Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
31 - 40
DISPLAYED
(Wyrdstone) Dungeon Crawl

Apr 12, 2020 : Wyrd Bindings
May 2, 2020 : Informing the Monarchy
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 4 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
    N
    Nana

Nana makes a sharp sound with her tongue against her teeth, the way she would against any unruly beast. “Tsk! We aren’t here to discuss my thoughts about you. I was trying to offer a compliment to your ingenuity, however I might feel about your taste in design, but I won’t be making the mistake twice."

Her glare lasted on him, trying to discern if what he said was true. She’d never been the best at that sort of scrutiny and she wasn’t exactly in a level-headed mood. She gave a final huff and looked off into the distance. "We’ll look for your wayward spawn despite all that.” She was more than ready to let Tiphon finish handling the hob as he was clearly better equipped and on better terms than she was at this point.

Who would ever lie? Failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-03 22:43:06 Nana rolls 2 to Hob lies? (Wits 3 - 2 untrained Emp. + 1 Adroit) (10 Again) 2, 5 failure

T
    Tiphon

So he had lost his boy. What sadness; what woe. For Tiphon, such things were sources of anger. Ignoring Nana's spite and anger, the Summer Courtier gave a slow nod of understanding. No wonder the little hob was so sensitive, so angry. He had good reason to be. Red eyes peered down at the Hob, and he nodded. "I will try, my friend. Where are the Mines, and what perils lie in the journey?"

He glanced to Blink , then to Nana. Were they prepared to look with him?

After all, what else were they here to do? The mines surely had more of this interesting rock...

B
    Blink

Blink had been silent, but hadn't forgotten an earlier dilemma.

"It is probably dark, mind if we borrow some of these bugs for light?" She asked the water rat.

Heedless of the answer, she gave a nod to Tiphon. "Yup, ready."

With that her eyes quickly darted between her two companions, the water rat, and the bugs. They would be nice, she thought looking between the colors.

0 Scenes

Nana still gets the stink eye from the beaverish hob. "Now I understand why wefolk don't like you bigjobyjobs. Ya rude. Crude. I dunna know if I want ya" he shoves a finger in Nana's direction, "Lookin' fur ma boy."

He snorts, whiskers twitching "Aye, There's tha miners. Well, most o' dem ain't right and proper miners, but they got ta pickaxe and a bigjob yellin' at them ta dig. So they do. But there's a pack of 'em, Mine's big, big enough fur youfolk. There's more den three, three plus her. Dunna if her's gonna be there. She yells, and yells. Wantin' the glow stone. It's deep in da Mines, we only get the shavins, no one can get the big thing out o' da Mine, is stuck. But her - her'll sill yell for 'em to dig. But she don't go to hobs, no trades, no deals, no pledges. She wants what's ever in there. Bad. And just fur her." the beaverish hob nods before turning back to his burrow, "I got a map, here. Wanted help, didn't want them to get lost on tha way!" he calls from the hole.

It takes him a moment of return, a roll of bark in hand, "'ere, map. Made it meself. Mine's here see." using his weird human hands, to point and show the paths, "This 'ere this'll shave hours off ya journey."

Ears flicking towards Blink, "Oh? Lights? What'da'ya wanna give me fur 'em?" he shifts, flat tails tapping the ground, "Seems like ya do enough glowin' fur yerself, eh glowyjob?"

T
    Tiphon

Burning eyes blink as his hand swept up and accepted the roll of bark, opening the map up and considering it thoughtfully as he tried to figure out the map. "Thank you, this is very helpful..." he murmured, studying it. It was hard to read it initially, but he assessed further with his knowledge of the Hedge to determine if the little hob was right...

success after a retry!
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-05 17:08:56 Tiphon rolls 7 to Int + Survival + Specialty + 2 Equipment - 1 Retry to Know Da Best Wae (10 Again) 1, 3, 3, 4, 9, 7, 6 1 success
    2018-09-05 17:08:30 Tiphon rolls 8 to Int + Survival + Specialty + 2 Equipment to Know Da Best Wae (10 Again) 2, 5, 3, 5, 7, 5, 3, 1 failure

N
    Nana

Nana wasn't married to the idea of searching for the younger ratbeaverhob herself, but she was trying to not end up just screeching at a Wyrd beast her entire time in this excursion. Instead her attention was drawn in by the strange map that was presented. She huddled up beside Tiphon to peer around his arm and add her own eyes to the scrutiny of it, not that it looked like anything other than scrawl to her, while Blink possibly haggled for light. While that wasn't something she thought was a bad idea, she didn't have much else she was willing to trade away herself.

No help with map, womp
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-05 19:48:20 Nana rolls 7 to Look, a map! (Int 3 + Surv 2 + Equip 2) (10 Again) 2, 4, 3, 7, 4, 3, 1 failure

B
    Blink

Blink shook her head, looking at the water rat. "Have nothing to trade, to borrow some bugs, to find your lil one." She gave a shrug of her shoulders. Her eyes moved to the strange scribbling drawing that was being passed as a map. She wouldn't be of any use for that endeavor. Blink turned her attention back to her two companions, she was going to say something...but figured it best to let them work in peace...and then forgot what she was going to say anyways...

T
    Tiphon

Almost as an afterthought as Blink missed the mark, Tiphon muttered to the hob, "If I go and look in the mine, will you trade me your bugs for that service?"

A glance to the self-styled Knight. She would learn how to interact with the hobs. It wasn't personal. This was just how their kind operated.

0 Scenes

The Wanderer sees the short cut, pointed out by an arrow mark, a side path, less travelled, but quicker then what the map says the longer well travelled path would be like. Though there is another path noted with a circle, then crossed out with an 'x'. It might offer a quicker time still.

It seems that the map's accurate from what he's already heard for these parts. Surprising knowing Hobs, but even Hobs have family, and that desire to reunite must be stronger then their need to spite and scheme....in most part.

"Ya glowyjob. Ain't bright, eh?" turning to Tiphon, knowing him as the leader. "Ya, wantin' them fur the Mine's, not just 'cause it's gonna be dark. That's another story. I got a knockin' rock, an' a freshkeeper, an' she says she ain't got nothin' to trade." looking up at Tiphon's glowing eyes, "Ya need mucsle."

The beaverish hob's mouth moves, "Girly, ya have somethin' ta trade. Everyone what comes in here does. Ya want my glowbugs? The red ones what blink? I got a knockin' rock from him, a freshkeeper from her, but you, you I'll take glamour from."

If you want to try and cut a deal/advance negotiation Manipulation + Persuasion-1 Please, if not, Blink will owe Beaverish Hob a currently unspecified number of Glamour points in exchange for the Red Glowbugs
    If you want to attempt to craft a pledge to expedite things, feel free to do so!
      1 success to persuade
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-05 21:23:39 Beaverish Hob rolls 8 to trade? (10 Again) 9, 3, 3, 3, 1, 2, 5, 4 1 success

0 Scenes

Posts from the 2018 Rollback!

Blink gave her ownself, a up and down - once-over. "Ya...No..."

She said with a shake of her head. With what they were about to head in to, she very much needed every ounce she had. Granted, mood-lighting for the mine seemed like a nice idea, but so was not getting put in the dead-book. Blink knew that if fighting broke out, she needed what she had. She gave a helpless shrug, with blades in hand.
    Nana looked up from the map, indecipherable as it was to her, when the hob let slip the idea that they might want the glowbugs for more than just illumination. "Are they truly that important for these mines?" She wasn't sure that she could trust the hob at all, but she had a curiosity about the insects aside from all of this. Having time to further study them and see them in action was worth the added risk to her. Her own deficit of Glamour was certainly less detriment than the others as well when her greatest skills were more corporeal than that.

"We may not care for one another, but your son needn't suffer from that and if we are to be neighbors I am willing to show you my -- coarse opinions need not define our dealings. To prove --" her eyes focused down on the hob. She met its beady eyes and laid out the deal with severity turned to sincerity. "I vow to return your son in as good, or better, a condition as he is found in exchange for the use of these insects for this task. Failure will find me cursed for a week's time, to match my remorse, but a trick on your part will find the same pain doubled to match our risk. Let us seal this with purpose, if you would hold true to your worries and caution, and a drop of Glamour is yours." She outstretched her own warped hand to the hob.

Vow of Safety's Return

Task
    Nana Medial Endeavor -2 / Beaverish Hob Lesser Endeavor -1
    Boon
    Nana Medial Blessing (Glowbugs as danger sense?) +2 / Beaverish Hob Medial Glamour (1 dot) +2
    Sanction
    Nana Lesser Curse -1 / Beaverish Hob Medial Curse -2
    Duration
    Lesser (Week) +1
    Tiphon tried to pitch a concept, but between his mind and the Storm, the words twisted, fell flat, were as grains swept away by the desert wind. Gesturing to Blink, he said, "She's one of those who would try to find your boy --"

No.

That wasn't going to work, and the Wanderer stared down at the ground, shut up, frustrated. He knew hobs. Why was he appealing to their fucking morality? What was he even... was he a man, or was he just the background his Keeper had brutally torn him into?

In the midst of beating himself up, he barely noticed Nana's slick negotiation moves.

fail to negotiate
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-05 21:44:17 Typhon rolls 5 to Manipulation + Persuasion - 1 to bargain! (10 Again) 4, 7, 2, 4, 7 failure

"Ya already agreed ta look fur my boy without ma bugs. It ain't was pledged, but ya craven enough to go back on words said?" the beaverish hob shakes his head, gripping his pitchfork. "This is why wefolk ain't keen on trust with ya bigjobs." he moves away from them, "I'll find someone else ta help me with my boy. Go ta the Mines, find your rock. Or, don't. It don't matter much to me any more." the little hob looks to them, nose twitching, and whiskers wobbling and begins to walk away.
    "Well shall we?" She mostly ignored the water rat. It was beginning to piss her off and she would rather just continue on. "If ya figured out what way to go, we can just head off."

Blink really didn't understand why the others were harping on the bugs. She had just mentioned it as a passing novelty, in the same way she mentioned the lights before entering the Hedge. If they weren't important enough to run to the store for then, they were not important enough to barter and bargain for now.
    Nana curled her hand back and would let the Wyrd hear her, even if the hob wouldn’t. “Bite that slanderous tongue! Indeed, I agreed to look for your boy. The vow was to retrieve him.” She may be sharp. She may be spiteful. She may even be cruel, but she was not duplicitous. This promise then is also free. I will look and should I find him, I will tell him – or whatever scraps are left – of how you abandoned him. Of how we made fair offer and you, his own father, left him to rot.” No, she was cruel. Local custom it seemed. Whether she offered the innocent son of a hob aid anyway was something she’d deal with if the time came for it.

She looked back to her companions after essentially cursing out a pigeon that had pooped on her car. Perfectly normal behavior. “Yes, let's." She gave a nod to Blink before looking to Typhon. "Were you able to understand the map? I certainly couldn't. We at least know that there are others exploring the mine. Perhaps we can benefit from their illumination, should they have it. I don’t necessarily want to get into a fight if we can help it though. If that one managed to get away with shards, I believe we can do the same.”
    The fighting, the arguing, it was all silly, it was all pointless. Burning orbs squinted, narrowed - there was no way in hell he was going into the darkness without defences, without light --

"TWO."

Two fingers came up.

"You will not insult my word, for regardless of my... baleful friend, I have treated with you fairly, have I not? You shall have two Glamour. I shall have your bugs. We shall remember one another as fair dealers - and you shall not be sending ones who have said they will look for your child into the darkness without the means to actually look. Do we have an accord?"
    The beaverish hob stops, turns, to the sandstorm. Looks him up and down.

"Agreed!" he bellows, out. "Two Glamour from ya, fur my red bugs." he nods, hobbling back to the group. Hands making gestures, "Ya, go with 'em, light their way." he nods.

"The glowbugs." he brings his hand up, for the glamour promised.

A beat, "And ya name? So I can tell tales o' yur fair dealings?"
    Nana was a little surprised to see Tiphon bounce back so quickly after seeming to get lost in his own thoughts before. The take charge nature of an unchained Elemental did always bring a smile to her lips. She waited with Blink as the deal was finished.
    Tiphon brought his hand up as well, focusing his burning eyes on it, putting his hand close to his lips. He breathed deeply and blew, his glamour swirling forth like a warm whirlwind that wrapped itself about the hob, an essence to be bathed in, breathed in, and taken.

"I am Tiphon. And you?"

As the glowbugs fell in about him, the steady sandstorm of Summer glanced down the path.

"I know the way. We shall not seek the greater shortcut, for that is undoubtedly perilous, as our friend's X indicates. We shall spend the time and exercise caution."

Good to proceed. -2 Glamour for the transfer.
    Blink gave an approving nod. She didn't mind the Hedge, but didn't have much experience with these things. Her durance was much more simpiler and brutal. Still, it beat them heading back out of the hedge, going to walmart, getting tiki-torches or some shit...and then coming all the way back. That was an iffy prospect, considering none of them probably had a car.

Blink moved over to Tiphon, ready to follow his lead. Danger and excitment await!
    Nana gives a nod as Tiphon handles the exchange. She was certainly ready to be making progress again and would join Tiphon's lead since he'd seemed to understand the map well enough.
    The trio, now with red glowbugs, a map and a quest venture onward. Deeper into the Hedge. Mindful of the small path and the thick, omnipresent Thorns. Farther away from the Hedge Gate and the small burrow of the Hob - Percy - as he had called himself when Tiphon had requested his name, the path widens. Their steps beat a steady rhythm upon the dirt, Tiphon's knowledge and their new bark written map shine bright, even as the sky remains stubbornly overcast.

They make very good time, choosing the way Percy the Hob marked for them, instead of the path that had been violently 'x'ed' out.

They come to the Mine. It's quiet and still.

Perception please!
    Leading the way to the mine, Typhon was ever vigilant...

2 sux
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-24 15:49:52 Kaze (practice roll) rolls 7 to Improvised casting Call Lightening (Gnosis 1, Arcana 3) using magic tool (10 Again, WillPower) 2, 1, 7, 9, 7, 2, 5 1 success
    Blink stayed silent; looking, listening, and trying to determine what dangers await. She still held blades in hand, ready to lash out against whatever may await.

Perception 2 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-25 11:47:05 Cricket rolls 1 to Paradox (2 base + 1 3rd Vulgar - 1 3 dot -1 MT) (10 Again) 3 failure
    Nana follows the pair, keeping to the back of the group as they looked about.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-25 11:59:41 Cricket rolls 6 to Work w/ Strand (Manip. 2 + Pers. 3 + SL 1) (10 Again) 5, 9, 4, 10, 7, 4, 3 2 successes
    Large and gaping, a maw of menacing fangs, jutting up from the ground, and down from the roof of the cave, the Mine. Black like obsidian, but stealing what little light the dull grey clouds allow passed their blockade.

Deep in the back of the maw, like a gout of flame attempting to ignite are lights. Flickering between life and death against the stone.

They all see them. Footprints on the dirt leading towards, away and beyond the teeth.

Human sized. Or larger.
    Tiphon glanced down at the footprints, taking a knee to inspect them with a gentle touch of his fingers to check depth. What manner of creatures might have made these larger prints?

Following that, up he looked at the cave, the Mine. Such a distinctive, gaping maw. Thinking about it, he tried to recall if he had heard any Hedge legends about this place and its dangers in his travels...

1 sux to identify footprints, 1 sux to know any legends or rumours about this distinctive mine!
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-09-26 01:22:07 Nana rolls 4 to Spelunking (Wits 3 + Invest 2 - 1) (10 Again) 7, 2, 7, 9 1 success
    2018-09-25 20:09:50 Blackbird rolls 9 to make Davis look Alive! Dex2+Sub3+Equip1+WP (10 Again, WillPower) 4, 10, 9, 4, 4, 8, 5, 6, 10, 9, 8 6 successes

Page 4 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last
Closed Thread