Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

Secrets of Below

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
    R
    Robert Longstreet

Both of the other Haunts seemed reserved. Sure, he had a sample of it in Alice features when she was Acknowledging him, and it's not like he didn't meet enough cold mo-fos back in his day, but it was still weird for them to present a gaping hole where emotions must've been. Although he did notice a small movement on the Burned Man's face that might've been his idea of a smile, but it waned even quicker than it appeared. He also noticed that the formality went only one way. She called him by name, in a warm fashion (well, warmer than she usually is), but he responded by naming her title.

This relationship was getting confusing.

Not as confusing as the casual handover of the Dark Temple spot, though. hart didn't seem like the charitable sort, above defiling it to place a Crone chapel. It could only be attributed to some long game of yet unknown nature, and... wait, what did you say?

"Brother, there's no need to be formal like that. We are not at Court, just three Haunts meeting in their shared home. You can call me by name or address me for what I am - your brother, for we are all equal in the eyes of God." Recognizing that the subject might be a little bit uncomfortable in the presence of the Priestess, he changes it quickly

"And yes, I look forward to an opportunity to make the Dark temple usable. I hope we can do it soon, and then move on to repairing and expanding other things, if need be."

"But first, I'd like to know more about Bishop Gilroy. Did you know him well? Why did he leave?"

If there is a place in the room where the three of them can sit facing each other, he gestures towards it, suggesting they take a seat there.

Presence
    (Disquieting)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks
    (Pale Wraith)
    Alice Hart

Baddacelli
    Acolyte and Valkyrja of the Circle of the Crone
    Danger Sense ●
    Status; City ●●●, Clan ●●, Cov ●●

Lyssa Wolfe. Ghoul

Curse

Past her Albinism, Alice is naught but a doll, beautiful in her impossible perfection. Taking on a inescapable sheen of artifice, both movements and manner seem, hollow and fake. She's nothing but a marionette, limbs jerking and twisting as if pulled by invisible strings.

Marring her unnatural beauty are her eyes, or the lack of them, vacant pits of visceral horror.
    Stats

OCC
    +1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

A hint of warmth gone before untrained ears could detect, Alice's keen ears are well trained, and she knows Robert and his emotions better then anyone else.

"You're both free to make it work. Please...Robert, you remember how Gilroy had it, it was beautiful." The wax, the water the candles ever flickering. More memories, but ones that couldn't be replaced by the face of whats to come, though of course she wishes that they rebuild what once was there. She'd spent many nights just stilling there and looking at the alter, when she'd just been questing, and questioning her faith.

The thuggish aura'd haunt speaks with Robert, far warmer then he dose her, and Alice heaves an internal sigh. So much for the Blood conquering their Covenants.

"I'd like to think I knew him well. He was the second person I really spoke with when I arrived. Priscus of Haunts, and Bishop both. It wasn't long until the Prince made him Regent of the Underground, and his Seneschal. Gilroy's affliction wasn't pleasant, none of ours are, but it was very surprising that anyone could overlook it and set him so high." the High Worm, the twitching, quivering insect that you just wanted to crush underfoot. "It just proved how...dynamic, persuasive and intelligent he was. He was a visionary, supportive. He had a plan, and was subtle in enacting it..." Alice realized that she hadn't really been explaining, more like she'd babbled out a string of words.

She might have thought of Gilroy frequently, but she'd never really spoken of him since his leaving, nor had anyone ever asked her about the Fanged Worm.

"He just left. Gone. I assumed that he was called away by his sire, but I don't know for sure. It happens frequently in the Domain, if you stay long enough, you will see it for yourself." Though until she saw it happen time, and time again, Alice hadn't believed these words Gilroy had spoken to her.
    Health: | Willpower: | Vitae: | Mimetismo 1: Certain Sounds Active

3. Likes unlimited sink liked this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

"Yes," Cross replies to Longstreet. For a moment, there's an odd look on the Burned Man's face as his fellow Sanctified reminds him of their shared Faith, of their equality in damnation before God. A mixture of happiness, mistrust, and hunger. He wants to share his devotion with Longstreet, he hungers for that kind of connection, but he's cautious by nature, something that's only been enhanced by his time among the Dead. "Yes, of course, Brother." With that, the wash of emotions that play across his horribly scarred face resolve into a brief, yet warm, smile of thanks.

To Alice now: "I do. Remember." Those three words. They are the tip of an emotional iceberg, only hinting at how much Gilroy's guidance still means to him. And perhaps how much Cross resents the Fanged Worm for leaving. Because if he hadn't, Cross might've stayed himself. Wouldn't have had to leave to seek spiritual succor elsewhere. "We will rebuild it, then." A note of determination creeping into his voice.

At this moment, Cross wants nothing more than to reach out, wrap Alice in his arms. Instead, he asks, "Would you like to sit, Alice?" If she does, he will place a hand gently on her shoulder, guiding her over to a concrete bench. Relishing the excuse to touch her.

He picks up where she's left off, describing Gilroy. "He was firm, at times harsh. Never without cause, though." An image of Gilroy's eyes the night he'd banished Cross from court floats to the surface of his memory.

"And he managed to consolidate power for the Family without threatening other actors in the domain. You have to understand how unprecedented this place, and the efforts of our Family, were. It could easily have been taken as a threat. Even to the Prince himself." More memories, this time of the night Gilroy had accepted his request to join the Church. And explained his, at the time, baffling political maneuvers in the Domain.

"He was a stabilizing force. A center for the Family's development. He showed us that, beyond politics and beyond creed, the Blood binds us. And that there's power in that bond."

And then he left.

5. Likes liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

Look at that, the Burned Man's temperature has risen an inch above absolute zero. Sure, it was only for a moment, but there could be no mistaking it for anything else - he was relieved that Longstreet wasn't acting like an asshole with a mitre, letting everybody in the room know how high of an opinion he has about himself. He, however, believed in some semblance of equality. Plus, he was certain that an abuse of (mostly imaginary) power paired with a moment of weakness in the future means being ashed.

If everyone is sitting, he is too, listening to both Haunts recalling the previous Bishop. Quite a lot of titles for one man. It's gonna be hard for Longstreet to be compared to his predecessor. The expression on his face was thoughtful, a bit worried even.

"Bishop Gilroy must've been a wise man, then, to achieve so much. And Prince Clarke too, if he was able to see past the deformity and notice merit."

The lights around them blinked for a fraction of second.

"He was right. The other Clans fear us, because they see themselves, only without the lies and make-up they put on their faces every night. We are the ugly truth. We are all monsters, but the Nosferatu are outsiders amongst outsiders, so it's important for us to support each other. That's how it used to be and that's how it will be, if I have any say in the matter."

"You said it could've been taken as a threat, a danger to balance. Was it? The Prince clearly allows us to be here, but was... or is there anyone else in the Domain who might hold the existence of this place against our Family? Perhaps building something akin to it for themselves?"

Presence
    (Disquieting)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks
    (Pale Wraith)
    Alice Hart

Baddacelli
    Danger Sense ●

Lyssa Wolfe. Ghoul

Curse

Past her Albinism, Alice is naught but a doll, beautiful in her impossible perfection. Taking on a inescapable sheen of artifice, both movements and manner seem, hollow and fake. She's nothing but a marionette, limbs jerking and twisting as if pulled by invisible strings.

Marring her unnatural beauty are her eyes, or the lack of them, vacant pits of visceral horror.
    Stats

OCC
    +1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

A smooth inhuman nod. Even if the Dark Temple wasn't going to dedicated to her faith, it was a pleasant feeling to know that it will be rebuilt.

One step closer to what they once were.

(it had nothing to do with how she didn't want to argue, didn't want to cause the Wraith to thrash anymore then it already was)

"Yes," says the Doll. Robert hand finds her shoulder, leading her towards one of the benches, even if they both knew she didn't need the guide. She moves a tad slower then she normally would, a movement longer for Robert's scarred hand to press against her shoulder. She sits.

"Ah, there was. Or at least I think there were. When we were strong, many envied us. Enough to wish us ill. Or more so then normal. But as our Family has changes, so too have the other Clans. The Prince...I don't think he was behind any of it, because he dislikes us. But a kindred grows bored easily, it could have been a whispered mussing, that another took as an order...or it could have been the Gangrel. A women, Katya was removed from office, while Gillroy took her place, as Seneschal. Shortly after that there was a disaster of a Clan meeting. Two died and the Priscus wanted to cover it up - the current Reeve brought it all to the then Reeve's attention. It ended in a Blood Hunt...but the Priscus fled. Shortly after this, and the firebombing of the Crone Farm, Katya disappeared too."

A strings pulled shrug, "I've been trying to appear competent, and strong so if-when more haunts came we wouldn't be thought of as a target again. But..." she trails off. "I could be completely off."

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Longstreet's stated understanding of their Family's condition and standing among the Damned is attended to closely by Cross. What he hears is met with approval on the part of the Burned Man, something a slight nod of his head signals. Yes, the Bishop is saying the right things. Perhaps he does understand the importance of their solidarity. Despite above ground differences.

Cross stays quiet while Alice unfolds the troubling events surrounding the Gangrel and the Crone Farm. And then adds: "With the Damned, there's always a reason to be suspicious. And always someone to be suspicious of. I'm not sure who Gilroy feared most. Not sure there was anyone to fear specifically. But the Regent was always thinking ahead. And I don't think he was wrong to be concerned about perceptions of our...strength within the domain."

He pauses, seeming to think. "Anyway, those nights seem like a long time ago now." A rueful smile creases his scarred face.

Alice's admission of her efforts at keeping the appearance of the clan strong makes Cross feel pride, and sadness. She's had to carry it all on her own. Not anymore, though. "You're doing what you can. And doing it well," he replies to the Blind Doll before turning to Longstreet.

"But let's talk about you, Brother. What brings you to Sacramento? And what are your plans, now that you're here?" Direct as always.

9. Likes liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

It seems the other Haunts were growing a little more accustomed to his presence. he wouldn't call it "trust" - as Cross rightfully pointed out, there's always someone to be suspicious of in the world of the Damned - but at least they wouldn't jump at the first opportunity to ash him. Or so he hoped. The tale of the Seneschal was very interesting, and spoke of a Domain that was always fluctuating. Some depart, some arrive. Good. Right now, if the odds of him rebuilding Sanctified presence here could shift, they could do so only in his favor. Assuming he's gonna make it that far.

He is relieved to hear that the Family has no specific enemies as of now, but if this Katya has left the domain witha possible grudge, she could always return. Best to keep the radar on.

"I came here on the orders of the Bishop of San Diego. He and the other Bishops of California were concerned that the presence of the Church Eternal waned in the city, and have tasked me with... assessing the situation and establishing a sanctuary." He wondered if Alice will take this news as a challenge.

"I've already heard of the Moore House, which makes the work that much easier. But we still need resources to accomplish this task. I've managed to establish a small following of mortal wretches, but it's still far from ideal" He hoped the hatchet with the Crone stays buried, so that Hart won't hamper these efforts. A glimmer of hope was the fact that the Stormcrow left as quickly as she appeared.

"The grounds and followers of the Crone are not to be harmed, however. There's enough space and people for us both to flourish, and our enemies would like nothing more than us squabbling over turf, while they'd undermine our very existence. Furthermore, I assure you, Seneschal, that although I hope for brother Cross' help in my efforts, I will never ask him to choose between his faith and his Domain. Like I've told you earlier, the Church cares deeply about Sacramento, which makes it my personal concern that it stays safe and... well-fed."

Presence
    (Disquieting)
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks
    (Pale Wraith)
    Alice Hart

Baddacelli
    Danger Sense ●

Lyssa Wolfe. Ghoul

Curse

Stats

OCC
    +1
    SL
    NOS
    PRE

The Doll nods, a mockery of wistfulness cast upon her features. "Isn't to strange to think about, that back then neither of us claimed any Covenant?"

Alice wonders how Longstreet will take that information, he'd already known Robert was a new initiate of the Lancea Sanctum, but how would he take the Domain's High Priestess being such with not even a year spent within the Circle.

Another nod, smoothly inhuman as always, every soul, every Covenant deserved a stronghold, a place where they were safe and could flourish. Internally she cursed herself out once more. The Crone Farm still lay in ruins. Maybe Scylla had seen it, and decided that the Crone had abandoned this place, and it wasn't worth resurrecting.

"We know we're monsters. We'll live with that forever. Nobody likes to be reminded that we're all just monsters, and they don't like to think of the monsters that can't or won't hide as anything but wretches. They like it even less when we don't appear pitiful, but strong and united." it was alluded to, but Alice decided to simply speak plainly, at least about this. Maybe in time Longstreet would know her well enough not to need her to outline her thoughts, but clearly their relationship was too new. "Which is one of the reasons I was so antagonistic at Court." If the thuggish aura'd haunt was smart, and observant, or just stayed around long enough, he'd learn just why upon hearing his name her mood and treatment of him soured. "I do not want us to appear cohesive. Our different in Covenants is a perfict excuse, but I honestly believe that we can exist together, without coming into conflict." the more sincere she tried to be, the less real and trust worthy she appeared. "So it is a relief to hear that you're not...that your belief is the same."

12. Likes unlimited sink liked this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

On the orders of the Bishops of California? It's not like Cross had the ear of the Bishop back in LA, but he hadn't heard of this development. Did Paul know about this? Maybe Cross could find out, if the Priest would ever answer his calls.

Still, it's a comfort to know that the covenant's powers-that-be have their eyes on Sacramento. Maybe it would work in Cross's favor as well, help smooth over his sudden departure from LA to return to the city. To Her.

It's also good to hear that Longstreet has no intention of starting a war with the Circle. Cross can't even consider where he would come down in that case. Though he has an idea. As if drawn, his eyes move from the Bishop to Alice. And then back to Longstreet. "You will have my help." Except for one thing.

His gaze drifts to Alice again as she speaks. Again, the feelings of pride and wonder at how she's changed, stepped up to her task. She's thinking in that way that Gilroy could, considering factors that Cross rarely does.

"I know we can exist together. We have to. If we're going to survive." A beat. "And, after all, we're united not only by our Blood, but by belief. We may not believe in the same things, but we know it is important to believe." This is straight out of the mouth of Paul the Priest: Give me a believer, even a Pagan, over an atheist. At least the Witches are asking the right questions. Even if they get the answers wrong.

14. Likes liked this post
    R
    Robert Longstreet

"Glad to hear it." It was good to have someone like Cross on his side, at least in that regard. The man knew the Domain well, was clearly capable and, although he wasn't a typical neophyte, as a new convert he will likely try to prove himself - or stick around the Covenant for long enough to find the answers he wants. Which could be a long time indeed.

"Smart move."
    was a comment to Alice's explanation of her behavior at Court. Events like these were all about appearances, and if they needed to appear conflicted and bitter to turn their enemies gaze away, so be it. Although there was something in her voice and movement that was slightly off, like a subtle false note in an otherwise perfect piece of music, all the more noticeable because of how isolated it was. From the night he met her, she seemed to be slightly further apart from her human self than other Damned here, even more so than Longstreet.

"Wait, what?" He was honestly puzzled. How could she rise through the ranks so quickly? Perhaps it was just like with him, automatic assumption of the highest Covenant office because there is simply no one else to hold it. "So, you've also recently found your answers... even if different than ours. Had the followers of the Crone also moved on from Sacramento? I suppose the loss of your sanctuary must've been a hard hit. Speaking of that, did you ever learn who was behind it?"

To Cross again: "Precisely. We know there's more to this world, to us, than meets the eye. Where the Order of the Dragon is concerned with the how, we are seeking for the why. To some, different answers are reason enough to start hunting. But I have a feeling we will accomplish great things together."

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last
Closed Thread