(Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

The Deputy listened. It's what she was good at. There was more to politics than debate and relaying one's views after all. In this way, the Ordo Dracul was no different than other covenants. Thus, Blackbird restrained herself from uttering a single word as the Dragons spoke.

Lina recieved an expression not unlike the ones she had viewed previously. A contented smirk tainted ever slightly with the cold envy she had of the Grand Wyrm's... presence. Her Soul for lack of a better term. Further her statements regarding the first Principia of the Ordo Dracul appealed to the bird's sense of individuality and need for autonomy. Thus, no overt objection to her words could be seen on the Daeva's face. She simply relaxed as the Gramd Wyrm spoke.

If only her pride allowed the same amicability to Atticus' words.

It was the title that bothered her and it was plain to see. Slave. Once the word was spoken, Blackbird's practiced smile faded and she regarded the Gangrel supplicant with the cold, calculating stare that only a Kindred who has given perhaps too much to her Beast could manage. It was clear. Blackbird's humanity was weathered and her degeneration would not afford her the ability to mask her true thoughts at such a slight. Yet, some deep part knew that if Atticus had spoken out of turn regarding her place in the Dragons, Lina would have already reprimanded him. This meant she was, for the moment, a Slave. Even in the eyes of her ally, Lina. It was a hard pill to swallow and such thoughts were plain on the Daeva's visage.

She was a Slave. Fine.

It still hurt.

Nonetheless, the neonate was not so far gone to lose herself. Blackbird closed her eyes, pulling in a long, unnecessary breath before pushing it out of her lungs. Even in undeath the motion calmed some piece of herself and when she opened her eyes, greeting her new kin again with her pale gaze, she seemed more content and balanced, but at least a tint of her coldness never left her being.

Finally, words came from Dirt Nap's mouth. His words were simple. To the point. No doubt an indication of the viewpoint of the Kindred who spoke them. To him, Blackbird answered only with an expression of neutrality, with the Daeva straining against her instincts to lash out for the previous, imagined slight of Atticus.

"I understand and accept these principles," she offered, her voice controlled, "If I am to be a Slave until I attain understanding of these Coils, what do you ask of me?"

There was an element of bitterness at the end of the statement, with her eyes landing on Lina. Had she accepted a hand up in the Greater Court only to become a servant to Lina and her brethren? Blackbird felt... betrayed, at least partially, and that much was clear. Yet, their was acceptance in her voice, even as her face glinted with a silent rage.

2. Likes Ruach, Cameron liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

Lina watched Blackbird the second Atticus threw that title out there, dry. No warning, no explanation, no lubricant.

"I expect you to take that wounded pride, and use it to power you through your first Coil."

A glance to Atticus, then back.

"Let's talk for a moment about the history of Ordo Dracul titles and how our Covenant works. Dracula handed down a long list of titles, based on the number of Coils of the Dragon an individual has accomplished, because that is one of the two main paths of hard power in our organization. Those titles pay homage up the line, and those of us with few Coils are, generally speaking, given titles with subservient names. So. Someone with zero coils is called 'Slave'. You and Priscus Weiss hold this rank at this time. Someone with one Coil is called 'Supplicant'. Someone with two coils is called 'Scribe'. As in, writing shit down for someone more important. It's pretty old-timey, but Dracula's baller and the system works, so."

She shrugged. They all had titles that indicated they were minions. Here, the scale was much smaller than at a grand Chapterhouse in, say, New York.

"Et cetera, et cetera. We'll get into the particulars in lessons, but the point is, even I have a title that indicates I am a servant. And that's true. I'm a Scribe. If an Adept or a Master showed up, I'd salute 'em and do what they said to do unless it violated the Principia Draconis. In this way, there is a hierarchy. Your job, right now, is to study, learn, and continue being the kickass scholar that you are. Cool?"

She paused, glancing to the three of them for a moment before continuing.

"Supplicants, this is a question for you as well as Blackbird. I want you to get a sense of where you're going next. We drive forward in the Great Work of our studies with unrelenting purpose. All three of the people in this room have begun to study the Beast, learning how to Chain it. Bird, this makes all three of us students of 'Terror'. We all know how to chain the Beast when it is about to fly off the handle, and overcome Frenzy with the force of our will. There are more Coils of the Beast that these gentlemen could learn.

My second Coil is the study of the Soul. Learning how to shake the Man loose from the Beast, so Humanity no longer chains me. I look human. Truly human. Down that road further lies mastery over the psychosis that falling Humanity can cause.

There are other coils. Coils that allow you to overcome and control the downsides of Torpor. Coils that allow you to minimize your Blood use and prevent starvation. Coils that allow you to overcome elements of Fire. It's all there. And you get to pick where you would like to go.

So, all three of you - where would you like to go?"

Lina looked from each to each, genuinely interested in their path.

A
    Atticus James

Blackbird's response is understandable and expected. The title was an antiquated one that Atticus didn't care for. But if that minute detail set Blackbird into a spiral, then this was not the right path from her. Being called a Slave was by far the easiest of the discomforts that the little bird would experience.

The Grand Wyrm's explanation was an excellent summation of the tip of an everlasting iceberg.

"As the Grand Wyrm explained, I am a Supplicant of Terror. In being such, I have experienced dark, uncontrollable, places within myself. But I have only scratched at those depths. My current research is that of fear, I have been working with kine to understand their fears, and why those fears send them into a panicked state. With enough research and training, I hope to be able to control my own."

The Coil of Banes will be an interesting challenge, from there, who knows...

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Dirt Nap nods appreciatively at Atticus Jame's plan laid out.

"Supplicant of Terror too." Dirt Nap says. "Mostly worked at it so far dealing with depriving the Beast. Controlling it, forcing down the frenzy, even when it feels like it's gonna starve." he says. "I'm not trying anything around people though. I'm working it with animals." he explains.

"I'm working out a change to Coil of the Blood now. Working with a 'Herd', only not people. Horses. Gonna train and break this Beast proper before I try anything to fit in with people better." he says, sounding determined and methodical. "Get it to where it's completely satisfied, and thriving on animal blood." he says.

"When I got it good and broke, then, I can work on people things. Bein' awake in the day. Blood circulating in the body normal like." he says, "That's a long way off for me."

Public Identity: Lisbeth "Beth" Graham
    Striking Looks
    (Captivating)
    Allies
    (Criminals)
    Contacts
    (Criminals, Academia)
    Barfly
    New Identity
    (Lisbeth Graham)
    Blackbird

Daeva Curse - Glutton for Praise:
    Blackbird's ego often gets her into trouble. If someone offers Blackbird praise or compliments regarding her abilities when attempting to recruit her for a task, she finds the request quite difficult to refuse, even if such an action might be particularly dangerous to her well being.

FAME
    +1
    SL
    PRE

At Lina's response, Blackbird's acidic look faded, replaced with a glint of shame for her hasty assumption regarding her new title.

"I apologize for my rash reaction,"
    she said, "Certainly a hierarchy is crucial to any collection of our brethren. I am glad to hear the Ordo Dracul bases such things on merit."

As Lina spoke her next question, Blackbird took some time to think on what she was asking. Growth was an important topic to discuss, certainly. Likewise, the concept of reigning in the Beast, destroying the fear of fire, and altering the properties of her blood all seemed like great things. Yet, it was not what she wanted. Not right now. No. Blackbird wanted something subtler, but much more profound in meaning, at least to her. It was no secret to some that the bird was colder than she appeared, she felt things with less intensity than others and, if not for her charisma, it would show easily on her face. Hell, it still did time to time.

Thus, when Blackbird finally looked up to Lina, her eyes were had a pleading cast to them. "I want to feel," Blackbird replied, letting the statement sink. Cold as she was, Blackbird was nothing if not a tad theatrical. Perhaps that was to make up for aspects of humanity she had lost. "You know that warmth you used to feel when you meet a friend after a long time? The genuine half-smiles people couldn't help but give when you flattered them? And Goosebumps?" the neonate was rambling a bit, but seemed to be looking to the distance as if remembering fond memories, her face a faint glimmer somewhere between loss and fond rememberance, "It's funny how often it's the small things you miss..."

Looking back to Lina, "I think that is what I want to do," she said, her voice again resolute, "I want to feel again, Grand Wyrm. Do you think this Coil of Souls that you mentioned helping you could help me?"

Despite her best efforts, a tinge of desperation still tainted Blackbird's words. She did not want to go the way of many an Elder, slowly degrading socially over time until communication with Kindred and kine was almost painful. She wanted to be admired by the kine again, rather than treated with the caution they now often afforded her on instinct until her words pulled them in against their better judgement.

7. Likes Cameron, Ruach liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

Atticus's path made sense to her. He seemed a tactical sort, a rugged and certain fella who had a way about him that simply said that he was going to go through whatever got in his way if he had to. Fear was the mindkiller, so he would learn it until it no longer killed his. That made sense.

Nap's, on the other hand, just made him sound like he was scared to drink people. He was young, and it showed. It would be decades before this one had no choice but to eat people. But perhaps, he was experimenting. Or perhaps he was truly just a kindly soul that didn't want to. In either case, perhaps van Valen's notes would be of help to him. She gave him an approving nod.

Blackbird's apology was met with a smile. She didn't feel the need to dive into it more. If the Supplicants wanted to, they could. Rather, she heard out the young Daeva's plea to be once more with feeling. She understood that. Pieces of it came, but truly, feeling came from Humanity. Still, feeling closer to lower-case 'h' humanity, feeling welcome, that helped.

"In a round-about way, yes. I can help you, Blackbird. Because though this Coil does not magically make you a person in your heart again, what it does do is make you welcome around them. And the psychological benefits of being welcome among people, rather than the unconscious fear that humans have of our kind on an animal level... yeah. It helps stave off that darkness. That loneliness."

It was something. It was a first step.

"I have attained this Coil, done its Chrysalis. I can help you with this."

A wry smile crossed her face, as she looked to her group.

"We're going to need to get a lot of space, friends. We have experiments to be done, don't we?"

I'm good to wrap, unless anyone else had anything to add at this point. Plot going forward, a Chapterhouse organized, research paths set... we're doing good!

Presence
    (Watching)
    New Identity Clayton Jordan Carter
    Obfuscate 2 Mask of Tranquility
    Occultation (Vampire)
    Dirt Nap
    Dirt Nap Scenes

OCC
    PRE

Good to wrap. May our next meeting be in our chapter house!

A
    Atticus James

I'm good to wrap.

I'm also good to wrap! Looking forward to the next scene!

Page 4 of 4 First 1 2 3 4
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.