Watch

Sjambok

THREADID

Fairest (Gandharva)
    Presence (Assertive)
    Androgynous
    Mantle: Spring
    Exegesis Agarwal

Mien: Skin of polished amber, eyes replaced with a star field.

PRE

Alex was turning out to be neither dexterous nor adroit. Worse, he barely paid attention. It became clear to Exegesis he was only really any good for cleaning up and fetching things, provided you watched him. He wasn't particularly keen on anything going on in the shop either, which was perplexing. He was in the middle of unpacking a box, as directed, when Exegesis asked, "So what's you're preferred medium?"

This seemed to confuse him.
    "You mean, like, for news?"
    "For art."

"Oh, I don't really do much art stuff."
    "You're not an art major?"
    "Nah, I'm like, a psych major."

They sent me a psych major? Did they really not have any art majors that wanted work-study in an atelier?...Then again, Exegesis thought, part of the reason I got into this is because art major's have a stereotype of not thinking about the business end of things.

"Then why come here for your work study?"
    "I dunno. Art's kinda neat."

'Kinda neat', but you don't make any?

Alex was, from Exegesis's point of view, as opaque as a brick and about as interesting.

"Mind bringing me that small box on the desk, and an awl?"
    "Awl?"
    "The pointy thing with the wooden handle that's next to the box."

Alex obliged and placed both on the work table Exegesis was sitting at. As Exegesis pulled out the contents of the box, two square feet of black glossy tooling grade leather, and sixteen feet of slender, flexible black cord. If you where aiming a shot in the dark, you might as well make it noir.

"It's for a friend, who I haven't met yet."

Alex nodded and went back to his earlier task. Really? That provoked no follow up questions? What's it like to live without curiosity kid?

With no need to use any per-arranged deflections on what they were doing, Exegesis began laying out materials and planning exactly what was going into this piece. A minute later and it was a Google search for plans online.

Rolling Intelligence + Computers -, to find designs for a sjambok online. Assuming a target number of four, since this is a bit obscure. Looking at how the result posts, I think I should have hit 'multiple rolls', but the result is clear enough.

3 successes

Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-21 16:36:02 [03] Exegesis Agarwal rolls 4 to Intelligence+Computer to find suitible designs for a sjambok (10 Again) 9, 2, 9, 10, 1 3 successes
    2019-02-21 16:36:02 [02] Exegesis Agarwal rolls 4 to Intelligence+Computer to find suitible designs for a sjambok (10 Again) 3, 1, 7, 10, 9 2 successes
    2019-02-21 16:36:02 [01] Exegesis Agarwal rolls 4 to Intelligence+Computer to find suitible designs for a sjambok (10 Again) 3, 7, 1, 2 failure

Defense: 2 Armor: 0 Speed: 9 (10); Sling & Sjambok wrapped around each other as a belt.

Fairest (Gandharva)
    Presence (Assertive)
    Androgynous
    Mantle: Spring
    Exegesis Agarwal

Mien: Skin of polished amber, eyes replaced with a star field.

(Boosting the craft rolls)Willpower 2 Spent
    PRE

Once Alex had gone for the evening Exegesis gathered up the leather and laptop, walking up onto the upper floor that formed the storage area for the shop. It wasn't quite done being made into an apartment, and it wouldn't be for some time.

In the hedge that intersected the shop was the carcass of some great creature, hunched over on itself, great thick forelimbs sewn into place atop what would have been knees on a human. Exegesis thought of it as some kind of short-nosed elephant, or an enormous armadillo. Stranger than that was that someone had hollowed out the creature's chest, plastered the interior of its rib cage, and built a chimney out of its esophagus. From there Exegesis had hung camp lighting, a soak basin, a pair of folding chairs, and even brought in, in pieces, a heavy workbench. Bringing in the needed tools had been far easier.

The flesh was cured and scentless, not tanned in the way Exegesis was used to, but some similar process must have been used. Exegesis had already made a point study the structure in more detail at some later point. For now, it was enough that it worked as a small hollow.

The workshop thus a equipped, the work could begin.

I set the die roller up incorrectly the first time, so the second set of rolls is the one I am applying. Bear with me, I'm new.

Intelligence 3 + Craft 4 + Tools 1 + Plans 1 + Willpower 3 - Masterpiece Quality 5= 7
    Durability 2, Size 2 = Target 5 successes

Four rolls done as a group, with the first two completing the project. I'm assuming I should count the second two as not happening, since the character would logically have stopped when finished.

2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-22 00:47:50 [04] Exegesis Agarwal rolls 10 to Crafting a Sjambok (w/wp) (10 Again, WillPower) 2, 10, 3, 7, 4, 7, 4, 9, 3, 4, 5 2 successes

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-22 00:47:50 [03] Exegesis Agarwal rolls 10 to Crafting a Sjambok (w/wp) (10 Again, WillPower) 5, 6, 2, 3, 7, 3, 8, 5, 10, 1, 9 3 successes

Defense: 2 Armor: 0 Speed: 9 (10); Sling & Sjambok wrapped around each other as a belt.

Closed Thread