Cadence has woken up the same way every night since she fled her old domain. Her eyes opened slowly. She almost let out a yawn (a habit which had followed her through the years since her embrace). And with the realization of where and what she was, she jolted upright, observing her surroundings nervously. She was in a small room, no windows, all interior walls. Shirts and dresses hung above her. To the left of her head were several neat rows of shoes.

Ah, yes, a closet. A safe, cozy closet. No vengeful sire in sight.

Shrugging off her exhaustion, she stepped out into the small room she had stayed in. The old man who lives here had been very upset about being woken up at an odd hour of the morning by a stranger on his doorstep seeking shelter, but the stranger was so charming, so polite. He found himself being won over by this woman, and invited her to take shelter in his spare room. Neither he nor his daughter even found it strange when she asked not to be disturbed all day. After all, she had been travelling all night and needed to rest.

Gathering her things and heading downstairs, Cadence was greeted by her gracious hosts offering her dinner.

"Please, come join my daughter and I for some supper. You must be starving."

Funny you should say, I am a bit peckish ... "No, no, I have imposed enough. You are too kind, really, but I simply couldn't. Cadence smiled warmly and gave the man a firm handshake, sensing the warmth of the blood in his veins, feeling the pounding of his heartbeat in her teeth. But these people had provided her enough kindness. She could stand to find an animal to fill her belly on the way into the city. The daughter said nothing, but gave Cadence a look, a smile she had seen many times before. Cadence returned the smile knowingly, completing the subtle greeting that queer folk gave each other. Perhaps I will fill my belly after all...

After some back and forth, Cadence finally agreed to accept a zip lock baggy with a ham and cheese sandwich and a bottle of water, neither of which would serve much purpose, but it seemed to satisfy her generous host. Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, Cadence made her way back onto the dirt road heading towards the highway. She had managed to procure, with some assistance, a few promising leads on places to stay, and where to find Elysium, but she had already taken too many nights getting there and the info wouldn't be good forever.

She only made it about a half a mile down the dirt road when she heard footsteps behind her. Right on time. Cadence turned and saw the daughter jogging up to her, short of breath.

"I -- I just had to say good-bye to you. I ..."

"Shh, now, shh. I get it. I grew up out in bumfuck nowhere. I know how lonely that can be."
Cadence grabbed her hips and pulled her close, "I was hoping we'd get a moment alone."

Stiff at first, she relaxed into Cadence's arms. She felt safe. She had found someone like her, someone she could share her secret with. And as Cadence drew her closer into her embrace, and began to kiss her neck, the daughter felt truly like herself, authentic, in a way she never had before.

She barely noticed as the fangs sunk in. She was somewhere else, somewhere happier.

Cadence's Beast was full and content as she made her way down the highway, sticking her thumb out to cars, sign in her hand that read,

SACRAMENTO,

a wide smile across her face.

You can always rely on the kindness of strangers ...