It was late in the evening and the small congregation from the last service were filtering out of the church. Three young women approached Obsidian, nervous and excited.

“Excuse us, but we have some questions about … alternative … practices.”

The speaker was tall and blonde, dyed blue-black, including her eyebrows. Her clothes and fingernails matched her hair.

Obsidian raised her eyebrows and smiled.

“Go on?”

Obsidian wasn’t sure where this was going, but from the looks of the trio, it might prove to be interesting.

“Practices, most people would find distasteful.”

The young woman was college age, but probably wasn’t attending college. Then, she saw the needle marks on the girl’s arms, and her eyes narrowed.

“You’re talking about blood rituals.”

Obsidian’s words were quiet, frank, and despite the obvious, almost cognitive on a higher plane in the eyes of the trio.

“How … Yes, that is exactly what we are talking about.”

The other two woman just gaped in awe. They were amazed that Obsidian knew what had been unsaid, and they were amazed that their friend was standing up to such a High Priestess.

“I can reveal certain secrets, but first, you must pass some tests to prove you understand discretion, motivation, and focus.”

Obsidian stared at them, each in their own turn, then returned her gaze to the leader of the little pack.

“I think we can handle your challenges.”

This leader felt herself strong and resilient, but her inner drive blinded her, making Obsidian’s manipulations all too easy, and where the leader went, the two sheep were sure to follow.

“They aren’t my challenges, they are the challenges of the Goddess. Now, come back tomorrow night. We shall see what becomes of you three.”

Obsidian turned and left the trio to chatter among themselves. They were weak, but that’s just what Obsidian needed.