Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Underground Reading Rainbow

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
    M
    Matrixchild

Joseph had specified the evening that the two would meet and so at the entrance to the Necropolis he stood. A month prior and this meeting would be between a Priscus and just some Haunt. But tonight it was between the Priscus of the Shadows and Priscus of the Haunts. Though of course the meeting had nothing to do with court business and more to do with two men enjoying collections of research.

The outside of the entrance had been strengthened slightly and expanded recently by Cross, Sheriff of the Deep Kingdom as he liked to say. Joseph would have to speak with the man soon enough and congratulate him on the progress he had made. While the exterior still remained unobtrusive and plain the interior had been expanded until finally the place was as it should be. While the Necropolis may give one thoughts of dirt and grim, the entrance was far from it. It had a clean and simple setup. In fact it was well suited to be a nice place to sit and enjoy the evening as well as entertain guests. Of course, David wasn't coming for the shared haven, but the library deep within the Necropolis.

As Joseph checked his watch he looked around the room once again, taking in the wonderfully simple design. Oh how far they had come. Oh how far the family could still go. And so, as he waited for the Mekhet Priscus, he marveled at the house they had turned from run-down shit palace into a refined boarding house for potential new arrivals.

C
    Casitive

David Regan's arrival is not heralded by the flash of headlights and the smooth sound of tires moving in unison. In fact, David's arrival isn't something someone would associate with a man in his positions. Astride an ancient pea-green aluminum bike, the scarecrow of a man – the Priscus of the Mekhet and Grand Wyrm of the Dragons – pushes forward, heralded by metrical tics which, if one listens very closely is briefly interrupted every revolution, plays the man's majordomo.

Reaching his destination, David lifts off of his seat and swings his leg around as the bike's movement comes to a natural death. “Mr. Greenberg,” David says as he lowers himself to grasp the midpoint of his bike. “I'm glad I was able to come by tonight. I apologize if I kept you waiting too long.” In the back of David's mind, he wonders how strong or weak Greenberg's beast is. How much of a threat or challenge does he pose? A question to be answered another time.

Bike in hand, David moves forward while offering his free hand to the Nosferatu, still having yet to disabuse himself from the simple gesture.

M
    Matrixchild

Interesting. Very interesting. Vivian was fond of cars: fast, sleek, and sexy. David on the other hand rode a bicycle. Very interesting indeed. With a smile Joseph extended his hand to take the shadow's, enjoying the quiet the man's beast gave off. While it certainly fed Joseph's curiosity it nevertheless helped social situations when one did not have to constantly struggle against the beast inside.

"I'm certainly glad as well. And I have not been waiting long. Please, come in," he said, holding the door for the man to bring in his bike. Closing the door behind him Joseph said, "Priscus Regan, if you'd like you can leave your bicycle here while we head down. No one will bother it of course." Turning to the door he said, "if you don't mind, for our protection," just before he locked the front door.

"This way please, I hope you like what we've done with the place," he said, gesturing towards the house around them and then the room with the stairwell down into the Necropolis. A part of him wondered if any of his family would be down in the Necropolis tonight. "Oh, and I should tell you, since we last spoke I have become the Priscus of the Nosferatu." No further comment was given to the matter, unless pressed, as he smiled and led the man towards the metal door, though slow enough that David could take in the house they walked through.

It had been expanded slightly since the formal court. Protection on the windows and a sturdier front door. The house was unusual due to the fact the inside so starkly contrasted the outside of it. Abandoned to all outsiders and yet clearly converted to be lived in. It was simple and yet elegant. The clan had turned a once forgotten building into something that could house a formal meeting, even if only a small one.

Robert Cross unlimited sink you can join us if you'd like

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

(Heightened Senses)Vitae 0 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

There are nights when Cross does not see the world above ground. Nights spent wandering the dark corridors of the Deep Kingdom; half exploring, half patrolling.

These nights can be spent lost in thought, in contemplation of the mysteries of his undead existence, or the wisdom of the Testament, or they might be characterized by a meditative inner-silence. Tonight, it's the former, and his focus is on a line from early in The Malediction of Longinus:

I could not see what part I would play for such a long time, because I looked at it with human eyes, with eyes that would die.

Yes, to find one's purpose only after death and damnation. To find one's path only when one is lost, irrevocably lost. And to follow that path nonetheless. It is a paradox, fit for the unexplainable and inescapable position that he, like all Kindred, finds himself in.

His wandering done, Cross is seated in the Caldarium, watching the still, calming waters with dead, blue eyes. Still contemplating the passage. That's where he hears them, his senses heightened after his time spent in the darkest depths of the Underground. His unnaturally sharp ears pick up Greenberg's voice right away, but it takes him a moment to realize the other partner in the conversation: Priscus Regan.

For a moment, Cross considers returning to the darkness, leaving them to their own devices. Instead, he stands and composes himself. As well as he can, given his attire: black jeans, steel toed work boots, and a white undershirt stained with the muck and grime of the further recesses of his Family's home. He is not ashamed of his appearance. After all, he belongs here.

And so, he waits for them to descend into the lower world, patient and quiet, ready to greet the new Priscus of clan Nosferatu and his most distinguished guest.

C
    Casitive

Measured steps convey David inside, the front wheel slowly turning until it, too, stops. “I apologize for troubling you,” David says, as he settles his bike against a nearby wall. They don't make bikes like it anymore. New polymers and alloys make for lighter bikes and the shop that David frequents for tune-ups, always attempts to try to fit David into one of their bespoke cycles. The Shadow always declines, citing an attachment to the pea-green aluminum thing with a slight dent that will never be fixed.

Dull-brown eyes flicker over the room and the stairwell, silently keeping count of the number. Revelation is everywhere. “You've all done an admirable job,” David compliments as he follows but David regards Greenberg differently as the revelation that the lawyer with the eyes on the back of his head is now their Priscus. The change was inevitable with Gilroy ascending to Seneschal but the face of that Change is interesting all the same.

Congratulations, Priscus Greenberg,” David offers, the milquetoast man's voice congenial, “I look forward to working with you on behalf of our families.” Though David's family has grown very, very small.

Passing into the further recesses of their home and when David's eyes pick up the form of the Deep Kingdom's Sheriff and David offers the man a bow and a nod of vague camaraderie. “Sheriff Cross,” David greets, acknowledging where he is with the use of the title. They've worked together briefly in the past, David has rode in the Burned man's car, but they've never had a conversation. “Good to see you.

M
    Matrixchild

With a smile Joseph said, "Oh it's no trouble at all." It really wasn't. In fact Joseph kind of appreciated the subtlty of the bicycle over the idea of a car parked out in front of a supposedly abandoned house. It made concealing a visitor's presence that much easier, not that the strangely forgettable man needed much help with hiding himself.

He wanted pleasantly as David took in the house and added, "why thank you. It has certainly been a wonderful group effort." At the man's offer of congratulations Joseph said, "why thank you. I look forward to it as well. So much can be accomplished when one works with others, wouldn't you say?" It would seem as of now Joseph was slowly making himself an ally, which would come in handy if he desired to maintain his position in the future. Who knew who would arrive seeking the Priscusdom.

As they made their way down into the Necropolis Joseph too discovered Robert waiting for them. "Ah, good evening Sheriff Cross. I was just giving Priscus Regan a tour of the Deep Kingdom, along with the Bleak Annals. Would you like to join us?"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Somehow, despite his soiled attire, Cross still seems as if he is wearing a uniform. Maybe it’s the way he carries himself. Upon entering the Caldarium, they find him at what could be called a relaxed parade rest.

“Priscus Regan,” he says by way of greeting. “Good to see you again,” offering the Shadow a bow. The last he’d seen of Regan was their abortive mission at the Delta King. He’d come away from the whole affair with a healthy measure of respect for the Mekhet. A powerful monster, focused and intelligent. Cross appreciates competence, dedication, and calculation—and the Priscus of the Shadows seems to have plenty of each.

Another bow is offered to Greenberg. “My Priscus, good evening. And congratulations on your new position.” It feels strange, addressing Greenberg in this way. But when it comes to matters of formality and duty, Cross is more than capable of operating in spite of his own thoughts and feelings. It is rare that one enjoys one’s duty, after all.

Matters of security, however, are another question. A tour? Is this a museum? A historical site? No. It’s a fucking fortified position, full of secrets and bolt holes. And you’re going to waltz through here with a Shadow who’s too smart by half? Cross locks these thoughts away immediately, sealing them with one mental note: The Regent needs to be made aware of the new Priscus’s propensity for underground pleasure outings. After all, the Necropolis is still located in Gilroy’s regency. Cross is not sure he will appreciate such intrusions.

“It would be my pleasure to join you, if it’s not too much trouble, Priscus,” the Burned Man answers. “Please, after you.” He turns aside to let them pass, the gun in its holster and the knife in its sheath, both strapped to the small of his back, becoming visible when he does so.

8. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    C
    Casitive

Nothing about David's mode of dress stands out. Maybe that's why it could be so disconcerting. The details about what color his shirt or slacks are, of course, taken for granted. Of course, he is wearing deep blues. Isn't he? The Shadow is wearing a blazer. Right? Sometimes, when someone masters the dark and knows how to slip in-between conscious thought, something of the dark is brought back and something of them remains in the spaces between.

The night on the boat was certainly a way to make your acquaintance, Sheriff Cross” David says as the Burned Man joins them. “If you want any back-story to all of that let me know.” Age is relative in a Domain that counts years rather than decades, but David is one of the old men on the mountain these nights. “There's a lot of it.” That's almost a warning and almost an apology.

Greenberg's question is answered with a small nod in the man's direction, not seeing the need to answer that verbally. “Might be a good thing to contribute to the Annals in any case, if you felt the need, Priscus Greenberg; at least as thanks for you inviting me here.

M
    Matrixchild

"Thank you very much Sheriff Cross. I certainly hope to continue what Seneschal-Regent Gilroy started." He gave no sign of his dislike of Cross's use of the word 'my'. If they were alone Joseph would explain what those of the First Estate, like the Prince and himself, thought of the term. He doubted that Cross meant it as an insult, as he had heard the Burned man use the word to Gilroy as well. Hopefully he wouldn't make the mistake of Calling Asa "my Prince."

With a smile Joseph said, "so wonderful to hear. I'm not sure, but have you had a chance to check out the Annals yourself?" He didn't want to assume one way or the others, though he suspected Cross wasn't one for 'research', at least not solely for academic purposes.

In regards to the back and forth about 'the boat', Joseph was intrigued as to the 'history'. Holding his smile he said, "I would be honored by the contribution, though that is something we should run by Seneschal-Regent Gilroy first. While he has opened up the necropolis for potential non-Nosferatu expansion, we would be remiss to leave him out of the discussion of your more than generous offer." He was surprised when he first heard Gilroy open the Necropolis to others. He would certanly be foolish to turn away the assistance of the Shadow Priscus.

Leading the way, Joseph traveled down the tunnels on a direct route, heading straight for the Annals. When he arrived at the doorway he said, "I apologize about the ceiling height. So little room, so many tomes," he said with a chuckle. Looking through the doorway one would see a two floor library with slanted shelves and rows and rows of tomes. Sources of Kindred history filled those shelves; books that some didn't even know existed to begin with. Within the center of the bottom floor space, under the slightly too short ceiling, were several chairs and a couch for reading along with a table in the middle. Joseph had spent much time here looking through all he had gathered that it had become like a little second home. While he still had dreams of a law library in a beautiful law firm, he also enjoyed what could only be described as an underground occult library. In a way, it was Joseph's current pride and joy. A tangible enhancement he had made to the city and the necropolis. Before continuing though, he gave his guest and security a moment to look around at what he had made.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Cross follows them and is led further into the Necropolis, feeling at ease in the depths.

David can't see his face, but he can hear the smile in the burned man's voice, "Nothing like a bit of black ops to smooth introductions, Priscus. I'm glad it worked out, but I'll admit the whole thing was a little confusing. No point in worrying about it at the time, but I can't say I wouldn't be interested in a little clarification, when you have the time of course."

With that, he turns his attention to Greenberg. "I've poked my head in once or twice, Priscus. Official business, mostly. Keeping an eye on things, or leaving you a message. But I haven't had the chance to spend much time." Mostly, he's been focused on the further darkness, in the catacombs, examining the sections that still need work, or that have deteriorated since Jack vanished. "I'm glad to have the chance now."

But then they've arrived and Cross follows the two other Stiffs into the library. The Burned Haunt goes quiet as he begins exploring the space, looking a little cramped, but not particularly uncomfortable or unhappy about that fact. He runs a scarred hand over some books as he paces the perimeter of the room. "It's very impressive, Priscus. Very impressive indeed..." He pulls a volume for a closer examination. Could there be information on the Dark Faith somewhere in these stacks? he wonders. If so, the annals could prove an invaluable for his own spiritual edification.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.