Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

An Assembly of Two

THREADID
    S
    Shodan

After that morning on the Trail, equally exciting, awkward and weird, Shodan realizes he hasn't seen the other Libertine in a long, long time. Acting on the chance that she's still in town, the Prime Mover shoots her a text.

Hey! You up for a chat, comrade? I spend my days in a rented workspace in South Sac, coordinates attached, so feel free to pop in whenever. Food and drink provided. Cheers!

In the meantime, the Obrimos proceeds with his days as normal. The "rented workspace" is a glorified detached garage, slightly away from all the other buildings in the area. He tries to navigate his way around the room, which could be described as big, if not for the things cluttering every horizontal surface. Mechanical parts. Tools. A laptop. Take-out boxes, emptied out days ago. A whiteboard full of physics-related symbols stands in one corner. And along one wall, his grandest attempted project yet.

"It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!" Gemini will hear if/when she decides to approach the door, slightly ajar, leading to the room "Oh well, it was alive. Let's try that again"

Gemini girlwonder

G
    Gemini

Gotta love December! It's like family expects you to cancel life because Christmas is about to happen. I've been a little busy with that life/work balance thing. I'll drop in after finishing my audition tapes and sending them out. - G

Receiving the text from the only other Libertine she'd seen since her return at Thanksgiving reminded Gemini that part of the reason for her return was to be more involved in the Consilium and be more involved in the Free Council. And with Shodan reaching out, she couldn't leave the message ignored; she rather liked the guy and she hoped she hadn't rubbed him the wrong way with her attempt to make the situation less awkward by showing everyone her own relaxed personality in a song.

Driving herself to the exact location Shodan specified in a little red sports car, she would have quietly walked up to detached garage to knock on the door after hearing Shodan's voice on the other side.

"Hello? Friendly neighbourhood starlet here!"

Though the door was left ajar slightly, Gemini did not let herself in, waiting politely for the Mage on the other side to let her in.

I'm sorry I left Shodan hanging without a response at the Trail (personal stuff at the end of December), you could assume that her casual response was something along the lines of "Oh I tend to just sing off the cuff like that all the time." And then she probably would have just excused herself afterwards, mentioning something about needing to be home for brunch.

S
    Shodan

The knock on the door and announcement catches him somewhat by surprise, and with how fucused he was on what's directly in front of him, that meant mishandling some parts which fell, with clamor, on the concrete floor. Still, today he's meeting 50% of the local Free Council, so good mood is in order!

"On it!" Shodan responds and opens the door, revealing Gemini and bringing a friendly smile to the Prime Mover's face "You made it! Come on in!"

In addition to the junk and machines in various stages of disassembly, one of the longer walls of the workshop is entirely occupied by a grand computer... of sorts. The countless screens, dials and buttons are definitely mashed together from different sources, and the braids of cables make the device look a bit like a fallen, disemboweled mammoth. In preparation for the reception, the Obrimos shoves away everything from one of the tables in the middle of the room and pulls up two chairs on either side of it "Have a seat! You fancy something to drink? I have water, juice, uh, vodka and the coffee machine in the back probably works" A shy smile "If you're hungry, then I'm afraid it can be either snacks or re-heated pizza, if you're into that sort of thing"

Don't worry about it! We have this thread to announce longer absences, it's helpful to know when we can expect you back!

G
    Gemini

Gemini wasn't sure entirely how to take Shodan in his natural habitat so to speak. Her mother definitely had a nerdy tech side she lacked, but more in the programming department than the hardware department, so she wasn't used to seeing all the physical parts to technology. As she carefully stepped into the room, she gave the various pieces of tech an approving nod.

"I see you've been busy," came the casual comment as she sat down on the chair that was offered, her legs crossed, "I'll take a glass of orange juice if you have it, and bring the bottle of vodka too."

S
    Shodan

"Busy? That'd be about right" Shodan doesn't stop for one second while speaking, instead walking towards the shelf with orange juice on it when an order is placed. From there, it's just a couple of steps towards the tourist fridge with bottles of alcohol so cold that to touch them feels like being bitten "Between this entire Clock business, getting to know the town and developing AENEAS over there, I had little time for rest" He goes back to the table, grabbing some paper cups on his way, then places all of the items before Gemini. He waits until she's poured herself whatever she wants in whatever proportions before fixing himself a cup of juice.

"Screw rest anyway, I'll sleep when I'm dead" He is now sitting in front of the Mastigos. Then he catches a thought "No glasses, sorry. Too breakable for the serious top-gear experimentation going on here" Shodan smiles apologetically "What about you? You mentioned some audition tapes"

G
    Gemini

Gemini poured herself a drink, a generous serving of vodka in her glass of orange juice as Shodan spoke about the latest goings on, nodding in all the appropriate places, keeping her expression neutral.

"Pilot season. I couldn't actually drive out to LA for every single audition so I've been sending out tapes. It's a month of hell where an actor looks at a bunch of scripts and hopes to potentially land the part that will eventually lead to a regular job."

The blonde took a sip of her drink, a satisfied look on her face. It was just what she needed to take the edge off after what Shodan was mentioning. There were a lot of things that needed to be discussed, but the primary thing on her mind since she'd returned home at Thanksgiving was the state of the Consilium and how the two of them would fit in as Libertines.

"We have a bit to cover," she commented casually, "Where do you want to start?"

S
    Shodan

The girl certainly started off strong.

"You considered being a stage actress instead? Seems to me like a lot less of a hassle... and you don't have a platoon of paparazzis following you everywhere" Not that he has experience being either. Mostly, he's just fishing, wondering what response he will get.

"The way I figure things stand, we have the following on the agenda: one, we don't know each other that well, which sucks in my opinion, so I'd like to throw in some small talk at the beginning: skills, hobbies, plans, that kind of thing. Two, I think we should figure out what role the Council should play in Sacramento, at least in broad strokes. Three, there's current affairs in the city, including the new Hierarch thing and four - Any Other Business" That came out as a rather imposing list. Shodan regrets not making notes in preparation "Of course, it's all flexible, so if you want to add or remove something, feel free"

Barring a display of overt disagreement with a plan so presented, the Prime Mover will proceed "So yeah, the meet&greet part... since it's my idea, I'll start. Shodan, Adam Warwick to Sleepers, I spent most of my life in or around California, specifically Silicon Valley. Got a degree in California Institute of Technology, then worked for a corporation. There's an NDA the size of a phone book that basically says I can't tell you which one, but what I can tell you is that Elon Musk is an asshole" He winks "Awakened a couple years ago, seen some mages so conservative they'd put Sarah Palin to shame and immediately fell in with the Council crowd. I'm BFF with software and hardware of all types, know my way around the theory too. When I'm not working on a self-learing AI, I enjoy chess and long walks on the beach" This dating app joke is so stale it doesn't even sound funny in Shodan's head, but there you have it.

"If you have questions ask away, I'm like an open book. If not, what about you? Though I know you said some things at the Trail already, and if you don't feel like sharing anymore, I respect that"

I propose we avoid talking about the Consilium politics until after the Duel is resolved, at which point we'll be able to talk freely about the new Hierarch

G
    Gemini

There was a playful smile on Gemini’s face as she considered Shodan’s words. Behind those crystal blue eyes, it was easy to see that the wheels were turning in her head as she took in every word he spoke. It was true that they needed to get to know each other. She really had no interest in the rest of it, but she needed to know where Shodan’s head was at and what his position was so that she could support him as a felllow Libertine. It wasn’t like her ideologies were that far removed, despite her lack her interest.

Focusing on the getting to know each other part, the blonde addressed his comment about stage acting. “I was gone for four years, learning my craft and hitting the audition circuit. Broadway was tough for me, not because of the competitive aspect of the auditions or anything that...”

There was a bit of a pause as she considered which parts of her story to share in exchange for what Shodan shared.

“I guess if I’m to explain why I moved back home, I’m going to have to give you a little more context. I’m Vanessa Erikson to the sleepers, and aside from college in NYC, I’ve lived in California my whole life. Grew up in Sacremento. My Mother took a job as a programmer for a local mobile app startup and my Dad was in the Military when I was really young, but he travels to Seattle for business a lot these days. I’ve always been really close to my parents. Sometimes a little too close. My Mom and I clash big time but Dad says it’s because we’re so similar. I think it’s because she takes herself to damn seriously. “

Gemini was drinking out of her glass to take the edge off again. She was getting to the part of the story that would explain her career choices and her homecoming and it was obvious that it was a bit of a sore spot in the way her posture tensed and her expression tightened slightly.

“My whole life has been about singing, dancing, acting...as far as I’m concerned, it’s what I’m meant to do for the rest of my life...but my Awakening came at a really difficult time 5 years ago...I’m in a better place now but I would rather be closer to my family. That’s really the deciding factor between stage acting and screen acting.”

S
    Shodan

Family drama. The one hardest to get away from.

"You mother... you mentioned before she's a Thearch, right? What about your father? Is he a mage, too? More to the point, do they still live here and do you think there can be any problems regarding them?" He catches himself, and endeavors to hide an expression of embarassment with pouring himself a weak drink "I'm... sorry for all these questions, it's just that I want to know if my help is needed" Shodan smiles sheepishly. Judging by the tensing muscles, family is a difficult subject for his fellow Libertine and this is not a Guardian blacksite prison. He's not interrogating anyone.

"Oh, and also I totally forgot the magical magicness. I'm a Disciple of Forces, an Apprentice of Matter and an Initiate in both Prime and Mind. You? I'm not bringing this up to show off or anything, it's mostly for doing inventory when we'd need to know who has what guns at their disposal" Slow the hell down, man. You are speaking in suppresive fire now.

"Speaking of magic, there's this thing... at the Trail... I think someone's been poking around my head. Like, changed the way I feel - it's hard to describe. Did you feel it too?" There is any number of possible explanations. Was it a lone Seer sniping at them? A ghost? A magical creature from another plane of existence? Shodan really has no clue. And it scares him.

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

It has been almost a week. I'll close this scene later this weekend if no one posts.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.