Ended
Watch
21 - 30
DISPLAYED
(Forbidden Fruit) Quaestionis

Page 3 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

"Oh, no doubt about it" he replies when Circe clubspeaks about the drug plantations in the Hedge "Purple Suit probably has a whole team of people doing the growing and harvesting. Makes you wonder how big the operation actually is" Sacramento wasn't by far the largest city in California, so probably not that many people, if only to maintain secrecy. A dozen maybe? Plus contracted, unwitting help?

Roberts takes her time to make her way to and from the evidence room, which works to their advantage. Obviously, their plan needs serious reworking. He feels like he's repeating himself by thinking: why things can never be easy? Still, it could be expected. As someone wise once said: If you want to make God laugh...

He turns to Donovan: "You think he could be working something?" The Darkling wasn't sure if it was a gut feeling or actual occult experience on the Woodwalker's part, but he was certain about himself lacking both in that regard "I'm not saying he couldn't, but... what'd be his endgame? He got the name, he spoke in rhyme and riddle and managed to free himself from the cuffs. If he wanted to flee, he could do so then. You think there might be some subtler play?" Alex had his doubts. The hobs weren't known for their subtlety. Drug-addled hobs even less so.

Alexander frowns and rises from his chair. As is his habit while focusing on planning a course of action, he begins slowly pacing around the room "In any case, we need to devise a new approach, since the one we worked on before clearly doesn't apply" Since it had the flaw of taking the suspect being rational for granted "There's obviously no resoning with him, not in a strict sense. But you had a good point earlier... Ms. Blanc." Despite the seriousness of the situation he smiles briefly. That last name made him feel like they were spy movie characters "If we work on the hallucination's fabric, we can try to manipulate the suspect. Maybe a good way to do this would be to convince him we are actually a part of the hallucination himself. Fake knowledge. Use the same keywords he was using here" A finger pointed towards the screen displaying the video previously. It would shred any code of ethics this side of universe, but... what was that about ends and means?

He looked at the Fairest and the Wizened, eager to hear their opinions.

Mantle
    (Summer: Sun beating down)
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Most of the time he is hunched over, crouching, sitting on his heels or in some other posture that belies his six foot height. His skin is very tanned and weather worn from long days working outside. Donovan wears durable clothes. Most of it is old and patched. As often as he can get away with it, he doesn't wear shoes.
    Mien

Mien
    While he stays the same height his body and limbs become wiry and lanky, like he's been starved. His callouses are noticeably thicker. Dust and bits of chaff cling to his clothes. Straw and small twigs stick out of his hair. He constantly has mud on his hands. Loam is caked on his feet. Small plants sprouting from the dirt. Probably most distinct though is the smell. Sweat, hay, fresh turned earth, scents of fey animals and fruit, and manure
    Active Pledges

PRE

“If the guy’s good he won’t need a whole team. If you got talent getting’ things to sprout ain’t that hard if you already got the seed or cuttin’s. No, any team’s more like for distributin’. Only so much product you can carry at a time.” Which had caused no amount of pain come harvest time.

“Dunno,” Donovan answered with a shrug “Ain’t excalty got a list of catches on me. Though the fact that he’s gotten out of a dozen cuffs says he’s either really good at it or using magic trick. Wouldn’t trust that crazy coat to stay on if he don’t want it to.”

“As for subtler play. Don’t think so. He’s either crazy or high. Or fakin’. Could just be toyin’ with folk till he gets a chance to open a door. Ask to go the bathroom, open a stall and bam. Gone under their noses leavin’ more eggs on faces.” He shrugged again.

The Woodwalker didn’t look to have much of an opinion either way with the change of plans. At least by his body language. “You’re the boss. I’ll probably still stand in the corner and look intimidatin’.”
    Wizened Woodwalker; Mantle: feel the sun beating down
    Defense: 2, Armor: 0, Speed:10

3. Likes Origins, Travisc06489 liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.

+1
    SL
    PRE

A large grin plastered itself on Circe's face when Donovan questioned her farm experience: "Nope! And I'm glad I preferred guns."

Circe guessed it could've been the cuffs getting loose from a catch or token. "Could be a sadist. Went after Roberts instead of fleeing, lost his chance." Because the guy really didn't seem the subtle type to her. It was probable, to Circe, he hadn't even thought of escaping until later.

She did however have to disagree with Donovan, "Distrubotors yeah, but that don't mean the farm is empty. Uh, park locals could be workin' the fields," she snarled in disgust, "Not like that'd be the first time a dealer used slaves to harvest product."

Alex had a plan. A plan that got a giggle and grin, both quite cruel, out of "Ms Blanc." "Oooh I do like that idea. I have done business with a high idiot before and that, uh, worked. Sorta," the way the blonde woman winced meant it was probably not a good sorta. "Think I can kick it off by calling him fuckface? No way a cop would do that." After a pause she decided to add, "Or a lawyer for that matter. Probably not a city official either, right Alex? You boy think of anything else that'd make him think we're hallucinations?"
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

5. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

He listens to the others' back-and-forth about farming crops with indifference. Ultimately, it's a technical detail that may be significant later, but rigt now their challenge was the creature behind glass right in front of them.

"Suppose you're right" he says to Donovan when he mentions the possibility of magic being at work with the cuffs loosened. It's certainly more probable than the hob happening to be David Copperfield's student "Meaning we have to keep our distance from him and keep him constantly pressured" But how, oh how to achieve that?

He prefers not to ask whose idea it was, Circe's or her client's to peddle guns while one of them was under the influence. He prefers not to imagine how these dealings must've looked like. It's certainly hard to push all the possibilities out of his mind. Alex snorts when the elf gives him her idea of an opening, but shakes his head. "As amusing as I find the idea, I don't think we need to be this aggressive" And then the Woodwalker uses the word. Intimidating. If this was a cartoon, a lightbulb would appear over the Darkling's head. But it's not, so a look of revelation directed at the archer will have to suffice "Wait, that's it! A perfect dynamic!"

His pacing becomes faster for a dozen or so seconds.

"We will strike at him from three sides, and each of us will have a role to fill, to keep things diversified and consistent at the same time" A short hum follows the words "Donovan, you're the most imposing of us, how do you feel about being Guilt? The hob clearly says 'sorry', indicating some past misdeed, real or imagined. We can exploit that and scare him with the stick of punishment. Be ominous, but keep it vague, we don't want him calling our bluff" Only then did the Darkling realize that he sounds like a high school football team coach "Circe, accepting the risk of being called a sexist I think your appearance predestines you to assume a gentler role. Absolution, maybe? Promise him the carrot of solace if he cooperates, give him a chance at redemption. Be your laid-back self" Alex smiles internally, imagining that playing out. "I'll be the impartial figure. An eye in the sky, if you will. I'll try to steer him with prophecies and bogus symbolism"

He falls silent, but only for a while "In the end it boils down to this: we know what you did. We see what you see. This is our game and behaving gets you a cookie, but oppose us and prepare for hell" There's an evil glint to his eyes. This plan has a potential for being a roaring success, but the disquieting part is it can also fall apart horribly.

Alex seeks the others' counsel once again.

Mantle
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Most of the time he is hunched over, crouching, sitting on his heels or in some other posture that belies his six foot height. His skin is very tanned and weather worn from long days working outside. Donovan wears durable clothes. Most of it is old and patched. As often as he can get away with it, he doesn't wear shoes.
    Mien

Mien
    While he stays the same height his body and limbs become wiry and lanky, like he's been starved. His callouses are noticeably thicker. Dust and bits of chaff cling to his clothes. Straw and small twigs stick out of his hair. He constantly has mud on his hands. Loam is caked on his feet. Small plants sprouting from the dirt. Probably most distinct though is the smell. Sweat, hay, fresh turned earth, scents of fey animals and fruit, and manure
    Active Pledges

PRE

“Don’t need to keep our distance necessarily. Like layin’ a trap. Provoke him, get closer, and if he attacks first, then any beatin’ he gets from us is self-defense. He’d likely be more willin’ to answer questions with some bruises. Assumin’ he ain’t numb from the Hedgefruit.”

Donovan looked a bit disbelieving Alexander said the Woodwalker was the most imposing. Sure he was tall but he’d bet dollars to dumplings having Circe yelling fuckface at you would be just as if not more imposing than a scrawny Wizened doing it.

“Seems a bit… complicated.” Guilt, Absolution, Prophecy. Sounded like Alex thought this was a dream battle and they were therapists. At least Donovan wasn’t. You didn’t guilt weeds, you pulled them by the root. Wore gloves if you thought they were nettles but you didn’t try to absolve them for sting you. The plan seemed too round about. Still he just shrugged “But you’re the boss. If you think it will get answers.” The Woodwalker didn’t have a lot of experience with dealing with people like this after all.

8. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post
    Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"I'm pretty sure Donovan that the cops would object to anything beyond a submission hold," Circe had watched enough police dramas to know that. Cops were always careful with suspects because when they weren't the bad guys' lawyer got them off on police brutality. "I mean, ya saw the video. I'd have beat his ass down but I didn't see no new bruises after he got the straight jacket."

If it was a cartoon, Alex's light bulb moment would've caused Circe to have a question mark appear over her head. Her expression as he gushed about a dynamic just asked for it to floating above her, currently, blonde hair. His pacing didn't help lessen the confusion. "Absolution? As in merciful kindness?" Circe's confusion turned into a grimace, "Yeeeah that don't sound like me but I agree with Donovan. You da boss so lets give it a shot," and she was back to her usual cheerfully blase self. The real question was what kind of carrot was she offering? "What kind of carrot am I offering? Absolution is kinda broad. Freedom from his master? Or tell him he can wipe the slate clean, I think that is the phrase."

After a pause she adds, "This is all assuming he ain't lucid and just fucking with the police."
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Almost unbidden, the door leading back towards everywhere else snaps open. Detective Roberts, in one efficient motion, pushes the door aside and clicks it quietly back into place behind her. She carries two clear, sealed bags. One holding an outdated but relatively intact flip phone. The other holding an unsightly mess that can only be the stomach contents of the dealer. She eyes them each in turn, quietly, as if looking for a reason to scold one of them. Eventually, she simply places the objects on the table in front of them. A hand makes its way to her hip as the other gestures towards the evidence.

"The cell phone and sample. Hopefully you three can find something we haven't." Though she doesn't sound entirely convinced, the fatigue in her voice and on her face is plain to see. "If you've any questions for me, now's the time to ask. I could really use some coffee. I'll give you two hours, but after that I'm calling it a night. Mr. Brown, I trust you to keep the suspect intact in my absence. It's an inquiry as much as a question, but she doesn't linger on it.

She gives them a few moments to think over their questions before adding "When you're ready to question the suspect, this button will page one of our officers." She points to another switch, separate form the video console.

11. Likes Origins liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

For the last part of their conversation, Alex finds himself mostly nodding in agreement.

First, to what Circe says "Precisely. Unless you are attacked directly the rule is: no physical contact. It was hard enough to get us here, and we may need the police's assistance in the future. Besides, to beat him into submission you'd have to go way past self-defense. So. Maybe another time" Maybe it'd be easier for them to catch the hob themselves, allowing them a freer hand, but that was a risky bet.

Then, unexpectedly, to the thinly-disguised doubts both of them express "It may sound complicated, but it's wonderfully simple. You'll see, roleplaying is great fun and comes naturally once you start" He smiles encouragingly at the Woodwalker. He realizes the plan sounds a little outlandish... but this is only to match the current situation, not exactly normal, too. "Something like that, yeah" he replies to the elf "Freedom. From his master, from his past... all connections severed. Don't worry, you'll do fine. And vague is good. makes it hard for him to pin us down"

To be honest, he's kind of torn between "this plan is too dumb to work" and "this plan is too dumb not to work"

But then their time alone is cut short by Roberts, who brings the requested evidence. He leaves the goo for Donovan to inspect (he'd be amazed if the Wizened could discern anything from it), and unpacks the phone, flipping it open so that all three of them can see what's there. Not exactly equipped with high hopes, Alex searches the contacts list, recent calls, text inbox and files stored in the machine's memory, if any can be found. After examining those, he finally turns to the police officer "I'm good, thanks. And noted" The Darkling replies, but looks at his companions to see if they have any questions.

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe nodded to show she understood the Mirrorskin, "Promises without substance, be like a politician I got ya."

Circe nods to Roberts, "Thank you detective" is her prim and proper response. She holds at her hand to Alex, "May I make an attempt Mr Brown? Flip phones may be best for making calls, but you can do other stuff with them. It is just very inconvenient compared to a smart phone," which was true. Circe could even play Tetris on her current pre-paid flip.

If she gets it Circe will do her best to search the device for hidden files, applications, or not quite erased data. Really anything as ammo for manipulating the prisoner.

3 suxx hacking the phone
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-24 15:23:09 Circe rolls 7 to Intelligence + Computers + Spec-Hacking (10 Again) 8, 3, 10, 6, 4, 2, 9, 7 3 successes

Mantle
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Mien

Mien
    Active Pledges

PRE

Donovan takes the bag almost as soon as she places it on the table. He kneads the plastic bag as she speaks, examining the contents when his fingers manage to bring a solid chunk against the clear cellophane. Not the worst he’d seen. At least it hadn’t completely dissolved yet.

“Thanks ma’am,” he offers offhandedly as she explains then leaves. Then he opens the bag. The smell of retch emanates from it almost instantly. Not seeming too bothered, Donovan took deep sniff of the contents. They were foul. While used to smelling shit and manure all day, this was something else. He gagged as the stench threatened to overwhelm his stomach.

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-24 22:09:06 Donovan rolls 6 to Resolve+Stam (10 Again) 1, 7, 1, 6, 4, 3 failure

“Smells too strong to get anything out of.” He said with a grunt. He took a couple of breathes trying to clear his head, even as the ‘sample’’ continued to fill the room.

“Could try tastin’ it, see if the flavor gets me anything new.” Despite having nearly just thrown up, he seemed unperturbed by the idea of actually putting tongue to bile.

In fact he looks more cynical when Alex talks about roleplaying being easy. "Just be careful. Vague promises are still ripe for pledge pickin'." And it would be Circe's hide if the Changeling bound words to Wyrd.

Page 3 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread