Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

All The Bishop's Men

THREADID
    R
    Robert Longstreet

Well, actually, just two of them.

"You looking to expand into real estate, boss?" Even now, in one of the dark alleys of South Sacramento, Robinson's playful attitude is at work. His shivering voice betrays the man's real state of mind, however: he's uncertain of the purpose of this sudden meeting, trying to conceal fear with jokes. Even Friday, the resolute street urchin that has followed him everywhere for years, looks shaken. They glance at each other, unsure of what to do next.

"No. And by now you should really know better than to call me that" It was true, the title irritated Longstreet. It was like an itch you cannot hope to ever scratch.

Of course, he could be more forthcoming. Come up with lies and half-truths about why does he need information about two very specific locations and needs it now. But he is in no mood for courtesy and decided to go with the unspoken 'or else' attitude. At least, he is trying to convince himself it's a matter of mood and not something more deep-seated.

"So... Roseville and Old Maitland Junkyard, huh?" It's Friday this time, using up what's left of his courage in this monstrous being's presence "Anything specific you want us to look for?"

There was silence on the Bishop's side for a moment.

"Just keep your eyes peeled for danger. Entrances, exits... people hanging around" To be honest, he didn't know what to expect, and so didn't know what to ask of the pair. It wouldn't be wise to order them to dig in too deeply, lest they'd likely fall prey to the resident vampires, alerting the Brood forces in the city "Oh, and before I forget... here's a little something. For services rendered" There's a smile, intended to be friendly but coming off as anything but when Longstreet hands out some financial compensation to his agents. It's practical, of course, to give them a little more incentive. It's also the... humane thing to do.

They part ways with no further words.

Junkyard
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-22 17:41:23 Robert Longstreet rolls 9 to Send Scouts (Composure 3 + Intimidation 4 + Allies 1 + Resources 1) (10 Again) 6, 9, 8, 2, 6, 8, 4, 4, 7 3 successes

Roseville
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-09-22 17:41:06 Robert Longstreet rolls 9 to Send Scouts (Composure 3 + Intimidation 4 + Allies 1 + Resources 1) (10 Again) 6, 9, 8, 6, 2, 1, 2, 5, 6 2 successes

Campanella
    Campanella

Campanella
    Ingrid

PRE

Robert Longstreet is in luck. His scouts work quickly - or at least, they get the job done with relative speed. Not that they look happy with their work. Friday is definitely favouring his left leg and his right hand is badly bandaged. Robinson is subdued and nervous, a stark change in his usual demeanour.

"Old Maitland Junkyard. Yeah. Its out near Elk Grove. Kinda small, as junk yards go... But I swear its like a fort or something. High walls. Barbed wire. One way in... Eh. Big gates. Its really just a junk yard. Old family affair but man, do they like their security. Dogs, man. Fucking freaky security..." Perhaps that is why Friday is looking so mangled.

"It was an old family that looked after that place." Robinson corrects Friday, trying to put his usual friendly spin on things. "Looks like they were bought out recently. New family runs it now. Not local. Been noticed, they have. Making contacts with the local chop shops and criminal fraternities, if you know what I mean. They get a lot of out-of-town traffic. Couple of trucks - saw them with my own eyes - a late night delivery or something. And yeah, it really is kinda like a fort. I think the barbed wire is new. Funny thing is, they leave the gate open a lot."

"Funny thing is they have, like a team, or something, protecting the place at night. I don't wanna know how you got close..." Friday sniffed.

The two men fall silent and stare sullenly at the ground.

"Roseville. Roseville. I dunno man..." Robinson can't look Longstreet in the eye.

"Um. Kinda quiet. Like, I heard that there was this farm just out of town. It was a women's refuge or something but some... eh... ladies... I met spoke of it like it were a cult or something? Anyway. The farm burned down a few months back. Just a barn and a few sheds. But the group - or whatever - they legged it. I guess an angry ex found 'em." Friday nodded emphatically.

"I don't think its quiet." Robinson added quietly. "You can feel it on the street if you know where to ask..." He grimaced.

Friday looks at Robinson. Friday shivers suddenly.

"You mean I was right. I... I was being followed by that van?" An edge of panic was in his voice.

Robinson struggles with himself, with the Fear that Longstreet has put on him. "I ain't going back there, man." He speaks defiantly at last. "Something ain't fucking right up there. Oh it looks okay, man. But it ain't! There is a van. And people vanishing - street people. The one's who don't matter. Not that there was many of them to begin with. Or sometimes taggers who put their tags in the wrong spot. I heard of the van. Friday was trailed by it, I swear."

"Yeah. Um. Yeah. I had been checking out some new tags. Like, a new gang or something. Uh. Took a photo. Here. And I ain't going back neither!"

Gingerly, Friday holds up his phone. There is a picture of a wall: tagged, painted over, and tagged again. Emblazoned on the wall is big new tag. The roman numerals: VII.

R
    Robert Longstreet

Longstreet remains silent in his chair as the pair refers its findings. Each piece of news is more unnerving than the last, going off the scale with this weird tag. It may be that the thuggish Haunt has heard of the Damned who use it, but he's regarded it as most his undead peers due: as a watered down version of truth at best and a crock of shit at worst. Which is why he's decided to go with the more comfortable explanation for now: that someone who knows this symbol's fear-instilling value uses it for their own ends.

In any case, Robinson and Friday did a good job "That's... more than I expected. You've done me a great service today" For what it's worth, he means it. If only he could reward them with more than just this meager amount of cash "Thanks. But let me give you an advice: find yourself someplace safe and don't come out if you don't have to." He eyes the bandaged limb "And go see someone about this, those dogs might've had rabies or something" It's not exactly reassuring but hey! he cared!

Now to report all this to the Important People.

Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 7

You do not have permission to view the list of names.