Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Underground Reading Rainbow

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    C
    Casitive

Almost on cue with Greenberg's warning about the ceiling, does David have to bend like a reed to accommodate it. The scarecrow's six feet in height doesn't mesh with the low-ceilings. Much like David, however, he doesn't make a fuss about it. Spines of books aging on the shelves catch the Shadow's dull-brown gaze but only fragments of their titles filter into his mind. “It must have taken some time to gather,” David compliments as he considers one title that spoke of the flooding that plagued Sacramento's early history.

“I think Lord Culler would have been quite proud of the work done here,” David notes thinking back on the imposing man. Aοleen would have been the one to speak of him, but both are long gone by now. Remembering that he was gone long before either Robert Cross or Greenberg made Sacramento their home, David clarifies, “He was the previous Lord of the Necropolis; a giant of a man. Unfortunately, he never made Court a habit.”

But one memory bubbles to the surface of David's thoughts: of a Daeva in a poorly constructed Thor costume being destroyed by the Nosferatu's meaty hands. A Blood Hunt that ended almost as quickly as it was declared.

“I don't want to talk your ear off, but I can now if it is alright by Priscus Greenberg. I suspect, though it's over, that the reverberations will be felt for some time and you both should be appraised,” David says to Cross and Greenberg before returning his attention to the Burned Man. “In fact, the Change that was enacted that night will be interesting to study. What do you think will Change because of what happened, Sheriff Cross?”

M
    Matrixchild

Smiling to Cross he said, "I hope you enjoy what you see. Currently I mostly have research into Sacramento's history, but I'd like to expand into other topics. Any suggestions?" throwing his question to both of them. He enjoyed hearing his collection labeled 'impressive' by anyone. It wasn't as large or extensive as he'd like, but to be fair to himself, having any collection of Sacramento History at all seemed to be remarkable compared to when he first arrived.

"It did," he said politely to David. "As I mentioned in Court before, Seneschal-Regent Gilroy had tasked me with attempting to build an Annals of Sacramento's Kindred history." He looked around slightly at his collection and smiled. "I believe I've been making good progress in that regards. If a day comes when the domain needs this library, I'm glad it will be here."

With David's transition to more history Joseph perked up. This was part of the reason he wanted to speak to the Priscus in the first place. "I would love to hear the history of both this incident you two are talking about and this Lord Culler. I can only imagine how some in the domain responded to a giant Nosferatu," he said with a chuckle. "I find that it's always smart to learn about the past and how it could potentially affect us today."

He too wondered if there would be Changes in the domain's future. It was certainly interesting to think about.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Cross has forgotten the book in his hands, his flat, blue eyes fixed on the Shadow Priscus. "Yes, I agree with Priscus Greenberg, please fill us in."

After Regan asks his question, Cross considers him for a long moment in silence. That's right, we have a Dragon in out midst. A scarred hand places the tome back in its place on the shelf. "It's hard to tell how something has changed without knowing what it was like before. Maybe you can tell us the story of Rhayna and then I'll give you my reply once I have more background." His tone isn't challenging, he's just stating the facts as he sees them. Cross is too pragmatic to make guesses concerning something he knows nothing about.

With that, he crosses the room and takes a seat at the table, settling in, ready to attend to the Shadow's tale.

C
    Casitive

It's responses like the one Cross gives that reinforces the notion that the Burned Man would be a good Dragon. Pragmatism. A desire to know before rendering a conclusion. All are valued traits. The thought slid into the Grand Wyrm's mind after the night at the Delta King and he found himself disappointed that chances to speak with the Necropolis' Sheriff before hand, were few and far between. A subtle gesture towards Greenberg is a request to take a seat as David begins, “Rhayna isn't quite the story, but she is – or was – a piece of the larger picture.”

Should Greenberg invite the Shadow to take a seat, David perches and folds his hands. “For me, I became embroiled in that soon after my arrival because of my knowledge of Torpor. You see, I am a Libitinarius, a guardian and funeral priest of the Torpid.” Hints to a work that David takes seriously. “The Order, at the time, were protecting a Torpid Kindred, dressed up to look like a Castellian Warlord in a booby-trapped sarcophagus along with a puzzle-box of unknown providence. After a visual autopsy, I realized that the body was a female and only dressed up to look like a Warlord to ship the Kindred through museum channels.”

A breath taken as David continues, “No one discovered what the puzzle-box was for, but Aοleen McFarlane died for it. Summoned by the powers of Daeva blood, Aοleen was brought to the barrens to face Rhayna, who murdered her for the puzzle-box. Myself and Dr. Emma French were too late to reach Aοleen in time.” A moment in time that galvanized David Regan in to the man he is now.

“After some investigation, I and others find ourselves a lead in the case of a kidnapped member of the Order. A lead that took us to Yolo Wilderness Bypass which we discover is the lair of a woman working with Rhayna and her masters, Jacqui Cotouri. Instead of the missing member of the Order, however, we find Regent Roxie Hart cemented to the wall and with an incredible story: Erika Brady, then Regent, was behind everything. She tells us that under her direction the member we were searching for was Diablerized. There was no time to save Hart, however, and we barely escape the bunker before Jet Fuel engulfed it.”

A long pause follows and David continues, “Speaking to His Grace about what happened, set the rest of it in motion. Brady was tried before the council of Priscii and the results were inconclusive but His Grace's ghoul, Colette alerted us to another piece of their plan: the former Tyrant Prince Straiphen.” Fingers tap, one after another, “I and others including now Seneschal-Regent Gilroy, search the sewers for the Haven and find it, eventually destroying the Former Prince and denying Brady her prize. Eventually, Cotouri is captured and revealed that Brady had a Twin and used a man named Von Shusten and Rhayna as weapons. After some debate, I suggested to the Archon to strike Von Shusten and then Katya discovered Rhayna at the Delta King.”

There certainly was a lot and David was not kidding when he half-way warned the pair of Nosferatu. The affair twisting and turning over the course of years, as Kindred wars are wont to have done. Even with how long David take to explain the story, it is still just an outline. Here, David looks between the duo before thinking of telling the much shorter story of Lord Arnold Culler.

Sorry about the wall o' text

M
    Matrixchild

"Please, have a seat Priscus," he said, gesturing towards a chair as Joseph took a seat himself to listen. While the story is a little long, it is compelling. So much had happened in the city, before he had even thought of coming out west. Betrayal, murder, and discovery, all the pieces for a good noir film, and yet it appeared to all be true.

"Quite fascinating Priscus Regan. Years of war and it sounds as if you're saying it all started over a puzzle-box?" he asked politely. Kindred always held themselves above Kine, and yet they could start wars for far less. How very interesting. One must always learn from the past in order to succeed in the future. "To think, all of this happened in the city just since you got here. I imagine this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the stories you could tell," he chided playfully. He imagined David did not picture himself as the 'storytelling' type, though sometimes a true storyteller is just one who watches and records history as it happens, so that it is not forgotten to time. That certainly seemed to fit the forgettable man with an impeccable memory. It was as if he was the Shadow Watcher. The Silent Witness.

"Knowing what you know, do you truly believe the group would truly leave for good?"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Cross listens intently, unmoving, his scarred features a mask of attention. While he does so, he can't help but wonder at what goes unspoken. Call it his detective's instinct. For instance: what was the motivation for Brady's antagonism? What enlivened this whole game of blood and death, what were the stakes? They must've been high for both sides to pay such a price.

Cross resists the urge to laugh when Greenberg asks his question about the puzzle box. Of course it is silly--such a little thing. But it gets back to his previous points of curiosity: what, exactly, was the whole saga about?

But then Greenberg is asking his next question, and the Burned Man chimes in, "I was wondering the same thing, Priscus Greenberg. And it begs the question: why? After all that time, why would Rhayna, and her compatriots, be permitted to leave? Why were we called off that night at the boat? What, exactly, happened?" Cross has to remind himself this isn't an interrogation, but there are too many unanswered questions, and now his curiosity is piqued.

C
    Casitive

Wryness and weariness go hand-in-hand as David responds to Greenberg's question with, “A puzzle-box carried with the torpid body of Erika Brady's twin, probably.” A theory that he tinkered with as the Shadow too, wondered a singular question: Why. With the glib way Greenberg puts it, David suppresses a chuckle at the apparent ridiculousness of it. But the fact of the matter is they never figured out what the puzzle-box was for.

“'Why' is certainly the question,” David replies to Cross. The Shadow has his own theories on the subject but instead the Shadow offers, “Might be something to ask Katya Harding about. I suspect the Archon made the call herself.” Unlike so many other people embroiled in this affair, Katya is still in the city.

“Do I believe this group would truly leave for good?” David repeats Greenberg's question, reiterating it. “Maybe. It's difficult to pick up and start over. Maybe Pride will drive them back here one night. Or maybe they'll make that Kingdom they wanted to turn Sacramento into, somewhere else.” To him, David thinks of it as a stalemate; it's not the speculation David particularly enjoys.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Kingdom?" Cross asks simply. The hubris implied in that one word rubs him the wrong way and he frowns slightly. It's best they've gone and don't come back. A city typically only has room for one group of Kindred with such ambitions, and Sacramento already had its Prince and his court. It's no wonder the animosity was so intense and the conflict lasted so long. At the same time, it prompts him to reflect on his own Family's activities and how they might be perceived. This is why we have to be careful...

"Well, if you'll permit me, I think I can try to answer your question now, Priscus Regan," he says with a nod of respect. "And please forgive me if I focus on matters of domain defense and strategy. It's my area of specialty after all." He pauses, considering how to go on.

"I see two possible changes on the domain-wide level. Both are the result of a large-scale and long-standing threat being removed from the field of play. The first concerns external actors, the second: internal," Cross speaks like he's giving a report or threat-assessment to a superior. "First, given the power-vacuum left by Brady's forces, I wouldn't be surprised if we found ourselves confronting another group soon, someone who establishes themselves in the territory once held by our former adversary. They could be hostile or simply indifferent, but the niche is there and will likely be filled. Just as likely, we could see the emergence of many different, smaller groups. Operating in concert or independently. Either way, nature abhors a vacuum." It's not a rosy prediction, but--of course--eminently pragmatic. Still, the second option is even darker.

"The second option, which doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, is a turn inward by the domain. Without a major external threat, the time may come for some housekeeping. I'm not sure what this would look like, whether it would represent a tightening of domain ties and unification," Cross doubts this but doesn't say so, "or a splintering into factions with an increase of in-fighting." A much more distinct possibility. Cross is under no illusions about the ability for Stiffs to live peacefully or cooperate.

"The most logical move would be to focus such internal energies on expansion of the domain's influence into the areas once occupied and controlled by Brady, territorially, financially, and socially. A shared project that would prevent further threats from cropping up and provide a common goal." With that, the Burned Man falls silent, keeping his scarred face impassive, even as he ponders what he's just said. What disturbs him the most is the fact that, should an internal threat be identified or invented, his Family would be high on the list of suspects.

9. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

David seemed to have entensive knowledge of the going ons in the city, especially when it came ot this situation.. A good man to know it seemed.

Before he could respond, Cross went into his explanation. He found it strange that the man always responded as if he was still a police officer giving a report. Sure, it helped make his opinion clear and Joseph could respect that, but it just sounded so....formal at times. "It sounds like either way you expect there to be much fighting over Brady's formal regency in Citris Heights. That could certainly be true, but to be fair I imagine it more like the Native Americans. They recognized no boards that 'the white man' put up, and so they moved as they wished. New enemies too will not respect or recognize the artificial barriers were place in the city, and as such I believe threats can come from anywhere, just as they probably were before Brady's time." He paused though before continuing. "Though a cooperative program to help expand the domain's reach sounds like a good idea too."

He focused his attention more on Cross though as he continued. "I would like to add though, and please correct me if I'm wrong Priscus, but I believe his question of change had more to do with the perceptions or attitudes of the domain and how they change based on the deal most likely made by the Archon, and less of how we will respond to future threats." It was a question he wondered too. Who would benefit from this secret deal? Who would use it for power?

C
    Casitive

Lapsing into a quiet stillness, David listens to Cross' answer and then the new Nosferatu Priscus' as he gives his. Each of their answers hold an intriguing thread. Citrus Heights was no longer a place to fear as much as it used to be, the long-knives of von Shusten and Rhayna are no longer quite so pointed at the throat of the Domain. Movement smoothly returns to David, seeming out of place with the once stock-still man.

“As I mentioned earlier, 'why' is certainly the question,” David begins, his quiet voice contemplative. “Sometimes we have the answer without knowing what caused it. Sometimes it's the other way around. The causes and the effects of things move about like a tango, changing places as needed because,” a nod towards Cross, “as much as Nature hates a Vacuum, it also hates chaos.”

Nothing is more dangerous than chaos. At least the Kindred hold that in kind with the Kine: the utter disdain for 'randomness.'

“Cross' answer addresses one facet of a Change that will happen because of their departure in a meta-sense. The change of perceptions and attitudes within the hoi-polloi of the Domain, the question of 'Who Benefits' is another facet; in the mirco-sense.” And it says something of the men that Greenberg and Cross immediately went towards one facet over the other. “All of this will inform the actions of those within the Domain to enact their own changes.” What will the Invictus do, the tattered remains of the Movement? What will David do?

“The effect becomes the cause as nights wear on,” David notes. “It is interesting to consider all of this because of the whispers I've already been hearing. Those vigilantes in the news? The fifth one didn't die immediately. He was screaming for a person named Maze in the hospital before he died.” Pausing, David's eyes move between the two men, “That name is familiar to me: Kristen Maze. A person whose haven I investigated in relation to the Brady affair, and helped to 'liberate' quite the cache of information from.”

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.