Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

As Summer Waves Goodbye

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    L

So Morgan didn't feel like she was ready to wear a crown now either. That was about what he'd expected her to say. Nathan wasn't ready either, which Rick certainly hoped that the Hunterheart recognized. So his musings as he'd entered this place had been correct, it seemed. The question was whether or not he'd have to step up for the good of the court.

And it looked like the answer to that would end up being yes.

"Ava seemed to be pretty tight with Ramona, too." Rick shrugs, it wasn't something that had ever concerned him the slightest. "No one minded that.

"I suppose I hadn't quite considered how current positions might have to be shuffled around." He shrugs slightly, "It's not like there's been a ton of time to ponder it all since Ava's left, I suppose. But they are all positions that've been empty at some point or another. In truth, I tend to value them more as a way to help a courtier understand and depend their connection with the season than as critical roles that absolutely have to be filled. There's only one seat that the court has to ensure doesn't remain empty." And that was the one they were all here about.

Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

"Well, Morgan, can't say I'm not digging the idea of the Autumn Queen hanging from the ceiling," he smiled, "but I get your point."

Mhairi's (if he had heard Morgan right) question amused him greatly. "Well, the only way I could sit on the throne is if all three of you also decided to leave town all of a sudden. You ain't going to, right?" there was an edge to the question that made it sound almost threatening, as if there was an implied don't you dare at the end of it.

"I thought that was all settled?" he asked Rick. "I'm not gonna be king. These two don't want to be queens. That leaves only you. And frankly, you're the best qualified for it. No offense, guys," he added, addressing Morgan and Mhairi.

3. Likes West liked this post
    L

Well, Rick couldn't say that Nathan was wrong. It did pretty much seem to be settled. He just couldn't help but think that crowning himself King would be a bit...arrogant. Which certainly wasn't an impression he wanted to give, or a precedent he wanted to set. That caution, he supposed, likely had its roots in Patrick's unexpectedly vehement reaction when he'd been crowned the first time around. Unfounded accusations of tyranny, as it turned out, could rankle someone for a long time.

So he shrugs slightly as Nathan mentions that he thought it was settled. "I'd hate to be presumptuous."

Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Defense: 3 +1
    Heath: Willpower
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:
    HS Choker+1 Defense, -1g. Sparation3 -1g

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

"Be Presumptuous." is the first thing out of Mhairi's mouth. Which leads to the elemental blinking, and hiding behind her hair. "Ah...sorry that-ah-that might have-ah sounded...." she trails off.

Then she looks at Nathan and gives her kith cousin a serious answer. "Not-ah-not in the-er-books! As in no plans. Of leaving. I mean I-ah have no plans of-ah leaving." is babbled.

"So-ah...it's-ah decided? Rick Pereg the Dread King of-ah-Autumn....and-ah all the-uh-other tittles that-ah go with it?" the question is asked of the room, but Mhairi's fairly certain that it's a done deal.

"Nathan! Are-ah-are you gonna do what you were gonna do for-ah Ava...but-for-ah Rick? Or are you gonna need another job?" there were many roles within Autumn with no one attached to them. "Since-ah-since I'm-ah-a-assuming that we're-ah-a gonna stick with what we've got. Morgan's the Lady Scrivener, and I'm-ah the Twilit Page....who's-ah lookin' to-ah move up in the world. When I'm-ah ready. That is. When I'm ready. To-uh-the-er-The Witch of the Bitter Winds." there she said it. Out loud. In front of all the rest of Autumn. This time Mhairi doesn't duck her head, she really wants this. It's why she joined up with Autumn. The Knowledge. The Fear. The both of 'em together.
    Currently Just a Simple Shade Shard~

6. Likes Lesingnon, West liked this post
    L

"Okay, okay...though I suppose it wouldn't be presumptuous anymore anyway." Both Mhairi and Nathan had made their opinions on the matter perfectly clear now. And he couldn't help but agree with Nathan, he probably was the best qualified for it. It probably was what was best for the court...so that was three, at the very least. Out of four.

"Rick Pereg, Sovereign of Autumn, Dread Lord, Witch King...though not of Angmar, etc. etc." Once more, Rick Pereg felt the crown's leaden weight settle onto his brow.

"You set your eyes on power, authority, titles…and gained them all. Just like us. Not that it’s a surprise, it’s who I made you into."

He pushed that memory from his mind. As far as he was concerned that mockery of a woman could shut right the fuck up with her opinions. Even if they had been offered years ago.

She wasn't a concern of his now. The court was. His court, he supposed. And at least a portion of it, he was pleased to see, was willing to step forward and take initiative. Goals, an eye to the future, he'd had an inkling that Mhairi had a bright future ahead of her. He'd felt more certain of that after Ava had appointed her as the Twilit Page. And now he was seeing it for himself. "I have no intention of stripping anyone's titles from them. And the Witch of Bitter Winds is a worthy goal, no one ever attains it without the drive to delve deep into occult knowledge." And Mhairi did, it seemed, possess that drive. "It's also the title that Betony Rue held for years, before she took the crown."

"And if you ever want help studying up on that stuff give me a call and I can help."
    He supposed, that since Betony Rue and Ava were both gone now, he almost certainly knew more of the occult than anybody else in the Freehold.

He glanced curiously at Nathan, though, Mhairi's appointment he'd known about. But he wasn't sure what arrangement the Hunterheart had with Ava.

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

Morgan nodded along to Mhairi, agreeing with her fellow Autumns opinion on her fears, "Shant criticize ye for that," and then her shoulders slumped as Ava was brought up. The Scrivener shook her head, "Nay, I hath heard naught from Ava. Imma sorry to say." Not exactly comforting. She let out a snort of amusement at the much more comforting confirmation by Rick about political intrigue being a minimal concern. Her eyebrows rose as Rick made a very good point, "Ah, heh, I suppose tis truth. All courts hath to have a ruler. Other offices are, heh, just delegating things, heh. Good point Rick, heh...so if the Wyrd chases be with the crown-circle-thingie I shant hath to worry over the archives, heh."

Less pleasing was that it took away a second excuse Morgan was hoping to use to reinforce how bad it'd be for her to be the Queen.

And Nathan sounded worried. Morgan instantly turned to Nathan, brought up both her arms into an "X" as Mhairi gave her own ansers, blurting out: "NAY!" then she lowered her arms, "I hath no intent to depart nor anyplace else, heh, to go anyway." She then raised a hand and waved off Nathan's comment, "Oh, heh, none taken."

Morgan tilted her head in thought, "Mayhaps a vote? To select whom we shalt promote? Tis clear Mhairi votes for Rick, and I guess ye," she pointed to Rick, "art my pick. Oh, heh, I think Ramona could make ye the outfit to match Angmar," she tilted her head and scratched the left side, grimacing, "Yet I am wary of seeking a nazghul for ye to ride...feels folly to me."

"Yay on no office swap, heh. I may not hold the sharpest," she used her left hand as a fist to wrap against the side of her head, "mind but I find research quantity hath a quality too, heh." She gave Mhairi a speculative looking, looking her up and down as she declared her intent to become the next master of magics in the Freehold. Morgan closed her eyes picturing the previous Witch and shuddered. "Well good for ye to hath a goal, heh, Mhairi. If ye studies of magic need the archives, heh, I shalt do all I can to assit ye in thine path. Oh, if ye art intent upon mastering a plethora of Contracts I'd, heh, suggest Hearth." The Beast flushed as she let out a nervous laugh,"I found Favored Fate to be, heh, useful for, uh...cheating. On research or knife throwing bets, heh."

9. Likes West, liked this post
    Nathan Griffin
    Nathan Griffin

To human eyes he looks slightly taller than average, with a lean, athletic build. His brown skin gives away his Mohawk ancestry, complementing his equally brown eyes and dark hair. He displays a military-styled haircut, shorter to the sides, and sports a few scars across his body and a particularly visible one in the form of claw marks across his face and neck. A very intense scent of forest, a mixing of pine needles, tree sap, and animal fur, characterizes him.
    Mien

Those who can see through the Mask observe black-and-white feathers to the sides of his face, that fuse seamlessly with his skin and hairline and close to his golden eyes. His teeth are unusually sharp, displaying fangs that are hard to categorize as belonging to a specific predator, although they most closely resemble a wolf's or some other canine's.

+1
    SL
    PRE

So it was decided then. "Autumn is almost here, and there aren't many of us left," he said, in an unusually quiet manner. "We'll have a lot in our hands, that's for sure." Morgan and Rick had been in Sacramento when he arrived, but so many others were gone. It was strange and discomforting, the idea that he was part of the old guard.

Mhairi's question got his attention, even more so when it drew a glance from Rick. Yes, that would have to be settled. "I don't know," he shrugged. "Maybe our newfound monarch's got a better idea. Not sure how much good a Paladin of Shadows could do now. And I never held the position; it was just offered to me. Ms. Campbell told me she would get back to me on it and, well..." another shrug.

Ambition had never been a flaw of his, but he felt an instinctive thirst for progression, or rather for fruitful activity, that had been much stifled by his more primal side. So he jumped at the chance offered by Morgan's suggestion. "I am... somewhat familiar with Hearth Contracts," he turned to Mhairi. "We could help each other out, if you wish."

11. Likes Origins, Yumyumcrow, liked this post
    Presence
    (Quiet Confidence)
    Striking Looks
    (Mesmerizing Eyes)
    Autumn's Regalia
    (Autumn Mantle)
    Fashion
    (Contacts, Status)
    Mhairi Ankaa

Mask

A slim girl, with raven black hair and grey-blue eyes. She likes wearing silver nail polish.
    Mien

Her skin; like moonlight captured. Quicksilver drips from her fingers, burning up before it lands. Motes of fell fire escape her eyes. In her hair, a galaxy, forming constellations which mimic the sky, changing with the Seasons.
    Mantle

Fear made manifest, Autumn's Regalia embraces the Wisp, as if she is Dread's most blessed daughter.
    Pledges & Other Things

Pledges

Autumn Queen Oath

Plot Stats

Fairy Floss
    Glamour:

House Call
    Glamour:
    HS Choker+1 Defense, -1g. Sparation3 -1g

+1
    SL
    PRE

Wyrd
    •••
    Ask-wee-da-eed Telluric

Mhairi nods a relived smile blooming, knowing that Rick would take up the crown and that he had no intention of striping her or Morgan of their tittles. Mhairi blinks when she hears that tidbit about the former Queen. "Really? Huh..." And very one she'd spoken to of Betony Rue said that she was terrifying. "Well-I-ah guess I gotta lot to-ah live up to!"

"Is-ah-is there anything within Autumn you-ah-you wanna do?" Mhairi asks Nathan.

Then the offers of teaching and contract help came in. "Thank-ah-thank you! I-ah mean it! Mhairi beams. "And I'll-ah take you up on that sometime!" she says to Rick, Then to Morgan and Nathan, "Oh! Hearth! I-ah have Fickle Fat figured out, but-ah-not-a the other clauses." Mhairi admits. "I'd-ah love some help! We-ah-we could do-ah contract party!" it sounded like a great deal of fun to Mhairi.

"But-ah...since our-ah monarch problem's been taken care of - thanks Rick! - what-ah do you folks wanna do for-ah-the-er....coronation. Since-ah we're all-ah here..." fell-flames sweep the room.
    Currently Just a Simple Shade Shard~

13. Likes Gwydden, Origins, Yumyumcrow liked this post
    L

"Well...I don't think that kind of armor would be quite my style." Perhaps it would match with the whole fear theme of armor pretty well, but he didn't even want to think about clanking and sweating his way through the Hedge in that getup.

That observation by Nathan was absolutely spot on "You're absolutely right, we do have a lot on our hands. The same amount as we always have, despite our dwindling numbers. So those of us who are left need to step up even more, challenge ourselves, seek to grow. And I've long felt that the most valuable thing about court positions is that it encourages people to grow and reach their potential. So...are you ready to step up?"

"Oh the matter of opportunity though, Mhairi, I know you don't exactly enjoy working as a maid at that motel. And Terri hasn't been around for a while...think you've learned enough about the hospitality industry to run the Boarding House?" He might just end up going stir crazy if he had to sit around and do it, after all. And it seemed like Mhairi could be counted on to handle it.

"As for the coronation...I figure we'll handle it more or less the same as all of them, really. Have a gathering here in the commons; food, drink, etc. Theme it a little bit. Hard cider, apple pie, and other things related to the harvest could certainly give it more of an Autumn feel. Unless anyone has anything particularly interesting they'd like to see done?"

Morgan Bellanar

PRE

"I too hath familiarity with Hearth's luck trick. Though mine tis, heh, only fickle or favor..." Morgan paused then cocked her head to the side, face scrunched up as her eyes rolled up. She let out a thoughtful hum, "Huh...ye ken," she straightened her neck, "heh, that feels like a good summary of my life too, heh-heh."

Morgan shook her head as she chuckled at this insight. "Contract party, Mhairi? Brilliant! We are Autumn, court of terror and arcane mysteries. Nay says we can't, heh, share the latter to make the, heh, Freehold's foes feel more of the former." she gave Mhairi a thumbs up for the suggestion. She then nodded to Rick, "Yes, thank thee for, heh, taking the weight of the crown. I'll, uh...try, honestly try, to be stronger next year if ye don't want it anymore, heh, hope Ava or other return before that," that last part came out rapidly and quietly.

Morgan then shook her head, "I shant hath any insights to modifying the coronation. Not lest ye really wanna go with a cirque sol lay, think said that right, type, heh, entrance," she looked up at the "roof" of the Hollow, her eyes had a calculating look to them, "Mmmmight be doable, heh."

Morgan then spun around to look at Nathaniel, a serious expression on her face: "And, heh, Nathaniel? Bad ideas are still good to voice in my, heh, opinion," her faced broke into a wide grin. The amusement was audible as she kept chattering: "Tis a good way to ken what not to do. Like a, heh, building dubstep cannons."

16. Likes , Gwydden liked this post
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread