Ended
Watch

Springs in Training

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    A
    Abraham Norton

"You watch way too much Dragon Ball" Yeah, the other Spring knows his pop culture references too "But if you don't feel like sharing, that's okay" Swings of sticks, steps in all directions, attempting to find the best angle and confuse the opponent a little "So how about I tell you something about me to get the ball rolling?" Wood clashes, thunks "Back in my previous freehold, I used to do mercenary work for a group of friends. Once, we got paid to scare a guy whose death was foretold by a hob as "coming on feathered wings"" Abraham side-steps to avoid being hit "Some political game or other. We spent a week to stitch wings and brew make-up, only to discover that minutes before our arrival our target choked to death on a chicken bone"

Finally, he barges forward, pushing his body weight like a battering ram. The upside - assault connects with much more force than before. Downside - for the moment, Abraham is slightly dazed and exposed. Before he collects himself, his defense isn't just tattered - it's not there at all.

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-01-04 03:21:23 Abraham Norton rolls 8 to All Out Attack! (10 Again) 8, 7, 1, 6, 8, 5, 8, 3 3 successes

Abraham uses an All Out Attack and loses his Defense in this round!

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

An alluring young beauty, Sonnie Wu is 5'2" and lean-bodied, with a light, nimble step and eyes that seem to say "Hey, you know what would be fun?" Her reddish-brown hair often seems slightly unkempt, and an amused smile regularly plays on her lips. Sonnie is usually dressed casually or for outdoor activity. She almost always wears a pair of red leather tabi boots.
    Mien:

To the eyes of Fae, Sonnie's feet are like those of a monkey: Toes as long as fingers, with one on each foot being opposable like a thumb. A long monkey tail protrudes from the base of Sonnie's spine, covered in hair the same shade as her head. It appears to be prehensile, and often moves to react to her mood and dances about when she speaks, like people who "talk with their hands." Finally, her brown eyes turn golden.
    Mundane Equipment:

Smart phone, messenger bag, quarterstaff, 2 throwing knifes (concealed), 3 goblin fruit (changes by season), mountain bike.
    Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes
      Dreaming, Cloak of the Elements

()Willpower 1 Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Steepscrambler

"There's no such thing as too much anime! How dare you, sir!" The monkey girl grinned excitedly, hopping from foot to foot as her staff weaved about. "Well, take about biting off more than you can chew, I..."

Whump! The Fairest's strike hit her pretty hard. She rolled with it like she had been trained, but it was still a telling blow. Sonnie coughed out a breath, and something in her eyes shifted for a moment, going somewhat feral in response to the collected aches and pains she was feeling. The Beast gave a monkey-like screech as she lashed out. It wasn't anger, per se, but definitely a passionate response. Forgoing all thoughts of defense, her staff swept in hard and struck solidly!

After seeing how nasty a blow it was, Sonnie blinked and regained herself. She was, however, still wide open to counterattack. "Oh, shit! You okay? Maybe we should stop?"

4 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2019-01-04 10:24:28 Sonnie Wu rolls 12 to Wild Monkey Attack (10 Again, WillPower) 3, 1, 4, 8, 9, 3, 10, 5, 7, 3, 3, 10, 5, 4 4 successes

Sonnie also uses All-Out Attack, leaving her defenseless. Pretty sure it carries over to the next round, but maybe we back off? We're close to wound penalties and possible lethal damage here.
    Spring Mantle (Scent of Flowers and Fruit)

3. Likes Vincent liked this post
    A
    Abraham Norton

His attack struck true, but whatever joy at the accomplishment he's felt it disappeared quickly when Sonnie went full feral, with wild eyes and a hellish screech. For a moment he didn't see a likeable monkey-girl - he saw a Beast. She used the moment perfectly, smashing her quarterstaff into his chest, just below the ribcage. The potency of this blow sends him a step back and steals his breath. For a second, he wanted to counterattack, to engage further in this passionate exchange, but as if pulling him out of water by his hair, Sonnie's voice cools Abraham's blood.

"Well, it hurts like hell" The bruise is going to make great party talk for a long time "And that means two things: first, that I'm still alive, which is good. And second, that you are a damn good warrior. Congratulations!" He attempts to pat the Steepscrambler on the shoulder, all brotherly-like "Although you still need to work on some of your moves. You expose your left side too much" He takes a deep breath "Yes, let's call this one a tie. We can always do more later"

"And Sonnie, I have to tell you something. Ever since I met you, I was wondering..." His voice deepens and assumes a tone reminiscent of soap opera actors, only to shift back to normal for the next sentence "...Is that tail actually prehensile? You ever tried disarming people with it?"

Per the All Out Attack entry on the wiki "If your character's Defense is applied against any incoming attack in a turn, he cannot perform an all-out attack in that turn", meaning Sonnie couldn't have done it - not that it's relevant in this particular roll But I agree, we had enough stick-y fun for today

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

An alluring young beauty, Sonnie Wu is 5'2" and lean-bodied, with a light, nimble step and eyes that seem to say "Hey, you know what would be fun?" Her reddish-brown hair often seems slightly unkempt, and an amused smile regularly plays on her lips. Sonnie is usually dressed casually or for outdoor activity. She almost always wears a pair of red leather tabi boots.
    Mien:

To the eyes of Fae, Sonnie's feet are like those of a monkey: Toes as long as fingers, with one on each foot being opposable like a thumb. A long monkey tail protrudes from the base of Sonnie's spine, covered in hair the same shade as her head. It appears to be prehensile, and often moves to react to her mood and dances about when she speaks, like people who "talk with their hands." Finally, her brown eyes turn golden.
    Mundane Equipment:

Smart phone, messenger bag, quarterstaff, 2 throwing knifes (concealed), 3 goblin fruit (changes by season), mountain bike.
    Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Steepscrambler

Sonnie, for her part, flopped down into a sitting position, one free hand rubbing her ribs, the other holding her staff to the side. She grinned and nodded, "I know, I need to work on my defense. Too many of your strikes were getting through. Ow." She winced when she prodded her left side. "My ribs will be sore in the morning. Yeah, tie sounds good!"

She ran her fingers through her hair, as her ponytail had come loose during the sparring match. "Sorry the monkey got out of the cage there... sometimes I get worked up and forget myself. Anyway, you left yourself wide open there at the end, Abe. Gutsy move, dude! Respect!"

Then the Beast smirked as her tail took hold of her staff and moved it behind her, leaving both of her hands free. "Why yes it is, as are my feet. I'm also ambidextrous! I've basically got 5 hands... well, 4 and a half. The tail is no good for texting."

My mistake! I'll remember that in the future!

A
    Abraham Norton

"Seems like we both got a little carried away" Abraham smiles at Sonnie "There's nothing wrong with striking with Passion, but like most things you should apply it well. If those were real swords, guts would be all over the place, indeed" He looks towards the discarded staves and takes a seat opposite of the monkey-girl "What I'm saying is, if you do that, you better make sure it's an all-or-nothing situation. I had this friend, once, telling me a parable" The knight-errant appears deep in thought, as if fishing a memory out.

"Of a scorpion and a pair of mating spiders - equally poisonous creatures. The scorpion easily killed the male spider because he is so small. Then the female, enraged by the loss of her mate, attacks the scorpion with everything she's got. You see, she kills the scorpion, but then realizes she's been stung. The venom takes root and she, in turn, is doomed" Apparently, the memory is a fond one, as Abraham smiles "'Such blind actions are dangerous and pointless' She used to say. Would you agree with that?"

He arches an eyebrow as she explains the intricacies of her physiology. "That is... Wow" is all he's able to say.

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

Mien:

Mundane Equipment:

Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Steepscrambler

"Passion is usually an all-or-nothing proposition. That's what makes it such a risk and why most people are so inhibited. People fear pain, or loss, so they fear taking a chance. Fear is the enemy of Desire. Well, enemy might be a little strong. Obstacle, maybe? Anyway, this is why Spring and Autumn are opposites, right? By taking that risk, we're living the best Spring life!" the Beast said, being surprisingly thoughtful on the subject. By now she was laying on her back, legs in the air, as she slowly twirled her quarterstaff with her feet. Those toes were just as nimble as her fingers.

"Cool story, bro! You like telling tales, don't you? Do you write children's books or something?"

A
    Abraham Norton

"That is true" He nodded at the Beast's answer. Her analysis more or less matches his and shows she has given the matter some thought, prompting a smile "Or at least my, urm, our version of true. The Ashen Court might see it a bit differently. I always figured that if we got the second chance like that, if our Desire for freedom was so strong that it carried us across dimensions - then it's only right we live our new life to its fullest, on our own terms. And if the scorpion threatens what's ours, then we slay the motherless cur right back, consequences be damned" His tone is even, but impassioned, it's clear he feels strongly about the subject "But I'm preaching to the choir, am I not?" Abraham says much softer.

"Oh yes, you bet I do. I live for it, really. That's why I ask all these questions, to get the story right. Yours, for example. I wouldn't want to miss any details about Sonnie the Verdant Warrioress of Planet Sandala when I'll be singing ballads about you" A grin "But I am also proficient with jokes. Did you hear that one about a man who turned to a fence? They say he became a real post-human"

Insert laugh track here.

"No, I didn't write a book yet. But I'd definitely want to, when I feel I'm too old to travel anymore. In the meantime, I considered doing some work as a clown doctor. The kids and adults surely could use a laugh or two"

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

Mien:

Mundane Equipment:

Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Steepscrambler

The Beast smiled, feet still idly twirling her staff in the air, "Oh, I'm sure they all see it differently. It's why the other Courts exist, right? Laughing in the face of the Others isn't for everyone. But, yeah, we're kind of an echo chamber here, aren't we?"

Sonnie sat back up, a tad gingerly from her bruises, and set her staff across her folded legs. She tilted her head to one side, her face neutral, as she listened to Abraham's joke. It was several beats before she answered.

"Mmmmm... no. Just no. Try harder."

Then she broke into a smile, "Just make sure my ballad mentions how nice my butt is. And also... wait, a clown doctor? No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no! No! Too creepy!" She shook her head vehemently. "Do you want to frighten children? Are you Autumn now?"

A
    Abraham Norton

Abraham sighs heavily. Obviously his joke falling flat is not his fault, because obviously it's the monkey-girl who simply lacks a sense of humor. Obviously.

"Well, how about this one" He clears his throat "I bought a ceiling fan today. A complete waste of money, let me tell you. He just stands there, applauding and saying 'Ooh, I love how smooth it is'" He raises his eyebrows and gauges the Beast's reaction.

The Steepscrambler's... lively reaction baffles the knight-errant somewhat "You know that not everyone is afraid of clows, right? Some people actually enjoy them, and they're not all serial killers, contrary to popular belief. But in any case, it's the principle that counts. I think you'd do amazing in that role, too, I mean you seem like you can liven up a funeral and get away with it" The latest Coronation notwithstanding, perhaps.

"So you run. And you clearly can handle a weapon. It's a good skillset to pick up or... hone in the Hedge. You ever wander there?"

Sonja "Sonnie" Wu
    Striking Looks
    (Playful)
    Presence
    (Mischievous)
    Dexterity
    (Nimble)
    New Identity
    (Sonja Wu)
    Mantle
    (Spring)
    Mask:

Mien:

Mundane Equipment:

Hedgespun

Cloud-Stepping Shoes
    Hedgespun ● +2 Speed

Riyu Jingu Bang (Staff)
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Damage

Coin of the Lucky Monkey
    Hedgespun ●● +2 Defense
    Sonnie Wu Scenes

+1
    SL
    PRE

Steepscrambler

"Okay, first of all," she said indignantly, glazing over Abraham's newest joke for the most part, "ceilings aren't smooth. They got that bumpy plaster. Second, clowns are evil. Maybe you don't understand. See, monkeys and clowns are natural enemies. Thousands of years of evolution have placed us in a ruthless competition for survival!" Her tail punctuated her speech with little air jabs as she barreled forward with the topic. "My simian sisters and brothers have been waging an ancient war with those honk-nosed bastards in order to keep you human safe! They would eat your souls! You're welcome!"

Her silly tirade over, Sonnie relaxes once more and smiles. Her curiosity was peaked by the change of subject. "I haven't gotten the opportunity to explore the local Hedge, yet. I'm curious to see it, but it's not someplace to go alone, usually. Some of those goblin fruits would be cool to have, I think. Why? Have you been there recently?"

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 9

You do not have permission to view the list of names.