Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Merit-Striking Looks (exotic)
    Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.

(Fairest Blessing and WP dice bonuses)Glamour 1 Willpower Spent
    +1
    SL
    PRE

Circe actually has experience with addicts of various substances, fae and mundane. She honestly never much cared what they were high on so long as they paid. Her experience with "helping" addicts wouldn't fly here. Knocking out a changeling to dump with the Chirogeuns, force feed a cure all goblin fruit, or otherwise going through Lost rehab would be poor tactics here. Maybe some of the talking tricks that she used to keep them calm while she got closer could work.

Without the haymaker at the end of course. "Addicts? I see. I've had to deal with such individuals before. A pretty face without a badge can do wonders. But my responsibilities in such encounters often end with dropping them at rehab. Is there any consistencies to his reactions? Pattern to hallucinations or triggers that set him off that you have noticed yet Detective?"

If Detective Roberts asks why Circe quickly explains: "Addicts are easier to manipulate if you don't work against the hallucinations and avoid saying or doing anything that will cause an outburst."

Alex was definitely doing a great job. "As Mr Brown has said, you have few options and less to lose by letting us work. We try and maybe we get something. We fail," she shrugs, "maybe the blames gets spread around to more then you and your department."

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-10 11:16:04 Circe rolls 7 to Manip + Persuasion: we are pros (10 Again, WillPower) 4, 8, 4, 3, 4, 7, 7 1 success

Circe quirked an eyebrow as Donovan brought up stomach pumping. She nodded before shaking her head, "A good suggestion but I am unfamiliar with the laws related to having someone's stomach pumped without consent."

She looked to Alex. It might be best to just let him take the lead.
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

2. Likes Travisc06489 liked this post

failure
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-12 10:11:49 Roberts rolls 5 to Size Alex up (10 Again) 7, 2, 6, 5, 2 failure

3 successes
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-12 10:12:17 Roberts rolls 5 to and Circe too (10 Again) 9, 1, 8, 8, 2 3 successes

Roberts gives Alex a serious look. "He's admitted as much, from what we can tell. He called the substance 'his old friend'. Unless he was talking to a hallucination, my money is on him being an addict." she answers.

"He's been very vocal about his hallucinations. We've got a recording of the interview so far. I can't say if it's the drug or just his personality, but I think he imagines himself a poet. What's that got to do with anything, Ms. Blanc?" She stares for a moment at Circe's answer. "You're the expert." she retorts, with either sarcasm or just being exhausted.

She exhales, resigned. "Mr. Brown... I've told myself the same thing. We've got nothing to lose by giving you a chance.
    What I lack is confidence"
    she directs at Circe, before turning back to Alex "that we'll get results."

The Detective pushes the door open and continues to answer questions as she leads them through a walkway between desks and busy policemen, towards a door at the end of the hallway. "It's how we obtained a sample. We're legally bound to try and save his life." she explains to Donovan. "He's been medically cleared, and his vitals are normal. But there could be delayed effects. Too much of anything can kill you." She lets out another sigh. "But all we found was some kind of fruit. The lab results won't be back for another few hours. Fucking bureaucrats." she says with no small amount of contempt.

Pushing through the door leads them into the interrogation room - the side hidden behind reflective glass. No other policemen are present, though there are a row of 5 chairs in front of a table that faces the room. The man inside, straight-jacketed, sits in a chair facing the window. Glowering and grinning intermittently and mouthing something unintelligible. His face however, is the most striking; his skin has a greenish hue, and his ears and canines alike are pointed and long. The flesh on his cheeks is sucked in and gaunt, framing an unusually shaped skull. Roberts doesn't seem to notice.

Roberts gestures to the recording equipment on the table. "You can replay the interview so far from here" she points out a button on the console "and view it on the monitor here." which she points out in a corner close to the glass wall.

"I won't retrace the entire conversation with you, because it has already been captured. Draw your own conclusions from it. Mr. Brown asked about the details of the arrest? He fled the sting on foot and took refuge in an unfinished condo, where he was apprehended. He had a backpack with him, containing some empty plastic bags and a 9 milometer handgun, as well as the burner phone. There was none of the substance left in the bags, so we don't have an intact sample. The bags are getting examined in the lab as we speak. Unless any of you has experience with such things, it's best they stay there. The rest I can get for you. Now or after you speak with the suspect. Any other questions before I leave you to it?" she eyes the three in turn.

A
    Alexander Brown

This whole case is getting weirder by the second. First they learn that this guy is addicted to the very product he sells, then that he fancies himself a poet of some kind. One has to wonder if that last thing are just the drugs talking, or do they merely amplify what's already in the dealer's head?

"Very well"
    Alex says, acknowledging all the information Roberts has given him so far "Then we'll get right to it. Of course, we'd ask for a copy of any lab results as soon as they are available"

At last, they arrive to the interrogation room. The Darkling wastes no time to make himself at home, taking one of the empty chairs and inviting all of his companions to follow the lead. From this comfortable position he is able to not only listen to the policewoman, but to observe the suspect as well - although with the straightjacket on, he looks more like a patient. Alex is not surprised to see the unusual color of this creature's skin or its other distinctive features - they had discussed this possibility before. A quick glance later he is sure Roberts remains oblivious. Good. One less potential loose end to deal with.

Alex takes a moment to focus on the hobgoblin's mouth and the words it says, trying to capture the bits and pieces.

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-13 07:19:33 Alexander Brown rolls 4 to Lip reading (Wits + Composure) (10 Again) 7, 9, 2, 5 1 success

"Actually, yes" He replies after he's done and Roberts asks about them having further questions "Were you able to ID him? Collected any DNA samples, maybe found a vehicle he might've arrived in at the scene?" The hob might be native to the Hedge, but it makes sense for him to have some artificial semblance of a normal life if he's to pass for a human. And if that is correct, then there could be links to exploit. It'd be also good to know how much, if any, fae stuff is about to make its way to the evidence locker today, for them to remove later. "We'd like a look at the phone now, please. Probably nothing exciting there, but you never know" He smiles at her encouragingly.

The Mirrorskin waits for the other two to ask their questions, if they have any, as well as for Roberts to address them. Only after she leaves the phone with them and disappears herself does he push the console button to replay the interview.

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Her skin turns a slate-blue and her hair bone white. The whites of her eyes are blood red, the irises are purple with cat-slit black pupils. The helix of her ears elongate out 2" inches ending in a tip. Her features sharpen and her figure has an unnatural, inhuman litheness that can be intellectually disturbing.
    Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

Her skin brings to mind Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, or Asian races, though her high cheek bones and sharp facial structure don't match. Most assume she is of mixed ancestry given the pale blonde hair. Alias Mary Maniscalo.

+1
    SL
    PRE

1 success
    Date Action Roll Result
    2017-08-14 19:31:44 Circe rolls 6 to Read those lips Wits 3 + Comp 3 (10 Again) 7, 1, 3, 7, 8, 7 1 success

Lip reading wasn't Circe's forte, but she'd give it a shot.

Circe couldn't help the look of annoyance crossing her face at the sight of the hobgoblin it the room. That'd make this so much more difficult. Old friend could mean a lot more then just addict. The hob could be the fruit's main tender, a crippling blow to the operation. Or the fruit could be grown from corpses. Many, bad, possibilities existed. It also explained why the cops were failing so hard: Lost could pretend to think like the humans they once were but hobgoblins were not even close. The poet speech pattern was probably how it walked, period.

Circe nods along with Alex's request for the telephone, "I agree that checking the phone first could help. Even a contact list of names could help in our talk with...him. Thank you Detective."

Circe felt she had a better chance with the telephone. Sure, Fairest could manipulate people good but this Fairest preferred to use that to have violent fun. Hacking however was something she'd picked up. Once Roberts leaves she will tell the boys, "If its phone has security I can try to crack it. Cops probably already have but you never know," and if it was Hedgespun the cops might not know how to access it at all.
    Fairest: Larcenist | WYRD 2| Mantle: Dry Desert Heat |Health: 8 | Willpower: 5 | Glamour: 7

Mantle
    (Summer: Sun beating down)
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Most of the time he is hunched over, crouching, sitting on his heels or in some other posture that belies his six foot height. His skin is very tanned and weather worn from long days working outside. Donovan wears durable clothes. Most of it is old and patched. As often as he can get away with it, he doesn't wear shoes.
    Mien

Mien
    While he stays the same height his body and limbs become wiry and lanky, like he's been starved. His callouses are noticeably thicker. Dust and bits of chaff cling to his clothes. Straw and small twigs stick out of his hair. He constantly has mud on his hands. Loam is caked on his feet. Small plants sprouting from the dirt. Probably most distinct though is the smell. Sweat, hay, fresh turned earth, scents of fey animals and fruit, and manure
    Active Pledges

PRE

Donovan listened to the detective describe the symptoms. They weren’t what Alex had described from consuming the fruit but then Alex was used to seeing past the Mask. However, the idea that the seller was a mortal ‘seeing’ phantoms disappeared when they entered the interrogation room. The green skin marked him as a Changeling. Which meant the craziness was either from ‘overdosing’ on Hedge Fruit or was the man’s natural disposition. Whatever the case, the guy’s Clarity was likely not the most solid. And he was feeling a rush of ‘pure Wyrd’ as Alex described… what would that even mean?

“I got experience with drugs and stuff. If you have some of the fruit you found left that I could see or a picture,” he said moving to the matter at hand, not seeming to realize his claims as a young 20 something 'drug expert' could be taken the wrong way. “I might be able to tell what it is ‘fore those tests.” He wasn’t sure how pumping stomachs really worked, did they keep the vomit in a bag to throw away? “Or even the left over throw up. Might recognize a smell. So yeah, the bag might be useful for that too.”
    Wizened Woodwalker; Mantle: feel the sun beating down
    Defense: 2, Armor: 0, Speed:10

"Of course." the Detective answers with a professional nod to the Mirrorskin. "When we get the results you'll have them."

Alex and Circe both can pick up just a little of what the green-skinned dealer is muttering. The words 'I'm sorry' seem to come in spurts and refrains, and something like 'did as you asked'. If he is speaking aloud at all, it's not clear who the listening party would be. One ear repeatedly twitches as if he hears an answer. Then, an ugly smile splits his face and two words are distinctly clear: 'it's amazing'.

The Detective's already sour demeanor seems to go from bad to worse - though perhaps not directed at Alex's questions - and she sighs again. "He wasn't carrying an ID. Fled the scene on foot. And DNA and prints haven't matched any records we have access to. So we basically have a nameless drifter who, despite his extracurricular activity, has never been caught."

Donovan's initial comment elicits a raised brow, but the female detective nods. "Alright. A sample of the stomach contents -" she shifts her gaze to Alex and Circe "and the phone. I'll be a few minutes. In the meantime, you might want to review the recording." With that, she turns from the three and heads back down the hall.

Video

8. Likes Origins liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Alex stays silent when the other two exchange their words with detective Roberts, and his gaze doesn't follow her when she exits the room. He's too focused on what the hob before them uttered - in an odd way, it makes sense, taking the context of him being a part of something larger into consideration. Still, it'd help a lot if they had known if the creature addresses the Purple Suit, some imaginary being or someone else entirely.

No use wondering with no data, however. When the policewoman leaves and Circe makes the offhand remark about phone security, the Darkling's eyebrow is raised "Wait, you're a hacker? Damn, good ol' times" A dreamy smile is produced for a moment, waning as quickly as it appeared "Anyway, do that. My own skills are probably a little rusty" Although, likely no firewalls or encryption on a device specifically destined to be discarded. But they had so much surprises so far that one more won't be that... well, surprising.

So no ID, no vehicle, no nothing. Can't life be simple for once? He watches the video intently, hoping to gleam some clues from it, but it all sounds like gibberish. When the recording ends, he stays silent for a few seconds "So... I hope you understood this more than I did. It seems like he's describing the effect the substance has - being able to see past the Mask, what with this 'won't see' and 'thorns' nonsense. He mentions some 'shame' Roberts supposedly has, but my money is that the fruit doesn't make you a mind reader, and our suspects is simply cunning enough to use the Barnum effect" He dearly hopes he missed something, because if he didn't then they are just as wise as they were this morning.

Scene Stats
    Striking Looks
    (Exotic)
    Presence
    Mantle Dry Heat
    Circe

Mein:

Scenes

IDK
    CSbb
    Mask

+1
    SL
    PRE

Circe quirked a blonde eyebrow at Donovan's offer, unable to steel her expression completely. Yeah she knew that some narcotics had a distinct scent, even the norman ones, but that was an odd offer that Donovan was making. At least it would be to the mortal detective. She thought he'd already identified it for her and Alex. Maybe he was trying to fake something up for the cops?

After the detective leaves Circe just castes a flat look at Donovan before saying, "If you get more details on the fruit from digested muck, I will be very impressed."

When Alex asks if Circe is a hacker, all she does is nod her head with along to letting out a flat, "Yeah." Not that she could do much without an actual computer.

As they watch the video, the Fairest can't help but snark out: "I wander. Was he batshit before he tried to overdose? Or are there two of them in his head?" even as the video played. She'd heard rumors that some Lost could have that mental problem. The stories never ended well. Then the dealer blows up on Roberts. "Remarkable restraint on their part," Circe couldn't really get much detail from the ramblings.

"I got a little out of that," was her reply to Alex's question. About the only thing she could deduce was came from the part about the fields and the walls. It sounded to Circe like that meant a Hollow was being used to grow the stuff, "Sounds like someone is growing this shit in a backyard surrounded by a lot of thorns." She hoped Alex and Donovan got her meaning. "Barnum is be better then empathic, that'd be shit for tricking him," was her own assessment.

Mantle
    (Summer: Sun beating down)
    Wyrd
    Donovan Ackerman

Mask
    Most of the time he is hunched over, crouching, sitting on his heels or in some other posture that belies his six foot height. His skin is very tanned and weather worn from long days working outside. Donovan wears durable clothes. Most of it is old and patched. As often as he can get away with it, he doesn't wear shoes.
    Mien

Mien
    While he stays the same height his body and limbs become wiry and lanky, like he's been starved. His callouses are noticeably thicker. Dust and bits of chaff cling to his clothes. Straw and small twigs stick out of his hair. He constantly has mud on his hands. Loam is caked on his feet. Small plants sprouting from the dirt. Probably most distinct though is the smell. Sweat, hay, fresh turned earth, scents of fey animals and fruit, and manure
    Active Pledges

PRE

“You obviously ain’t ever had to find out what plants made a cow bloat. Some grass ferments different from other grass even though it looks the same.” He said casually as he squatted on his haunches to watch the video.

“Sounds like he might be tryin’ to fill some catches, getting’ her name. Makin’ her think about shame. Speakin’ in rhyme. Don’t know what he’d be castin’ though. That stuff get you new powers?” His chin in his hand, he tilted his hand “It does sound like he’s got someone else workin’ the fields. Could he reallly be talkin' with someone. Clause or Token? Honestly rather hope that than deal with a crazy guy talkin' with himself."
    Wizened Woodwalker; Mantle: feel the sun beating down
    Defense: 2, Armor: 0, Speed:10

The Detective hasn't returned yet. The three are left alone, for the moment. On the other side of the reflective glass, the dealer continues muttering to himself.

Please continue. Some time will pass before Roberts returns with the evidence in hand.

Page 2 of 6 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last
Closed Thread