Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
11 - 20
DISPLAYED
Trust Fall

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

Of course I would have you.

Those words mean something to the Burned Man, something important, no matter how meager the delivery: Gilroy would welcome him. He's not foolish enough to think that the Bishop might be happy to have him, but he could find space in the covenant. With Gilroy's blessing.

Cross considers asking the Bishop how it worked for him, how he was initiated, but decides not to pry. Instead he answers simply: "Branding." The evidence for that form of purification's significance is written, literally, all over his face. "Flames touched me once when I died. They'll touch me again as I'm reborn into death."

It seems the haunt has made his decision. "I leave it to you to decide when it should be done," he says with a deferent tone. He's not sure if there's a specific night on which such things should happen. For a moment, he falls silent, looking reverent and even slightly pleased. He's been thinking about this conversation for a long time and it's finally come to pass. With the desired result. "Thank you for discussing this matter with me, Bishop. I look forward to growing in my faith with you." Whether or not Gilroy believes him, he means it.

But then he snaps back into business mode. "If you have a few more minutes, I have some other matters to speak to you about." More than a few actually.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"I look forward to your joining the Dark Prophet's church. I'll make preparations for the rite and let you know as soon as they are ready." What measures to prevent frenzy would be required. He'd need to look over the scripture for relevant passages. He stopped his mind from running off on a tangent of what supplies he'd need. There was still other things Cross wanted to talk about.

"I still have a while before I'm needed at the university. What else did you want to talk about?"
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

A solemn nod of acceptance is offered the Bishop, letting him know that the Burned Man can make himself available whenever Gilroy is ready to perform the rite. Once given permission, Cross shifts toward matters of the domain rather than faith.

"There are several issues I'd like to discuss with you. First, is the matter of my title, which we both know the Prince is not pleased with. Given that, and Jack's recent disappearance," Cross can't help but frown at the fact of that disappearance, "I believe I have a solution." He pauses, whether for self edification or dramatic effect is unclear.

"Name me your Hound." The words ring out in the silence of this Holy place.

The Burned Man pushes on: "I can continue acting in my capacity as chief of security concerns in the Deep Kingdom, but I would also take on the responsibility of your own, personal security. As I see it, the two matters are intertwined. The regency," he holds out his right hand, "extends from the person of the regent," now he extends his left, "who has been granted that right by the Prince." He brings both hands together, lacing his fingers: "Any threat to the regency is a threat to the Regent and any threat to the Regent is a threat to the regency." He lets those scarred hands fall back to his sides.

"This solution would iron out redundancies, centralize security concerns, and solve the problem of title as I would then be known simply as Hound." His argument made, Cross falls silent, waiting for the Regent's reply.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

“Or we change your title to Reeve.” Kenneth had always considered the them interchangeable. Sherriff as the primary title differentiated it from the Prince’s Reeve and made it more accessible to the general population. Like how Gilroy used Bishop rather than a Presbyter despite not being part of the Monachal Creed. But the Prince got what the Prince wanted.

“If I were to name you my Hound at this time, it would make it seem like the reason I did not name you Reeve of the Domain was in order to retain you and your services for my exclusive use. Or at least lend credence to that theory. I’m sure there enough rumors surrounding my decision without seeming to confirm one of them.” It already looked that way but right now there was probably still doubt.

“It isn’t that I don’t want you as Hound.” Indeed, Kenneth would probably be willing to accept Cross without the probationary period he had given Jack. “You’re independent, proactive, and intelligent.” Was that respect from the man who had once banished Robert from court?

“However, this soon after… everything.” The Regent sounded tired and pathetic. Turned and paced a few steps towards the altar, pausing to look at the table of wax as if it might hold some revelation.

“Imagine if it were another Clan. If Priscus Roth was announced to be Regent of a large swath of land. Poor hunting grounds perhaps but still having a great area. Some Kindred begin to talk about a construction project the Gangrel are doing in their Regency, because at this point it is their Regency. Then for the first time in a long time the official court is held in a place not own by the Prince. Upon attending you find that the local is equivalent to the Nox. Then, at that Court Roth is named Seneschal.” There was a hidden panic behind Gilroy’s story. It was hidden in the darkness of the temple but there if you really listened. He let the scene play out. Allowed Robert to hopefully consider the implications of any actions after that and how they would appear from the outside.

“Other Kindred are watching us. Some with jealousy, and some with fear. I can’t appear to be consolidating power. It would be dangerous, not only for me but the entire Clan.”

The Bishop continued to stare at the pale and misshapen lump of paraffin. A quiet descended on the Temple. Some might call it holy. Gilroy fought against such nomenclature even after all he'd witnessed.

Profound. That's what he'd call it.

"Four months," he said finally "If you still want the position, I will name you Hound in four months."

Kindred had long memories, but the Danse in Sacramento moved quickly and the Dancers changed with it. By New Years, everyone would hopefully have moved on and not be as worried that some worm had wriggled onto the Prince's right hand.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Cross listens. He listens and he understands.

I see it. I can see it.

So many of his questions or complaints are addressed in the course Gilroy's analysis of the situation. Cross had once cautioned himself to be patient, to wait, to allow the Regent to explain himself. Now that this has come to pass, the motive behind some of Gilroy's recent decisions, decisions that had bothered the Burned Man, become clear: the choice of Reeve, the decision to allow other clans to settle in the Underground, even the selection of Greenberg as Priscus. All measures to prevent his, and the clan's, prominence from becoming too threatening.

Sacrifices. Strategic, and pragmatic, sacrifices to the realities of the Danse. Cross may be good at the direct and efficient resolution of security concerns. He may even have a knack for higher level strategic planning when it comes to questions of defense and attack. But politics is still beyond him, at least at the level Gilroy practices it. Cross is thankful that someone is thinking about these details, though.

The normally impassive stoicism of Cross's expression breaks and what replaces it is a look that's equal parts admiration and concern. When he speaks, his voice is touched by emotion, "My Regent...I understand." There's a pause as Cross gets control of himself. Such naked feeling would not be appropriate. "I will take the title in four months. But let me start acting as your Hound now. You are too important to the Family, and the Domain, to be left unguarded. No one has to know but us...and anyone who would dare to move against you."

Cross's mind is still spinning with the revelations, with the look into Gilroy's thinking, making the question of title seem trivial. "Perhaps, to avoid any confusion with the Reeve," Cross is sure she wouldn't appreciate a duplication of titles, "I should be known as Constable." He says the last with a slight shrug, indicating it's all the same to him. For a moment, it seems as if he might lapse into silence, but then:

"And Regent...thank you." He clearly means it. "For everything." Another pause. "And I hope you know you don't have to do this alone. Carry this burden alone. You have people around you to listen, to advise, to support. Or if no one else, you have me." Cross wouldn't normally say this so explicitly, but he can see the weariness, the anxiety, can hear it in his Regent's voice, and it worries him.

6. Likes Parable liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Kenneth didn’t want to important. Deep down there was a part of him that shunned the idea. His Curse made any position he might hold inherently precarious. Even with the Mask, he would always be seen as vermin. A rat could not be king. A worm could not be placed on a pedestal without withering in the sun. The voice of his Sire screamed at him of his unworthiness. His Beast screeched and hissed in never ending fear.

Yet he heard the emotion in Robert’s voice. The Bishop turned and gave Cross a strange assessing look. A man whose very presence brought to mind fire and final death. Yet also vigilance and responsibility. The candle in the darkness.

"You may act as my Templar for the time being. Until you can add it to your title of Constable," he said, agreeing with both suggestions.

"And... thank you Robert. I'll keep that in mind." Gilroy's voice sounded hoarse like a toad's.
    Mask of Tranquility

8. Likes unlimited sink liked this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

“I will not fail you,” is Cross’s reply to his Regent’s implicit conferral of title and responsibility. He is pleased that Gilroy trusts him so. Not that you would know it from his demeanor: in order to avoid the scandal of further emotional exposure, he’s drawn himself up to attention, his posture stiff and formal.

At Gilroy’s word of thanks, he merely bows his head.

Before continuing: “Finally, I would like to discuss one last matter. It’s more a question of protocol.” He pauses, looking for the best way to continue, knowing he must be careful here. “Now that the transition in Family leadership is complete, I’m wondering how you might like to handle the …changes, in terms of your Regency.” Another beat. “What I mean is: the Necropolis, the seat of the family, which is now led by Priscus Greenberg, is located in your regency. I was wondering if you would like to clarify the chain of authority or command given the potential for confusion on this front?” Or perhaps he would like to keep things vague, to provide more room to maneuver? “I only ask because I’m assuming you will be away on Domain Business regularly, and I would like to assure your wishes are followed, even in your absence.”

What Cross is doing here should be quite clear. He’s asking for special orders. He's probing to see how far Greenberg should be allowed to go when he’s under Gilroy’s roof. More than anything, he’s showing where his loyalty lies.

10. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

Cross’ question was… complicated. In many ways, Gilroy had set it up as such. Whether that would be to the family’s benefit would yet to be seen.

“Priscus Greenberg is the head of the family and responsible for our social interactions and direction with the Domain. He is responsible for protecting our interests and providing direction for the Clan. However, he is only directly responsible for the Haven above ground. I fully support his call for greater interaction and connection to other Kindred.

"The Caldarium falls under Caretaker Hart’s authority. The execution of law for the Necropolis and surrounding area is your responsibility. As Regent, I am responsible for encouraging the growth of the Underground and the orderly maintenance of the territory.. Given our family’s investment, the welfare of the Nosferatu is implicit. The laws I’ve set forth make it more explicit.”

“There is a great deal of overlap between the Haunt Priscus and the Deep Kingdom Regent. The ain difference being one is localized by territory and the other by social constructs.”

He wasn’t sure Cross would understand. Kenneth had done his best to maintain the status quo. Joseph held power over the Clan and as far as the worm could tell their vision were the same. Alice and Robert still reported to Gilroy though with positions tied to the Regency. Garrick was a slight wild card.
    Mask of Tranquility

12. Bump unlimited sink "Bump" this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Cross understands the arrangement, though not in the deeply intellectual way that Gilroy. His has an intuitive grasp of bureaucratic operation, developed over years in the arcane and rigid hierarchies of law enforcement. What he sees in Gilroy's explanation are two organizational entities existing in the same space, with a lot of overlap. Those zones of overlap represent places of support or conflict, communication or aggression. Or both at the same time. It all depends on the circumstance, the orders given, or the implicit posture of those who give the orders. All Cross knows is that, like Alice, he is positioned at one of these overlap zones, and that he takes his orders from the Regent.

Cross nods his comprehension, "Thank you for the clarification, Regent." No questions asked. He's gotten all the answers he needs from Gilroy's explanation.

"If you have no further need of me, I won't take up any more of your time this evening," he says. "And again, please let me know when you think the time is right for my Purification. I look forward to joining you in the faith of the Dark Father." There is, indeed, anticipation in his eyes. Cross can feel a strange tingling work over his scarred flesh as he speaks of his Creation Rite.

With that, he bows his head, waiting for dismissal or further instruction.

M
    Matrixchild

Since this has already been bumped once and tomorrow is going to be a week with no responses, I'm going to close this down to make sure it's in continuity.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Closed Thread