Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Chinese New Year at Edna's (Open)

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
    P
    Penance

Penance would've liked to have done this earlier, to coincide with the actual start of the lunar new year. Even given how the holiday usually stretched out for a few days, this would still probably be a bit late for the festivities, which may not bode well for the future. However, by time Penance had realized that Chinese New Year was coming up and then later that she might want to actually do something with it, it was kinda already upon them. And then there was gathering all the decorations and supplies for a good evening, because while she certainly could just invite some people over and start from there, she felt she should put a little more effort into making this look ni- ...decent.

It was after hours in Funderland and Edna's had now grown a few more features. Red paper lanterns hung from the corners of the house and red tinsel hung from the eaves of the house. Kinda made a bit of contrast when by day this place was supposed to look spooky. Inside it was much the same, with smaller paper lanterns hung from the ceiling and apparently the rest of the tinsel the Ogre had bought because it looked like something had barfed it up onto some of the surfaces. Cartoon pigs sat on many empty counters, none of them matching. The price of doing things late was having to pick through everybody else's scraps. On the overly large, oaken dining room table sat a large pot simmering over a bunsen burner, the smell of broth wafting out of it. Surrounding it was some cuts of beef, chicken, pork, fish, and some dumplings. None of it was particularly high quality, but she had to have a hot pot for this, she just had to. In the kitchen sat several liter bottles of soda in all the most popular flavors. She would've preferred alcohol, but that was several degrees pricier and buying all that meat had kinda already did a number on her budget.

She had made this an open invite to everyone in the Freehold if they wished to come, though she had sent personal invitations to couple choice people. Circe was invited as Penance considered her probably her best friend and felt she could liven things up. Besides, she had to repay here for that night she tried teaching her more about pop culture. @Sunnie Wu be cause she figured there was some kinship between them and she might appreciate a more traditional lunar new year, if she hadn't already celebrated it herself. And Rhodes because this was his property and she kinda needed his approval before she did all this. Anybody else who came was just bonus. Heck, even if only one person came, she'd be fine with that, she understood people could get busy and didn't have time for last minute plans. ...You know what, she'd be fine if NOBODY came, then she'd just have all this food for herself... though she did hope some people came.

For this minor get-together, Penance had elected for something a little... outside her usual style. She had adopted a bright red qipao that went down to her knees for today and combed her hair back into a ponytail (she really didn't have enough to do a bun). It probably would've matched well with her skin color... had she not chosen to hide her Fae Mien tonight. She was trying to be social, she never liked wearing her real face when she was trying to be friendly. Usually she avoided traditional dresses like this, her generation had kinda been all about rejecting tradition. But she was going out of her way to celebrate her New Year celebration despite being as far west as she could go, she figured she could nod to her heritage this once.

Penance stood wait by the doorway now, waiting to see if anyone showed.

P
    Penance

Glamour spent to Harden Mask

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

An alluring young beauty, Sonnie Wu is 5'2" and lean-bodied, with a light, nimble step and eyes that seem to say "Hey, you know what would be fun?" Her reddish-brown hair often seems slightly unkempt, and an amused smile regularly plays on her lips. Sonnie is usually dressed casually or for outdoor activity. She almost always wears a pair of red leather tabi boots.
    Mien:

To the eyes of Fae, Sonnie's feet are like those of a monkey: Toes as long as fingers, with one on each foot being opposable like a thumb. A long monkey tail protrudes from the base of Sonnie's spine, covered in hair the same shade as her head. It appears to be prehensile, and often moves to react to her mood and dances about when she speaks, like people who "talk with their hands." Finally, her brown eyes turn golden.
    Mundane Equipment:

Smart phone, messenger bag, quarterstaff, 2 throwing knifes (concealed), 3 goblin fruit (changes by season), mountain bike.
    Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes
      Dreaming, Cloak of the Elements

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••••
    Steepscrambler

Sonnie showed up quickly enough, as her usual happy, bouncing self. She came dressed similarly to Penance, in a red traditional Chinese dress, though she called it a cheongsam, with her monkey tail hanging out from under the lower hem. Her hair was worn up in a bun. The Beast also carried a carboard container in her hands, which she offered to the Ogre with a smile.

"Thanks for the invite, Penny! It was gonna feel rough this year, since going home to to San Fransisco for the lunar new year isn't an option right now. This helps! Oh, I bought some red bean buns! I tried to make some... but let's just say mistakes were made and I'm lucky my kitchen didn't explode," she offered an uncertain smile over her cooking skills, or apparent lack thereof. The store bought package looks to have come, judging from the label, from some sort of Chinese place called Lam Kwong Deli and Market. Likely far more edible than whatever disaster Sonja had attempted to create.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-10 16:22:39 Sonnie Wu rolls 4 to Cooking red bean buns (10 Again) 1, 6, 2, 1 failure
    Spring Mantle (Scent of Flowers and Fruit)

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

The Autumn Sovereign had been spending a lot of evenings out, where he might not return until the day after or later. He never elaborated where he went, but then again he never had to. Wherever it was, he always returned in good spirits with a spring in his step. And when Penance asked to decorate, he readily agreed and disappeared for the night to let her arrange it.

He was wearing the same red suit he had premiered at the Winter coronation, deep reds and black, his stormcloud coat over the top. Looking around at the lanterns, he admired all the work Penance had done. Rhodes was glad she hadn't disappeared entirely - it wouldn't look good to be a Court of one.

The Dread Lord strolled pleasently up the steps and beamed at the Paladin. "Penance! How wonderful to see you," he said jovially. "What a fine dress! Simply gorgeous. Though I do wish you wouldn't hide yourself so, even though I know you have your reasons." Easy for the Fairest to say, he supposed. "And I love your decorations! I've never celebrated the new year. I hope there isn't anything I was meant to do? A gift or some such? I suppose I could always collect something from the cabinet upstairs..." He smiles. "And Sonja. Always a pleasure. Dressed just as fine, I see. Shall we?" he gestures inside.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

5. Likes Abyssalstar liked this post
    P
    Penance

Penance rapidly straightened up and smile as she saw Sonja come in.

"Sonny! I am glad you could make it!" The Ogre gladly took the box off of Sonnie's hands and peeked through the lid at what she brought. Red bean buns. That was gonna be a nice treat to look forward to later. "Xièxiè. I am glad that I invited you then. I hear San Francisco has some big celebrations, but I have been told it is dangerous for us as well. I hope this is ok." Was it wrong to be glad she hadn't had her own celebration with her family so there wouldn't anything to compare her own quaint party with?

She was just about to find someplace to set Sonny's gift down when Rhodes showed up as well. She respectively bowed as he stepped on to the porch, though she did take a moment to admire his outfit.

"Sovereign Rhodes, you were able to come. I know you often have plans at night, so I hope this is not keeping you from anything." She didn't really know what he did these last few evenings, but she figured it wasn't really her place to ask. He would share if he... no, he was the Autumn king, it would be more accurate to say he'd keep it a secret if he wanted to. "Thank you, though I think Sonny wears it better." Both the dress and Seeming. "I did not expect you to bring anything. If you want to though, Sonny brought me some sweets, so if you have anything like that."

As Rhodes gestures inside, Penance realizes she's blocking the doorway and quickly scoots out of the way to find someplace to put the monkey's gift.

"Yes. Please come in. I have a hot pot on the table and drinks in the kitchen. Only sodas, no beer I fear."

A
    Abraham Norton

Abraham is all crimson and gold today. Dark red suit and a gold tie.

Dark red box and a gold ribbon.

In the box, china teapots painted dark red and gold. Eight of them.

He enters Edna's "King Rhodes! Sonnie! And the organiser herself... Penance, I believe? Pleased to meet you - Abraham Norton, of the Antler Crown, at your service" He offers a half-bow.

The Flowering lets in some silence "I have never participated in a celebration such as this, but I have to commend the decor. I also brought a little gift to the one who made the invitation" He extends the box in Penance's direction.

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

An alluring young beauty, Sonnie Wu is 5'2" and lean-bodied, with a light, nimble step and eyes that seem to say "Hey, you know what would be fun?" Her reddish-brown hair often seems slightly unkempt, and an amused smile regularly plays on her lips. Sonnie is usually dressed casually or for outdoor activity. She almost always wears a pair of red leather tabi boots.
    Mien:

To the eyes of Fae, Sonnie's feet are like those of a monkey: Toes as long as fingers, with one on each foot being opposable like a thumb. A long monkey tail protrudes from the base of Sonnie's spine, covered in hair the same shade as her head. It appears to be prehensile, and often moves to react to her mood and dances about when she speaks, like people who "talk with their hands." Finally, her brown eyes turn golden.
    Mundane Equipment:

Smart phone, messenger bag, quarterstaff, 2 throwing knifes (concealed), 3 goblin fruit (changes by season), mountain bike.
    Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes
      Dreaming, Cloak of the Elements

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    ••••
    Steepscrambler

She smiled broadly at Penance's welcome, handing over the box and feeling glad that purchased sweets were acceptable. "Yeah, Chinatown in San Fran really knows how to do this holiday up big time. The whole city turns out for it. I miss seeing it, but the freehold there is in some kinda mess, so it's best for us to stay away."

Sonnie was clearly not happy about having to avoid her home town, but she pushed away the sour thought when Rhodes and Abraham arrived. The Beast acted modest at the fashion compliments of the Autumn King and the Ogre. "What? This old thing? I've had it for weeks!"

She was, naturally, very curious about the box that her fellow Emerald brought. "Oh, what's this now, Abe? Snazzy suit, buy the way."
    Spring Mantle (Scent of Flowers and Fruit)

Presence
    (Charming)
    Distinctive Voice
    ((Gravitas))
    Rigid Mask
    Mantle - Chilling breeze, summoning tiny leaves
    Rhodes
    Mein

Mein: Rhodes has pale whitish skin, elfin ears and deep, overly large emerald eyes. Thin black veins broach the surface of his skin like the roots of a tree emerging from the ground. Dark, broad leaves sprout from his wrists, ankles and temples, spreading around the back of his head. Deep red flowers bloom at the temples and wrists.
    Mantle

Mantle: A breath of icy wind, the kind that penetrates and sends a chill down the spine. Ash leaves in red, yellow and gold spin into existance around him, caught on the breeze. As the wind blows, unnerving whispers can be heard, always coming from a direction just out of one's field of vision.
    Rhodes Scenes

+1
    DV
    PRE

Flowering

Not a think to worry about in Autumn's etiquette, Sasha. Rhodes smiles at Penance, enjoying her respect. "Not at all, Penance. It means something to you. What kind of Monarch would I be if I didn't support your endeavors?"

"Sir Norton!" he says jovially. "Come in, come. Have you not met Penance before? The Paladin of Shadows of the Autumn Court."

The Dread Lord starts up the stairs. "Just give me a moment. I have something I was keeping to an occassion just like this one... Consider it my gift." He disappears up the stairs, returning with a 20 year old single malt whiskey and a bottle of red wine. "I'm not sure which you would prefer, but we can open both and enjoy ourselves to ring in the new year!" he beams.
    Flowering Fairest, Mantle: An ever-changing, spine-chilling icy wind, creating spinning autumn leaves and haunting whispers.

10. Likes Abyssalstar liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe had considered what to wear to a Chinese New Year celebration. She couldn't find a red cheongsam in her size so that was out. She did manage to scrounge up something sparkly though, plus a trench coat for the cold outside. She wasn't going to let the lack of a theme dress deter her at all. And using silk for the thigh holster had been just brilliant. Circe was still hoping to poach Penance for Summer sometime in the future. So she was making full haste to the gathering, carrying a tote bag in her left hand and a cloth grocery bag in her right, jogging in sneakers. Outside Edna's she saw the crowd, "Wooo! Made it in great time!" she kicks off the sneakers and socks to swap out the heels she'd had in the tote.

As she switched foot wear she greeted the hostess, "Hiya Penny! That's an adorable outfit," though she figured the girl should show more red. She got on the left shoe and greeted the rest, "Rhody! Abe! Nice suits." Then looks at Sonja, "Aaaaand now I know what happened ta the last sexy red one of those," her tone was flat as she got on the right heeled shoe, "Still sexy when worn by a sexy girl." After her shoe swap complete, Circe dropped the trench coat to show her own dress, "Aaaaand I found something pretty damn good. Plus I took somethin' Freya told me ta heart," she lifts the grocery bag which had a large number of green and choclate cookies to show off her own handiwork, "Cookies are a good bribe right? Ya can never have enough."
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

12. Likes Abyssalstar liked this post

The Fiery Forgemaster
    Strength
    Composure
    (Wrath's fire can break any metal.)
    Status
    (Arms Dealers)
    Cole Volker

An average man with a few scars and burns, in the mask his skin is a faint grey color and his veins seem to glow at times.

(Changing Kith Appearance (Mirror 1))Glamour 1 Spent
    PRE

Cole had heard of the invitation from one place or another- and... Well, he had to make up for some mistakes on his part. He didn't know much about the host, but knew the general theme. So, respecting the other seasons....

Clothing was the first step. A simple suit (in fact, the only one Cole possessed), black with a red tie, and simple black dress pants. Cole didn't have an eye for fashion, but clothes were the first step right? It was all so stiff.... As a comfort, Cole wore his chainlink bracelet underneath a cuff. It stuck out just slightly, and the constant feeling relaxed Cole as he looked in the mirror.

Next was... Well, Cole wasn't sure. Making a good impression? This was an autumn party far as he'd heard- they were all about magical stuff right? And a quick look on his phone showed it to be the... "Year of the Earth Pig." Cole didn't know much about the Zodiac, but he could work with Earth! Before leaving for the party, looking himself in the mirror, he spoke the words as the symbols that were etched into his metallic form glowed.

"Make my form the bones of the Earth."A gentle groan of metal as his steely exterior shifted to earth and ore. It worked. Metal was replaced by rock, chunks of ore defining his features. A party trick, and one Cole was becoming more comfortable using.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-02-13 13:24:23 Changing Kith Appearance (Mirror 1) rolls 4 to Manipulation + Wyrd (10 Again) 1, 3, 8, 7 1 success

Touching up some details, he walked into the location to find... Familiar faces. Perhaps Sonnie's presence shouldn't have been surprising, party animal that she was. Nor the Autumn Monarch's, given the event. Abraham was a welcome sight. Followed by his own leader and... A face he didn't quite recognize. The owner of the establishment? Everyone regarded her as such.

"Ah... Penance, was it? I'm Cole- kind of a new arrival. It's a pleasure to meet you... Hope you don't mind me dropping in. Figured I needed more experience in matters pertaining to... parties."

Or rather, more experience behaving 'well' at parties.

14. Likes Origins liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 18

You do not have permission to view the list of names.