Ended
Watch

(1709) Robert C. & Robert L.

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    R
    Robert Longstreet

As much as he'd like to get to know the new arrival, most of her night will probably be occupied by the talk with... one of the Prisci. Likely not Hart. This Behr woman doesn't have the feeling of Family.

Unlike Cross. Longstreet turns to the Burned Man.

"You think we can talk?"

If the scarred Haunt does oblige instead of dismissing the Thug, the latter continues:

"I've been... thinking. But before I info-dump you with what I've been losing sleep over, some small-talk target practice: how've you been?"
    Of course, it's a rather ambiguous and potentially heavy question, what with Alice's and Kenneth's recent return and all the connected drama. And that's before Domain business.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Oh, have you? Cross thinks, but immediately smothers the thought. He's been so on edge in recent nights, so quick to anger. Go easy, Cross, he warns himself. After all, Longstreet shares his Faith and is Family to boot.

And then, the Bishop is asking after him, and Cross seems caught off guard for a moment. When he speaks, his voice is low, but he has no illusions about court and the sharpness of the ears of the Damned. Still, what does he care? "Honestly, Bishop. I've been...strange. Uncharitable, maybe, in my thoughts. Been thinking it might be time to see you about confession..." He shrugs, but his look is quite earnest.

"When you have time, of course."

3. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

That was not what Longstreet expected to hear.

"Uncharitable?"

Most people shrug off this kind of questions with a non-answer, and to be honest he didn't even hope for that with Cross, the strong and silent type. The fact that he lowered his voice, the look he gaves the Thug only confirm what Longstreet's suspected - his brother is a time bomb filled with anger. One can't help but wonder what impact did killing that man in the Catacombs have on the Burned Man's current state of mind. Or in other words: to what extent this is his, Longstreet's, fault.

"I don't want to sound like an enabler, but I think I understand where you're coming from" He steals a quick look towards the group of vampires standing around the Reeve "I mean, this Alice thing. And how Ms. Italian handled it. The threats to the Domain. You have a lot on your plate, is what I'm saying"

But there's another side to this coin, as always.

"Still, we are the Domini canes, the Lord's hounds. We are meant to lead mortals and the Damned alike, but we can't do that if we get rabies. Take on things one at a time. And always remember there are people here who actually care about your sorry ass." The conversation got a bit too serious for Longstreet's taste, so he just had to add a smirk to that "Me and Gilroy, for starters. Others, too" He falls silent for a couple of seconds "Let me know when you feel like... confessing. Although fair warning: it'll probably be more of a talk than a sacrament. Hell, we might smash something at some point. Or repair"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

"Yes. Uncharitable." Cross does not elaborate. Not at court. Not with so many other Monsters lurking about.

Longstreet doesn't seem to mind though. His open talk of Alice and Alessandra is met by a sharp glance from the Burned Man. If he could, he'd hiss a single word: Careful. As it stands, though, the look will have to do. And a quick advance in the conversation.

"Yes, I will try to remember." Not that he's convinced it will do him much good. "And we, all three of us, should get together soon. To discuss matters of the Church. Practical matters: the spreading of the Word, the state of the Moore House. If you think it's necessary, of course." Deep down, there's hope that such pragmatic service to the Dark Faith will help him deal with his recent...issues.

Longstreet's description of his approach to contrition draws a thin smile from Cross, "Sounds right up my alley. I'll be in touch about it."

Moving on now.

"My turn to ask: how are you Bishop? Getting used to being back on two feet?"

Cross tries not to think about the sounds of Longstreet feeding, chained on his back in the dark of the Necropolis.

R
    Robert Longstreet

"And get together we will" Longstreet replies when Cross, in essence, beats him to what he was about to say "But hopefully when we do, it will be in the Moore House. See, I drove past it the other night and let me tell you - it looks worse than both of us combined" Is it appearance shaming if you target yourself, too? "So I asked around and contacted this crew of not-exactly-legal workers from down south. It'll still be some time before I gather materials, but having the place presentable by October sounds reasonable, especially if you and Gilroy help me around" Now that'd be a sight to see - three vampires in working clothes, trowels and brushes in hand "You in for getting a little dirty?"

It's kind of flattering to get asked about one's state of affairs. Especially by Cross, the anti-thesis of small talk person.
    Unless the question comes from genuine concern.

"Still got some phantom pain in my knee. Other than that, I'm fine. Physically, at least" He "But the thing that's been fucking with my head is... remember that guy? The one I" tore to shreds like an animal "fed from?" Of course you do. You brought him there to die "Thing is, I've killed people before. Not many, I had other jobs in the mob and the Church, but some. And I remember every one of them, name, face, other things too. But that guy? I have to focus on that night to even remember he existed" Longstreet blinks, suddenly perceiving his surroundings in their every tiny detail. A groan leaves his throat "Seems like we both have things to confess"

It takes him a long moment to recover from this moment of weakness, nakedness.

"Anyway, it is kind of connected with... spreading the Word. I've stumbled upon someone in the tunnles some time ago, and wondered if she could make a good Faithful" He doesn't say the name out loud, having taken Cross' unspoken advice to heart, but the prolonged look he gives the Sacramento resident goth girl after ensuring she is looking the other way leaves no doubt about the subject of his speculation.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

This time, Longstreet's attempt at humor is met with a blank stare from Cross. The Haunt is his brother, and family on top of that, but old habits die hard. And Cross is in the habit of being humorless. Dangerously so.

Still, the Moore House. The place where Cross first heard the Word. Even though he didn't recognize it then, that night has taken on great importance for him in retrospect given the course of his requiem. As he sees it, it's his duty to preserve the building.

"That sounds like a plan," the Burned Man replies. "We'll see where Gilroy stands when he's done with Alice." Cross is sure the former Bishop will do his part. "And of course I am. Who do you think cleared out the catacombs?" Well, he'd been one of three the first time, alongside Jack the Creep and Garrick Marlon. Two Haunts with very different, but equally unnerving sets of eyes. Good family, though. The second time around, upon his return, Cross had done it alone.

But now the topic of conversation turns to something much more unpleasant. Something that Cross had just been struggling not to recall, in fact. Whatever warmth or fellow-feeling had been building in him during their discussion of rehabilitating the Moore House vanishes in an instant and when he speaks again, Cross's facial expression and voice are neutral, flat, affectless.

"Yes. I remember him," he answers. "Though to be honest, he wasn't that memorable." That's a lie, Cross remembers the man perfectly. Too well. "Just another sinner, really. In the most boring way." His casual dismissal of the man that he'd sacrificed to Longstreet's Beast says more about his thoughts on the matter than anything else. More than even Cross may suspect. "It had to be done." Cold comfort. But for Cross, it's a fact. If it's a fucked up way to think, he doesn't seem to notice. "We've all got things to confess, Bishop."

Cross is relieved to move on, but looks surprised at Longstreet's next suggestion. He knows who the Bishop is referring to, and it takes everything to keep from glancing her way. Instead he stares at one of the Breathers, the venery in Stax's words, on offer for a long, unblinking moment. A beautiful woman, so full of life...the flames of his Beast wash over him in a tide of hunger. Finally, Cross returns his gaze to Longstreet. "Really? I got the distinct impression that she...wasn't open to the Faith. You know something I don't?"

R
    Robert Longstreet

Longstreet's joke hites the wall of blankness that is Cross' face, and the Bishop almost regrets making it. It is up for debate if the habit to be corrected is the Thug's tendency to make poor quality jests or the Whip's "no fun on my watch" attitude.

"Yeah, I figured that must've been you"
    The temptation to add something about the smell of bacon being the tell-tale sign is almost too hard to resist "Seems the side effect of our numbers is our dwellings looking nice. Be good to keep it up"

"That we do" He admits when Cross lays down the truth of sin present in every being, alive or not "And I agree, it had to be done" Although it's not exactly true. Any animal's blood would do the job just as well, but the gesture was understood and appreciated. Like that of a cat, bringing mice at your doorstep "Still, if we treat mortals like chess pieces to serve our goals, how are we different from the jaded Invictus gerontocrats?" Despite what many, even in their respective Covenants, believe, the First and Second estate differ not just in their choice of rituals. It's a conviction Longstreet's desperately clung to for years now, lately more than ever.

The Nosferatu Deputy is smart enough not to look at Cynthia when she becomes the topic of their conversation, instead focusing on another, living woman. It's a good, natural-looking move, since Stax got the mortals juicy and attractive indeed.

"Did she tell you that?" Was it possible Cross offered her membership and she turned it down? Or could Cynthia make her disinterest clear to him even before? "We've spent quite some time talking. She just skipped a Domain where our Church was at loggerheads with the Carthians, which can be an obstacle... but she is lost" Despite what she might tell herself every evening "Seeking, but she is at a loss as for what to look for. I wonder if the Testament coud be the answer" That's not exactly right. The Testament is the answer, the issue is: how to present it as such. "And she has skills, probably a wide variety" Because you don't survive this long on the road if you're a one trick pony.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Yes. It's one of the...benefits of our numbers." And one of the things that Gilroy had taught him to be most cautious about. Displays of coordinated action, like their work in the Underground, tend to bring unwanted attention. When the rest of the Damned saw that their Family lived not in squalor, but in a well-kept Kingdom, as it once had been called, trouble could begin brewing. "As long as our Family is large enough, we can get a lot done." Just as important: they can defend themselves if necessary, should their endeavors be taken in the wrong way. And when their numbers drop? Well, the whole thing will come crashing down in short order. Cross can only hope that this won't happen. Again.

"He wasn't a pawn," Cross replies flatly. "He was a sinner. And a sacrifice. We are wolves among men." The last sentence is said softly, but with great fervor. One might wonder if Cross is trying to convince himself of something. "But you're right: we are different. We teach a lesson." He nods in assent, but then adds: "It's only his education was particularly harsh." And yours as well, Cross, a voice seems to whisper deep inside. Yours as well.

And as for the potential convert? "No, she never said that. Never outright. But she seems indifferent to covenant membership at large, from the few conversations I've had with her." He shrugs. "I agree she is skilled, but I'm not sure if she's ready for the Word, to hear it..."

Cross believes. Truly does. But it took him time to get to the point where he could. And he sees something similar in Cynthia. "I was the same way. Took time. And I'll say this: it can't hurt to try, but I wouldn't push too hard..." Spreading the Dark Faith is their business. But, it's always the convert's decision at bottom. At least to Cross's mind. In the end, she'll come if she's called to. Simple as that.

R
    Robert Longstreet

Longstreet nods as the other Haunt acknowledges the avantage of numbers. But it was discussed before among the Nosferatu, and even without Gilroy around one conclusion was drawn: if they get too succesful, other monsters get jealous. And from that jealousy, fear and anger sprout, with enmity soon to follow. Lucky for them, the other Damned here are fractured and just as likely to squabble as they are to plan.

"Exactly my point" He adds when they continue to discuss the blood vessel's grim fate "He was a sinner and died as such because I robbed him of his chance at repentance. You learn no lesson if you're dead, and since everyone deserves a shot we should take care not to take that away. Unless, of course, there is a threat to you or those you must protect" Obviously, there are exceptions to most rules in this existence and this is one of them. Besides, taking up arms against someone is that very act of free will everyone deserves "What I mean is, some inward focus may be good for both of us. Meeting with Gilroy and restoring the Moore House might be a good opportunity" It's what mortals do when they want to shake off the bad things in their lives: they bring themsleves voluntary pain and fatigue. Or so he vaguely remembers.

"Speaking of which, I remember you had a question about faith the other night. When Cynthia first arrived at the catacombs" He adds that last sentence since a lot's happened since then, and the Burned Man could have simply forgotten it "We got interrupted then, but if it still remains unresolved..." Some back-and-forth about the teachings could be a good start for this inward focus Longstreet seems to be big about, but some might argue there are good places for faith debates... and there is the Formal Court.

"Indifference is a mask" Even the Bishop himself doesn't know if it's said to Cross or about him too "I think it's not pride if I say I saw it slip a little. I'm not saying we should corner her and shove the Word down her throat, but it might be good to get to know her better, not as missionaries but as Family. Maybe help her out in something. Establish connections, so that you're on her speed dial when there's something to do. Over time" Which is easier said than done, especially with their 'charming' personalities "For instance, I borrowed a tape with music she used to play, and she agreed to make some paintings for the Moore House once it's up and running" Abstract work. Probably not something the old structure's seen a lot of "For a price, sure, but that's only one more excuse to meet, show her that we can get shit done" Thus laying the groundwork for one thing leading to another...

"The thing is, I may have this completely wrong. Like I told you, I don't have the experience of being unaligned or converting anyone. But you have one and Kenneth has the other. So, since he is busy at the moment, I wondered what your story is, exactly. I don't think you just happened to be asked to join at the right moment" Of course. Personal matter, multiply by two if Cross is the subject. A mitigation is in order "If you want to talk about it, that is"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Oh, it took him a while to die, I'm sure he learned something in the interim," Cross answers before he can stop himself. It's a prime example of his 'uncharitable' mood as of late. Almost instantly, he seems to realize the crass nature of his reply. "I...I apologize for that. It was out of line." The Burned Man seems almost baffled by his own callousness.

"But just as a point of theological inquiry: couldn't it be said that his fate serves as a lesson to others, who still might learn?" It's unclear whether he's trying to excuse his actions or if he's asking out of genuine curiosity. Probably a little of both.

"Did I?" He seems genuinely surprised. "I suppose...I've forgotten." That night feels like a long time ago now. And plenty other questions and crises of faith have emerged since then. "If I remember, I'll let you know."

Cross listens as his Brother in the Faith outlines his approach to Cynthia's conversion, studying the thug's face as he does so. Finally, it comes to his own conversion experience. "Well, my Call was...deeply personal. I don't think Brother Gilroy was expecting it, honestly. He simply did his duty, handing out copies of the Testament at an event he'd put on at the Moore House." An distant look creeps into Cross's eyes as he considers the memory "I'd come to show my face after an...unfortunate incident that had roused Kenneth's anger. One of those mishaps of youth. I'd said the wrong thing at the wrong time in public..." Maybe there's a lesson for Longstreet here, about decorum. About keeping your mouth shut when it's necessary. "Anyway, I came. Not expecting much. And truth be told, most of it was over my head. But I took the book." A small smile touches his lips. He still has that volume of the Testament. It is perhaps one of his dearest possessions.

"No intention of reading it, of course. But one night, I did. Not sure why. And then I couldn't stop. It answered so many questions. It..." he trails off as Stax Yumyumcrow makes his announcement. He takes a moment to give the prick a long look and then a nod, indicating he's heard the apology.

Finally, he turns back to Longstreet. "Well. It seems things are going to begin shortly. I'd like to take a moment with some of the...refreshments before signing up. What do you say we finish this later?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.