Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

H: 5'8"
    Misc: speaks with a light French accent

+1
    SL
    PRE

The moon was in a Waxing Crescent on this still Summer night. It looked small against an empty night sky. Fair Oaks was a curious mix of suburbia, hotels, and tourists. The streets were practically empty and clean; with the Summer coming to a close most visitors had left the homes and hotels vacant. Streetlights provided islands of light in the vast night, but still cast shadows that twisted into a vague Rorschach's shape of nightmares out of the corner of the eye. Fair Oaks looked pretty because kine worked to make it so, but even among the beauty monsters hid in open sight.

The guesthouse was rented out under Leaves' Airbnb for the weekend. It was a tiny home with pale white walls and a sloped tiled roof. Privacy was the first thing in mind when Clara had Leaves rent the house with her money: it was fenced off from the main house, the owners were out of town, and it was sandwiched in-between two two-story townhouses. That, coupled with the lemon tree growing in front of the doll-like house, made it hard to find if you didn't know what to look for.

Clara was lounging on a black floating chair in the pool. A Bluetooth speaker nearby was blasting a song. Clara was lazily bobbing to it, the heart-shaped sunglasses shifting a bit on her vacant expression. The Bacchante had slipped into a black one piece swimsuit with a white Sicilian bow tie tied under her cleavage. A foot lazily played with the luminescent green water as she stared out into space.

She had told John to come meet her here. The Priscus of Clan Daeva wanted her due. The way Doctor Simmons hounded him like a shark that smelled blood indicated there was more there with the First Estate. And then there's the Prince's own known displeasure of him. Clara thought on the huge liability that she called cousin and what the next move would be.

2. Likes JonReeves, liked this post
    J
    John Davis

The message Davis received was brief. But from one of the few in the Domain he trusted. He would show. He had donned a more modern urban cowboy attire. Davis did not like it and would return to his 19th Century wardrobe as soon as he had a chance to restock his closet.

He arrived at the hard to find location and waited by the front door a full five minutes before knocking. He could hear the music coming from the back but was not going to break courtesy by trespassing uninvited. He would wait to be acknowledged and invited in.

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara debated who could be knocking for the briefest of moments. Then she felt that familiar tug in her gut. Distant but distinct. She hopped off the lounge chair and slipped under the water's surface. The Bacchante took two and a half strokes before climbing out of the pool and throwing her wet mop of hair out of her features.

She picked up a waiting towel and didn't quite dry herself off, but made it so she didn't drip water as she walked. In the backyard, secluded by fences and a tall gazebo, there was no need to falsify life. Up front there could be eyes. Clara walked through the furnished home with the towel wrapped around her waist and coaxed life into her cheeks and limbs. At the door, her instinct to punch through the wood was distinct but she relaxed her more brutal impulse and opened it.

"John." She said with a distinct lack of surprise. No usual flirty hello or tease; Clara was looking at her cousin critically. "Well come in." The inside was carpeted white with plush cashmere and decorated with furniture that had distinct nautical themes. A couch with the frame of what looked like a small fishing boat hull, polished to a dark sheen. Ottomans crowned with plush sea-green and blue pillows made out of barrels. Three different mounted fish trophies; one immediately adjacent to the front door, one in the modest kitchen, and one in the living room.

Clara closed the door behind John as soon as he entered and walked around him to pick up her phone from the backyard. She switched off the music and stood for a long moment with the green glow of the pool highlighting her features. She turned to look at him over her shoulder and spoke in a breathy whisper, so low Davis would have to strain to hear her. "I'm now Whip Verne, John. But I'd still ask you to call me Clara when in private." Whips were curious unofficially official assholes. But there were gentler ways to whip. "Did you find the place okay? No trouble or draw any attention unto yourself?"

5. Likes JonReeves, liked this post
    J
    John Davis

"Congratulations. A wise choice by our Prisci." Davis was of few words as of late. "No trouble, just a long walk. Just a lone Colonel out for a stroll."

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara regarded John for a moment. None of the usual verbosity. Curious. She turned on a heel and walked into the house. A fresh towel had been laid out on the sofa beforehand and Clara settled into it as she removed the heart-shaped sunglasses from her face. "Thanks," she said flatly.

"Sit, please." She'd wait a moment. Whether he chose to sit or stand, Clara continued shortly after, "You've had some bad nights, John. I've seen a few and heard of twice as many. Let's be open with each other and lay all our cards out on the table." She reached towards the coffee table directly in front of the sofa, pulled a cabinet, and fished out a pack of tarot cards. "You like cards, right?" She asked with a smile.

"My Brother loved these. Not these specifically, I bought them of Etsy. But he loved how universal these could be. If you'd indulge me." Delicate fingers traced over the black and gold of the deck. She set the deck on the coffee table and flipped over the first card. It was The Hanged Man. "I'm no Crone, so I won't read your fortune, but I chose this card to represent you. This is the card to meditate on to help break old patterns of behavior and bad habits that restrict." Her eyes fluttered and blinked at John.

"Do you think you have bad habits, John?"

8. Likes Dark Passenger, JonReeves, liked this post
    J
    John Davis

Davis took a seat opposite Clara. He listened to her carefully and then she pulled out a telltale deck. Tarot!!! Please, not you too. Another damsel succumbs to the Voodoo of the Crone. Davis thought.

"Cards are my friend. Just not those cards." Clara couldn't have known Davis's past in New Orleans. The rituals Kindred who strayed down the wrong alley were subjected to. The diablerie rituals rumored to have gone wrong.

"I am relieved that you have not gone all witchy. I don't think my heart could take it. And I'm not a believer in the Voodoo." Davis lied.

"We all have habits. The older we are the more fixed we are in them. I don't see my habits as bad but misunderstood by the youthful and misaligned." Davis paused to reflect on his words. Had he chosen them correctly or would this encounter too come back and bite him in the arse? "Continue." He would humor Clara who had yet do anything to harm him.

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Was that fear that had flashed across John's face? Clara chuckled and nodded at his reaffirming that no, Clara hadn't joined the Circle. "Maybe these cards can be teachers," she intoned lightly.

She listened to John's answer. "See, that's a non-answer if I ever heard one. When the Prince has made her displeasure of you known, it's wise to give yourself a good long look, hey, John?" Clara let the statement hang in the air before continuing. The night had precious few hours and fixing John of his every little flaw would only take until dawn.

"Now comes the main reason I've asked you here." She pulled the next card; it was the Nine of Rings. "This card I think you'll find interesting. It represents financial stability. Someone supported by their own business or land." Big doe eyes flashed up to look at John. "Can you think of anyone who'd want this?" John had only asked for Tenancy half a hundred times since coming to Sacramento.

"Funny enough, this card also specifically is for someone who turns the worst situation around to their benefit. That's what I want to talk about tonight. This is an opportunity, John, if only you give me the chance to explain it."

"Let me explain the first step to achieve what this card represents. Priscus Moretti is insulted. She is demanding Prestation for your outburst in her direction during the meeting. Settling up with the Priscus will help to ensure Clan Daeva won't openly hound you. We need to present a unified front and you're one of us. Once you've made the Boon public she will not speak out against your name."

"I'm sure you can see how beneficial this would be for you. It'll give you time and, with Prestation made public, the matter will have been settled. To dredge it up any further would only be a weakness. For either of you."

11. Likes JonReeves, liked this post
    J
    John Davis

"As our Priscus, I will spill precious vitae to protect her. If she wants it, it is her's. To formalize that in the form of a blood boon would not be objectionable." I will do what I must. Put on a fancy show. But when the guillotine falls, I will not be my neck stuck out to save hers.

Davis could see that Clara had prepared a lengthy lecture for him, so he leaned back to better absorb her speech. Her attire partly distracting him as he envisioned how she would have looked at Belle Cora's place in San Francisco. Clara would have definitely been one of the more popular and in-demand girls. Davis was careful to keep his body language neutral and not the lecherous direction his mind was currently heading. If the next card is the Lovers, I may develop a tell.

"Please continue."

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Here we'll stop for a moment. Priscus Moretti's grievance is only the most pressing. That I know about," she said as her pale fingers set the deck face down on the coffee table. "So let's talk about debts and how you'll use them." She crossed one leg over another and leaned back into her towel. Her hands, free of cards to play with, rested in her lap.

"I'm sure you've been able to surmise why I'm talking to you about habits and building up your position in Sacramento. The Priscus wants nothing to do with you until she sees value in you staying in Sacramento."

"I've given my word that you have value to give the domain." Clara paused to study John as she said that last sentence. Then she continued. "I can't afford to be surprised should Priscus Moretti or any of our clan approach me with a fresh grievance. I would look foolish and you might no longer have a Whip advocating on your behalf. I need to know each and every offense against you. Including the private ones. Especially the private ones." Clara made it clear she wanted to hear it all. To confirm rumors and see if there was something she didn't know already.

14. Likes JonReeves, liked this post
    J
    John Davis

Davis listened to Clara's continued lecture. Processing each word, analyzing them for hidden meanings, looking for any sign of betrayal or of attack. The last private pow-wow with a Daeva ending up costing him his tongue and a few teeth. He would not underestimate the one before him.

"I appreciate your support. It does come with rewards." Davis reaches inside his suit coat and pulls out a tiny ledger. Flipping through the pages he begins. "Let us see, in the spirit of full disclosure of the things "I" am aware of. I lack the gift of mind reading to tell you what may or may not be found as offensive by Kindred of the domain, but here is my accounting."

"Madame Reeve is owed a minor boon for I assume calling her by her first name which was located in the sir name location but I later recalled Madame Toy being likely offended. Ha, Chinese naming conventions are strange."

"Here is a transaction with our Priscus regarding a minor matter she found insulting. Personally, I was just jesting with her in the spirit of friendship, but alas, she did not see it thusly and demanded me buy her something in exchange. Which I immediately reciprocated. I had hurt her feelings and a peace offering was required. That debt has been paid and cleared from this ledger."

"Then there is this entry to the Prince who has demanded a major boon for the minor slip of the tongue I made that one time at court. I personally think she overreacted but as Prince, she is in her right for such divatic gestures."

"We have here an insignificant notation, not even a transaction worthy of such, regarding a contract I entered into with Priscus Van Valen. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am pursuing a similar contract with Priscus Mable and Weiss. I find that if I can secure relations with the Prisci Council, I have greater freedom within a domain."

Davis sighs dramatically on the next entry in his ledger. "Full disclosure, there is the matter with the Judex who delivered the message of the Prince's demands. Once more, a misinterpretation of words turns into an assault on the Colonel. Due to a tongue wagging incident, the First Estate is demanding I procure a mentor until they feel satisfied with my performance. Pretty much doing the job that you presently find yourself attempting to perform." Davis refused to use certain words and Clara may be astute enough to pick up on it, or not.

"I was not given a timeline for the procurement, but I take sooner would be more profitable than later. With few "ideal" candidates for such a position, I'm tempted to seek assistance outside of the domain."

Closing the ledger Davis looks up at Clara. "Oh, then of course due to a complete unreasonable reaction at the last court over the condition in which a knight protector of the domain appeared after diligently making effort to secure Elysium, I and the Doctor are on janitorial duties. I guess the Keeper's ghouls could use the vacation. Actually, a smart move as it saves on labor costs and cleaning services. But I'm sure the Doc will come a-knockin for prestation too."

"As I said, I don't know who else may be licking their lips to take a bite into the Alder Davis." Davis accentuated the last bit by gesturing his hands up and down his body.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread