Ended
Watch

(1807) A Friendly Card Game

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    R
    Rebecca Simmons

What a coincidence. Maybe Rebecca and Lina were after the same thing. Rebecca sat down as well, making the game three players and one dealer.

Looking to Taft she said with a smile. "I don't know how much of an advantage that would be. The game is quite simple, once you understand it, and can more than handle several players." She looked to Davis, her mask friendly, and added, "if I may assist."

She looked between Taft and Lina and continued. "I find that it can be compared to roulette. Imagine that the board," she said, gesturing to the card layout, "is the betting numbers on the roulette table. Before the dealer draws you bet on the cards in the layout, from Ace all the way to King. You can place as many bets on as many cards as you'd like. The goal is that you hope whichever number or face card you bet on ends up being drawn as the 'winning' card. The 'losing' card just ends up taking your money, if you bet on that card. So, if I were to bet that the 'winning' card will be a Five, and Alder Davis then draws a Five as the 'winning' card, of any suit, I'd win. If neither card is a Five, then I neither win, nor lose that turn. I can leave my bet there and 'let it ride', or I can change my bet, based on the new knowledge that two more cards are no longer in the deck. It's simply a game of betting on what will be drawn as 'winning', while hoping you never accidentally bet on a 'losing' card and...well...losing."

She then looked back to Davis. "Why thank you. And I agree, it would seem we have more in common than I thought. My days have been quite pleasant, though I have been endlessly busy with work. How about yourself?"

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina's eyes were locked on the Priscus of Mekhet's. "I understand that. Wouldn't be much of a Dragon if I didn't." It was only when Davis commented on things made to her specifications that she broke eye contact with the intense Shadow to glance over at the Knight. "Black, great Kevlar threading, comfortable and concealable. And in women's design, too. You did good, Mr. Davis. Keeping me safe at work from gun-toting thugs."

A half-smile crossed her face. As the Doc explained the game, Moretti listened carefully, not because she was going to play, but because her candidate for Harpy was talking. "You like the game, Doctor? Played it before?"

J
    John Davis

Enjoying the banter among those he had attracted. Davis continues to deal cards.

Answering Simmons question, "Work? I do hope it has not been too much of a strain on you. Myself, I have been content playing cards, gaining the employ of a tailor or two." Davis picks a piece of lint off his sleeve as he says it. "Aside from a brief trip out of town and an argument with city contractors over local ordinances, my evenings have been most peaceful."

He deals another turn of Faro.

Looking at Lina, "It pleases me immensely that my gift meets your approval. As for the garment I used to conceal it, keep it. An extension of my charity toward family. Sorry, it is sadly out of fashion these days. I assure you, it would have made you the belle of the ball in my time. Regardless, perhaps you will find some occasion to wear it. I hear they celebrate Gold Rush Days in certain pockets of Sacramento."

When would the shoe drop? Davis knew from experience that the Doc and Lina were a dangerous duo. What are these two up to? And what role would Taft play?

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

A single brow raises when Davis speaks on his success on the evening in question. "Were you? Who left on your arm that night?" Taft sounds genuinely curious, at odds with the curt and muted mannerisms he normally displays.

Taft nods to Simmons. "As you say. Simple." He wonders how and why people have succumbed to such things. Gambling. Throwing their money away for a small chance at a monetary gain. Everyone has their vice, he supposes. Taft left vice of his own behind - the night he stopped breathing.

Taft smiles a small smile for Lina, turning his attention to Davis as she had. So it had been a material gift to repay the Daeva's debt. Davis may have his uses. But he would need to let go of the reigns to his carriage for Taft to benefit from them.

Davis's question is a fair one. Taft thinks for a moment before answering. "Perhaps if I were more comfortable with the game, a friendly wager would be interesting. Boons of some kind, maybe?" The weighty word is spoken absolutely casually. Despite this, Taft's eyes study the other man for his reaction.
    Health | Willpower | Vitae

J
    John Davis

"Why Lawrence, would you have me sully the air by bragging about my exploits in front of the ladies? It would be against my honor as a gentleman. Besides, I'm not one to kiss and tell" Davis gestured an apologetic hand to Lina and the Doctor.

"Now on the matter of wagers and gamblery pursuits, now that my friend, I am more than willing to indulge you. Say we start our ante as a trivial matter. The winner gains a minor return. Loser owes the house, me, the original wager. Anything larger and I do believe this would cease to be a friendly game. Ha ha." Davis concluded with a jovial chuckle.

"What do you say, ladies? Are you in or care to watch?"

L
    Lina Moretti

"You know my opinion about gambling prestation," Lina said disapprovingly, glancing to Simmons. "I think I've made that plenty clear. Boons aren't chips in a game, Sir Davis. The system matters more than that."

Sir Davis. Like she was fucking serious.

"Priscus Taft, when you've got some time, I'm interested in a private word. I've heard you were interested in the Order, so I figured I'd prioritize you. I won't interrupt your... game, though."

K
    Krieg

The long shadow of the Acolyte came upon the card game. Krieg bowed in greeting to the table and to examine the card game.

"What manner of Black Jack is this?" he asked quite simply.

R
    Rebecca Simmons

Rebecca's mask concealed many things from those around her. Her worries. Her joys. Her anger. All was wrapped tightly behind a nearly impenetrable friendly exterior. Her eyes shifted to Lina as she responded to Davis' inquire of his boon payment. It seemed he could repay his errors in judgment. As Lina asked her question Rebecca smiled. "I wouldn't say it's my favorite game, but I have played it a few times. I find it's a good game for one who can quickly keep track of cards and odds." She did not have a perfect memory, but she could handle numbers better than many. And records better than most.

Shifting her eyes back to Davis she replied, "no strain at all, thank you." She shifted her response along with Davis. "Hmm. I'm currently looking for a good tailor myself if you wouldn't mind sharing." She may have found things about him disagreeable, but his style wasn't one of them. And she did not miss his mention of leaving town.

As he responded to Lina Rebecca merely listened. Lina didn't exactly seem like the 'girly-girl' type, so she had no idea why the man would think it was good to give her what sounded like a debutante dress.

Clearly Taft and Davis had shared some evening out. They didn't exactly give her the impression they ran in the same circles. "Don't be shy on our accounts Alder Davis. Curiosity is likely to get the best of us." Rebecca had no interest in whether or not the Daeva 'got laid', but the topic made Rebecca want to learn more about these two men and what they considered 'fun'. Kinks and vices were quite...useful information.

Then Taft and Davis began to discuss the topic of gambling boons. Before she could reply, Lina had spoken up. It was like deja vu all over again. "Tsk tsk tsk. Oh Priscus Taft. Oh Alder Davis. Is Prestation so depreciated and trivialized to you that you would seek to gamble it over a game? What a pity. I will not join, but I do accept your offer to watch. I would love to find out who ends up indebted to the other. I wonder though, if boons are at stake, trivial ones don't seem appropriate. Why don't you start at minor, and work up to major. I mean, if you're going to risk something, why not make it matter." Coming out of anyone else's mouth she may have sounded sinister, but under her mask it all came out as friendly.

And then Krieg arrived. "It's actually Faro, though Blackjack is quite fun as well."

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Davis hadn't risen to the bait. Taft half expected the man to be furious. Which would have been amusing. Telling, as well. That he hadn't is also telling.

"I wasn't serious, Colonel. As I said... I need to get more comfortable with the game. Let's keep it friendly."

OOC
    JonReeves

"Of course." he answers Lina. "I am always keen to learn what makes the Covenants tick." A sidelong glance is spared for Krieg, as the giant of a man joins them. The ghost of a smile rests on his lips.

Finally returning to the playfully chiding Simmons, he adds "Don't let my little joke dissuade you, Madam Simmons. Please, join us in a friendly game. You should as well, Krieg."
    Health | Willpower | Vitae

10. Likes JonReeves liked this post
    J
    John Davis

Noticing the giant approach the table. "Mr. Krieg, please join us." Davis smiles at the mention of Blackjack. "Vingt et un, dare I say pales in comparison to the action to be had at the Faro table. But do sit and enjoy, play even if you like."

Responding to the Doc's words, "Madame Simmons, fear not in my valuation of prestation. Rest assured that my appreciation of its valuation has taken no degradation. Its valuation that makes for its righteous appropriation as currency of the right denomination for our gambleization." Davis took a moment to count the "ations" before smiling and continuing. "But as Mr. Taft here himself admitted to be merely jesting in offering its usage, then we shall continue forth with our demonstrative mirth without its complication."

Making eye contact with Lina, "As we are no longer wagering... favors, would you care to play?"

Turning to Taft, "Simple game of chance my friend. Place your bet one of three ways. Mr. Krieg, this is for you too, so do listen up. You can put money on any card one through king, thirteen that one is. You can one, bet your card will win. Two, you can bet your card will lose. Or three, you can place your bet right here above them all that the winning card is higher than the losing card. See the dealer draws two cards. One for the winning stack and one for the losing stack. The losing card can be higher than the winning card. Again as Madame Simmons explained earlier and I just now, tis a game of chance where you are trying to predict the fate of the cards."

Travisc06489 I think a contested Dexterity + Larceny vs. Wits + Academics. The reasoning for that is the dealer is shuffling the cards and possibly stacking the deck to some degree to cheat the player. The player is trying to count the cards using statistics and predict the probability of which card will either be drawn as the winner or the loser, in addition to a high card. Since unskilled Mental rolls come with a -3 penalty, it will result in "chance" rolls for some characters.

A Wits + Larceny roll should also be rolled by the player should the dealer actually attempt to stack the deck on purpose. Which should be a separate roll by the dealer. Yumyumcrow does that sound appropriate?

Similar mechanics could be used for blackjack, with a card shuffler adding an equipment bonus to the dealer in both games.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 20

You do not have permission to view the list of names.