species, and my ex-friends are, to a one, dead" He chuckles softly "I still can open some simpler locks or sneak past an unattentive guard, but my skills got a bit rusty throughout the years"

"And you? You mentioned something about knives - are you an assasin for hire as well? Did you acquire these professions before or after your transmutation?"

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Whoah. A lot of talking there, and a lot of fancy words to get to the point (which Seth could certainly relate to, given his tendency to sell a pitch). Regardless, Seth had no problem exchanging numbers with the man, fishing for a slip of paper with his number; in all honesty, since people kept seeming to find his number anyways this was just to avoid shock later. As for the questions, both implied and present...

"For all the talk of almost-disregard towards material things, A great many of them sure do seem to outlast most vampires. Some of the best art pieces are older than most kindred I'd wager, and they manage to retain popularity that'd rival a Diva Daeva. There's a... Certain something to that, a quality I enjoy greatly. Also why I enjoy making art- pieces that might one day outlive me."

Seth chuckled at the polite Ventrue's story. Hey, why not share?

"My... Transmutation... Came about when a vampire hired me to steal something from some bigwig. I wasn't that experienced- Only a few thefts under my belt, but I was making a name. Didn't know the client was a vampire of course- also didn't know the house belonged to the client in the first place. It was a test or something- anyways, apparently I passed. The knives came afterwards- had to make up for a lack of natural sharps."
    And as for assassination?

"And... I can stick someone- have before. Not as enjoyable as art, but it usually pays more. A LOT more."
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

Well, it appears they enlisted the wrong Shadow for the Crocker Art heist.

"You have a good point" the Ventrue nodded "The Sistine Chapel alone is probably older than everyone here, combined - and we all know it's not the most ancient of surviving artpieces"

He allows some thoughtful silence to grow.

"So you are an artist? I have to admit jealousy - never had a sliver of talent myself. Might play in your favor - from what I understand there are quite a few influential Kindred here that'd enjoy a gift like that, the Prince being one of them" Thomas wonders what Seth's reaction to this piece of unsolicited advice would be. "Do you have a favourite form to work with?"

He listens to the Mekhet's backstory. When Seth mentions a test the Malkovian smiles again "Well, we might be more alike than I originally thought"

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

This Ventrue was actually... Relatable... Than Seth gave him credit for. An eccentric that Seth could get along with. Dandy!

"Indeed. I am actually surprised more kindred don't take up such a task. Immortality of the flesh could even be considered a simple prospect, compared to the dedication needed to construct such monuments. Imagine if more of our kind undertook such activities? Instead, it seems mortals have us beat. It could be considered insulting, or perhaps a mark of pride, that mundane flesh can create something more lasting than the parasites that feed on them."

Seth was half-joking. He did consider it insulting, that many vampires looked to such things as being not worth their time. At the mention of the prince liking artwork, Seth couldn't suppress a slight chuckle.

"I think at this point even a masterpiece made of the finest paints from the finest Vitae wouldn't put me back in her graces... Hm. Actually, that might, depending on where the Vitae came from. I'll have to think about it. Regardless- painting is my craft. Vitae makes a strangely... Alluring... Medium. Granted such pieces can't be exposed too readily to the public. Ah... Painting's my preferred method. Though the choice of canvas is optional."

Seth gave another chuckle at that. Maybe if he found a rogue vampire, used them as the Vitae, painted an exquisite piece of their suffering... That MIGHT do it. Ideas, ideas.

"And what do you do, nowadays? And I would be more than happy to provide instruction in my craft."
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

"There are many ways to achieve immortality. Art is one of them, but so is the crafting of ideas, sciences, empires and souls. At least until the cycle turns again, and we are left with only archeological evidence to piece past lives together"

Seth chuckles and attempts to jokingly respond to his advice, which is not something Thomas foresaw as happening, really "The First Estate is all about account balance. Give it some time, I'm sure whatever wrong you did can be assuaged with time and effort" And bribes. Lots of bribes. "You wouldn't be the first to use blood as paint, though. I think Vincent Castiglia beat you to it" Thomas smiles "What or who do you paint? Do you have any works here in the city?"

The topic of the conversation flows towards Thomas, and to that the Ventrue has the following answer "I study our race, and how it fits into the larger patterns of blood magic. I'm especially interested in our ancient history, and how we differ from our ancestors. From there, apotheosis to their level is just a matter of reverse-engineering" He says that as casually as if he was reciting a cake recipe.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Seth nods at the words- it shouldn't at all be surprising that other artists used Vitae. Unlike blood, it held properties better suited to paint.
    "I paint places I rob, things I steal or people I... Ah... People I steal from. I don't normally make my pieces public- fame isn't something suitable considering my occupation. Perhaps it's worth reconsidering, at least if only for this exclusive family. No matter the case, I'm not quite sure if getting back in their good graces is something I'd aspire to... Still trying to figure that. "

Seth had aspirations, sure. But most of them didn't exactly involve the family. Climbing the ranks was a goal to be sure- but he had other goals in mind right now.

"Kindred history is certainly interesting. The bits and pieces I have gathered paint a unique picture. Perhaps one day I'll be included... But what do you do in the mundane world? That's what I was asking. Unless you're on Kindred Payroll?"
    Anything else?

T
    Thomas Boyle

"I'm sorry, did I hear you correctly?" The ventrue blinks, caught off-guard for a moment "You paint people? How's that work?" His bewilderment only rises when Seth admits reluctance in making good with the Prince. He must be either extremely bold or extremely unconcerned for his own survival.

"That's interesting. Most people I know'd do all manner of unsavory things to stay on their Prince's good side. Then again, most people I know don't paint things they steal with blood" He smiles "You're not the biggest fan of hierarchy in the room, are you, Mr. Kind?" A dangerous question to ask, perhaps even more dangerous answer to give, considering where they are. Still, both can be presented innocuously.

"Ah, but we are all included, Mr. Kind. No two vampires, even if they share a sire, are the same. Besides, even the grandest palace is built of tiny elements like this conversation we're having right now" But it seems more mundane matters are of interest to the Mekhet thief "If you are asking if I hold a regular occupation, then the answer is no. I have little need for money, whatever dollars ome into my possession are results of occasional university-related odd jobs" he waves, as if to indicate the unimportance of it all "It's a nice way to keep in touch with mortal allies, but I have my Temple and the other Acolytes. Those are the only things in the physical world I really need"

"What about you? Do you have a family to call your own?" The question was left intentionally vague, to see how Seth will interpret the key word.

The Barren Thief
    Dexterity
    (slender figure)
    Composure
    Status
    (Criminals. "Sable")
    Contacts
    (Criminals)
    Seth Kind

OCC
    PRE

Why not. The man was strange, interpreting his painting people as painting people. What's the harm in revealing more? Or rather, how much worse could things get? sO MUcH WOrSE! Cole shook his head gently and almost sneered, collecting himself.

"I became a thief to escape a white-collar job. I could have had a steady income, a normal life, if I just submitted myself to a miserable hierarchy. Said yes to the boss, did whatever they implied I should do. Becoming a vampire has it's perks- but... Well, it also came with a pretty glaring clause. This hierarchy is certainly... More interesting. But it's a hierarchy nonetheless. One I have... difficulty... acclimating towards. Especially given the... disadvantages... of this blood and even with the beast in my ears, and the irritating sixth sense for command we seem to possess."

It was fairly clear that Seth was a thrill seeker in his thievery, but almost loathe (or even nihilistic) towards much else. Upon hearing that the man had no steady income, Seth could perhaps understand. The cousin-in-eccentricity's riches seemed more in the form of knowledge, than material goods. That was respectable in it's own right- the two had something else in common, in that.

But the question of family? How vague a question. Everyone had used it a different way, in every interaction the thief had with the kindred. Seth opted to simply give the usual answer.

"If you mean relatives prior, I cut ties with them. They wanted me to have a white collar life- once I gave up on that life, I quickly detached myself from them. If you mean a different sort of blood relative... I don't have much for company here. I never really was one for company in the first place. Most jobs can be performed by my lonesome."

Not that Seth had an issue with people. people could be great. He'd been with some pleasing individuals. But a lot of it devolved into a game Seth was tired of playing- had been playing, since long before the embrace. At lease Court offered higher stakes- though even that grew biting at the hierarchy around him.

"And tell me... What do you want most, out of this unending life? If you'll indulge me. Perhaps my desire, to steal the immortality of the mundanes through their works, may pale- but I am interested."
    Anything else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 15

You do not have permission to view the list of names.