Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

(ES1704) A Court without a Crown

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
    A
    Alexander Brown

"Yes, exactly." Alexander replied to Green's question "I've decided to take a more... active role in our community" He was about to offer to get the Elemental his beer and gather drink orders from everyone else, but since Lucian did it first... he was a little surprised at the mention of a kiss, but had enough sense to just chuckle in response, taking it as a joke. "Red wine, if you please" he answered to the fae-goth's question. He was anxious to hear what Malcolm had to say - he was starved for freehold news, which became more than apparent because of his faux-pas misremembering Morgan's title.

Turning to the angelic Spring Courtier, he replied: "Of course, <<Alexander>> is fine, Sera. In fact, why don't you just lift the veil of formality and call me Alex?" That was directed towards the entire group, but something felt awkward "I hope I will do better than this previous Alex you mentioned. Do you know where or why he left? And I can't say I've ever heard about this Mistress of Ink. Seems like I've missed a lot." A lot of 'ifs' and question marks. Alexander hopes he doesn't appear too suspicious. It was clear that the Dread Queen took him as a spy, maybe even a spy for the Others. He wondered if he noticed the suspicion because of his own perceptiveness or because she wanted him to notice it.

"That's a wonderful idea. I'd love to visit the Blue Note soon, I'm sure we can work out the details together with you and Lucian, now can't we?" that was for Sasha. He could definitely use some talk with the Onyx Sovereign, get the feel of things.

"I do apologize for the misinformation, Paladin, and congratulate you on your promotion. Like I said, there is a lot I need to catch up on."
    Morgan was probably amused/confused at this formal style, but still, it needed to be said.

Finally, the Summer Ogre spoke, and there was wisdom in her words. He pondered that being too enthusiastic about being pledged might do nothing to alleviate the concerns of those present, in fact it might do the opposite. So... "I have to agree. Maybe we could seal this fine evening with a pledge, and for now we could just exchange words and enjoy the marvelous food and drinks provided by our most generous hostess"

Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green turns his attention once more to Cynthia. He grunts. "Thats fair I guess." He turned to Cosette as well. "Uh. Yeah. OK." He was at a table anyway.

The mountainous Elemental didn't really mind who bought him the beer so long as he got one in his rough hewn fist. Once he did, and had taken a goodly quaff of the beverage, he continued.

"Uh. Yeah. I'd say you missed a lot... Um. Alex. See, we here have a Dragon problem. Baron Fairweather they call him. Goes back years now, yeah? Don't know why he came to these parts. Only that he did and made himself an enemy of this 'Hold. He's stolen our meeting places more than once... That there Blue Note stands on the sight of the Empty Orchestra which was once one of our places. Dragon took it; we took it back. Winter's place now."

He paused to glare at no one in particular.

"He attacked the heart of the 'Hold in broad daylight. That was then the old hotel, Four Seasons, yeah? The mundy folk say it was a horrible accident involving a gas main but we know different. The hotel was heart of the 'Hold and the Old Wyrm took it out with fire. We lost a brace of Freeholder's that day - and a Summer Sovereign... Spartan. The old warrior went down, fighting the Wyrm in single combat. He died." Green added fatalistically.

"The 'Hold nearly fell then and there. The Old Wyrm went to ground: spent, I reckon. We found his lair, where he'd rested up. But by then he'd long gone and fortified it as some base camp shit. He'd made a cult of sorts among the hobs and had them look for some magic books. We'd got one and destroyed it so he couldn't win that... round... whatever."

"Anyways, he's still around. Now he's got mundy agents buying up real estate. Like he's a big town businessman or something. He's bought up the old Four Season's site. Its... Gone. Now. I tried to stop it but, yeah, he really wants it."

Green paused, looking grim.

"They say he has a hand in building some fairground park on the city limits too. And other places. He thinks he can squeeze us out."

"Anyway. Me... And Morgan and Mhairi, I guess. We went to the local Goblin Market to try parlay. We... Kinda did that. Sal don't much like the Old Wyrm herself. So we got our Bargain but the price was steep. We got a year. A year to get this bastard. Take his tongue and heart - for Sal. Price of peace, I guess. Or we are gone... Mhairi and me. We stand surety."

He ended his uncomfortable speech by draining his beer. For all his talk he could have been talking about a local sporting team.

3. Likes liked this post
    L
    Lucian

He just watched as Mhairi seemed strange about the gift, but she did accept it and that's all he could really expect. Maybe it was an Elemental thing. He nodded and smiled before focusing on Sasha. Her presence was a complicated thing for him. A beautiful woman like her, with ties to Winter -- well, it all hit in with the archetype of his own Keeper. That wasn't her fault though and he tried not to let it boil to the surface. "That would be excellent. Before or after a club night? I'm still stoked to see the place in full swing -- gotta take every chance to dust off the fedora, ya know?"

"That'd be awesome, thanks," said in response to Sera's offer to help with the drinks.

Feisty, yet sensible. He had a feeling that he was going to like Cynthia, or at least prefer to be on her good side. He didn't have any of those concerns though. "I've already said as much for being in your corner, Sera. Got nothing against making it official." He held out his elbow for her to take, should she want for their trip to the bar, "But let's have a little Spring talk."

He'd have preferred his pitch to be between the two of them but it was dependent on if Sera wanted it all done in front of the group or not. He would say it regardless. He wasn't about to be ashamed of his desires, not with Spring already limping along. "I'll be honest with you, I'm jonesing something fierce here." He'd managed to keep it more or less under check but he was beginning to shift more regularly from foot to foot with the growing itch. "The move and getting settled in has wrecked my extra curriculars." Not exactly true but he didn't get a fix before this at least.

"Help me fulfill a desire and maybe I can help you do the same? Seems important now more than ever. I vow to aid you, Seraphina, in anything you require, barring risk of death, let's not get crazy, until the season has come to its end. If you will grant me just a pinch of Glamour now, let yourself find skill and blessings that will most aid your desires. If it is to be broken, you'll find it returned or the gifts soured. Deal?" Ready to seal the vow into good faith and the Wyrd, he could only keep fingers crossed that Seraphina would be accommodating. He was aware such a request was unorthodox, but hoped perhaps their Spring bond would help soften it.

However it went, once either sealed or concessions made, he'd make his way to the bar and collect the requested drinks, picking up a scotch on the rocks for himself, before returning to hand them out and hear Green's overview. "If he's got groupies maybe there's some less physical investigation to be done. See what any of them might spill for an edge." That would be the best Lucian could offer anyway. He bought all his tongues and hearts pre-removed.

Vow of Good Intent ; Glamour to Blessings

OOC:

S
    Sasha

She smiled to the Summer Darkling. "Please, call me Sasha, unless a situation calls for formality. You may hear people refer to me as L'aire around the Freehold. I do go by both, but Sasha is my name to the outside world." For a moment, she pondered what Lucian requested. "Yes, how about <date>*? It's a Saturday and its usually busier than normal. But keep in mind Lucian and Alexander, we'll need to keep our conversations veiled."

And there was good reason, as Green had just mentioned. As the Mountain spoke of Fairweather, Sasha was glad the chill was masked at for the time being. Their place was taken over by the Dragon once before, she'd not let it go that way again. So far, loyalists or Fae hadn't been in since Katrin had taken it over. Neither she nor Green would let it happen either.

But the talks should be of Spring and happy things. Not darkened memories, at least right now. The Fairest wouldn't scold Green about his warning, it was best those who were new heard it and heed it well.

ooc*

Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Defense: 3 +1
    Heath: Willpower
    Glamour:

House Call
    Defense: 3 +1
    Heath: Willpower
    Glamour:
    HS Choker+1 Defense, -1g. Sparation3 -1g

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

"Cute places with awesome finds are the best, I'm working on maybe, getting my own place set up." she says to Sasha. But the Wisp knows that a loooong way off yet.

A look full of concern is given to Morgan, "If you're sure..."

Of course her suggestion wasn't warmly received, but she knew they missed the point there the one they'd swear to would protect them in return. "The terms I laid out aren't anything you wouldn't be swearing if Spring had a Sovereign and you would be swearing the proper Freehold Oath. In fact, I'm asking for less, but the Freehold Pledge is usually held at the middle, towards the end of the evening, so I suppose the Pledge I proposed could wait. But, you will swear to one of the members of the Freehold before you leave. If you don't. We will know that there's something in the vow that you don't want to uphold...or...Or, there's some wrong about you, and the other Alliances you keep." Mhairi's words were harsh and final. She's Sworn that she'd protect this Freehold, and letting unsworn lings running around where they could run rampant wasn't something that screamed of keeping her home safe.

With that said, Mhairi turns her attentions back to the others, and by others she means their host, "Uhhhh...." her voice draws out, of course Dinbrane had. "Sure." what else was she supposed to say? Lets not have an Autumn serve her Queen at at Freehold plus extras wide event...she and Dinbrane would have to have words. Hopefully they'd get around to it around Easter.

Moving towards the lurkglider, as Green starts to speak, the rummbling voice and the few if any inflections dose nothing to make Mhairi forget about the horror of their time in the Flesh Market, in fact his words made it seem less like a nightmare and more like solid as stone fact. Mhairi nods solemnly, but doesn't add anything verbally. Green had spoken and there wasn't really anything for her to add, if they couldn't get the Dragon's muscles that Lady Sal waned then their lives were her's....to be added to her Tree, her Hollow.

When she gets closer to Dinbrane, "Thank you, for-ah-for doing this, you know you don't have too." she whispers to the women, "But uh, since you are...I wouldn't mind something spicy." having Dinbrane acting as a handmaiden type would help her feel more Queen-like, right?

Fell-flames watch as Lucian scoots closer to Sera and try to rework the terms of the Pledge Mhairi had lied out. The Autumn Wisp wonders just what the Nix will do with that.
    Currently Just a Simple Shade Shard~

7. Likes Cayce, West, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    C
    Cynthia Pike

Cynthia's eyes closed and she drew in a deep breath. 'Don't do something stupid', the Ogress told herself, repeating the thought several times in her head. Her hands clenched into shaking fists and her teeth ground together audibly. She tried to contain her anger but she was a warrior of the Court of Wrath. To arrive at a new Freehold only to be greeted by threats and ultimatums were simply too much to be ignored. The gussied up lady turned and walked off as though the matter had been settled. "No."

It didn't matter where she was, she wasn't going to let anyone treat her like some scheming servant of the Gentry. "I didn't come here expecting anyone to throw a fucking parade in my honor, but I'm sure as shit not going to be told to bind myself or else. I get that you have problems here. Sounds like things aren't going so well and I don't want to stir up trouble for no good reason. However, I'm not about to let anyone use some pretense of hospitality to walk all over me."

She pointed a finger at Mhairi before stating, "I challenge you to a duel. Whatever we find to use as weapons, that’s what we’ll use. Whoever is left standing, that’s who wins. If someone breaks up the fight, it’s on them, not us. Bring in extra help, pull out your own weapon, open a gateway, try to cheat any other way, and you’ll never raise a fist again. Let’s go out and settle this."

Dueling Oath - The Back-Alley Brawl

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Cynthia made a valid point. And it was somewhat...relieving that the other Alex didn't have a lot of uptodate information on her. "Nay perspiration heh Alex," she smiled at his apology, "Thine ignorance can be excused. " The smile disappeared as Green recapped the...adventures of the Freehold thanks to Fair Weather. "Bastard wyrm needs to die. " She then let out a defeated sigh, "Aaand my freedom tis nary bid on the wyrm's flesh as I twas a bleeding insentive for Green and Mhairi to accept the bargain. Tis fortune that we hath plans to slay heh him well a'fore a year and a day pass."

She gave a nod to Green and then to Mhairi, "And I shalt stand by my friends in aught they do. The wyrm shalt be laid low. I'll bring a bonesaw with us whence do it. Justice shalt be dealt to heh him. And I'm fine Mhairi, but still thank ye."

Morgan chuckled at Lucain's offer, "A good thought Lucain, heh, we hath several but nary bad to garner more. Heh, could use help with the where and when parts of the plan. And the oaths art not that strict. Ye should nary worry on them"

And then Cynthia made a duel challenge. Morgan gawked at her. Then her eyes bugged out to become even large as she yelps out, "Oh fuck the Hell no! The last duel ended with me pinned to fucking wall by a fucking sword dude!" The panic was getting almost manic in her tone. The motor mouth was kicked into high gear. She held up both arms into an X shape, "No way shalt ye two kill each other over a slight. This tis nary Chicago."

She then sighed and lowered her arms. Before holding them up in a placatory manner. The panic wasn't gone from her voice. And it was quite visible in her wide eyes, but now her tone had taking on a begging quality: "Please please nonviolent way. I shant object to a duel but only without violence. Hell, I'd pay for the fucking drinks if ye wanna make that kinda contest. Seriously, I'll pay for the most expensive stuff we hath here, I'll even pay a tab for ye too, and not void after the day but I'll keep paying. I'll even take part in her stead or your stead, whichever! But please, please, please do not Mhairi put or thyself into that kind of danger. No knife duels. If ye," she looks at Cynthia with wide eyes (like frightened puppy), "insist upon something please please please let it be non-violent."

Morgan didn't hear: bare knuckle boxing until one drops. She was letting her recent experience warp her perceptions. She was genuinely terrified that Mhairi would end up in the same situation she'd been in.1

10. Likes Cayce, , Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Freehold Pledge: Winter
    Allies (Clubs) 1
    Allies (Emergency Services) 1
    Allies (Unions) 3
    Malcolm Green, the Mountain

WP: 4/4
    Health: 10/10
    Giant
    Mantle: Bubble of crisp, cold, air surrounds him. Frost rimes his head and shoulders, tracing icy epaulettes.
    Malcolm Green

Sun Banisher's Oath

(+1 Investigation, +1 Intimidation) - Winter 2016

Freehold Pledge

(+1 Streetwise) - Winter 2016

Dragon's Bane Pledge

(+3 Faerie Favour) - Spring 2017
    Greens Scenes

Dragon Giant|

PRE

Green turned to Lucian, once the Fairest had made his offer.

"Well. Yeah. See... The Old Wyrm's made some comments about buying up as much property in this town as he can. Trouble is, I don't know which pieces of real estate he's got his talon's into. Can't work out a plan without knowing what to hit, if you follow my drift. Don't think I can make the next play - I made the last one. It'd be too obvious."

The mountain might have been about to elaborate but the Ogre's fiery words caught his attention.

"Whut?" This Elemental is all rocks. Sometimes he's a little slow. "Oaths about trust..."

12. Likes , Origins liked this post
    A
    Alexander Brown

Damn, the Dread Queen sounded serious. Not that he could blame her. By what Malcolm told them, this freehold was entitled to some big trust issues. Time to alleviate the situation.

"I assure you, Lady Ankaa, that we didn't want to insult the local hospitality. If anything, we mistakenly assumed that being too eager to swear an oath would be read as suspicious in itself, as being prepared to circumvent it in the future. I want to apologize for this bad judgement and assure you that the sun will not rise to see us unpledged to the safety of this Freehold, if only the Queen of Winter would see fitting to receive my oath."

"Saturday sounds lovely, let's stick with that."* The Onyx Monarch was surprisingly easy-going, a soft snow rather than a blizzard. How 'bout that?

"Mister Green, I think I could be of help. Let me ask around the Building Department at the Hall, I have some friends there who could help put a name to this real estate shopping spree. I should be able to make some inquiries, see what else they bought. I also have a feeling that the pieces of property are not random, the names of previous owners could also tell us something. By the way, I also know a man who knows a man at the builders' union, and.."

Then he heard the grinding of teeth and the challenge, coming out of the Ogress mouth, to no one else but the Queen of Autumn. Shit. Shit, shit, shit. The storm of fire is the last thing they needed, especially with both of them being new to the city. Thankfully, Bellanar stepped in.

"I have to agree with Paladin Bellanar. There's no need for violence, for Wrath is a tool to be used, not a goal to be achieved. The Sun scorches those of impure heart, but provides ample harvest for the honest and hospitable, and I have no doubt Lady Ankaa is of the latter category. We have a dragon to slay, that's the real enemy, let's focus on it."

*OOC

L
    Lucian

Lucian returned Sasha's offer with a thin smile and nod, "Innuendo and Jazz sounds like a great night. I'll be there." He swirled the scotch in the ice for a moment before taking a sip.

He gave Sera room to consider the pledge all the same. He did smile back to Morgan with her reassurance. "Sweet, I'll take every hint I can get at the slang 101 course I'm totally ready for." He didn't actually trust that kind of thing, casual pledges, but he'd leave room for a dream that he didn't need to worry about entrapment from any of them. He took another mouthful of scotch.

Alexander seemed to have the high brow route covered, "Sounds like you'll have the best bet for getting names, Alexander. If you want help covering the leads, let me know. I'll ask around with some of the -- I think of them as free spirits. But real estate isn't upright at its best, I'm guessing Agent Croc isn't against 'convincing' people to sell to him. See if there's anything the people I do know have heard going on."

Then Cynthia dropped all the microphones. He was equal parts horrified and delighted. He thought Mhairi was actually pretty nice and being a Queen in a freehold under attack, while also facing a broken cycle -- well, he'd be a bit edgy too. But boy, did he love a good honor brawl. He didn't seriously believe that Mhairi would agree to such a thing but hot damn, if she did. Screw picking a Sovereign, he's placing bets. Morgan rushed in and spoiled it. In the best way, of course. He was genuinely touched by the expression of care for her friend, and Queen, even letting his face reflect it.

Well, maybe he could help convince Sera to help him with that bump if he put on a good show for Spring in the meantime. He set down his drink. "To be fair to Cynthia, a duel for honor is not violence. It is sport. I wouldn't color her words with bad intent, even so heated. Though, Cynthia, please don't for any of us either. Mhairi and Sera were kind to me, as everyone has been tonight, another transplant without any oath, welcoming me when I had first arrived. This was the time when the formalities and security check were supposed to be taken care of -- and my court, Spring, is without Sovereign. People are on edge. Let me apologize, on behalf of Spring. Neither of you should have ended up in this position, it should have been my court Sovereign handling things." He then grinned, flicking the tip of his pointed tongue against a sharp canine, "Will say I would have loved to see a match so if you can find a taker, make it happen."

He turned to the group, addressing as many as he could without actually getting on a stage. His flat affect and even tone laid like a dark veil over his happily buzzed words. "Which, and while I do love some Summer heat, victory talk is a bit premature when there's no nation to defend. The Equinox passed, the Spring crown has not appeared, the cycle is currently broken." Said dry and without worry or particular praise. "They, dragon or whatever, will always win if we keep the barn doors swung open like is. So," he walked slowly over to his drink and picked it up.

He raised it up, "I propose, as a member of the court in need, that we treat this as the revel it should be. The first, I think, should be to honor Winter. It isn't easy being this green, but hearing that you beat back the Wyrm's advance with the Blue Note should be celebrated." He bowed in front of Queen L'aire, arm behind his back, single foot poised on the tip of his shoes, drink behind his back. As he came up he took the drink. Someone had to do it and yes, the booze was helping. He hoped Mhairi wasn't stingy with that server.

Page 3 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Last
Closed Thread