Ended
Watch

A Question of Intent

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    L
    Lina Moretti

Priscus Moretti at the head of the same table in Elysium where, nights before, she had been named Priscus of Clan Daeva. Clad in a summerweight pantsuit in navy blue, the investigator was sitting back in her chair at a couple minutes before midnight. There was only a slight bobbing of the flat-clad foot that rocked her chair back and forth, back and forth. Lost in thought, she sat, pondering family matters.

Tonight, she had a question for her Clanmate.

The answer to that question was of significant interest to her. Understanding a would-be friend better was always important to her.

And so it was that she waited in that room, cellular telephone on the table, for Clara Verne's arrival, as the clock tick-tick-ticked closer to midnight.

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

H: 5'8"
    Misc: speaks with a light French accent

+1
    SL
    PRE

At two minutes 'till midnight Clara entered wearing a pale red sundress and yellow slip-on sneakers. The meeting room was much more sparse. More Spartan. More Lina.

Clara's eyes found the Priscus of Clan Daeva waiting her arrival. The Bacchante curtsied and dipped her head in Lina's direction, "Priscus Moretti. Apologies for keeping you waiting." The Dragon had only just arrived and climbed to Priscus of the clan. Clara had to respect the capability even if she never suspected Lina had the ambition.

It was an interesting new dynamic, especially here in Elysium: simultaneously a haven and the most dangerous place to err. "Are we having anyone else? Shall I wait or take my seat?" Clara had the sneaking suspicion Lina might use her position to leverage her into the Ordo Dracul. It's a smart move on paper, but she didn't think that was necessarily Lina's style.

L
    Lina Moretti

"You're timely. Thanks." Moretti gestured to the door. "Please, get the door and join me. It's just you and I. I had a question for you, and I think your answer will be very helpful to me in figuring a couple of things out."

She leaned forward to sit upright and rested her arms on the table. When the door was shut, she continued to speak.

"So. I'm trying to decide who should be Whip. And as I think about that question, I think, what do I know of people? And what have I heard about people?"

She smiled at Clara. It was a welcoming thing, nothing severe or mocking.

"I hear whispers about your capability. I hear good things. Hell, I even think good things. But you can imagine my surprise when I hear about John Davis."

Lina drummed the fingers of her right hand on the table in a quick one-two-three-four.

"There's a voice out there, singing his praises like he's the be-all and end-all of Clan Daeva's not-so-Elders. And that voice is compelling."

The left hand points at Clara.

"It's your voice, Clara Verne. So. What has John Davis done - or paid - to deserve such praise from you? Tell me why he shouldn't be in the rank and file and on my shitlist."

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara shut the door as she was asked. She took measured steps as Lina explained her situation in deciding Whip. Alluding to Clara's own capabilities. So the carrot comes before the favor, she thought as she listened.

Then Lina pointed out John. And Clara's own repeated endorsements of him. Ah. That. She settled into her chair as Lina asked her pointed questions and then left room for Clara to speak. She waited a moment before saying, "Cousin Clara talked me out of a dark pit. She is alright in my book. I'd wrestle an albino crocodile to protect her from final death. John said that. To me--not for boasting or accolades or his usual obnoxious bragging but to me."

She paused and closed her eyes remembering the latest words he said, "A true supporter of family, regardless of their condition. John said that just recently." She leaned forward in her chair and rested her hands on the edge of the table. "The words may not mean anything to the Domain or anyone else, but they're sincere. You ask what John did to deserve my praise. He trusts me. Far as I'm concerned, keeping him from getting ripped apart by the Court is the least I can do."

The doll-like stillness of Clara's face contrasted with her eyes; alive and feeling and locked with Lina's. "And building him back up is more of a challenge than dog-piling on a cousin when he's down. He'll benefit the Clan in the end, Priscus Moretti. He'll take on risks you don't have to and has proven his mettle against the Hunter threat. The only question is how you want to apply him, if you'd choose to do so."

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina listened carefully, face neutral. When Clara is done, Moretti nods.

"All right. You're picking a cousin up when they're down, in spite of everything he has done to put himself there. Playing nice. Sure. I can understand that, even if I don't agree with your assessment when the fella decided that his best bet was to insult me in front of the Family the same way he insulted the Prince in front of the entire Court."

She blinked once before continuing. Otherwise, she was a bastion of stillness.

"So. Why do his actions warrant that we should Recognize him in our Clan? What makes him more special than, say, you?"

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara gave an acquiescent nod to Lina's statement. Insulting your new Priscus wasn't the smartest way to go about your nights.

Then Lina pointed out Clara's own status in the Clan. It didn't not sting that she wasn't at least Recognized by her cousins. "I can't control yours or my cousin's assessment of me, Priscus Moretti. I simply weigh each cousin's worth as I see them and work to show my own when called on. Now Davis' Recognition. I can think of one moment in particular that illustrates his worth: When we first encountered the vaguest notion of the Hunter threat Davis had a hole shot clean through him. Most other whelps would have cowered and ran. Davis stayed true and delivered a shot in kind and put down the threat."

"I see a certain resolve and possibility in him worthy of Recognition, Priscus Moretti. I am not discounting his faults or his numerous stumbles, as you well know, but those deficiencies don't discount what value he has to the Clan."

Even as she spoke, Clara began to suspect a trap from Lina. Get her to praise Davis and then Lina might announce him as her Whip. But to back down from her word would be worse. Words and Boons were the currency of the Damned, after all.

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina drummed her fingers once more. One. Two. Three. Four. This time, more intensely.

"Bullets are as punches to our kind, and any thug can kill, Clara,"
    she said quietly, a certain coldness in her tone that suggested she knew about it on a personal level. "Tell me of that fight. Why did it happen? How did a grip of vampires end up fighting Hunters on a city street?"

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I'm not doing the damage justice--it tore clean through." Clara said, but couldn't quite express how painful it must have been.

Express failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-08-20 19:11:55 Clara E. Verne rolls 4 to explaining how severe the damage was (Pre + SL + Exp) (10 Again) 4, 4, 5, 5 failure

She then listened to Lina's question and leaned back in her chair. Her memory of the night had her eyes darken slightly. "One of the hunters, the one that Davis had been talking to, lashed out first. Shot him like I was just explaining. It was the first shot taken of the night, actually. I never got the chance to ask why he attacked, but we all had to act to protect the First."

L
    Lina Moretti

"One wonders why someone would just randomly shoot poor John in the middle of a street," Lina said flatly, considering her explanation further. It was plain to see Moretti figured that Davis had done something to provoke it. "But that's something I can ask one of the others who was present, since you did not see."

The Priscus's hand came up to the bridge of her nose and squeezed, like she was rubbing out a tenacious sinus headache. Her eyes closed, and she took a long breath against the Beast of the being before her.

"So. In your view, every mistake he has ever made in the Domain, every insult he has given, every damn fool thing he has done, is outweighed and worthy of Recognition because he managed to get himself shot by a Hunter."

A sigh.

"Do you feel his ability to double as a pincushion outweighs your merit?"

Striking Looks
    (Enticing Vixen)
    Presence
    (Vivacious)
    Clara E. Verne

+1
    SL
    PRE

Clara sighed as Lina pinched her nose. Well there goes any chance of me getting ahead. Still, the Priscus was asking her to explain her point.

"It's not getting shot that I praise as worthy of Recognition, Priscus Moretti. It's resisting frenzy, enduring his rightful condemnation from Court, and staying in Sacramento when it'd be easier to run away. I apologize for not illustrating that clearly."

"And in my view his fool slights are the thing to focus on. But that doesn't mean that his merit and potential should be ignored. There's value in him, and yes, worthy of Recognition as you Recognized me in the Domain. You and I are still becoming familiar but you spoke out on my behalf in the Domain. You can't tell me you believe potential is worthless, Priscus Moretti."

She then thought on merits. Her own and John's. "It's on me to display my own merit, Priscus Moretti. I don't measure his against mine and dole out praise accordingly." Her uncannily still gaze glanced towards Lina. "I don't think his outweighs mine, though. I suspect you don't agree with my assessment of him, but do you disagree with my judgement on Recognizing him, regardless of my own status in the Clan or the Domain?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.