Ended
Watch

River's Edge

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

Sacramento wasn't a tourist mecca, nor was it a sprawl with milions coming and going every hour in every direction. That fact was easy to forget, however, on sunny Saturdays like these, when so many people of all age groups wandered West Sacramento riverfront near The Barn, a focal point of activity, where smells of many kinds of food and sounds of people going about their lives or using the weather to have a good time mingled, forming an atmosphere of tranquility and serenity.

A shame, then, that it was all business for Alexander today.

Quick, one of the new arrivals to the Freehold of Sacramento, likely the most suspicious/intriguing of them all. The Groundskeeper wasn't willing to allow any prejudice get the upper hand, but neither did he want any wolves in sheep's clothing. That's why he's set up a meeting* with him today. A private thing, Quick was assured, to get to know him a little better. He hoped for this to go well.

Alexander wore a simple, casual attire, and the shadow of a nearby oak sheltered him from the view of most passers-by. There were no trees of this kind nearby, however, and so the Elemental will find him easily, instructed of the exact meeting place.

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    (Hush of snowfall, stray flurries)
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

Quick is crowned with an ostentatious arc of hair that resembles a jagged bolt of lightning. He is very lithe and slightly taller than his Mask appears. His skin is a very pale shade of teal, and is covered in tiny filaments like cracks which glow an orange-red. The tips of his fingers and toes come to points, and his shoulders have hard, jagged projections growing from them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

The already warm weather feels even warmer as Quick approaches the pale, mannequin-like Alexander at their agreed spot. Eyeing the tree, he's a little jealous of the shade. "Alex. How are you?" He offers a hand, feeling a little awkward for not really knowing how to greet the guy.

He glances around a bit, taking in the scenery as if just noticing he had gotten here. It seems like a busy little spot, and full of things to do. His eyes fall, briefly, on a college aged man walking shirtless and talking with his friends. Eyes back on Alex - much less traditionally interesting - he asks "What is it you wanted to talk about?" It's not a loaded question, per se, but the Elemental almost starts feeling impatient. Like whatever this guy wants to know about can't be as important as he makes it out to be. Thinking back, though, Alex had said all that 'deep' and 'philosophical' stuff about why someone ends up somewhere. Bet he doesn't trust me.
    Elemental: Levinquick
    Wyrd ● | Health | Glamour | Willpower

A
    Alexander Brown

The extended hand is accepted and shaken as the Elemental approaches their designated meeting place. This time, his true image is plain to see for the Groundskeeper. The teal-skinned young man stands out like a sore thumb, and his haircut made of lightning only enhances the effect. Why did he harden his mask while in the company of friendly changelings but kept it loose here, in public, open for so many dangers fae or otherwise, he did not know. He was about to, however.

"I'm good, thanks. I hope you don't have trouble settling in? No issues with your fellow club members?"

Whether the answer is affirmative, negative or nonexistent, Alexander continues.

"Well, I wanted to talk about you, obviously. Don't take this the wrong way, you've all caused quite a stir that evening at the park. I'm personally quite glad you did, the club needs all the help it can get. But it also meant that we didn't have a good chance to get to know each other, a necessity in the world such as ours, especially without any kind of binding established on new members."

This introduction was getting way too long.

"Anyway, I wondered: who is this man? Did he come here all this way from Manhattan, or were there any stops along the way? What does he consider his talents? And why does he conceal his face in safety, while barely holding a mask up with all those eyes around?" Quick seemed to be smart, he'd instantly get that the last question was loaded like a future husband at the end of a stag night.

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

Quick is crowned with an ostentatious arc of hair that resembles a jagged bolt of lightning. He is very lithe and slightly taller than his Mask appears. His skin is a very pale shade of teal, and is covered in tiny filaments like cracks which glow an orange-red. The tips of his fingers and toes come to points, and his shoulders have hard, jagged projections growing from them.

+1
    SL
    PRE

After their handshake and obligatory pleasantries, Quick shrugs with palms upturned in response. He hardly knows a one of these 'club' members. At the mention of getting to know him, Quick can't help but feel a little tingle of pleasure - he is his own favorite subject. As the man goes on, though, pleasure fades into more impatience. Alex isn't long winded, and Quick knows it, but the Elemental can't help but feel like the man is giving a college lecture. He can't control it, but he can hide it.

The last question hits like a punch, and Quick blinks a few times to 'recover'. Omitting an answer to the hows and wheres of his trip, he skips to the meat. "Safety, huh? I guess I agree... but old habits die hard. That was a new place. Today?" He shrugs again. "I wanted to make a statement. Also wanted to see if you'd run away." His eyes narrow, focused intently on the man's response. "Because I'm scary. Right? Maybe not to you. Definitely to me. You don't trust me-" a statement he leaves hanging almost like a question, then he crosses his arms and closes the gap "well here's your chance to get over it."

It takes him two seconds to realize how harshly that may have sounded. He uncrosses his arms and sighs a little. "Sorry. But anyway, this is a one time thing. You've seen me 'without my makeup'."

5. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Quick shrugs, but his face remains unmoving. It's rather hard to tell if what he'd said is met with genuine indifference, or is the true reaction hidden well enough not to burn bridges, and keep the cards close to his chest. Finally, the Elemental blinks, apparently confused by the last question. Old habits? Does that mean he had his Mask hardened every time he appeared at a new Lost gathering? But surely the people he met'd instantly know who he really is, being either led by someone or following signs readable only to fae eyes. All this made little sense to the Groundskeeper.

At the mention of him running away, he chuckles lightly. "A statement, huh? It's duly noted. And I hate to break it to you, but I wouldn't call you scary. Pronounced, perhaps." In the light of him admitting to be scared of himself that migh've come off as more than a little insensitive, but the words were already out there. "But you didn't choose how you look. The only thing by which you'll be judged - as we all are - are our actions. This may sound cliched to you, but given how the club life works, there's little point of taking things at face value."

The entire time he feels the attentive eyes of Quick focused at him. Then, as he finishes, the Elemental crosses his arms and speaks of trust.

"You're missing the point. Just as much as we need to trust you, you need to trust us. We are willing to help and protect you, and all we ask in return is honesty and commitment. And although I do respect how skillfully you ducked my other questions, I'd be delighted to hear about it."

Does all this sound like a lecture? Maybe? Is Alexander concerned about that? Not at all.

When Quick is finished speaking (or refusing to speak) on the matter, another issue needs to be brought up.

"Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised about all of this. People lacking a distinct allegiance to any of the sides of the club oftenj value their independence. It's a thing to admire, in a way. But it begs the question: was it always that way? It must've been difficult to eschew the support it can provide."

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

Although a little relieved that Alexander hadn't chosen to judge him - most like them wouldn't, but who's counting - Quick deflates a little. This guy doesn't know the Elemental's ticks and habits. How would he know? He hasn't given Alex a chance.Quick hasn't even asked about the Darkling's own experiences. He would have to remedy that, eventually. For now, the current situation could use some clarification.

"I get it. I do. This is my honesty. Trusting you to see this side of me. I really wanted you to trust me, so I met you without dressing up. I've been all over... never know what to expect. Some people are nice. Welcoming." He allows himself half a smile and a nod towards Alex. "Like you seem to be." Despite commitment being almost a four letter word since he left Manhattan, trust he can work on. "Some people aren't. Figured if you hurt me when I'm vulnerable I would know. I think I do now."

It had been a difficult road, for different reasons. This meeting is supposed to be about revealing himself, right? He obliges. "I never tried to join any club. I always felt like I had to keep running. Running makes sense to me. Like... makes sense. I keep moving because it feels natural. That crap about showing up somewhere you talked about? I dunno, maybe you're right? But I don't know why I do some things. When you've been where I've been - that weird summer camp - you get used to moving around at random." He didn't know any euphemisms for 'I used to turn into a lightning bolt and that's fucking confusing', but maybe he could reveal more in private. The rest comes out quick, charged and urgent. "I didn't fall asleep on a bus, but I did kinda stumble across Sacramento. It just felt right. More than Great Lakes, Norfolk, Cleveland... even Salt Lake City. They all pulled at me, but this place pulled harder. Not some premonition thing... just a compulsion to go."

He blinks a few more times. If he hadn't taken a breath in that whole speech it wouldn't surprise him. He exhales just to be sure. Then, feeling a little less burdened, he asks "Why did you come here? And when?" Genuine curiosity practically sparkles in his eyes.

A
    Alexander Brown

For what it's worth, the Elemental looks relieved - a little. His features seem to soften when he hears Alexander speaking. This is not a traitor's relieve of not being caught. This is how an innocent man that was spared the gallows looks like. Granted, Quick's predilection for swift movement and the distinct lack of anchors, Seasonal or otherwise, might prove to be sources of problems of their own, but this is a thing of the future. Hopefully, they will be able to tackle those when they come.

"I understand." He replies to the Elemental's initial statements. "Not all clubs are welcoming, it's true, but look at us, but there's too few of us here to really allow the luxury of being picky. Truth is we need you, all of you, to make this work. If I seem aggressive, it's only because what fragile peace we have now was bought with blood, and I'm not allowing anyone to disturb it." Did he just explain himself to the new guy? Where the hell did his sense of authority go?

Well, the thing with authority is you don't have any unless you earn it, some smug bastard in his head tells him.

What he says about not being able to join any Court makes an unexpected amount of sense, too. Of course, Quick is not the only Elemental made of lightning in the world, and many of his brethren surely are respected Courtiers, but it's true staying in one place may be difficult for someone literally made of change.

"A hunch then?" It remains to be seen if the choice turns out to be a good one...and if the answer is the same for Quick and the Freehold. "I do sympathize. In California we have wine, money, beautiful women and drugs from Mexico - there is always something to do here, whereas in Utah you'd what? Hunt bisons?" Yes, that's Alexander's idea of a joke. Still, the other guy didn't seem stuffy at all, so maybe it won't be all bad. "You have any profession? A hobby perhaps?"

Then the conversation shifts, and for a moment Alexander seems surprised that it did. But then he composes himself, mindful that it's only fair to share some personal information in the light of the mutual trust mini-speech he just gave.

"Me? I was born in Sacramento, but on the day I was out of the woods I moved to the Bay area. Returned just two months ago. It seemed a natural destination after my fellow clubmates decided it's a good idea to roll in mud like pigs and backstab each other for some perceived slight or meaningless title. Plus, there are some personal reasons... family matters. You have any family, Quick? What of your twin?"

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

Quick's eye widen a bit. So this man's title means more than just 'guy who takes care of the park'? Quick makes a mental note of it, nodding a little. His respect for the plastic man might have tilted a bit for it. Appearances might be almost everything, but Alex's grit makes up for what his unexciting Mien lacks. His thoughts return, briefly, to the mole-man . He'd have to give everyone here a chance. Just like running things in his circle back in Manhattan - back when he was James.

He smiles a little at the joke. He had to think for a moment to remember what bison were. Buffalo or something close. Probably what he'd been used to calling buffalo were really bison. He'd blame upstate New York for that. "My hobbies... you mean 'what can I do for the club', right? I used to be part of a group. Not a gang, but trouble was always close. Rich people, tourists, whoever? They were marks. Rubes or whatever." He shrugs again at the last, keeping his expression neutral. He didn't want to seem like he was bragging. He's not ashamed, either. "Everything else I picked up. Friends, teachers, whatever. From all over. I'm good at blending in. Disguises. Kindof a pyro, too. I... don't like reminding myself of camp." He had been pretty quick to distance himself from what his cozy spot in Arcadia had turned him into. If he could have it his way, he would never become lightning again.

"Sounds rough."
    He need only to remind himself of how quickly things could fall apart when one of his friends got a real job offer and left. Plenty of backstabbing then. At the mention of 'personal reasons', Quick nods again. Everyone deserves their privacy. "My twin had an accident." His deadpan cliche makes it painfully obvious what he meant; the Fetch is just random macabre debris now. "Mom and Dad still live in Manhattan. They think I left for college." He'd really turned down his athletic scholarship, but his parents didn't need to know. Let them believe their son was successful.

A
    Alexander Brown

Maybe it was Quick's boyish aura, the overall quality of the day or something else entirely, his initial mistrust towards the Elemental was receding in favor of curiosity. He's met some Elementals before and they were all a little... quirky. Some got over it, like Mhairi. Some still have to. He's willing to utilize the benefit of the doubt on this one.

"So you're a versatile juvenile offender and possibly a pyromaniac?" He said with a light, friendly chuckle. "That's alright, so long as you don't steal my wallet or set someone's hair on fire for the laughs." Of course it was all right. They had a gun smuggler and a creepy occultist here, for Heaven's sake, so this was hardly something to frown upon.

"An accident?" Alexander knew precisely what he meant by that. Surprising. He didn't take Quick for a killer, even if that person wasn't technically... well, a person. "I see. That's one problem less, I suppose."

The Groundskeeper felt it was high time to make it official, see how well Quick would fit. One last, playful/serious question remained in his head, however.

"Tell me, if you could get one thing - not necessarily an item, but a thing - what would it be?"

So, there's another thread started that requires me to jump in, taking the last of my free Scene slots. Since I don't want to delay "Forbidden Fruit" anymore, I'd ask you for one more reply, and then I'll close this one and grant Status. We can always continue in some other Scene in the future. How's that sound to you?

Striking Looks
    (Boyish Charm)
    Presence
    (Restless)
    Winter Mantle
    Dexterity
    (Lithe)
    Quick
    Mien

+1
    SL
    PRE

It's all he can do to avoid blushing at the term 'versatile'. Unintentional pun, he's sure. Still, he can't help but meet the man's chuckle with a grin. "Club members are off-limits. Can't make promises about anyone else. Unless it would be bad for the club. Of course." Quick winks.

Relief washes over him like a warm shower that Alex hadn't pried about the Fetch. The thing not being human hadn't made it any easier. At the time, it had been a mirror reflection of himself. He nods again. One less problem.

The last question sounds almost like one of those trick-questions they ask you at a job interview. Quick bites his lip a little, searching for the right answer. "Guess I want the impossible... I want things to go back to normal." His gaze veers off for a moment, as if lost in thought. Then, "But I'll try like hell to make it happen. Take back what was lost. For me and everyone else." As the words leave his lips, he realizes just how 'ok' he is with that. He isn't James anymore - never will be again - but that doesn't mean he has to give up trying to be human. And that determination could extend to his new friends here. He decides it will.

Sounds good to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 10

You do not have permission to view the list of names.