THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

'For now, she seems to be my number one priority next Court. I'll let her know.' Aaron seems quite content with the situation. For him, speaking in 'we' is more normal than 'I'. He was not particularly hoping to get used to the latter.

Not that he's looking to form a Blood Bond with Lina. He's definitely not hoping to do any more intimate partner business with her. But a simple more friendly 'we' to have, is quite nice in even the most solitary Requiem.

The Lord shakes his head. 'Not yet. I'm quite a few generations too far removed from my old friends. But I value getting to know a few academics here and there. Furthermore, I've seen friends in local government be put to good use for the Order's work. I might attempt to establish a similar network and follow the same tactic.'

Kine make for excellent food and study objects, but they still have their worth on a conversational level.

L
    Lina Moretti

"There ya go. That's a good idea, especially given your interests in ley lines and whatnot..." She drummed her fingers on the table quietly, pulling over one of the map books and looking it over. "And it wouldn't hurt to touch the university as well, because scholars. But one thing at a time, right."

She flipped through a couple of pages, thoughtfully peering at the map.

"By the way. I got your code at the bar but didn't put it back. I study Beasts. My methods are, uh, well, they suck to go through, but they worked pretty good."

Starvation. Fire. Prodding and poking at the Devil until it could finally be leashed at will.

"I'd be curious to know what you think of them and how I could improve them, especially if I, uh, have to teach someone new, but that's definitely a very-private sort of chat."

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

Aaron's voice is usually quite flat and emotionless, almost rusty, but he tries to make up for this with his facial expressions.

PRE

For a moment, Aaron finds himself studying the way Lina studies the maps. From what he understands she is quite young, making it all the more impressive she is so dedicated.

Dedication that apparently already brought her to a state of chrysalis at least once. 'Good to know. Supplicant of Hunger. Unsworn.' A long overdue formal introduction.

He overthinks what Lina says for a moment. 'We should definitely share our thoughts on the subject matter. We both come from different Academies. It might prove fruitful to exchange the theories on our methods. But right now I can't really set my mind to continuing the Great Work. There are some things that need to be figured out.'

And where would I even do it? In my hotel? Room service is definitely going to love that.

The Lord crosses his arms. Time to get serious. 'We decided to keep a public appearance. Even in the scenario where we stay with just the two of us - one should be our spokesperson. What is your take on the roles we can fulfill?'

L
    Lina Moretti

"Cool. Supplicant of Terror, also unsworn."

She wasn't one for the formalities, but it made sense to at least get it out there. At his suggestion that he couldn't continue the Work, she leaned back in her chair, a look of curiosity on her face. She waved off the effort to move on to public roles and spokespersons and whatnot.

"That can wait a sec. What sort of things are keeping you from your Work? You okay?"

Hopefully, the trouble wasn't too bad.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

Aaron nods appreciative, maybe it is his age, but he does believe that formalities have a function. Not in an over-abused Invictus way, but it is good to remind each other of their status every now and then. Status being where one is on his path to the Great Work, not necessarily related to any social status.

As Lina's worry seems genuine, it almost warms his undead heart. 'Nothing too dramatic, really. I'm used to having a room attuned to enhance my studies.'

A pause, coming with a realization, 'Or, let's say, a Haven at all. I'm still in a state of arriving. Certainly, as soon as I have settled and completed this mundane change, I can continue more focused.' He looks at the study material around him, reading some introductions would be part of that change.

L
    Lina Moretti

Ah. He was one of those. A Geomancer. She'd met others like him in the past, attuning their homes using Dragon Mojo. "I feel that. Nothing but time will fix that... but hey. I got a couple somethings that might make you smile. An opportunity, one that might need to be acted on pretty quick."

She leaned in, with a smile.

"I was talking with a guy I know. Real connected, if you catch my drift. He said to me, Lina, some old collector guy went nuts and some of his stranger stuff is still out there, for the right price, and if you know who to ask..."

She grinned at him.

"I'd charge most people for that, but since we're new Chapter buddies..."

Wink. She leaned back, getting comfortable.

"Also that there's a suuuuper creepy mansion near Sheldon. That's interesting to me. Mission revival architecture, and my guy says go nowhere near it, because something is out there. And my boy left some of his gear there but is too scared to go back."

She chuckled. Super creepy mansions were vampire stock in trade.

"And we've got all these books and computers. So tell you what. Why don't we dig in and see what that's all about. We're in the right place to see if there's any known local history about that place, and maybe I can run down who the owner is through the public records."

Research time, while we talk?

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

Suddenly, the evening took an interesting turn. Lina had a surprise for him, how nice.

'I definitely like collecting strange stuff that makes you nuts.' It's what a Dragon Lord would be made for. Aaron laughs at the comment she adds, 'Don'y worry, it's no big deal admitting you just want me around. And I'm sure I'll find a way to return the favor.'

They both have their own strengths. Lina was just a bit earlier in showing off hers. With the mention of a creepy mention, the Geomancer in him suddenly seems to awaken. Now that is interesting.

'Perfect. You've definitely caught my attention, Lina. Least we could do is help your guy out, of course.' As if that would ever be the goal... 'I'll check the history of the Sheldon area, or more generally Elk Grove. The Mission Revival style was at its peak on the turn of the 19th to the 20th century.' He pauses to think for a second. Perhaps the entire history is not as relevant right now. 'But I guess we should start with the most recent records, and work our way back.'

One moment later, the Lord is already sucked into his research. Which notable people lived there? Have there been any major yet unexplained events? Or is there nothing to find on regular databases, that would be interesting!

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-06-15 21:01:18 Aaron van Valen rolls 6 to Research! Int 4 + Ac 2 (10 Again) 4, 5, 3, 6, 8, 1 1 success

Thought there might be a penalty with this obscure topic, but with good library equipment, it could be fine?
    Probably an extended roll as we play Yumyumcrow

8. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    L
    Lina Moretti

"Sounds good," she said. "I'll, uh, get looking at the public records, see if I can run down ownership and any notable investigations in the aread that made it into the public eye..."

Public access computers had lots of information, and though this wasn't the Sacramento Archives, it had some good potential. She began digging, chasing the paper trail as best as she could.

While they worked, Lina pondered his inquiry from earlier. "You were asking me about what we should do for roles. I think there's a fairly easy breakdown of work that could be done here. We're equal rank. You're obviously a baller occultist, and my focus is more about people and investigations. So I'm open to your thoughts - but here's what I'd do. You're a Lord. You've got a sick opportunity that I don't have in this town to become a Priscus and immediately have a say and a position of authority. Your only opposition is Rebecca Simmons, the doc."

She grinned. A charming, smart fella like Aaron should be able to get it done.

"I can handle the Covenant organization and political representation. If you're into having political say in the Domain, go seize the day and do your thing. The amount of clout and access that Prisci can get is too good to pass up. What do you think?"

Investigation fail
    Date Action Roll Result
    2018-06-15 21:51:46 Lina Moretti rolls 6 to Int + Investigation + 1 (paper trail!) (10 Again) 5, 2, 5, 6, 1, 6 failure

Presence
    (Confident)
    Status
    (Academics)
    Aaron van Valen

PRE

The Dragon is not easily distracted form his research. He's putting small scraps of paper in between pages, follow-up notes in case they lead to something.

He looks up at Lina shortly, letting her know he's listening. You're a Lord. Yes he is.

'You're telling me how to play my game?' Aaron is not offended, but also not joking. Glad she's at least open to his thoughts. 'Of course I would go for that. But that will be family business.'

I have hardly been able to talk to Dr. Simmons.

But he has to hand it to her. Lina has a nice way of lining up what she does next: claim a Covenant position. Lords can pretty easily handle all sort of leadership positions, it runs in their blood. 'Well.' But what does he really think? 'Let me consider that for a second.'

A second in this case means that he goes back to his books. The question still hangs in the air, but that is fine. He is not one to rush things. As it remains unanswered however, he is unable to focus on research. Would he like to represent the Ordo Dracul? Busy himself with its organization? For over a century, he had only followed in the footsteps of his Sire. He was the one in power, and Aaron only was a Childe that people had to look up to. Leading may run in his blood, but for a responsibility like running the Covenant he has no clear vision. Yet. And although he could work on that easily, Lina seems to have her thoughts straight.

'Ok. You'll handle public representation and organization. Until we have an actual Academy. But keep me up to date on whatever you're planning. Deal?'

L
    Lina Moretti

Lina doesn't seem rushed, either. She lets him think, poring through the records, trying to track down the ownership of that mansion with great difficulty. That was fine. Most cases took some time. The breakthrough would come. It usually did.

When he finally responded, she nodded.

"I wouldn't tell you how to do your thing. But I certainly and correctly figured you'd do it. Crush it, get your position - and of course I'll let you know what I'm up to. And consult with you, because we've gotta be a team, here. Me handling the formal politics of the Chapter opening means you can focus in on the family matter, that's all. Everyone wins."

The Ordo Dracul wasn't a democracy, but Lina wasn't in this to assert power over the Lord. Far from it - they were both better off for one another having an actual job to do. If he was saying he was having trouble focusing in on the Great Work, then having two jobs would only spread him further.

"I figure if we're rock solid and effective, and the Prince can rely on us to get shit done, then we can get us our own lil' piece and enjoy stability to focus on what really matters."

The Work.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread