Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

Educated, scholarly, lawyer, scientist.
    Jack's outward demeanor and tone are a baseline of respectful and calculated.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque caught the sign and relocated the the indicated booth, "Greetings... ah... forgive me if I bungle- I'm still getting used to title etiquette. I believe it would be Deputy Blackbird. Krieg had pointed you out to me during the last court also as one of the Prisci but things were a little too bustling to be able to meet to just personally introduce myself and see if you had any tips of wisdom to share."

Chuckling lightly, "The way things have been unfolding tonight, I feared it might have been drawing close to another miss. You've been quite popular for a good portion of the evening thus far."

Blood Hunt:

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird watches as Jacque takes his seat, offering a faint smile as he does so.

"In this case, your instinct is correct, Mr. Jacque," she offers, "Considering this is a gathering of the Domain, it seems most fitting to acknowledge me by my duty... though certainly if all I possessed was the position of Priscus, the title would be fitting."

The small lesson done, she allows Jacque to settl. Her gaze rests on his face as she pushes for an air of stoicism, but her telltale smirk betrays her playful nature, even as it is tinged with the latent cold of a Kindred who has had the Humanity weathered.

"I'm naturally willing to grant advice, but my words are entirely dependent on the information and wisdom you seek," she says, her brows raising slightly as if intrigued, "Either way I am certain the dear Sheriff and Her Majesty will be most pleased to know that you are making efforts to learn about the Domain's officials, especially in regards to security."

"I am rarely without partners with a willingness to offer conversation, that much is true," she says, acknowledging her busy work throughout the previous court, "Although, with regards to that night, I'd wager to say you were quite popular yourself. A sculpture. A meeting with the Prince and Sheriff in short succession... although I imagine it was initially for reasons you would have preferred to avoid... hmm?"

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

He actively debates, persuades, negotiates and even at time tries to intimidate, as core skills of any lawyer worth his salt.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque politely smiles through the small lesson of titles and moves to answer her subsequent question, "Given the circumstances, any advice or tips on how to avoid making the same mistakes we've seen action on tonight."

"I haven't quite grasped the political landscape here, but it seemed that Sheriff Moretti and Harpy Simmons have had a disagreement that has spanned longer than my tenure here and Priscus Wood appears to be at the center of it.", shrugging his shoulders lightly he continues, "I'm not too keen on making mistakes, so I tend to pay careful attention when I can learn what not to do by observing someone else's errors. I'm lacking a little context here though."

Reminiscing about the previous court and chuckling lightly, "Ah, yes. I was caught a bit off guard by how direct the Sheriff was in regards to my gift. Thankfully, after a wonderful conversation with both the Sheriff and the Prince I was introduced to Seneschal York so that future gifts could go through the proper channels. Did you have an opportunity to appreciate and discuss the art with anyone?"

Blood Hunt:

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird listens to Jacque's concerns as he displays them in greater detail. It seems yet another of the Kindred has come to her with advice on how to navigate the political arena that was the Court of Sacramento. In the back of her mind, Blackbird naturally pondered the strong possibility that Jacque, and many of the others, had sought out the same counsel from the Sheriff and others. Still, Blackbird's allies had either voiced her ability to great extent or these newcomers plainly saw her confidence and insight in politics. Either case was a boon.

This is good.

"The situation with Priscus Wood is a sensitive one. Recently, the Priscus of Clan Gangrel was thrown into Frenzy after we had brought a poacher here into Elysium for judgement before Her Majesty. The situation proved difficult for Priscus Wood and she failed to control herself," Blackbird explained, "She had the sense of mind to enter a room before her descent was complete, thereby only damaging furniture within the Nox rather than attacking Kindred outright. However, the offense remained a grievous one. Priscus Wood had invoked her Clan's gift while in Elysium. The use of a Discipline and possession of weapons are both forbidden here unless done with the clear consent of Her Majesty. In manifesting her claws, Priscus Wood violated both of those cardinal rules. The fact that it was done in the throes of frenzy only served to make the offense all the more grievous."

A brief hesitation glinted on the Daeva's features. It's clear she wanted to discuss the violation in greater detail, but something was stopping her. Given her surroundings, it was in Blackbird's best interest to paraphrase.

"However, most people know this... I'm assuming you wish to know the particulars in greater detail," she said, a brow quirking up as she assessed Jacque's face, "In light of the need to fully understand the contempt of the greater court, what I will say is this: Priscus Wood fell into Frenzy following the forceful torpor of a close ally that was very unpopular with the Court. Following the issue, I am sure the core of her violation being a passionate response to one so disliked irked people the wrong way. It is not considered... fashionable to discuss this individual so openly in Court now that he sleeps, as such I will move on."

Yet, again, it was clear. The restraint to discuss the matter freely was difficult for the little bird. Still she endured, quickly remembering herself and returning to stoic expression.

"Due to the nature of her violation, Priscus Wood was publicly disavowed by many, save for one major supporter. Which brings us to the core of Sheriff Moretti's and Madame Harpy Simmons' disagreement. The Sheriff sought to discredit Priscus Wood, as custom demands, until she regains her merit. However, rather than condemn Priscus Wood, the Harpy instead attempted to raise her public standing despite her grave error. As we've seen, Madame Harpy Simmons has corrected her error and, while her closeness to Priscus Wood remains clear, the correction is adequate insofar as I am concerned. I expect her disagreement with the Sheriff will be dissolved in short order."

Blackbird paused. Blackbird had a reputation for explaining things in great detail, even when attempting to paraphrase. When the issue was political or social in nature, her want to discuss (or gossip?) was quite fervent. However, one luxury Court lacked was privacy, the Priscus of the Succubi needed to mind her words. As such she waited until Jacque had had enough time to digest her comments before continuing.

"The lesson, Mr. Jacque, is simple," she said, "In order to remain in good standing, one should follow the Laws, remain informed of the contributions and tribulations of their allies, and, perhaps most of all, control their other side. Think of the Court as a sociopolitical network. In such an environment, it is important to recognize the faults and merits of your brethren. When an ally falls, you may certainly assist them in rising again, but should you support them publicly without regard to their earlier violations, you will find your own status called into question. It is the way of things... Despite all of this, it is the Beast that presents the greatest test of our condition spiritually, politically, and socially. It has no place in Elysium and to allow it to surface would tarnish your reputation immensely. If you find that you lack self-control, it would be prudent to learn. And quickly."

5. Likes Killian liked this post
    Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Nodding in understanding as Blackbird provided background, "Perhaps another time if you consider the finer details are noteworthy."

Smiling at the conclusion of of the lesson he asks, "Sound advice and a thorough explanation of the events leading up to last court. I truly appreciate it. Thankfully respect and self-control are both areas that I find myself well disciplined in."

Jacque shifts in his seat before continuing at a discrete volume, "I do have some follow up questions if you would entertain them. How long ago was this situation with the poacher? If Priscus Wood violated the laws of Elysium would it not be the Prince who doles out punishment or does that responsibility fall to Sheriff Moretti?"

"Also, in the complexity of the history you have yet to answer one of my original questions. Did you have an opportunity to mingle and discuss the art to any degree?", he accompanies the casual question with a coy smile.

Blood Hunt:

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird smirked at Jacque's suggestion to continue the dialogue regarding the finer subtleties of that fateful evening.

He's an unknown quantity. Be wary.

"Perhaps we will," she offers, "Though it will need to be outside of Elysium, I will not disrespect Her Majesty's hospitality by discussing issues that may warrant unneeded agitation."

The neonate's smirk tugs for a moment as Jacque's assurances regarding his self-control and etiquette. "Is that so? I look forward to seeing those disciplines in action," she says. Others have considered themselves accomplished in such arenas. Then they fell.

"Of course, I'll entertain them. It would truly be a sin to deny handsome company," Blackbird responds, her tone turning coy as she shamelessly offers her compliments. It was warranted. None could truly deny the man's assets and, thus far, his company had been pleasant. Relaxing into her seat, Blackbird would listen contently and without interruption as Jacque fielded his questions, digging ever deeper to become informed. It was admirable. And smart.

It's only prudent to entertain him. If he begins to rise, he will remember who helped him. If he is as attentive to Kindred politics as he says anyway.

"The incident with the poachers occurred just this last December, with Priscus Wood's violation coming to fruition shortly after we took the surviving poacher to Her Majesty for judgement alongside the Kindred who fell to torpor that I had mentioned earlier," she begins, "You are correct that it is Her Majesty that declares the penance one must endure for such a violation. The Sheriff and her Deputies are predominantly concerned with security. In this instance, Her Majesty indeed punished Mable and, as you know, led the voices discrediting her place her in light of her violations. Therefore, I'm certain you can understand Sheriff Moretti's displeasure with the Harpy's actions. The Sheriff's office is concerned largely with security and the Harpy's endorsement of Priscus Wood could have easily led to discord within the ranks of the Domain. Considering the existence of other threats, we can hardly afford the creation of a schism. In discrediting Madame Harpy Simmons, the Sheriff merely wished to ensure the return of social order rather than uplifting a Kindred who is not currently held in high regard by Her Majesty or the majority of the Domain."

Then a pause.

"I am not blind to the fact that the Madame Harpy Simmons is also your Priscus, Mr. Jacque," she said, her expression turning serious for the moment, "Thus, I feel it imperative that you know that, beyond the faux pas, I hold nothing against her. It brought me no pleasure to discredit her myself and I informed her as much privately. However, in that instance I could not condone her support of the offender. I hold no regrets on the matter, though it is within my intent to repair our relationship."

At the final question, the wry smirk returned.

"You are quite proud of your gift I see," she offers playfully, "I unfortunately was unable to take in its finer details. Domain business likewise kept me from mingling much beyond the meeting of new figures within the court. As you may recall, their were several that night. Additionally, a few had arrived the month prior that I had yet to meet. Then there was the matter of acknowledging one of my own Blood, but he left the Domain shortly after his acknowledgement."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque nods in agreement to shelve that portion of the conversation for now, "Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way."

He smiled, welcoming the compliment but truth be told somehow this Blackbird had kept catching his eye over since arriving last month. Something kept him fixated on her and despite needing to subdue the call of his own challenging Beast, he enjoyed it.

"I see. That certainly makes significantly more sense.", he says studiously nodding. "Based on what you're saying this would have occurred a short time prior to my arrival in the Domain. I was unaware of her punishment issued by the Prince and figured I was missing a piece of the puzzle that inclined Sheriff Moretti to action. I could not foresee the Prince simply standing aside for such an offense. Thank you very much for the insight."

Waving his hand dismissively, "Please, you have no need to explain your actions. The Priscus is an admiral woman and asset to the Domain, and circumstances like these merely remind us all to always be diligent in recognizing these dilemmas before they've reached the proverbial point of no return. I imagine that if things stay the current course that the political landscape will 'bounce back' so to say?", 'reading' between the lines Blackbird may catch the ever so subtle request of an affirmation.

Offering a grin in response, "I'm more proud of the conversations and introductions it invoked. It was a safe gamble for a gift. Should Her Majesty have disliked the gift she may have found some small pleasure in watching it melt to water and evaporate to air. I had hoped that others might have been inspired to mingle and converse of the art but I've been unsuccessful with finding anyone else thus-far. It was certainly a busy night and with your responsibilities I completely understand."

Pausing a moment in consideration before continuing, Jacque asks, "It has often been my experience that your cousins will favor expressive arts such as musics, thespian arts or painting and sculpting. Is that an interest that you share as well?"

Blood Hunt:

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Black nods as Jacque speks his thoughts on their sovereign indicating his belief that Alessandra would not hesitate in her judgement.

"Agreed," she says, "Her Majesty is not known for shying away from conflict. She is quite dedicated to the management of her Domain and her support for the Sheriff's Office. Perhaps more than any other Kindred not assigned under the Sheriff, she invests the most in us. The confidence she possesses in the Sheriff's Office is quite humbling. So many of her peers would treat the matter of security as a secondary concern while they engage in politics. We are fortunate to possess a sovereign who prefers a more direct interest in the security of her holdings."

There was no deception on the face of the Daeva or her tone. The bird was loyal.

Another nod. "She has proven to be an invaluable asset to the Domain on more than one occasion. Her recent favor to Priscus Wood was was simply a misstep," she concludes, "And you may breathe easy in regards to the status of the greater Domain. If stability was considered to be a potential issue, I wouldn't have the time to speak with you. Order is already restored and the Domain by and large remains united. We can now return our attentions to greater dangers."

At the mention of the Daeva's typical enjoyment of the arts, Blackbird couldn't help but smile. True, the stereotype existed for a reason, but Blackbird quietly wondered if this newest Lord considered the Daeva in the same manner like so many Kindred outside of the Domain did. The popular opinion outside of Sacramento seemed to be that the Succubi were fickle, caring largely for their own vices and wants.

"How fleeting," she responds as the Lord speaks of the melting nature of his gift, "Many allegories could be pulled from such a gift. Very keen, Mr. Jacque... And yes, its true. Those of my blood do often favor the arts in a variety of forms. Many also practice it in one form or another. Regrettably, I am not among them. I adore them all the same, but the time following my Embrace left little time to study those interests. Instead my sire introduced me to an different art form: Politics. Being the childe of a Harpy meant I was often under scrutiny and he could not afford for me to appear... in poor form. Therefore, my instruction left little time for indulgence, at least for the first several years."

A pause followed. Michel was not a violent teacher, but his disapproval was able to cut Blackbird deeper than any sword in those days. She suspected it would have quite a different effect now that she has carved out a niche on her own. Her existence was no longer subject to his sponsorship.

"That said, I consider myself a purveyor of sorts and I am fortunate enough to have generated enough of an income to feed my patronage," she said, "Now that I am free to establish myself, my interests have waxed yet again. I recently was afforded the opportunity to assist in the appointment of decor within my haven and have been able to acquire a few pieces. As my income continues to grow, it is likely I will purchase more."

Jack
    Striking Looks
    (Handsome)
    Presence
    (Credence)
    Mask of Tranquility
    New Identity
    (Alexander Krait)
    Resources
    Jacque
    Behavior

Goes by Jack.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Jacque's posture lifts as Blackbird outlines her interest in art and decor, "If you're looking for a muse, I've found the Crocker Art Museum to be exquisite. I'm personally looking forward to the Chiura Obata exhibit in July. Otherwise, if you ever decided to host your own personal exhibit I would be delighted to..."

He trails off as his eyes side glance to the congregation surrounding the Prince. He focused first on Adam, then to Alessandra and lastly to Cain and his shift in posture, "Duty may be calling to you, my friend. We can continue our pleasantries another time if you need to fly." he offers with a smile. Jacque tried to gauge the words but was too far to properly feel the body language that came with the implied threat. If it was serious he didn't want to serve as a distraction to the rising Deputy.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-17 14:08:52 Jacque rolls 3 to empathy check Adam's statement (10 Again) 5, 5, 6 failure

Blood Hunt:

Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Blackbird's interest in Jacque and his discussion of art was subtle, but present. It was an underlying interest worthy of consideration when the time presented itself. Nonetheless, she was quietly disappointed when words of Inquisitors were uttered by the man from the Lance.

The neonate's eyes landed first of Exilbrist before looking to Lina Moretti and giving a simple nod to indicate her intention to travel to the group.

"So it seems, Mr. Jacque," she says, her voice adopting a more serious tone. Blackbird rose to her feet, her eyes still on the far group. Momentarily she broke the gaze to look on Jacque a final time.

"Please enjoy the rest of your evening," she says, manifesting a slight smile so as to dissuade any worry the man might feel, "And know that the Sheriff's Office is capable of reacting to all threats."

Unless stopped, Blackbird will begin her move.

Brief scene, but a good scene! I'm good to wrap if you like

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread