Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Gathering the Haunts

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Longstreet's reply to Cynthia stops Cross's own. And it's for the best. The Burned Man is in no mood to explain things further to someone who cannot simply accept the facts as stated.

Scarred lips form a tight line as Weiss reveals the Reeve's deception at court. What could it mean? The Reeve's intent seems to have been keeping the news of Alice's punishment from spreading, but that makes no sense if Ale and Asa are sending the members of the domain, or of clan Nosferatu, a message.

Or something even more nefarious is going on, something that requires keeping Alice's condition secret. Cross's hands tighten into fists at the thought of it and he has to force himself to flex his fingers, willing them to relax.

When he finally speaks again, his voice is measured, emotionless: "That the Reeve doesn't want to advertise Alice's condition could be a good sign. You'd think, if this act is meant as a message, that they'd want the information freely available..." He pauses, "I'm still not sure what she meant by telling you that, though," he says directly to Cynthia, "given that you were bound to find out." Maybe the other clans are simply too disorganized, too isolated from each other, to share such news. Not his Family, however. Not if he has any say about it.

Dead, blue eyes swing back and forth between Longstreet and Gilroy. "Fine. I see your point. If it is, in fact, a warning to us, speaking about the matter directly won't do anything but confirm that we've received it." And showing their cards in such a fashion might identify them as easy prey or openly hostile adversaries. Neither of which are good.

As much as he hates it, there's no denying the pragmatic solution here. He's silent for a moment, jaw clenched, as he processes the idea that Alice, for now, remains out of their, his, reach.

"Let's give it a month. A few more weeks at least. And then, if she hasn't come back or there's been no news, we can contact Vivian about the matter." Something like a grimace twists his scarred features for the briefest of moments before his normal, stoic mien returns. "We're by no means close. But, I would be willing to meet with her...Unless one of you has some sort of connection...?" Somehow, Cross doubts it.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Striking Looks
    (Hot Goth)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquillity)
    New Identity
    (Elise White)
    Cynthia Weiss

Nosferatu Curse:
    The fowl scent of toxic chemicals follow Cynthia wherever she goes. Everything from Ammonia to Sulphur seems to cling to her.

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

Longstreets reply just made her frown deepen, but she nodded in thanks for the information. Alice was dangerously prone to the Beasts whims? Was her composure in their meetings truly as artificial as her aura? There was so much Cynthia herself did not know and all she could do was sit in silence as the others shared what they knew and debated a course of action. Her fingers twisted and fidgeted while she contemplated on what had been shared in such a short time.

Eventually she shook her head. "I don't think this is a warning against us. Secrecy aside, the Prince hasn't announced a replacement Senechal and he has not become more hands on with domain business." She had never seen the Prince of Sacramento now that she thought of it. More speculation from the Newcomer. The artist continued. "Unless hes going full king Macbeth, I doubt he would screw over his domain to make a point. Not with everything happening right now." Which still raised more questions as to why it was happening. She glared at the floor, frustration building.

And then matters turned to Vivian. She looked at each of them as they spoke. The Daeva was a mystery to her, so like before she remained silent.

3. Likes unlimited sink liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

When Longstreet's dry, rugged hand met the Worm's slimy appendage, the idealized image he's had of the man wavered slightly. Nothing about the former Bishop felt impressive at all. But then he spoke, showing that even if the form was weak, the mind was cunning and far-sighted. He lists the many possibilities and their implications in a far more skilled way than Longstreet ever could. That's why he stays silent for most of his speech, nodding from time to time in agreement. However, the Worm's words at the end nudge him towards a more active participation.

"Yeah, well, I think we can all agree that no jailbreak is going to happen. We don't have the firepower to do it, and even if we did we can't afford to lose people who are also interested in eradicating the threats we all face" Like the Brood and the ever-present possibility of hunters "I wouldn't worry about convincing York, though. Everybody wants something, and Daevas are pretty bad at hiding it. We'd just have to find out what it is and bring it to her... or hold it for ransom. It's a two-man job, though, I think. When you meet with her, you might want to have one of us for support. Two heads are better than one and all that" The words are directed at Cross. It's not that he doesn't trust the Burned Man to handle the matter on his own, only there needs to be someone who stops him from snapping the woman's neck when as a reaction to some ill-used word or misunderstood intention.

Cynthia stays mostly silent and doesn't seem too comfortable, the telltale signs being her twitching fingers and eyes lowered to the floor, as if the Artist expected to find answers there. Her lone remark is pretty spot-on, though "Maybe you're right, although it's not like Clarke has a lot of options for replacement. May be that the only message he wanted to send is that the office is no protection from punishment. That no one is above the Laws" It'd be a comforting possibility, allowing them to scrape off the target off their backs "Either way, an established advocate out of our Clan won't hurt" In case Cynthia is wrong and there is a warning to be sent or the Prince will take an unhealthy interest in the Family in the future.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Gilroy shook his head when Cross asked if Vivian and he had some sort of connection. “She was close to Sterling before… her decline.” A very kind description for going mad. “However, we didn’t know each other very well.” Or at least how Kenneth judged the relationship.

Cynthia made some good points, and it got Kenneth to thinking “That assumes Clarke becoming more hands on would be visible and not working behind the scenes. And if he indeed was remaining hands off while his Seneschal lay in torpor, was that truly better?” The specter of Ventrue insanity loomed in Gilroy’s mind. “But if this isn’t a message to the Nosferatu, this could be the first signs of the Prince falling to the Lord’s curse.” Going full Macbeth as it were. Something to consider. He didn’t press the issue though. Not enough evidence for an accurate diagnosis from the Prince’s actions (or inactions) alone.

In any case the way forward still remained the same as proposed. Cross would contact Vivian and see if they could convince her to advocate for release. Gilroy looked to the Burned man to see if he had anything more or if they would move to the next item.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Cross watches, seemingly impassive as the other three Haunts discuss matters. His insides, however, are knotted with frustration. All this discussion of the Prince's motives, or mental state, won't bring back Alice.

Time to move on...

"One way or another, we'll give it a month and then approach Vivian." A nod to Longstreet, "I'll bring someone along." And that's that.

Looking back to his agenda now: "Next point: family update." Dead, blue eyes swing from Longstreet to Gilroy.

"Brother Longstreet and Brother Gilroy have obviously returned to us. Happily." He doesn't look happy, but that's not so unusual. "I only wanted to say a few words on the matter." Now it's Cynthia's turn to bear Cross's unfeeling gaze. "Really, this is just a further warning." He frowns, looking to Longstreet again, the Pale's pathetic Beast taunting Cross's own Monster.

"Brother Longstreet rose from torpor as I was coming to collect him at the order of the Prince. His Majesty," there is a slightly venomous edge in his tone when the Burned Man speaks the title, "had requested that I bring him to the Nox. Obviously, that never happened. I notified the Reeve of the change in circumstance, but it deserves to be said that the situation may require further clarification to the powers that be. Something I will be more than happy to take care of when the time comes." The frown is still on his face, twisting his scarred features. "If you're asked about it by either the Prince or the Reeve, feel free to direct them to me."

His eyes move to Gilroy now. "As for Brother Gilroy's return, it comes at an awkward time. The domain lacks both a Seneschal and a Nosferatu Priscus, obviously. So acknowledgement is difficult, I know. If Alice doesn't return soon, what are your plans on that issue?" he asks the former Regent. To Cross's mind, it's imperative that they all get on the same page with this matter. The better to support Gilroy should some problem arise.

7. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

It's decided, then. The Daeva Priscus, Vivian York, will be their ally in recovering Alice and keeping the potential heat away.

Whether she likes it or not.

Longstreet feels the dead, cold gaze of the Burned Man that contrasts so much with his scars and initially plans to stand idly as far as this part of the meeting is concerned. What important things can be said about the two of them? They're both back, hooray, let's kick some ass. What comes soon after the introductory words, however, feels to him like a slap on the face.

"Hold your horses, what the fuck?" He looks visibly perplexed "Are you saying that Prince fucking Clarke personally ordered you to drop me at the Nox? I don't suppose he was very effusive about his motives?" Because seriously, what could a man like Clarke want from him? The only thing that came to mind was to either commit diablerie or form a blood bond to coerce him into snitching on his Family. The Bishop cannot decide which possibility is worse.

Clarke, you motherfucker.

The rest of what Cross says doesn't rouse nearly as much emotion. Especially since the only question posed was directed at Gilroy, not him. Therefore, he awaits the Fanged Worm's answer.

Presence
    (Confident)
    Striking Looks
    (Hot Goth)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquillity)
    New Identity
    (Elise White)
    Cynthia Weiss

Nosferatu Curse:
    The fowl scent of toxic chemicals follow Cynthia wherever she goes. Everything from Ammonia to Sulphur seems to cling to her.

+1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

Cynthia frowned when Cross's gaze fell on her, then looked bewildered when she heard what fate could have befallen Longstreet. Alice she could understand from a political standpoint. But Longstreet was not particularly high on targets list as far as she knew. Dark thoughts started to creep into her mind. She pinched the bridge of her nose and tried to calm down. Paranoia was not going to get her anywhere until she had a damn good idea as to what the hell was going on. He had asked the Burned man a question and she waited for an answer on that front. Her hands returned to their lap and her eyes were back on everyone in the room, toxic odours seemingly permeating the room.

The Artist tilted her head towards Gilroy when his plight came up. "Have you considered getting acknowledgement from one of the other Prisci in the city? Considering the circumstances it might be the only alternative short of getting the OK from the Prince himself." She offered to the displaced Worm.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

That Clarke had asked another torpored member of their Family to be brought to the Nox seemed to confirm the Prince was looking for hostages and didn’t trust the Nosferatu. Longstreet rising before that could occur was lucky. However it was just that. Luck. It couldn’t be depended upon to protect them.

Cross’ question for him had been something Kenneth had been considering himself since he’d arrived.

“There’s an official court coming soon. I'll be attending in either case but if Alice hasn’t returned by then, I’ll present myself to the Prince at that point. Trying to gain acknowledgement through another Clan's Priscus could be seen as trying to avoid his Majesty." Which Gilroy was actually trying to do slightly. "Until that time, I will continue to hunt outside city limits.” Even the Barrens could be considered poaching.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Longstreet's What the Fuck? elicits only a blank stare from the Burned Man. It is a measuring look, passionless.

"Then you supposed right," he replies. "Seeing as I never spoke to him directly about the matter. It was all handled through the Reeve." Of course. What could the Prince of the domain have to say to him?

"Like I said, though. It didn't come to anything. You woke up." And then, me and you, we killed some poor bastard to keep you sane, Cross adds silently.

"Could've been a matter of security." Cross understands that. "We wake up hungry. Or..." Who knows what? Cross shrugs, punctuating his own uncertainty.

That calculating look is turned on Cynthia when she speaks to Gilroy's situation. He's about to say his piece when the Worm intervenes and basically takes the words out of his mouth.

"He's right. It wouldn't look good, going to some other party for acknowledgement." He nods to Gilroy, "I think that's the way to go. If Alice isn't back in time." Though who knows how she will react to Gilroy's return. After all, Cross himself had considered tearing the Worm apart, limb from limb, when he'd discovered his former Regent waiting on the steps of the aboveground haven. "We'll all be there of course. It'll help to show a united front." They would have to be one way or another: attendance at Formal Court being mandatory.

Another item checked off the list then. On to other business.

"That concludes Family business proper. But I'd also like to address other concerns. First off, our friends the Alchemists." He sneers when he mentions the Breathers. "We're all familiar with the problem by now, one way or another." Cynthia and Longstreet had taken part in various stages of the investigation. And Cross has filled Gilroy in on the broad strokes.

"There's two angles here: on one end, their request for our assistance in their...experiments. On the other: a former associate of theirs is in possession of a certain book, a sort of hunting manual, that needs to be recovered in the interest of the Masquerade." His sneer has become a frown now.

"I've made contact with that former associate, a man named Radzinsky. Set up a meet to negotiate for the book. And we have the name of someone, some sort of former professor, who could maybe help us understand what, exactly, the others want from us...this Great Work, or Golden Dawn, or whatever..."

He looks to Gilroy, "I'd like you to take a look at the materials we extracted from their former laboratory." The orb. The homunculus. "You're best equipped to understand what they were working on. I'll hand it over to you after we're done here." Eyes now move from the Worm to Cynthia and Longstreet. "But I'd also like to come up with a plan, a strategy, for dealing with this issue as a whole." A beat. "What do you think? Do we divide and conquer, or do we do each of these things, the meet with Radzinsky, the interview with the woman, together?" No harm in opening the thing up for discussion. Hopefully no one will say anything painfully stupid.

12. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

He's about to comment on what the Burned Man has to say about this whole "move a random vampire to the Nox" business. For some reason, he can't believe it stemmed from a concern of him going on a hunger rampage. But Cross is right, it's all in the past, anyway. So a hand is waved and he fully focuses on listening again. For the most part, he stays motionless, nodding only when Cross mentions approaching the Prince as one. Right again, united front is important.

"Well"
    He already knows about both of the leads, even if at the time he learned about them a meet with Radzinski had yet to happen. That's why he could devote some of his attention to building a rough plan "I don't think we have to go to both those places together. We should take advantage of our numbers and split up, cover more ground in less time" Because who knows how much of that will they have? "You already met this Radzinski fellow, so there's a chance he won't be spooked when he sees you" A beat "Cynthia, you mind going with brother Cross on this trip? You were there at the talks the other night, so if Radzinski gets jumpy you can tell him to calm the hell down" Which might mean the difference between keeping the meeting on the nice and easy side and turning it into a bloody mess.

"In the meantime, I can pay a visit to professor Armitage. Getting her to talk won't be the problem, but I'll need someone with enough knowledge to know what questions to ask, exactly, and to sift through the information if she's stupid enough to try and bullshit me. Someone like brother Gilroy" There's a grin. If he's really as good as Cross says, then he's the right pick, the only pick, especially after he gets a look on the Alchemists' toys.

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread