Ended
Watch

Here There Be Lions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

The situation is oddly similar of the one not that long ago, when he's seen his newest Court companion, Otto, for the first time. Here he was, standing in front of Funderland's main gate, attempting to pierce the shroud of darkness in search for a human shape. He came almost half an hour before the agreed-upon time to counter any similar attempts made by Lev, but it seems the man decided to be just in time. Which suits the Darkling perfectly, he'd hate to know someone was waiting for him.

The natural light of the stars and the artificial one coming from the nearby streetlamps make Alexander perfectly visible for anyone who might be here, but as far as he can tell there is no one to be seen. Despite thehour it is still very warm, as is fitting in the peaking Summer. The air is still, as in frozen in wait.

So is the Groundskeeper. Thirty seconds till eight o'clock.

L
    Lev

Approaching Funderland, Lev stuck out like a sore thumb. It’s always easy to notice a person who does not belong. The scruffy looking man was constantly looking around, looking for something and someone.

Lev got to the place some twenty minutes ago, and was hanging about out of sight. Brown said eight, and eight it will be. The man clearly chose a strategic position under a streetlamp, and seeing his mien, and not seeing any other Lost around, the Beast made a beeline towards the expecting Darkling.

“Mr. Brown?” Lev enquired, extending his clawed hand for a handshake, “Lev.”

The voice was very recognizable and unique enough for there to be no mistake about the Beast being the same man Alexander talked on the phone earlier today.

A
    Alexander Brown

When he first sets his eyes on the man, he wonders if he's not a runaway from the nearby zoo. His hands are clawed, his hair are more like a mane and most importantly he has a tail. That is one profound mien right there. Nevertheless, when Lev approaches Alexander and extends his hand, there is little hesitation in him and the shake is made, despite the fact that he looks like he could break him in two.

"That'd be me. But please, call me Alex. No need to make a fuss...Lev." The name still sounds strange, and the Groundskeeper looks for a way to inquire about it... politely. "This" he points towards the park "is Funderland, the common property of the Freehold, where all the Seasonal Courts have their place." Speaking of Seasons, the guy does not exhibit any mantle, at least as far as he can tell. It's something to ask about later tonight. He pulls out a set of keys from his pocket and opens the gate. "Shall we?" If Lev agrees to follow him, they will slowly walk around the park, without a clear destination or stops, unless the Lion Man asks for them. "What brings you to River City? Where did you live previously?" Standard questions to gain basic information. He bets it'll be more interesting later.

L
    Lev

Lev gave a firm, but restrained handshake. He appreciated Brown not hesitating. Some other Lost find his appearance discouraging, and prefer not to make physical contact, or even stand too close. Brown also did not look like a person who would associate with people like Lev, expensive suit and all.

“You’re the boss around here?” he asked, making a sweeping motion towards the park. “Looks like a fitting place for our kind, though maybe a tad too overt.”

As the two men walked along the path, Lev answered Alexander’s questions. But it was obvious he’s not a fan of talking about the past.

“I’m originally from San Diego. Worked the zoo there. Nice place. Me and my friend from back when… well, from way back, said I should contact you if I showed up. He had to do some important stuff in Detroit. Some obligation. And I just needed a change of pace… and scenery. Motor City is not my style.”

Lev fell silent for a minute, as if in deep though, then continued:

“Big B said you lot are good people here. And I trust him. So, let’s cut to the chase. What are the terms to stay? Maybe for a month or so, maybe forever.”

A
    Alexander Brown

"The boss?" He says with a slight chuckle, wondering if he really looks like he is. "Yes and no, I suppose. I am the King of Summer and the Groundskeeper of this freehold, meaning I handle security. There's also Sasha Collins, Queen of Winter and our Notary overseeing Pledges and Mhairi Ankaa, Queen of Autumn and Activities Director, our leader." They've managed to make a few more steps before he spoke again. "You... adhere to any Season, Lev?"

He understands the particular choice of this place for Commons might get mixed reactions, so Alex is pleased to hear no mockery or bitterness in the Lion's voice. "Well, before that we had a hotel called the Four Seasons, how's that for overt?" There is a wry smile, gone like a dream in the next second. "Anyway, Funderland is spoils of war. There was a dragon, one of Them, here not long ago, and this was one of the things we got when we got rid of him" Although Green, the guy who actually did the act is no longer with them, the Darkling sadly recollects.

"San Diego? We have one guy from San Diego, his name is Otto. You two should definitely talk, I think you have some things in common." The Groundskeeper leaves it at that, not wanting to go into any further detail.

The reservations in Lev's voice are clear, and like many Lost he is reluctant to talk about his past. And who might this Big B be? He's quite certain he's never met the man...or woman? In any case:

"It's pretty easy. When we're done here I will pronounce you a member and you can stay as long as you like... provided you stay discreet about our community and don't harass the other members. But I'm sure you'll do fine!" Despite his threatening size and animalistic aura Lev seems nice and civilized enough, so all of this is said with a relaxed tone. "Speaking of which... did you secure a ob in Sacramento? What can you tell me of your talents?" It might sound a little like a ob interview, but he'd feel safe to know this and besides if the man is allied with no Court then someone like him can prove invaluable to Summer.

L
    Lev

“Can’t say I’m sorry to miss the fighting. I’m not a slouch in a scrap myself, but to think you were fighting one of the… Well, if you could take down one of… Good job, is what I mean.”

It is clear, that Lev is very uncomfortable talking about the Others. Flashbacks to his escape overwhelm the Beast for a second. Gladiators too angry to run, or too changed to find their way home, dying in droves, just to slow down the Lanista. Lev noticeably shuddered.

“As for courtly business, I’m currently finding myself, if you know what I mean. Big Ben often said that I could be pissed off enough to be of the Spear, and also can be an unbearable mopey fuck, pardon my French. I never thought on that too hard, didn’t have time.” Lev smiled.

When the conversation touched on the subject of jobs, the Beast became noticeably uncomfortable again. “Well, I’m not exactly a highly skilled worker… I’m good with animals. I can patch them up. Can patch up people too, if need be. Not that I’m very good at it. Can navigate the Hedge, but again, I’m no Lewis and Clark. I’m good in a fight, and reliable. That’s probably the only thing I’m good at now. The… when… after… Yeah, after the… I’m not good at what I used to do. Took too much.”

Lev was clearly becoming angry and even slightly confused. It seemed talking about his Duress brought out the animal he once was. His started clenching and unclenching his fists, and breathe heavily. His eyes darted from side to side, looking for danger. But in a couple of seconds he regained control, took a deep breath, sighed, and muttered: “S’all good, eh? We’re free now, aren’t we?” and smiled again. “So, if you’re offering gainful employment, even something temporary, who am I to say no. We all got to eat.”

A
    Alexander Brown

It doesn't escape the Darkling's attention how Lev stutters or shudders when the topic trails off towards the Gentry. That thread is then dropped instantly as he doesn't want to seem insistent. And why would he? It's not like there are the True Fae prancing around...anymore.

"Of course, we all need to figure it out in our own time. Although the iron Spear is about much more than being angry, and I'd be happy to talk about it if you ever want to." The offer is watered down with politeness, but still there, clear to see. "And as for freehold-related addresses... there is also the Blue Note, a azz bar owned by Sasha." His internal proffessional loathed him for using the woman's first name instead of her proper position, but for some reason, he didn't care. "It's a good place to mingle with other members. Private. If a bit chilly." He smiles, recollecting his own first visit there.

So Lev is a ack of many trades? He's particularly, and visibly, pleased to hear about his medical experience. It's something the freehold lacks, as far as he can tell. But there it also is, and Lev seems to have ran into his past again. His anger peaks, then dissipates, lucky for the Darkling. "I think there's plenty of positions around the park if you ever want one. The zoo is minutes away if you're more into reconnecting with that point in your past. Or it can be something different altogether." He makes a pause. "Like you said, we're free now."

They walk some more in silence. He ponders if, given how Circe reacted to it, he should ask the question he always asks the new arrivals. Ultimately, he decides on a 'yes but' - he will, in a coat of sugar. "So Lev, if you don't mind me asking - it's more of an old habit, really... Imagining you can get one thing, whatever you want... what would it be?" Anxiously, he awaits the answer. Be it expressed in words or punches.

L
    Lev

Lev patted down his pockets, then shrugged.

“I feel like I need to write all the information up. Whatever, I’ll manage. The club I’ll visit, thanks. I’m not that big into jazz, but live music can’t be bad, right? As for courtly shenanigans, I think it can wait. Don’t worry, I’ll listen you out if you and yours have a proposal. No one’s going to poach me before I hear what you’ve got to say.” Lev chuckled at his own “poaching” joke.

The proposition of work if he’ll take it was met with enthusiasm.

“Man, I’ll take most any job you can throw my way. If you need stuff done around the park – no problem. Anything that’ll put me back on my feet. I’m, well, not the best at planning ahead, and the move here was a bit, how should I put it, spontaneous. So, you need security, you need a night guard, you need, well, even a janitor – I’ll take it.”

The last question stopped Lev in his tracks. He just stood there unmoving for a couple of moments, and then made his way towards the closest bench and collapsed onto it.

“You going all philosophical on me here, Alex? I’m not the thinking type. Not after… not any longer. But I’ll humor you. Hmm… The first thing I thought was “my family”. A good answer, no? But it would be a lie. I lost something more. I lost… myself. I’m far from whom or what I’ve been before… in the past. The…” Lev clutched his head with both hands, digging his fingers into his long hair. “The experience has taken something that made me who I was. I may be more now. But at the same time so much less. And if I could get that back – I think I would be happy. Maybe...”

The Beast sat there in silence for a minute or so, and then quickly stood up, racked the hair out of his face with a backward motion, sighed deeply.

“Sorry man, got carried away a bit. It was a year already. Slightly more than. Should have learned to cope. All good now.”

A
    Alexander Brown

There is a friendly laugh at that innocent bit of sarcasm Lev sports. "It's a lot, I know. Thankfully, it seems mostly quiet here, for now, so you will have plenty of time to get to know how things are. Although I have a feeling it won't stay that way for long." Despite the fact that a "brace yourself for danger" isn't really what you say when you're advertising, he'd rather not have anyone with false hopes of eternal peace. His tone, mirthful seconds ago, turned bitter for a moment. Lucky for him, another opportunity for a chuckle presents itself when the man makes a poaching joke (interesting choice of words, given his appearance) "Noted. Take all the time you need. Meet more people. Choose the one you'll feel most comfortable with. If I can offer some advice the first thing to figure out is what keeps you going." Of course, he wouldn't mind another Summer. But if he picks a different Court, who is he to object?

Lev looks eager to get a job here, earn his keep, help them out. In the weak light around the closed park it is barely visible as the Darkling smiles. They need honest workers, straight shooters. "As for that job...I'll look around, reach out to you."

It seems his question had quite the impact on the Man-Beast. Alexander walks over to the bench and sits beside him. "I assure you this has nothing to do with philosophy, and everything to do with everyday life. I think it's important to know the answer, for both of us. Thank you" He didn't really mean to say that last one out loud, it's just that the Lion's dilemmas are so much like his own. And it warranted a bout of letting your guard down.

But to business.

"Do you have any questions?"
    It's direct, true. But Lev is definitely not a wimp and he deserves direct.

L
    Lev

Getting a job would be good. Getting an advance would be even better. But there’s no one to blame for horrible planning and general carelessness but himself. He survived the Arena, he’ll survive a couple of days on what he’s got left. Even if it’ll force him to punch an extra hole in his belt.

“My obligation to Big B kept me going. Now nothing does. I’m just going through the motions. But it’s a new place, change of scenery. We’ll see.”

Another couple moments of thought, and Lev at last came up with a question.

“One question. I contacted you because that’s who’s number Ben gave me. And it being summer, you seemed a logical chose. But you said there were also Winter and Autumn Queens. Sould I maybe make myself known to them? And also… what happened to Spring?

After all was said and done, Lev stood up, straitened his jacket, as if trying to look more official. It looked comical.

“So, as you said about membership… I promise to do everything in my power not to endanger the Freehold, not cause any trouble, and lend a helpful hand for those in need. Anything else?”

Lev’s not a very good liar or manipulator, so the wording was quite plain. “Everything in my power.” He just could not promise anything definitely, on the account of not being in control a hundred percent of the time.

“Oh, and one last thing, Alex. I’m kinda uncomfortable to ask, but is there a place at the park I can crash for a couple of days? I don’t need much, a mattress, a roof over my head. That’s all. Centralized plumbing would be a massive bonus, though."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread