Ended
Watch

Cemetery Caretaking (Social)

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 5 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last
    R
    Rebecca Simmons

"I'm curious about the name as well. Weeping willows I can understand, since they always looked like they were crying. But these don't exactly give that impression. Then again, I don't know if I'm expert on the perceived emotions of trees."

She listened as Mable explained where the trees came from. "I always find it interesting to hear about transplanted animals or plants. In the modern world they appear as normal as anything else, only to find out in some long past version of our world they never existed here. Like horses. We always imagine the United States having horses, only to find out they were transplanted here as well. I find it so fascinating." Even Kine specialized in turning the unnatural into the natural.

Not sure if he was dead at all? Rebecca found humor on wondering if people in the past were Kindred or not. Could be a fun game: Kindred or disappeared Kine.

Rebecca then listened to Davis tell them about what caused him to leave Sacramento. Despite his best attempts, she couldn't erase the possibility of his own impropriety out of her mind, especially with how he acted in Sacramento. A 'great fire' though certainly sounded like reasonable cause for escape so she didn't ponder on it for long. "The 1850s were certainly a more dangerous time when it came to fire. Wooden buildings and kerosene lamps; volatile combination. Interesting to think about how far Kine society and technology have come."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

'Well let's leave the grave digging for another night, shall we?' Are they really that curious about tunnels? Who knows what they could unearth here. There's no fun in summoning an angry ghost for no reason. Aaron simply wishes to know if this place holds any other energies, with no intention to be disrespectful.

Instead, he turns to his cousin. 'I thought the same, which is why I wondered about it. Though I suppose it might have to do with some old folklore somewhere. I mean, there are plenty of myths about creatures that live with trees, they certainly have emotions.' He smiles as he thinks about some of the funnier stories.

When the talk of history continues, Aaron casually shrugs, who would tell what caused it? Like with any great fire, there are probably a dozen stories. 'It sounds like you had quite a network back then, Mr Davis. Such a pity to have all of it destroyed.' Then to Rebecca, 'But we have indeed come further, we certainly cause less of them now. Though there's still no escaping a real fire.'

And vampires especially should be afraid of it. Well, they are. It is their unnatural nature. The Lord always gets various mixed feelings when thinking about fires. In a dry tone, he reveals the reason why. 'Fun fact: it was the Great Chicago Fire that caused my mentor to run into me, seeking refuge.'

Warden of the Sacred Grove
    Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

"How is the search for the umm...anti-club members going? I was involved for a bit but have been involved with some other border issues recently." Mable figured border could mean gardening crap so no real breach could happen. "Has anyone thought to make them come to us? Like advertise discretely?"

"Okay, you folks ready to move onto the perennial garden? Or do you to check out some of the graves here?"

J
    John Davis

Davis's mind was honestly wondering with the thoughts of who may or may not be buried in the pioneer section. His time in Sacramento of the past was brief. As Kindred age, their grip on history sometimes fades. Then Mabel mentions the hunt for hunters.

"Yes, well, the search is..... how do you say ongoing. Seems they have gone or at one time where underground. I do say it concerns me that they are more familiar with the underground than some of us are. Especially considering our regular attendance at our underground club. If the incident at the junkyard is any indication of what anti-club members can do, I would err more on the side of caution when in attendance."

Davis was concerned that without a Master of Elysium and an everpresent Reeve and Deputies to secure Elysium, it was not a safe place to gather and definitely not one to attend unarmed.

Speaking of arming oneself. "With such individuals hunting freely without license, it makes one wonder about the manner of protection we are allowed to have at our get-togethers."

"We may very well be better off drawing them out to us, than having them surprise us with our pants down. If that was to happen we most definitely would not have time to walk and smell the flowers. Perhaps we should enjoy that pleasure while we can. Lead away, darling Mable." Davis could not help the Southern pattern of his speech. Mable was no more dear to him than Simmons. However, Mable did seem to possess more grace and feminine fragility than the Doctor. Davis knew this was never the case with Kindred and especially with Grangrel. He had been hunted by one and currently returning the favor.

R
    Rebecca Simmons

Rebecca offered a slight chuckle at Aaron's comment of saving grave digging for another night. That would certainly be a night without Rebecca. She had no interests in random grave digging.

"Live with or live within?" she asked Aaron. "I must be honest, I am quite behind on knowledge of both real and mythical creatures." His expertise could certainly be her advantage. It was far smarter for her to team up with people who could help her overcome her weaknesses rather than merely compliment her strengths.

"That is true. There's no escaping the endless need for fire. Even in my work I must deal with fire. I of course take a great deal of precautions, but so many chemicals reaction through combustion that I could never do away with it completely." Of course she found a great fascination with fire anyway so it worked out for her.

Then the conversation shifted towards Hunters. It made Rebecca uneasy. She had no idea who could be listening, even with their coded language. "Mr. Davis and I had looked into an area but I don't know if it gave us any specific leads. I'm hoping to get with Ms. Moretti and figure out the next step, though I did take some samples to examine."

Then Davis hints at the potential security concerns of Elysium. She too was concerned, especially with a demolition expert in the mix, but she wasn't sure of the best way to keep the location safe. Another topic for the Prince and Lina.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

Aaron is a little surprised by the sudden change of subject, but perhaps the two thought it was indeed better than talking of digging up coffins and whatnot.

Though it takes an even more surprising turn. What is John suggesting? He wants everyone to go armed to Kindred meetings? Because it is better if we are killing each other, rather than to let hunters have the honor.

'Though there are certain, almost sacred, rules at those get-togethers. They are there for a good reason. It is probably best to just not attract any attention by showing unusual behavior when going inside.' To answer Mable's question, he continues after Rebecca, 'Quite a number of us have been given tasks to work on the issue. A next step should be there soon.'

This is very much not a topic for such a public place with so many hiding spots. 'Yes, let us finally go to this perennial garden.'

'About the creatures then,'
    he turns his attention back to Rebecca as they are about to walk a bit behind Mable, 'there are of course famous mythological examples, such as dryads. In Ancient Greece they believed every tree has a spirit. I certainly believe some trees can emit mystical energies, whether they come from spirits or not... who knows. There is definitely no saying in what is "real" and what is mythical.' That is one of the main problems of studying the occult. it all depends on human definitions anyway.

'First thing that comes to mind now, tree related, is a more local legend. The Hidebehind. A vicious nocturnal critter that hides behind trees. It is said to be a big fearsome creature, even though no one has ever seen it: it travels from tree to tree too fast to see. And strangely enough, it can suck in its stomach to be slender enough to fit behind any tree.'
    He quickly checks his surroundings, a little act, 'Hopefully the graveyard vegetation is not dense enough for its taste.'

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

Mable feels like she should be pissed someone who doesn't really know her called her darling, but she is such a sucker for the term being used with the accent she lets it go. After all, it reminded her of the way Vince Gill said it in a concert once.

Mable kind of nudges Davis with her elbow and wrinkles her nose, "Rules in the club would prohibit such things. However, some of us are very handy with our fists and also claw like kittens." She said the last bit in the sweetest voice.

"Have any of you been down to any of the many boxing clubs around town? It's great exercise and fun." Mable looked back at the group. hen she looked around them.

"Hmm, I will have to talk to the people who are doing the plants and mowing, this section seems to be really weedy." Mable bends down and pulls a few weeds that could have tripped the others. She know Rebecca wasn't outdoorsy and wanted to make sure the experience here was pleasant.

"I love hearing about legends, Hindbehind?" Mable laughs a very pleasant lilting laugh. "Do tell us more..."

"And Dr. Simmons, your research sounds absolutely fascinating. I would love to hear more of that also. I am so sorry, I keep asking you all to tell me more and more stories. But really, I love hearing about things others are doing and have done." Mable gives an apologetic look to the group.

"Here we are, there are the perennial gardens. Many blooms are starting to pass but there are still the late summer ones. My favorite are the early spring blooms of tulips. But the lilies are nice also. And here is one of the statues I love."

J
    John Davis

Davis's beast jumps to attention with Mable's nudge. Aaron's concerns about the traditions would be addressed.

"Yes, we have rules but what of security. The sheriff has been absent lately. She was not at our club meeting last month. Then the findings at the yard. Just color me concerned. In her absent who is stopping a repeat attack?"

Looking over at Mable. "I am most assure you are extremely capable with your hands... err fist. And kitten claws." Am I flirting, is she flirting? Davis thought. Kindred affairs were dangerous, one could literally consume the other. "But for us not so gifted, it does leave a feeling, however small, I say, of being insecure."

"Boxing you say? Bare-knuckle or some of this pansy padded glove modern mockery? It really doesn't matter which if there are friendly wagers involved. Are their friendly wagers?"

Seeing Mable stoop to pick some weeds. Davis proceeded to help. "Let me assist you there." Yes, this indeed constituted flirting. What would my sire think? Flirting with a Savage.

Then the conversation turned to mythical creatures. Davis had experienced enough voodoo nonsense in New Orleans. Then there were the superstitions of the slaves and Indians. Just as his mind was about to wander off again, Mable said the word Lilies.

"Lilies? A wonderful flower. Named my last boat the Dixie Lily for that reason." Then Mable points out a statue. "Very reminiscent of the cemeteries in New Orleans."

Presence
    (girl next door)
    Striking Looks
    (Wholesome)
    Mable Wood

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Mr. Davis, you would indeed be perfectly fine at the club because I can most certainly handle myself in unarmed circumstances as can a few other members. And both. Bare knuckle and gloved. I dare say you would not want to test me on that because I do not pull any punches. And the last fight I was in was full of friendly wagers. The smart money was on me." Mable grinned. She liked to hit. Maybe a bit too much.

When Davis bent to help her pull the weeds she was really surprised. "Thank you for the help. This must be your southern gentleman manners coming out. Perhaps you could show these same manners to the head of the club. Ya know the line, catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Oh wait. Maybe that's not the line because who wants to catch flies."

10. Likes JonReeves liked this post
    J
    John Davis

Mable's words of reassurances did not go unnoticed. "I would still rather be allowed to carry my ivory handles. Almost useless against ourselves, but effective against others."

The conversation of boxing and gambling enticed Davis, more so the image of Mable boxing. Women were so reserved and conservative minded during his time. What excited Davis emotionally and physically were independent, strong, and feisty women. Lina once held that appeal but quickly lost it with her rise to power and venomous ire toward him. Mable was still a virgin rose in Davis's mind. Untainted by the corruptable hive of harpies consisting of the everpresent Simmons, Moretti, York, and Prince. Sounds like a law firm.

"Of course I would dare not bet on any other but you." More flirting but honest none the less. "You must invite me to the next match. I'm sure we could work the crowd you and I. I say a sizable profit could be made. Think of the gardens and trees we could take care of with those funds." And like that Davis had switched gears from romantic interest to greedy profiteering.

Had he been alive he might have blushed at Mable's mention of Southern manners. "Guilty as charged. Southern charm, honor, and sophistication are just habits and manners engrained upon me during my youth. As well as beaten into me during my service to my family patriarch." The thought of Davis's sire brings a tenseness to his neck. Returning to Mable's conversation, "I would dare not speak ill of the club's leader, lest I find my membership revoked. But manners are surely a matter of importance. Sometimes they are present even when unapparent. A condition that is a curse of my family and one I may be forced to face sooner rather than later. That is unless I can find a cure."

It was something Davis rarely spoke of, something he tended to keep close. Yet Mable managed to bring him a small amount of ease, enough to lower his guard, even in front of the Lords. He had known the curse of his bloodline and knew that sooner or later he would have to deal with it. Perhaps that explained some of his actions. The subtle slips in decorum, the daring risks of skirting the edge of the Court's patients, all in an effort to make sure his beast had not succumbed to his sire's weakness. Was he checking to make sure he was still Daeva and not something more?

Page 5 of 7 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last
Closed Thread