Ended
Watch

Got a Hole Inside of Me (Open)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    L
    Lydia Gehring

The first step to admitting one had a problem was acknowledgement. Winters did not acknowledge problems easily. Some did, and tackled them head-on with the force of a midwinter blizzard, but others hid away from the cold. The Airtouched was one such Winter, having been as scarce as fresh sprouts after a long, hard season. She might have been spotted puttering around Edna's or gathering recycling to exchange, but beyond that, nothing. It was as if she had ghosted through the Freehold, made her presence at the Coronation, and disappeared with the next stormy wind.

This was not so. Lydia was still about, avoiding both Lost and Mortal alike. Her mood had been dour, dreams and thoughts wracked with malaise. The problem had been growing, she'd realized, since a month before entering Sacramento. It had been when loneliness - true, poisonous loneliness - had set in her heart. Sorrow-frozen it now was, the ice creeping and crawling its way through her mind and blood, turning solid at the Salt Well. That outburst from the insolent upstart was what had done it, and that last bit of doubt sent Lydia's certainty toppling down an unseen slope.

It was a stupid thing to be upset over. People were angry all the time. People were angry during other moments of vulnerability. The Changelings here had been nothing but kind to the Elemental, treating her only with marginal suspicion. In return, she'd quietly tied up around the park and kept Edna's in shape - and its larders contributed to - in the background. Did this have anything to do with her vision in the forest? That strange specter of someone, all ribbons and bows and waiting for something that Lydia couldn't remember?

The Elemental shook her head. The plume about her neck and shoulders swayed and swirled, a dark and foggy mass. It was getting cold out - not even a Winter could tolerate the season's bite for long. Not unless they were powerful. Lydia hopped off the overturned trash can she'd been sitting on, stuffing her hands in her pockets. A wind swept through the empty Funderland land, dusk painting purple and red swaths across the sky. Shadows lengthened, the odd mouse skittered into unseen spaces, and a sigh breezed out of Lydia's mouth.

A
    Abraham Norton

Time passes strangely in the Hedge. Although he's entered it through the Spring Hollow in mid-morning and could swear he spent there only a couple of hours, Abraham found himself stranded in an empty Funderland when he got back. The light blue sky was gone, replaced by cold winds and intense flood of crimson and purple light from a dying sun. Good thing he was dressed in his usual garments of green and brown, including a coat, else he could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

Making his way to the exit, Abraham keeps his spirit up with some singing.

The sun is sinking in the west
    The cattle go down to the stream
    The redwing settles in the nest
    It's time for a cowboy to dream

The alleys of the park are deserted, not a soul in sight. The solitude has a comforting effect, even if it's not fully natural to either the place or the knight.

Purple light in the canyon
    that is where I long to be
    With my three good companions
    just my rifle pony and me

On an unexpected detour, Abraham passed by the High Striker. Summer's place. Lacking any training in firearms he's found little reason to be here, but maybe it's time to practice?

Gonna hang my sombrero
    on the limb of a tree
    Coming home sweet my darling

Still nobody. It's as if he's the last man on Earth.

Whippoorwill in the willow
    sings a sweet melody
    Riding to Amarillo

On his way to the exit, the Flowering meets the spooky form of Edna's. Full of ghosts and shadows, the building was best avoided without a good reason to be there, but this time something compelled Abraham to peer into a side alley nearby. A gut feeling? A stray sound?

No more cows to be ropin'
    No more strays will I see
    'round the bend she'll be waitin'
    For my rifle, pony and me
    For my rifle, my pony and me

And here he is, rounding the corner to see... Lydia? is this real life? Is this just fantasy?

"Well, I didn't think this last stanza will take as literal a-meaning" he chuckles "But I have to say I never seen a woman who looks so all alone, could you use a little company?"

Yes, I realize this is over the limit, but since everyone in 'The Bar Scene' consented to ending, I figured there's no harm

Fairest (Gandharva)
    Presence (Assertive)
    Androgynous
    Mantle: Spring
    Exegesis Agarwal

Mien: Skin of polished amber, eyes replaced with a star field.

PRE

Exegesis took a brisk pace across the open lane, tucking into the eve of a shuddered Funderland stall. The black kurta with copper brocade was a fashion-choice, not a practical application against the weather. Carrying two chest-wide boxes blocked part of the view ahead, which, with the brisk pace, probably precipitated the fall.

The first box landed bottom down, skidding ahead, while the second spun in the air before bursting from its corner on the walkway. Plastic beads and half a dozen awls rolled out in a fan, their procession hidden by five pounds of multicolored feathers taking flight.

Exegesis landed on both knees and one hand, the other held up, pulled back from landing in the middle of the remains of the second box. A self-conscious glance confirms that, yes, someone did indeed see that stumble, two someones, and those someones receive a tight-lipped smile.

Defense: 2 Armor: 0 Speed: 9 (10); Sling & Sjambok wrapped around each other as a belt.

A
    Abraham Norton

The Winter Courtier didn't answer Abraham, or perhaps she did, but he didn't hear her over the explosion of sound and color. He turned away from Lydia to see a being of amber and starlight, scrambling to maintain his footing and collect all the scattered belongings. There was a subtle smell of pollen about him. Could it be the Antler Crown is to have another subject?

"Let me help you with that" Abrham offers, and without waiting for response jumps into the fray to assist the Gandharva. When they are close to done, he continues "My name is Abraham Norton, soldier and storyteller of the Emerald Court. Here with me is Lydia Gehring, of the Winter Court. Welcome to Sacramento. What, may I ask is your name and affiliation, Mr... Ms...?"

It was actually hard to tell, what with this being androgynous form. So Abraham stumbles a bit, his usual politeness shaken.

Fairest (Gandharva)
    Presence (Assertive)
    Androgynous
    Exegesis Agarwal

PRE

"Thank you. Don't bother with the feathers. I'm Exegesis, ..."

Standing, glancing at Lydia, and then at Abraham, just long enough to verify a mien.

"...under the Antler Crown."

Exegesis looks up into the swirl of feathers, as if disappointed with their behavior.

"Barely anyway. Just settling back in to Sacramento."

Bending over to pick up the rolling awls, straight-backed and stiff in the cold. A moment later Exegesis stands back up, holding the burst box.

"Abraham you said? It suits you. Moreso than Ab or Bram would anyway." A slight smile appears, "And Lydia, dear, your image should be used in photo-dictionary for the word 'aloof'. What was that you were singing Abraham?"

Defense: 2 Armor: 0 Speed: 9 (10); Sling & Sjambok wrapped around each other as a belt.

A
    Abraham Norton

For the moment it appears that Lydia chose to merge with the background. Which was fine. She'd no doubt rejoin the conversation when she was comfortable.

"It... suits me? How do you figure?" He eyes the other Emerald curiously. This one seemed like an eccentric. Good "Anyway, that little bit of song was from Rio Bravo. You know, the old western movie? Used to be very popular, this song"

Abrahm looks at the loose feathers, floating away in the air.

"Forgive me for saying so, but that's a rather... unusual luggage for a new arrival? Are you an artist, Exegesis?" Please say yes. We could make a troupe or something "Is that what brings you to Sacramento?"

Fairest (Gandharva)
    Presence (Assertive)
    Androgynous
    Exegesis Agarwal

PRE

"I suppose I think of myself more as a crafter than an artist. I'm renting the an old storage space on the edge of Funderland, converting it into a shop and studio. The name suits your face and bearing. Abe always sounds more yokel to me, and Bram is a bit too prep."

Adding a small smile. "Abraham has more gravitas."

"Oh and I must confess I know next to nothing about Westerns."
    Last edited by Exegesis Agarwal; Feb 21st, 2019 at 01:01 PM.  Reason for Edit: Spelling

A
    Abraham Norton

"A... crafter? Interesting. And what do you craft, Exegesis? Would it be costumes, or something to that effect?" A hopeful light flashes in Abraham's eyes. Having a skilled tailor as part of Spring'd certainly improve on their artistic capabilities. As for the man's comments about names and gravitas, the knight simply smiles. He now understands the other Emerald's position a bit more. Besides, unlike some, Abraham can take a compliment.

"Ah, westerns are one of the best kind of movies in my opinion. Some may call their plots oversimplified, but I find joy in their portrayal of characters and the values they promote. Valor. Friendship. Bravery. A modern version of chivalric romance, to be sure. Rio Bravo and Once Upon a Time in the West are timeless classics, but of course there are more of them that are worth watching. You should give it a try some time"

He allows for some silence to grow between them "So, have you met any of the other Springs? There's quite a few of us here, I dare say we are the most populous Court in the city. I have to say, you chose a very interesting Freehold to settle in... and in a very interesting time of flux"

Fairest (Gandharva)
    Presence (Assertive)
    Androgynous
    Exegesis Agarwal

PRE

Exegesis responds, "Leather work is my current focus, mostly with fantasy and commedia dell'arte themes, though I jump around." and turns to gesture at the feathers, still settling, adding, "and I experiment a lot with attachments."

Having cleaned up as much of what was spilled as seems worth the trouble, Exegesis begins to walk with the box, slowly, looking over one shoulder to continue the conversation.

"I've heard Westerns are a lot like the old samurai movies. Come to think of it, that should make them something like the tails of European knights, with which I am somewhat more familiar. A part of me is a little disappointed that I've never heard of an Entitlement that used the title of knight that I could imagine myself as a part of. It might be for the best though, as I'm no warrior."

Assuming Abraham follows Exegesis moves toward the Funderland train station. If not, Exegesis stops when it becomes clear he isn't following.

"Are we the largest local court? I've met no one here at all, in person, besides you two... Insomuch as I can say I've met Lydia even now. I was actually hoping to run into someone who could tell me the lay of the land. What little contact information I have tells me the spring monarch is named Ingrid, and I was hoping to learn more about her. What kind of transition? More than the usual seasonal change?"
    Last edited by Exegesis Agarwal; Feb 22nd, 2019 at 07:06 PM.  Reason for Edit: Wierd spacing changes

A
    Abraham Norton

"Leatherwork? That's quite a niche trade... all the better! I'm sure there'll be plenty of clients interested, and I'd count myself among them. I have a thing for acting, you see" Abraham smiles "And I refer you to Mr. Volker. He is a smith of the Iron Spear. Your specialties may differ, but I'm sure there's room for collaboration"

His smile widens upon the talk of knights and Entitlements "I believe there's an Entitlement known as the Knights of the Knowledge of the Tongue. Of course, they are chefs rather than leatherworkers, but we all have to grow, don't we?" A chuckle is let out "Still, I firmly believe knighthood is not a profession. Rather, it is a set of values one follows and exemplifies. Bravery. Selflessness. Inspiring others to strive for the best. Without them? Swords do not make the knight, if you forgive the paraphrase"

They move towards the train station. The evening air is pleasant, filled with orange light and delicate breeze.

"Yes, it appears we are the largest. I have seen some Winters that'd even the number of our Courtiers, but as far as I can tell they've left or are in hiding" Just like Winters usually do "Apart from you and me, the Antler Crown consists of Ingrid, our Sovereign, Sera, who holds the title of Joyeux, Sonnie Wu, Freya and Titania" As for the lay of the land... "The Freehold owns Funderland. Each Court possesses one attraction within it - Edna's House is the abode of Autumn, the Mirror Maze is where Winter dwells, the High Striker is home to Summer, and the Wishing Well was claimed by us. In addition, if you climb down the Well, you'll find the Spring Hollow - a tavern. To date, this is the only Hollow in Sacramento" He breathes in and continues "Otherwise, there's the Blue Note - a jazz club and cafe owned by Sasha, the Queen of Winter, and Garden Grounds, a tea house belonging to Sera" Abraham is quite enjoying his new role as a tour guide.

"As far as Ingrid is concerned... I'd love to tell you about her, even if I only managed to meet with her a couple of times. Ask away, but be mindful shallow gossip is not what I do" It was more of a jest than an actual warning, but Exegesis'd do well to follow this advice.

"And when it comes to transition... the first thing you need to know is that, apart from the Sovereigns, we have an additional layer of positions - the Director, leader of the Freehold, currently held by Ingrid. The Notary, overseeing Pledges, that'd be Sasha. And the Groundskeeper, the 'chief of police', vacant at the moment" that in itself could be strange to Exegesis - it certainly was to Abraham at first - so he gives the Gandharva a moment to process it "And the other thing is, there's no Freehold Pledge. It was absent for some time, and it seems Queen Ingrid prefers it this way. In any case, there was quite a stir about bringing it back at the last Winter Coronation. Tempers flared. I understand there'll be a Monarch meeting soon to sort it out" He clears his throat.

"It didn't exactly help make the debate civil that at the same Corornation Spring was accused - not without merit - of disrespect to the ruling Season. It's being handled, though I advise being careful what you do or say around those of Onyx"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 13

You do not have permission to view the list of names.