Ended
Watch

When Night Falls, Burglars Enter

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

The hour was late, but thankfully it was warm enough to not need anything beside a casual piece of jeans and t-shirt completed with a jacket. The guests and most of the staff had already left the park, leaving only a few sleepy guards inside. Light breeze was blowing through his hair, and numerous lights in the distance reminded him that he was not the only one not sleeping.

Waiting by the gate, as agreed, he stood, trying to pierce the darkness in search of "Otto Cash" that called him yesterday. He hoped this enigma of a man will be solved by midnight, at least to some extent. The Freehold needed fresh blood, and badly. It also needed peace, so here's hoping Cash is not a troublemaker.

So far, no Lost in sight. Taking a deep breath, the Groundskeeper waited.

O
    Otto Cash

You know the kind of people who will come right at the time of the meeting, or just before, not with a five minutes margin? That's Otto. The kind of person who leaves the five minutes margins for others, because it's a waste of time - and what's the problem with coming right on time? So he came right on time, not one minute earlier.

Hood of the gray hoodie Otto is wearing alongside the black-and-white cargo pants and red trainers is down, so in the light of the lampposts, Alexander can freely see the scars, both red and silver-lined. The Mien makes it easy to recognize the Lost.

Fortunately for Otto, the other way was easy as well. The young man approached Alexander. "Mr. Brown? We talked over the phone. I'm Otto Cash." He reached his hand in a greeting.

A
    Alexander Brown

And so, like a Swiss watch, Otto appears, precisely on time. He could be seen from quite the distance, thanks to the contrast of a face hidden in the shadows and the lines marking that space, glowing red and silver. At first, the Groundskeeper thinks they;re weird tattoos, but quickly reconsiders. They're not tattoos. They're scars. Alexander blinks, but continues unfazed by this revelation. Otto's hand is accepted and shaken firmly.

Another, less tangible thing was his aura. It wasn't particularly strong, but there was no mistaking it - the man emitted heat, and it resonated with the Groundskeeper's own Mantle wonderfully. Looks like the Summer Court is about t become a trio in Sacramento.

"My pleasure. And "Alexander" or "Alex" is sufficient, thank you very much. Can I call you by name? If I read correctly we're both followers of the Iron Spear, and that means we're going on a little tour, if you don't mind." The last sentence sounded quite possessive, but since the offer was in fact quite innocuous, he felt no need to rephrase.

If Otto voices no objection, Alexander will open the gate with a spare key ("I'll procure one for you too, if you decide to stay"), and lead the new arrival towards the big structure near the centre of the park - the High Striker. Then, turning on the lights on the way, he will go to the back and unlock the control room, going inside and encouraging the Wizened to do the same.

When they reach the room (or if the Wizened is reluctant to go) the talk will resume.

"Welcome to the Summer Commons, Otto. What brings you to the River City? Was it a long journey?"

O
    Otto Cash

"Otto or Cash, either way is fine." Personally, he wasn't sure he was comfortable with calling the Mirrorskin by name yet, even if his mantle had a good, familiar feel; a revitalizing breeze to his heat. The tour he didn't mind, though, so he followed Alex calmly. He only hoped the tour wasn't going to be a trial by fire... and when he saw what is the attraction seemingly curated by Summer, his hopes are getting stronger. He might be of Summer, but he was a support type, not offense.

But they went into the control room, he relaxed; it didn't look like there was going to be a shootout, paintball or not. "Nice place," he says after a short look around. "Thanks for the welcome. It wasn't a big trip, I'm from San Jose. I'm just kinda looking for a nice place to live, really. I couldn't get into the local culture, and it just didn't..." Otto scratched himself on his nape. "...feel right. I don't know how to explain it."

How do you explain that the place felt eerie, familiar and distant at the same time? Like he was there and now everything felt strange? He lost his name, hair, connection to the world, all kind of things within Arcadia. How do you explain that? Why should you explain that to the other Lost?

A
    Alexander Brown

"Very well." He was pleased that the other Summer wasn't uptight about names. Additionally, Cash seemed to be very well-spoken and level-headed, quite contrary to the stereotype. Which was good. Remembering the disaster and embarassment Cynthia's caused when he first came here, he concludes that a professional image is exactly what they need right now. Speaking of profession...

"The High Striker still needs plenty of work, I hope you will be around when we restore it fully. You're also welcome to participate. You see, the Freehold... inherited Funderland not long ago, or rather took it as part of the hoard of a dragon, one Baron Fairweather. Each Court has custody over one attraction, but it's not the Seasons that hold power here, but the Hierarchy, above such affiliations. Mhairi Ankaa of Autumn is our leader, or Activities Director, and Sasha Collins of Winter is the Notary, overseeing the Pledges. You will meet them soon enough, I'm sure. I was tasked with being a Groundskeeper, making sure order is maintained and disputes are resolved peacefully." All of this might've sounded a tad lecture-ish, but a little run-down was needed. Besides, it would've come up sooner or later.

"If you have questions, fire away. In the meantime, have you managed to secure yourself a job here? If not, what is it you consider your strong suit, your... forte?"

He waits for the Wizened to speak. For some reason he seems to be deep in his thoughts, although Alexander is quite sure it wasn't his own words that've caused that, at least not fully.

O
    Otto Cash

Otto listened closely when the Darkling explained how things are in the Freehold. Going by Hierarchy surprised him a bit, but was understandable if there was not enough Lost to make up a Seasonal Freehold. San Jose was in a similar situation; a small Freehold against a massive San Francisco. So, he listened and tried to remember all the names properly.

"Mhairi Ankaa and Sasha Collins. Got it."

When asked for questions, it didn't take him long to think. "Any rules for what else I have, should or can't do? Don't want to stumble across a local rule or something. Didn't get a job yet, since I didn't know if I was going to stay, and hoped I could work for the Freehold. I'm good with my hands and machines, and can do some help with computers, if that helps." The wiry Wizened looks serious and honest, if a bit uncomfortable and nervous, but that's a Wizened for you. It possibly was the longest thing he said in some time, that doesn't have a bit of spite.

A
    Alexander Brown

Otto stays silent the entire time Alexander speaks, and he could tell that the Wizened analyzes his every word closely. Cash's calmness was eerie, in a way, and the Groundskeeper could swear the cogs and levers working behind his green eyes. But hey, he ain't going to judge, after all he is not the type to beat his chest at every occasion either.

"Right now the Freehold is still... in a state of flux. Many people had left, including our previous peacekeeper. This means there is no official code of conduct - yet. Right now it's mostly common sense, but I was tinkering with the idea of having a formal document, a bill of rights and obligations for everyone to follow. Figured it might be useful for defining boundaries of power between Seasonal Sovereigns and the Hierarchy, procedural matters, some of the offenses - nulla poena sine lege scripta and all that. We still need to talk about it with Mhairi and Sasha, though." No, Alexander wasn't a lawyer, he's probably overheard the phrase from one of the guys at the Hall's legal department. Or something like that. Besides, he stopped to wonder what Otto will make of the fact that he's just referred to the people in charge by their first names, rather than their positions.

"I'm sure we can find you a position at the park - it's still understaffed right now, and we need people we can trust, especially if they are to have access to the machinery. Do you maybe have some firearm experience?" It was a thing worth asking about, for all he knows Otto can dissassemble an AK-47 and piece it back together in under thirty seconds, because that's Wizened for you. "I'm asking because there is another member of our Court here, Circe. She is a gun smuggler, and it'd be a shame to not have at least some merchandise for internal usage." That last sentence is said as casually as one would expect a comment on the weather.

"So!" The Mirrorskin claps his hands. "Tell me about yourself, Otto. You mentioned to be from San Jose, and leaving because you couldn't fit. Was it any trouble you got yourself into? Was it any you've caused?"

O
    Otto Cash

The Wizened scratched his nape again. So this Alexander guy was like that. Funny. Was he like that because it was his personality or rather playing a role? You never know with Mirrorskins, eh? Playing a role is - was - their life. Otto had to fight more than a few way back there.

At the gun smuggler question, Otto blinked. Oh, so illegal stuff doesn't matter as much good to know. "I don't have a lot of experience. I had to use them back then, but I'm sure it's not the same. I'd have to learn a bit and have some space for work."

Aside of the blink, Otto seemed mostly unphased until the question of his reasons for leaving. Then, his body got stiffer, face more stern. Breth. Relaxation.

"...I just felt estranged. I guess there were some more things that I left there than I first suspected. Don't worry, it's not like they kicked me out," a grin follows a bit sour and sarcastic note in his voice, "I enjoy a bit of unlawfulness, but not towards a Freehold and other Lost."

Otto stretched himself. Oh well, at worst they won't accept me and I'll have to move further.

A
    Alexander Brown

Finally, some life seems to pour into the Wizened, even if it likely means the man is confused and/or uneasy about the questions asked, or rather the answers that'd need to be given. Does this cause a tiny little pinch of suspicion within the Groundskeeper? Of course it does, but then again, the holidys in Arcadia took their toll on everyone, some more than others. Besides, Seasons would never accept someone untrustworthy, especially Summer. Right?

"It's good to know you at least have something to built upon. You mentioned workspace and a talent with machines - do you have any particular specialty? Watches, cars, bombs?" A playful smile visited the Darkling's face, soon gone like the memory of a dream. "Was it something you used to do for a living or just a hobby?"

The stiffening of Otto's figure doesn't go unnoticed. Not a pleasant subject to be sure, but it needs to be cleared.

"Estranged, huh? Does that mean our brothers and sisters in San Jose went full San Francisco and started to backstab everyone in the vicinity? Or was it something else? In any case, our community is still small, which means it's quite supportive... provided one can behave."

With hands behind his back, Alexander made a half-circle, passing by some of the machines that were alien to him, but likely familiar to Cash. He stops at the mention of unlawfulness being... enjoyed? That's a strange combination of words.

"What did you enjoy doing? Do you have any police record to speak of? Any membership within a gang, or were you strictly freelance?"

So, that's Sacramento's Summer Court for you. Two career criminals and a slick suit. One big, happy, dysfunctional family.

I'm going to cut the meet'n'greet a little short to have a space for Forbidden Fruit. Let's do this one and one more round of posting, and then we'll streamline this Scene and Papers, Please! into a Court meeting. When we're done here you'll be officially cleared to raise Status to 1. Does this sound good to you?

Otto Cash

Mien

Otto's practically covered with scars, silvery scarifications, and tattoos. He also seems to be even leaner and wirier.

Mantle

Heat, slowly scorching the air around him.

So insistent. Otto could tell that it was what the Groundkeeper had to do, but it was plain tiring, if nothing else. The wizened knew how to do social interaction; that didn't mean he was a fan of it. Answers, just give the guys some answers he wanted... "The Summers in San Jose had their clique I was not a part of, and were acting with the other Courts like a high school one, at that." Infighting, petty infighting. It always destroys everything, right? Yeah. That sounds alright. It isn't far from the truth, at least not as Otto saw it - all those rivalries, unimportant in the face of the Others. Otto's Summer was Unyielding one, and he didn't like the Fiery, Fleeting one. For a second, he wondered what was Alexander's Summer.

"As for my specialties... Computers, locks, all things gear, but I'm a jack of all trades. Had to. A little freelance hobby was made into a specialty. I don't like gangs, never joined one. That also helped me keep my papers clean, you know?"

The Wizened just casually leaned on a wall. If the Groundkeeper wanted to ask him a bit more, at least Otto could be comfortable. Actually, did he? "Anything else?"

All for it. Also, sorry for the wrong account.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 9

You do not have permission to view the list of names.