Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
(1607) Regan and Maddox

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    C
    Casitive

From here

So,” David starts as he turns his attention more squarely upon Jacob Maddox ( White ). “You've not been with us in some time. Can you tell me a bit about what took you away from us? Can you also tell me about what brought you back?

Two blinks follow David's questions, watching the movements Jacob deigns to make. Outside of certain things, there isn't much to say about Maddox' last movements within Sacramento society. Curiosity bounces around David's mind questioning if Maddox will make more of an impression or simply play to their clan's sobriquet.

White

Jacob had expected as much, just keeping tabs on the domain. He replied brusquely and without emotion "A friend of my sire wanted some help so I went to help them for a while, saw my original family from afar on the way, and I even got to attend a couple of the late evening code conference events on my way back. Fascinating stuff. But, what brought me back is what brought me here in the first place. Attempts to build something of a home. I already have a simple apartment leased, and a few job leads I can follow up on. So I came back. I also have a question once you're satisfied with your line of questioning, if you would be so kind as to humour me with one."

C
    Casitive

Appraising Jacob's answer, David's brow furrows slightly. Maddox's clipped answer, however, causes David pause. Not because of the answer but in its packaging. “The Laws of the Domain have not changed in your absence.” A pregnant pause weighs heavily, an invitation for Jacob, “Any questions on that front?

But for your question, feel free to ask it,” David finishes, opening thin fingers as though Maddox' question is a gift to receive.

Jacob waves the question away, "No, I remember them clearly Priscus."
    He crossed his arms and leaned back slightly, breaking eye contact. "Is there- is there anything in the Order's teaching that can help one keep their sanity?" Utterly gone was the casual cockiness that pervaded his usual manner, replaced by a subtle anxiety bordering on fear. He followed up quickly with: "I imagine you can't give away specifics or anything but, well..." Before grimacing and trailing off.
    Smooth Jacob, real smooth.

C
    Casitive

Very well,” David replies at Jacob's answer. If the Dragon is honest, Maddox might know the Laws of the Domain more than most. About to continue, David stops as he notices a change come over Jacob; the font falling into something more genuine.

Before I answer,” David begins, the authority in his voice morphing into something more counseling, “I have a question for you: What kind of Kindred do you want to be?

For most, sanity as a Kindred come from their personal causes and their personal crusades; lifelines all. When they lose sight, when despair sets in, that's when the Kindred will find themselves flailing around and get ripped apart by the scream of time. An example of that has already made itself known to the whole Court.

"An old one." Jacob smiles wanly, his composure somewhat recovered, "If you're asking who I want to be, and you're not looking for cliche drivel... well, it's a hard question." He searched with his eyes for a moment as if looking for words, vainly trying to deterministically vocalize an answer that had never felt so indefinite. "I want to be someone who can show others how to not be afraid."

He had an odd feeling then of being slightly deflated, yet heavier. As if attempts to push him over would be far more difficult than before. While his arms remained crossed, his posture returned to normal and his gaze returned to David's eyes. Stock still, the Shadow awaited a response.

C
    Casitive

'An Old One.'” David repeats in a voice twinged with amusement. “I know it's a joke but one doesn't become 'old' by simply existing. Or, at least, that way is the way towards boredom.” Which, at least for the Dragon, is as much a danger as 'insanity.' Maybe the two are related, hand-in-hand with one another waiting for a Kindred to realize the stretch of time they've traveled and have yet to go.

Maddox's actual answer, causes David to simply nod his head. Fear is a constant companion to them all. Fear and anger and anger spiked fear. Somewhat apropos given their surroundings. “It's a good goal, Mr. Maddox, to be an example for others.” Gathering his thoughts on the young man, David asks one other question of Jacob Maddox, “What is Change and what are your thoughts on it?

Jacob nods thanks to the praise before raising an eyebrow at the question, likely a test of character, but to what end? Without more information honesty seemed the best choice to Jacob.
    "My personal definition of change would be a transition of state, and, while I have dedicated a great deal of thought to it I've made very few real conclusions. Change permeates existence on every level. Even the laws of physics have been heavily suggested to have changed throughout the universe's lifespan. If there is any base static truth, it is far deeper than anything we know of goes. Change's nature is reality itself and it's far more important to dwell on how we react to change or smaller partitions of reality that we can influence than it is to dwell on a cosmic force far beyond our control. Unless of course, you are dwelling on humility."

C
    Casitive

Maddox's answer is understandably basic, but truthful, and will at least serve as a baseline. “So, with that in mind,” David asks, “how does that affect your nightly Requiem? Does Change affect you? If so, how does it?” Like most of David's questions, it is seemingly innocuous. However, Jacob will, perhaps, someday know that every question is a litmus test.

The question is, will Maddox be suited for the work ahead of him if he decides to walk through the door.

To Jacob, it was a silly question which was eerily similar to many exams questions. How doesn't change effect him? How doesn't it effect anyone? "It affects literally every aspect of my nightly Requiem." A pause.Which is what I just said. There was a lot Jacob could say. But, he didn't really know David that well. He knew of him but he hardly trusted the Shadow. I've revealed more than I'd meant to anyway. "I believe in learning, Priscus. Every day I learn more and I put that knowledge to use. I believe that the changes that come from learning are the most important ones someone can go through."

It was a truth, not a gritty emotional truth maybe, but a truth none the less. He hoped it was enough for whatever exam he was being put through.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 12

You do not have permission to view the list of names.