Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    (Volcanic Pressure & Ash)
    Richard Price

His skin appears to take on a deep gray color with distinct parallel lines crossing his body, in what almost looks like scars but is much darker then his normal skin but as the same vertical lines connect the horizontal the brickwork pattern becomes clear. His elbows, knees, and hips seem to crack and creak as he moves and if he stretches one can swear they see the outlines of gears but they seem to be missing on second glance. His midsection bears a jagged and broken looking scar that looks as though it threatened to tear him in half, looking as thought stone had almost been chipped away.

It would have been in poor taste to visit the same place twice in such a short amount of time, thankfully Richard Price was a resourceful man when it came to finding places to drink. The Bank was a wonderfully bright place, plenty of space and with the right amount of bustle to be popular. As it was lunch time the bright, professional looking building was filled with people grabbing a bite for lunch. The bar thankfully wasn’t full with only a couple of patrons seated there, including one standout.

Leaning against the bar was Rich, wearing a bright but solid green button up shirt tucked into a simple pair of black slacks, with sleeves rolled up to reveal the large faced gold watch. Of course, you knew it was Rich because of the sneakers. In front of the large man was an empty plate that once had a finger food of some kind, long gone at this point, and a copper mug for a Moscow Mule. Between sips on his drink Rich’s attention was on the TV’s situated above the bar, watching as his hometown Lakers suited up to hopefully put down the tanking Grizzlies.

”Should have traded for Conley.” Rich muttered to himself as he brought the copper mug to his lips. He wasn’t exactly hiding, so it would be easy enough to find him, especially considering how he stood out in both matters of size and pallet.

Maxwell J. Pierce wouldn't have any trouble finding the Ogre, or a seat next to him

M
    Maxwell J. Pierce

"How's the match?"

Quiet. Almost imperceptible, save for the fact that a Wizened in a black suit was suddenly next to him, sliding into the seat there. Pierce didn't glance over for a long minute, his eyes on the television as he processed the match and held up two fingers to the bartender with a point at the big Ogre's copper mug. Dos. They'd need two more. Even if Rich wasn't drinking, Maxwell would take care of the situation. Not a drop of alcohol would leave this table alive.

"Fawkes speaks well of you. I think you've made a positive impression."

Whether or not Fawkes did or didn't specifically say a thing about him wasn't important. All the saluting and starry-eyed attention was more than enough to tell him what the Elemental felt about the powerful manifestation of Summer here before him.

"Did you want company?"

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

His skin appears to take on a deep gray color with distinct parallel lines crossing his body, in what almost looks like scars but is much darker then his normal skin but as the same vertical lines connect the horizontal the brickwork pattern becomes clear. His elbows, knees, and hips seem to crack and creak as he moves and if he stretches one can swear they see the outlines of gears but they seem to be missing on second glance. His midsection bears a jagged and broken looking scar that looks as though it threatened to tear him in half, looking as thought stone had almost been chipped away.

Rich’s mantle was loud, a show of force, and threat of an impending eruption. Maxwell’s mantle was the opposite, it had grown stronger and it’s owner more insignificant. That was one of Winter’s traits, becoming another face in the crowd, or something glossed over. It was a compliment to the season.

As the smaller man made himself known Rich glanced over, his brow raising as he leaned away just for a moment. The Wizend came from nowhere...Or had he been there the entire time?

”Mr. Pierce, fancy meeting you at another bar. I think we may have similar hobbies.” Rich smiled, raising his mug and finishing the drink before the next would come and nodding in appreciation to the gentleman beside him.

Glancing to the screen with the game he see's his team suffering.

”Wonderfully awful, it looks like the King has lost his touch.” LeBron James, the best player in the world, and here he was losing to the Memphis Grizzlies. ”Looking at this almost makes me want to turn in my purple and gold.” He chuckled

The Wizend wasn’t dumb, and was more than capable of picking the veiled shots out of his sports jargon. Double talk came in many forms.

”Come on and take a seat, an afternoon drink is always better with good company.” He nodded as the slight man spoke again, and he looked over to assure himself Maxwell was still there.

”I am glad, I like Fawkes. He’s a solid worker, good fundamentals. Hopefully we can get the whole managment thing figured out, and put some structure back into place.”

Rich’s impression of things were not secret. He was not going to let Fawkes drown in the mess that was called the Summer Court of Sacramento. That was the brotherhood of the Iron Spear.

”How about you Mr. Pierce, are you a fan of all the current management?” He needed a straightforward question to gauge the Winter Courtiers stance, as well as learn a little. In whispers he had heard little good about the man, but that was because he told them truth.

M
    Maxwell J. Pierce

"Almost. But not enough that you would abandon your team," the Onyx replied with an amused little smile. He settled into his seat. He wasn't really one for sportsball, but he was one for alcohol. They were, thus, linked in common purpose. Pierce glanced over at the dignified Summer as he awaited his Mule and listened to the veteran speak on management and on the Elemental who worked with him.

"My department's management? Yes."

He was pointing at himself. But when the finger turned and pointed at Rich? Not so much.

"Yours misses the point, if I may be so bold."

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

”If that is as bold as you are going to be, I may as well call you a glass of water.” Rich had a smile across his face since the moment the gentleman next to him had mentioned never truly being able to abandon your team.

”Wouldn’t that be something to just up and cross the court. Probably get myself a nice spooky costume for the Halloween party.” Another chuckle, if purely for the image of finding his way to the fall court. A sight to behold. As their drinks came, and Rich’s previous plate and cup were taken he leaned on the bar and glanced to Maxwell.

”So, do an old man a favor and tell me what you did at the last company party that got everyone so uppity. Figure I might as well ask the man himself.”

Mumbles were all he had heard, Maxwell had a mixed reception apparently? Rich wasn’t fully integrated yet so this was all baseless rumors as far as he was concerned but it was worth seeing what the Onyx Courtier would give him. If nothing, so be it, if something well their conversation may go a few drinks deep.

M
    Maxwell J. Pierce

"I've oft been called a tall glass of water, so I wouldn't blame you."

Dry. Was that a joke? Maxwell J. Pierce was handsome, but approximately as attention-grabbing as a drop of alcohol in the Mississippi River. He let the comment about changing Courts go with a quiet chuckle back, glancing up as their new Mules appeared. He took a grateful sip, resting warm hands on the cool copper mug. As the dignified Crimson asked his pointed question, a sly smile crossed the Onyx spook's face.

Sidelong, he glanced over at Rich.

"I spoke truth to power with respect to the promises that bind communities, typically. Some appreciated it. Others took offense, being told their business by a new arrival, and others still took offense at me indirectly suggesting that they were naive."

He placed the Mule down on the bar, looking unconcerned.

"A spot of bother, to be sure - and yet, the appropriate wheels are turning. I have accomplished my aim, and we will all be better off and more united for it."

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

Humor? Where was his prize for squeezing that out of the stoic Onyx Courtier!

He was glad he hadn’t offended the man, some people were overly sensitive about their station. Rich supplied a sagely nod as the man gave him an answer and letting his mind sift through the double talk so he could get the best jist of it all. Switching cities, especially this one with its fractured language was an experience.

”Well how dare you, Maxwell J. Pierce.”

The ogre raised the copper to his lips, shaking his head softly while he smiled through a drink before bringing it back down to the bar. Again, he shifted, keeping eyes on Maxwell, subconsciously fearing he may just slip away if he didn’t stay vigilant.

”Aren’t all upstarts supposed to just be yes men? But look who you are talking too, I haven’t even signed my paperwork so I may as well just be visiting. Though I don’t think anyone in upper management would really have drive to come and say anything different.”

Rich raised his mug to clink together with the Wizend’s.

”You are doing good. I am sure you know it and don’t need anyone to say it, but it is still nice to hear. When you work for everyone, the majority will come around. There will always be a few naysayers.” The larger man shrugged.

”But when push comes to shove, I never suggest standing in the way of passion.” The old guard may not like the ideas that some of the new residents were bringing in, but with all the reasoning in the world some would still try and hold back.

Or maybe they would realize the winds of change and accept the step forward.

”Now, I asked you something, there has to be something I can answer for you?” He tipped his mug at Maxwell. ”At least that is how I do this whole getting to know one another thing.” He had given Max permission, as well as the chance to leave if this was purely a business call.

Maybe he just needed a friend.

M
    Maxwell J. Pierce

"Most of us may as well just be visiting. All of us, even, with the lack of paperwork." He clinks mugs and muttered his cheers, taking a hearty swig of the beverage. The Onyx Courtier did love his drink. "I heard about a philosopher once who spoke on the need for a social contract, lest life be nasty, brutish and short. It is only through the finest of luck that this hasn't been the case here recently - though I did hear that it happened, some few years ago. Sasha told me about a bad actor, who did a lot of damage because his hiring contract wasn't clear on the non-competes."

Praise? Praise was new. Nice, even. He'd trained insurgents, infiltrated criminal organizations, reported to the powers that be on high - but something about the overwhelming strength of Price's Mantle and his chill-grandpa manner made it easy to believe he was sincere.

"Thank you. I don't view myself as a public servant, but there is a certain common good that we must all give our attention to. We've got the right people thinking on it. Now it is simply a matter of spurring action."

Maxwell J. Pierce didn't mind spurring action by whatever means necessary in cases such as this... but he started with the gentle version. Words. Persuasion. Whispers. The Silent Arrow's stock in trade.

"Based on what I saw at the bonfire that night, I am getting the sense you're intending to seize a departmental promotion. When? And what would you do with it when you had it?"

Call me Rich
    Presence
    (Dignified)
    Composure
    (Calm)
    Mantle
    Richard Price

The Winter Courtier was straight to the point, didn’t even ask him why not Clippers over the Lakers.

”I think you got the wrong impression, Maxwell. I don’t really have have any plans to try and force a promotion, that is a choice for other people to make. I will give you this much though, I spent a lot of time in my life trying to escape an image of thuggery be in one life or another. I will be damned if I let that be how my department is labeled here. Myself and others have worked to hard to get passed that, and it jeopardizes anyone that comes through the gate.”

There was a flicker of rage that swept off the ogre as he spoke about thuggery. It seemed as though the displays he had witnessed so far hard not impressed him.

”There will be a meeting, and we will go from there.” He sighed softly and shrugged, retreating to the Mule for a moment, ”But there will be changes regardless. Presentation, discipline, and decorum are coming one way or another.” The ogre shrugged as he let a small grin slip back to his face, but the impression that change was inevitable in the Summer Court was real.

10. Likes Krakenbox liked this post
    M
    Maxwell J. Pierce

Good for him. He didn't plan to force a promotion. Why would he, when the Wyrd would probably do it for him? With such a glorious show of its approval already wrapped around his shoulders, he was already halfway there. Decent social skills or a show of force would likely do the rest, with Circe's position already tipping. He avoided commenting on the so-called 'wrong impression'. That wasn't what was important. What was important was Richard Price's motivations, which the Chatelaine's question had led him to reveal.

"Good. It's nice to see some experience come into town."

A cold smile crossed the stark Onyx's grey-scale face.

"In the meantime, I'll ensure that the remainder of management understands the importance of employment contracts... even if it rustles their jimmies a little. In the meantime, should you require any equipment, I am happy to assist you. I understand that Circe provides similar services, but I am led to understand she required Fawkes to pay for it with cash. As a result, I'll be taking care of his equipment needs."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread