THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    I've Done Things... Bad Things.

Domain Status (Bloodhunted)
    Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

((Sterling Hotel) Cross and Konrad)Vitae 1 Spent
    PRE

Drawing Room of the Sterling Hotel
    It seems like he'd just been here the other night with Jack. They had talked about Cross then too, but tonight's meet-up had more to do with the mutual history he and Cross shared. That and Cross's connections that Jack had brought up. When Konrad decides to meet with a Kindred, it's rarely for a single reason.

He comes dressed in a button-up white shirt, untucked out of dress pants. A black tie hangs loosely around his collar, if only there to balance the monochrome ensemble. In his pants pocket is a digital recorder, obfuscated for if he plans to use it. He doubts Cross would share anything so self-incriminating on their first talk. But one never knows.

The dressing room is quiet, empty save for the lone predator. The old-timey furniture looks out of place in the modern world, but it still looks like it could last a while longer with the heavy wood frames. Konrad is slouched in a couch, staring at the ceiling in contemplation as he listens for the arrival of his guest.
      Obfuscate, 1sux
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-06-03 19:39:19 Konrad Roth rolls 9 to obfuscate digital recorder [WIT+Larc+Obf+1(size)] (1s Subtract) 6, 7, 1, 3, 3, 6, 10, 2, 8 1 success
    -1 Vitae for Blush of Life

2. Likes unlimited sink liked this post

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    (Emergency Services, Criminals)
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu | Lancea Sanctum

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

(Blush)Vitae 1 Spent
    NOS
    PRE

The Sterling is not exactly Cross's natural habitat. Its elegance makes his scars itch, though that's probably the blush, at least in part. It's quiet and polite staff do little but annoy him. And the stares he gets from the clientele don't help his mood. They get their eyeful quick enough, looking away from the unfortunate man in the black suit and white, open collared shirt, not wanting to appear rude. He hardly spares them a glance as he makes his way to his appointment.

Still, he can appreciate the logic behind Konrad's choice. A modicum of privacy could be assumed here, and any violence would threaten a masquerade breach--an effective deterrent. As he makes his way toward the drawing room, the burned man thinks about Roth, who Vic spoke of on more than one occasion. His sire had been fond of offering his childe real-life examples, using his fellow underground hustlers as models, lessons, or warnings. Konrad had been one of the models, a figure Sick Vic respected (no one ever said liked). Cross is interested to see how the Stiff measures up.

Cross's footsteps announce his approach. His tread is heavy without being ponderous, slow of pace without being leisurely. Upon entering the drawing room, his eyes immediately find Roth, the beast flushing him with it's awful heat as if someone has just opened a furnace door. He pauses, fixing his jacket, eyes sweeping the (thankfully empty) room, giving himself the time to settle the monster inside him while also assuring the 9mm strapped to his lower back is well-concealed. It's an elegant gesture, two birds one stone, even if it comes off a bit stuffy.

With that done, he makes his way to where Roth is lounging on the couch, stopping smartly in front of him. There's a slight uptick at the corner of his lips, the scars (livid with stirred blood) stretching taut around his mouth. "Konrad. Good to see you. Glad we're finally getting a moment to meet."

4. Likes West liked this post

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

5'10" 158lbs (72kg), Konrad has narrow dark blue eyes and sandy brown hair. He looks to be in his late twenties and often is seen wearing a heavy leather overcoat and sneakers.

PRE

The Savage lifts his head at the sound of the door and watches as the masked predator makes his way towards him. But rather than join him in taking a seat, Cross remains upright. With the pressure of the Haunt's curse it feels as if the Kindred is standing over him. Konrad supposes he ought to stand and greet the guest like a host ought to do. But even more so, Konrad prefers not to be caught in a vulnerable position.

He makes an effort to get to his feet and regrets it, as the action brings him closer to the man's face and the details of the unsightly scarring.

"Good to see you too, Cross. Would've tried to set something up earlier, but I've had a lot to keep me distracted. Social calls tend to take a back seat to business. But then you know how it is. Sick Vic seemed to know the score back in LA. I'll bet you do too, since he chose you for the Embrace." Either that or Vic's sick sense of humor.

"So how is the old bean?"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

Nosferatu Curse: Cross has obviously been badly burned in the past with visible scars to prove it, and is that a faint smell of burnt hair and skin?

NOS
    PRE

"Business before pleasure, obviously," Cross says with a raised eyebrow, the tone of his voice letting Konrad know that he's aware the company of a horribly scarred man is not what many would call enjoyable. And that's not even taking his aroma into consideration. "In any case, I'm glad you found the time." Cross gestures deferentially for Konrad to resume his seat. No need for them to stand around like a couple of awkward Stiffs. After waiting, respectfully, for the Priscus to settle himself (if he so chooses), Cross will do the same beside him, ignoring the fiery outrage of his beast at the proximity.

"Well, let's just say Vic also hated to lose an investment. And he'd invested a lot of time in me." Time, blood, and training actually. "So, when I had my accident," the term is clearly a euphemism, but for what? "he brought me into the fold." Cross pauses, seeming to ponder the point: "I'm not sure I would have been his first choice, but I believe I did good by him, while I could."

With that, he leans a little closer to Roth, suddenly looking very serious, his voice low: "And you see, I wouldn't know how he is, because Vic's dead. Like dead dead. Business caught up with him." There's something in his voice as he says it, a mixture of sadness, regret, and anger that thickens his normally even tone with emotion. Another pause as he gathers himself, and when he speaks again that moment of feeling has passed: "Nearly caught up with me too. Which is how I ended up in Sacramento to begin with."

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

Konrad settles back into his seat, preferring to spend less effort at maintaining decorum. Whatever lighthearted amusement Konrad had possessed at the start of their meeting vanished at the news of Vic's final death.

"For real?" says Konrad with seriousness. There had always been risks about their enterprise. In the criminal underworld just as much with their fellow Kindred. "How? I mean, he wasn't the nicest guy, but he wasn't stupid either."

It's not as though Konrad held any love for the fallen business partner from bygone nights. But like a canary in a coal mine, the death of a kindred spirit serves as a warning. If it were because of changing times then Konrad would have to adapt.

His hand comes to rest on his cheek, rubbing against the grain of his stubble as it moves to his chin as he considers Cross thoughtfully.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

"Unclear," Cross says the word like he's giving a report to his commanding officer. "As you probably know, Vic was," he pauses, looking for the right word, "ambitious when it came to business." Cross had seen and accomplished more than a few instances of outright sabotage on the part of Vic. He had no problem fucking with someone else's operations, whether they were living or dead. "Of course he covered his ass, but that only goes so far. By the end of it, he'd drawn up a very long list of enemies, many of them like us."

"He reacted accordingly. Took every measure he could." More like, he became increasingly paranoid. Cross never knew who he feared the most, but in his final nights Vic was always afraid. It fell to Cross to handle the business in many aspects, even bring his Sire his meals. "But it didn't help." Cross's shoulders slump visibly as he thinks of what came next, his eyes downcast: "One night, I got a package. Filled with Ash. All that was left." His hands curl into fists where they rest on his knees. "There was a note too: 'Room for one more.'"

He snorts derisively: "There was nothing I could do. Vic had been around for a long time. I hadn't. Still green, right? So I just left." He looks up, eyes finding Konrad's, intense with anger, at whoever did his Sire in, and at his own cowardice. "Someday, though." He's dead serious. "Some night I'll make it right. May not be for a while, but I've got a long time."

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"I don't blame you," Konrad remarks, still visualizing the box of ash in his mind. "And I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was grooming you for better things. The note was probably just to scare you out of town. But they probably would've come for you eventually if you had stayed. I'd have done the same thing."

So rival Kindred. Konrad really could relate. He may not have started out with a long list of enemies, but there is a list. All it takes is time and one too many screw-ups or oversights. Konrad held power and he hadn't been afraid to challenge others with it either. Maybe Cross's news and coming were a message from the divine, an example to those who too often exploit their fellow Kindred. Or maybe it's just coincidence and common sense.

"Well if you need any help getting situated here just ask. I'm sure I owed Vic enough favors for that much. You figure out your daystar situation yet? Got yourself a Haven?"

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Cross nods. "Yeah--everyone knew that I was Vic's man. They knew me before this" he gestures to the scars on his face "and after. No way I was going to get out of it. And no way I could win, so." That was that. Cross hates running from a fight, but he's not stupid--strategically anyway.

At the mention of grooming, Cross gives a short, rasping laugh, "He saw I possessed a certain skill set, and he put me to good use. That's the hardest thing now--not having that direction." Again, he looks meditative, waiting a long beat, "Though things are getting better. Regent Gilroy and I," another pause, "well--we didn't start off too well, but he's started to put me to work. Underground at least." Cross is still unsure of where he stands with his Priscus, but the facts are the facts: he's the Sheriff of the Deep Kingdom, which has to count for something.

"Anyway, I stay down there. Got another little place top side, too. All sorted out on that end." Vic didn't raise no fools: first thing's first, you find shelter and you find food. Cross can almost here his Sire saying Blood and a bed, Cross. Blood and a bed--all a Stiff really needs.

"What I would like, though, is more work in the fresh air, you know? Something that people might notice. I'm wondering if you might have anything needs doing." Cross is happy with his position underground, but is in no rush to put all his eggs in one basket.

Status (Criminals) ••
    Presence •• (Wallflower)
    Konrad Roth

PRE

"Ah right. I checked out the temple once back when that's all it was. I imagine you've spruced it up quite a bit since then." With Jack looking into water pumps, Konrad figures they're likely expanding too. It pays to have friends in low places, though Konrad is curious what sort of beef went down between him and Gilroy.

When Cross mentions that he's looking for work, Konrad is caught by surprise. It's almost too perfect. There is no way he'd have gotten wind of what Konrad has going on, would he?

"Now that you mention it, a little birdie told me that you used to work in law enforcement. I'm curious if you've still got any connections there or if you could help me with a little problem I've got going on. Needless to say, if you can manage it I'd owe you big time. It's not really something Greenberg and his lawyering can solve." Or rather, what he'd heard is that Cross used to be a 'dirty cop'. Most likely his Embrace and a compromised reputation would make those kind of connections difficult to maintain.

Robert Cross
    Presence
    (Stoic)
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Allies
    (Emergency Services)
    Contacts
    Status
    (Criminals)
    Robert Cross

NOS
    PRE

Spruced? Not exactly. "Yes. Things are moving along nicely I'd say. It's an interesting thing, Family. Vic kept me pretty well insulated back in LA. Didn't really have a feeling for the ties that bind. Unless the tie happened to be money." A soft chuckle. "I like it enough, though."

Cross listens to Roth's proposition. He'd been thinking about offering his help with something Roth had mentioned at the last court, about a Kindred gang stalking the edges of the Domain. This was a completely different matter, though. Little birdie, eh? And who would that be? Gilroy or Jack, possibly Alice. Cross isn't keen on others sharing his business, but in the end there's nothing to be done about it. "Well. I was a cop once. LAPD. And I've got some people here. Transplants and other associates. My pull's not as strong as I'd like it to be, but it's growing. What, exactly, do you need help with?" He'll need a better idea of what Roth wants done before he can make a judgement on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread