Ended
Watch

Quick and the Maze

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    S
    Sasha

The Fairest chuckled. "No no, I am a Dancer and an actual dancer. I know some give up on what they were made to be as a sort of rebellious thing, but I couldn't do that." It was the truth, and Sasha couldn't remember wanting to do anything different.

Shrugging gently, she added a little more. "It's not the path for everyone, but in a sense, it helps me to gain control of this life I was given after I got out of the Hedge."

Which would also usher in the other things the Elemental was concerned about. "Unfortunately, there is no going changing what we are anymore. Yes, it's impossible. But if you want to fight Them, perhaps your calling is for Summer."

"On the other hand, there are those of us that protect others. Finding lost children before they are stolen away. A anonymous neighborhood watchman is something to consider. We know what They are, and how they prey upon people. This is also something Winter's do..." The Fairest said with a slight tilt of her head.

But the home part was definitely something she could relate to. "It took me a long time to call this Home. The want to stay, the urge to go back to running. Yet, this place, despite all the problems we've had, I've felt protected. Sure, we have encountered dangers, but at least people cared. Some cared so much they sacrificed themselves for this Freehold."

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    (Hush of snowfall, stray flurries)
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

Quick is crowned with an ostentatious arc of hair that resembles a jagged bolt of lightning. He is very lithe and slightly taller than his Mask appears. His skin is a very pale shade of teal, and is covered in tiny filaments like cracks which glow an orange-red. The tips of his fingers and toes come to points, and his shoulders have hard, jagged projections growing from them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Right." he says, giving her figure a more appreciative look. "You can probably stop a crowd. I'm not as comfortable with... the changes." As if in queue, he catches himself fidgeting by running his thumb over his fingers.

Quick tilts his head to one side as he considers her approach. "Control, huh? Not the same as acceptance. Bold." He manages a partial smile.

"Huh." The Elemental reserves telling her his opinions on Summers. The former Groundskeeper, Alex, seemed convicted enough in his beliefs. Perhaps that's why he can't relate; Quick hasn't put much stock in anything other than his own survival for some time.

The Winter's lack of shock - which his inner defenses had prepared for - really isn't out of place. He may be alone in his revulsion of the changes Arcadia had wrought. Both in himself an others. Judging others by the same stigma he places on himself has made being an outsider an easy thing. Quick blinks a few times, coming out of his inner monologue. Something about her words strikes a chord with the Levinquick. "How can I protect people by hiding? It's all I've done. Not saying I'm proud of it, but I've survived." He takes half a step towards Sasha, an imploring look in his eyes. "It's selfish. Right? I want to belong. Here. I've just got nothing to offer."
    Elemental: Levinquick
    Wyrd ● | Health | Glamour | Willpower

S
    Sasha

Lifting a finger to make a point. "Who said I was comfortable like this?" Sasha looked at him with an awkward tilt of her head and a soft bewildering look upon her face. "Not everyone that's beautiful wanted what they were. Sure, I have found ways to use it in times of distress, but, I am a pretty modest person beneath it all." The Dancer was honest with the Levinquick because she wanted him to understand, surface things mean nothing.

She looked at him, trying to figure out how to properly explain the way to do it. "Winter is called the Silent Arrow for a reason. We are the snipers, the watchers, those that slip in and out of sight trying not to leave a trace. It's possible to quietly help people."

"For example, someone that is good at pick-pocketing could be just as good as slipping someone a few bucks here and there. Or watching to be in the right place at the right time."

"So if you're good at hiding, there is much more you can do than just hide. It may take some deep thought or creativity, but, it has been done before." The Onyx smiled as she thought of two previous court members; how they were disheveled. They knew what it was like to be homeless, and helped if they could.

"Throw some ideas out. Let's see what we could come up with." Gently fanning her hand toward herself in an encouraging motion.

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

Quick is crowned with an ostentatious arc of hair that resembles a jagged bolt of lightning. He is very lithe and slightly taller than his Mask appears. His skin is a very pale shade of teal, and is covered in tiny filaments like cracks which glow an orange-red. The tips of his fingers and toes come to points, and his shoulders have hard, jagged projections growing from them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Oh?" he says, furrowing his brow. Her modesty in spite of her obvious beauty is... a little confusing to the Elemental. "Sorry, then. For assuming. I've always been obsessed with looks." he offers. A truth for a truth.

As the Fairest continues, Quick visibly relaxes. Much of his anxious tension gives way to attentiveness. Maybe it's her inviting looks - which he values - or maybe it's being challenged. The other Lost here have been welcoming, and that has gone a long way. But no one has truly asked him truly to contribute.

"Blending in is something I do well. If you can believe it. One of those 'gifts'."
    He practically rolls his eyes. Such is his contempt for no longer being human. "And conversation is a little awkward now, but I can still mislead. Misdirect. On top of that? Staying still is almost impossible. Exploring and observing; both come naturally." He pauses, seeing if she's already drawn the conclusion he is hinting at. He can hardly contain the boyish grin the precedes his reveal.

"Like a spy. That something we can use?"

S
    Sasha

Sasha waved her hand. "No need to apologize. I understand. It's our human nature that makes us assume these things. Even our Changeling nature, given the Keepers, Fae and whoever else tries to bring us down. Sometimes they even use it to their advantage."

The Levinquick caught on fairly fast for not exploring Courts in depth previously. "Some of us have no problem blending in, of course it depends on the venue or place you need to do so. Myself, I could probably blend in well at clubs if I needed to. But, some have better luck in side bars or other places."

She continued to nod while he kept listing things off. "Yes, misdirection also can be helpful and useful. As far as staying still... there are some skills you can pick up to do that. For a long time, I felt like I was set in constant motion. Now, I've developed a knack for doing so."

"A spy... Indeed, that can be quite useful given the circumstances."

"But, keep in mind, these are options for Winter. You may find that another Court may suit you better. Unless you feel a call to this one..." The Dancer wanted him to keep his options open. She wasn't about to talk him into joining and then regretting it later. That would be worse than Quick not ever taking up a Court.

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

She's right. About human nature. "Wish it wasn't so." Though her words on the Keepers casts a concerned shadow over his face. "That's something to think about. Rather not be ruled by the weaknesses they've given me."

Quick can hardly contain his growing excitement as she seems to approve of his methods and ideas. He grips one hand between the fingers and thumb of the other, fidgeting. But this is an excited fidgeting. His boyish face lights up with eyes that take on a crackling urgency.

"Who cares about other courts? I'm no Spring. No Summer. I don't delight in Fear." He shakes his head, determined. "Made lots of mistakes before. Finding a home after all this..." he gestures at himself, his revealed form "wouldn't be one of them. Will you accept me? You're the Winter Queen, right? If you can use me, let me in. If not... I'll stay how I am now. On my own."

S
    Sasha

"Oh!" Sasha wasn't dumb, she surely never wanted to come off that way. "I thought you were still in the process of 'looking' or seeking out other courts to find the right fit."

Now, the Dancer went to sit on the set of chairs that served as the waiting area. "I didn't think you'd already come to the decision."

Motioning over the Elemental, she could hardly conceal the smile on her face. "Yes, I would have you. Even better, I think you would fit into Winter more than you could imagine." Even though she wanted to say it the whole time, Sasha wasn't about to make up his mind for him previously.

Although this would be incredibly different for Sasha. The Onyx was a teacher of Dance, but for so many years, she was the one who was learning what it was to be a Winter. Now that she was Queen, it was her duty to teach. "So, now that that is out in the open, what questions do you have?"

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

Following her lead towards the chairs, he makes a sort of frown. "Kind of... spur of the moment, actually. I do that. Like the night I got off a bus and wandered into Funderland." It's hard for him to describe, and he shakes his head in mild frustration. "When it feels right, I go with it. You know? I wasn't sure before. Now I am."

Sitting down seems appropriate, seeing as she'd chosen to, so Quick sits in a chair close to her. "Hoping you might say that. Or something close to it." He smiles appreciatively.

It takes him a moment to think of something appropriate, biting his lip as he does, but he seems to come to a decision. With a short nod of satisfaction, he turns his attention away from his inner thoughts and back to the Dancer. His look is serious now. "Where were you when this 'Dragon' fell? The one I heard stories about. People's actions mean a lot. Figure I can learn how a Winter copes. With something that big." Though it very likely was large, Quick wonders more about the impact the struggle made. He reaches out and touches her shoulder lightly. ​"It must have been hard."

S
    Sasha

Sasha shrugged slightly and shook her head. "Spontaneous isn't a bad thing. In fact, in a fight, it can save your life."

"Often those gut feelings are what lead us in difficult times. Slow reactions can be a killer."

Leaning back, the Dancer took a deep breath. "I had just left town. Under the direction of my boyfriend that something seriously bad was going to happen. He wasn't a Changeling, he was a former Pastor. I'm not sure why he got that feeling, but we left and went north. I read it online and in the paper about the sink holes, fires and explosions. I came back not long later and some of my friend who were there had witnessed the chaos."

"If I were to have stayed in town, I probably would have hid out in a Cottage until it blew over. There are times we can defeat the enemy, and then there are times when you are no good to anyone dead. It's hard to find those times, but a Dragon isn't a time to think a singular person could defeat it. Spartan tried, and a few others. From what I understand, there weren't enough who could fight Fairweather. There were plenty who wanted to. That old saying, 'pick your battles', that is true of Winter. And if we had a weapon that could have been shot at a distance, one of us, even our former Queen, would have taken the shot."

Sasha surprised herself how much had been learned by observing over the years. Of course, Quick may have questions, but no answers in this situation would be easy.

"Of course, some think Winters flee at any sign of danger. Which isn't the case at all."

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quick laughs a little under his breath. "Good thing slow isn't me. There's good reason I call myself Quick. Among our kind.

The Elemental listens in genuine interest - which isn't something he does often - to her story. Tiny twitches around his eyes and the corner of his mouth, along with moments where he breaks eye contact to make a mental image, punctuate her tale. He doesn't interrupt. When she draws to a close, he finally offers input.

"Met a lot of people who would call that selfish." He shakes his head. "They don't get that some risks? Aren't worth taking. You were right to leave when you did. Not a lot someone can contribute if they're dead." The Levinquick swallows hard. "Lived like that for a long time. Picking my battles. It's how I stayed out of jail."

Quick looks uneasy. Whatever on his mind must be difficult. He narrows his eyes as he proposes his next question. "Any rules you... 'we' have? Outside those our kind follow? Can't make a good Winter if I start out stepping on toes. Done a lot of unsavory things in the past. So, you know, should I give that up?"

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 14

You do not have permission to view the list of names.