(Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Taft shrugs. He's considered a great many things in his life. And after it. He'd always imagined, though, that his Sire made her intentions and machinations pretty transparent. All the better to groom him.

A thin-lipped smile follows Krieg's statement. "Flattery, is it? You'd make a good salesman, you know. But, all humor aside, I must confess that the Dragons came closest to wooing me. I served under one, for a time. Watched him rise from nothing into greatness. For all intents and purposes, he embodied all that their covenant strives for: mastery of self." He shifts in his seat, realigning his resting position even as he changes tactics. "So indulge me, if you will...an elevation of self was almost enough to swing my loyalty. But service? Seems the means to just the opposite. Humbling myself." His expression is neutral, now. Revealing little. Though the unbroken, unblinking gaze might suggest that Krieg's answer is important, indeed.
    Health | Willpower | Vitae

K
    Krieg

"That is their strongest selling point." Krieg smiled in return, "Yet, you are not a Dragon. That tells me something very, very important." The Giant's head inclined toward the Spider, "You found them wanting." The Nosferatu paused long enough for that silence to settle in. "I would not be so arrogant to say they turned you away. I give you the benefit of doubt. Consider that."

His head tilted back, relaxed. "The Greek philosophers developed formulas and sciences. When Rome fell apart, such knowledge was believed to be lost. Yet, it was re-discovered in the Renaissance. The same can be said of the teachings of the Crone. Forgotten facts will eventually resurface."

"You need not shackle yourself to the Ordo Dracul's complicated - and quite frankly, convoluted - system of titles. I will be crass, the Dragons' titles are mere dick measuring. The Goddess does not care what your title is. So long as your actions on true to her Cause. You may stumble, and that is fine. She understands, just as a loving mother should."

"Before you counter with, "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions," I have a counter to it. What if your good intentions pave the way to your own ascension? I am a member of the Second Descent. Our souls journey to the Underworld upon the Embrace. Transcendence is our tenet. To become like the Goddess. To shed this material shell."

"To become a god within a pantheon.
    "

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Silence occupies the side of the room with the Shadow. The Haunt has pretty much laid his soul bare, hasn't he? No reason to lie about all of this. It's a certain kind of poetry - an honest expression of one's agenda purpose. If nothing else, Taft finds himself entertained. The sentiment manifests on his face.

"I would offer you applause, but the gesture isn't usually received well in such a small crowd. So let me just say, friend, that you make a compelling argument. But..." he smiles, mid-pause, lending even more emphasis on the 'but'. "I did promise some sharing of my own, didn't I? That medium for truth I mentioned the other night? One that outshines paper and stone? It is blood itself. You see, written truths are limited by the words used to articulate them. The imaginations of the reader can take them a bit further, but, ultimately, that which is written is meant for one purpose: communication. Truths lie dormant in the blood for centuries, or even reignite recent events under a new perspective. These truths aren't the answers to a specific question. This, in itself, is a limitation. Every thought and song and feeling that has been experienced by man exists. In the blood.

"Unfortunately, as tempting as the offer of 'godhood' is, I must challenge it. It may be true that I found the Dragons lacking, but the same could be said of the Circle." Taft's smile has disappeared, but his expression doesn't suggest mockery. Merely a serious face for a serious discussion. "My reservations stem from the fluidity of politics. Men have waged war in the names of gods and themselves since time immemorial, have they not? The desires and motivations of a populace shift, inevitably, over time. New gods. New laws. New opinions. My philosophy revolves around these changes, mind you, but it also requires a level of freedom. The choice to honor a covenant isn't done lightly, as I'm sure you agree, and there are consequences surrounding it. If I commit to one, I shun the rest. And when destiny requires my quill or sword, a political limitation could stand in the way."

If ever a web has been weaved, Taft surely spins one now. With the simplest of statements. "Tit for tat? I could be persuaded."

K
    Krieg

"You can thank Abraham and his successors for millennia of holy wars. You'll be hard pressed to warmongers as successful as they ever were." Krieg seemed to find Taft's assessment of interest.

The Haunt rolled his gloved fingers, in apparent rapid contemplation. "You puzzle me," his fingers ceased their movement. The Skald let that assessment hang for a moment. "Mercenary thoughts as that rarely pan out in the long run." The Acolyte spoke with a casual tone. "You may continue to walk as you are, or you may join a Covenant most beneficial to yourself. I cannot lead you to water and make you drink." Again, silence of consideration was given, "Ultimately, you will make a choice. I merely hope that you find it worth your effort."

"Only the chosen few will be allowed into the Promised Land."

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

"Perhaps there's truth in what you say, though I will admit that my values - my core - are immutable. The which is for sale," he says with a grin most unpleasant, "this 'mercenary' aspect, as you call it? Is my loyalty. So really, this boils down to the question: does your Circle seek more voices to add to its chorus?"

He doesn't wait for an answer, as if the question were rhetorical. "All you would need to buy my loyalty is a simple favor. You see, my craft requires freedoms that some in power are hesitant to grant. If you were to, say, put in 'a good word' on my behalf I would gladly strengthen your Circle. And, once the decision is made, I can promise you to take the transition seriously. The wisdom of your goddess can only enhance my abilities, after all." Now he does wait. For the imposing Haunt to make his own decision.

6. Likes liked this post
    K
    Krieg

"By your own admission, your loyalty can be bought..." Krieg remained silent, again, contemplating the Mekhet before him. "That is a concern to me."

Again, the Acolyte ponders this man's words. "Quality, not quantity," Krieg emphasized his criteria heavily, "is what She seeks."

"Again, I caution you against such avaricious pursuits. She knows the greed that lurks in the hearts of men."
    The Giant Haunt slowly inhaled and exhaled - an action completely unnecessary, yet, it felt appropriate to him. "If, and I emphatically mean, if, you are to become my student, your capriciousness will be the very first flaw I hammer out of you."

The Acolyte did not mince words, "It will be painful and, at the end of it, you will love me for it."

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Who are these monsters? Twist, Alessandra and now Krieg. None of them seem motivated by greed or lust for power. Or if they are, they hide it well. Very interesting. Is it caution or fear that motivates them?

Taft summons a smile. "I've met many of our kind who snap at every scrap thrown their way. Your devotion to a cause is... admirable. I truly mean that. I won't make false claims of a high moral road, but resisting temptations is a very good way to survive the nights." He flattens his hands on the table, leaning away with a thoughtful look on his face.

"I wasn't lying when I said that I, too, have a cause. The masters I choose must never interfere with it. So it may be that I simply would not fit in your Circle. Or, perhaps, I would fit very well indeed. Let's revisit this on another night. Our talk has been informative. You have things to consider, as do I."

K
    Krieg

"Aha," he smiled with an appearance of sudden clarity. He held his smile for a moment far longer than was appropriate. But, yet, he said nothing further.

"You know my expectations. You understand, that if you join the Circle, you know what I will do to you."

The Haunt exuded an aura of calm. "I have completed my part of informed consent. I wish you the best of luck in your nights. Consider your path with utmost care."

Presence
    (Intense)
    Blood Potency
    New Identity
    (Frank Petros)
    Status
    (City Hall)
    Lawrence Taft

PRE

Rising slowly, first, then offering Krieg a hand to shake, Taft smiles. It does not meet his eyes. "Thank you for your advice. And I hope your goddess smiles upon you, as well."

With that said, Taft excuses himself first from the room. All this deliberation has him feeling peckish. He simply must find somewhere to have a bite.

Taft will exit. Unless, of course, Krieg does/says something to call him back. Otherwise, great scene.

K
    Krieg

Krieg's large hand remains wrapped in his black leather glove. The Giant shakes Taft's hand and exits the room.

Great scene. Exit stage left.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread