Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch

The Lady's Haunting

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    Striking Looks •••• (Intense Gaze, Stunning)
    BP •••
    Status (Invictus): ••
    Status (Domain): ••••

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Yes, and no," Victoria began slowly and thoughtfully as she leaned back in her seat and sifted slightly. "I honestly don't believe the beast can be domesticated fully. It is more like an eternal wrestling match, you know how Jacob wrestled with the angel? Only this match doesn't end and we aren't wrestling anything benevolent. If you show weakness or slip in your control it can have grave consequences. The Dragon's may have some tricks to enhance themselves or better the conditions of our existence, but I've never even heard of any who transcended it entirely."

Then Ventrue took her hands out of her lap and set them on the arm rests of her chair, drumming her fingers gently and rhythmically against the upholstery.

"Regardless, concerning the Carthians their main problem is they refuse to admit that they are no longer kine. They think like kine, they act like kine, they even try to govern themselves like kine, and what works for cattle doesn't work for the wolf. Furthermore, I don't buy into the...they don't respect any type of propriety...all peoples and groups have their own behavioral norms, it is just that many of their norms are kine ones. Also when your member base is insert every flavor of malcontent here, it doesn't really help form a cohesive whole. I think that many of the young ones are like children, when they are out there long enough the reality of their existence will hit them. Unfortunately for many this comes after they have already breached the masquerade by sharing too much with their 'friends' or killing those close to them in a momentary slip of control. They should be watched closely and taught when possible. Honestly the ones I can see myself at times worrying the most about are either the Crone, or Lance."

2. Likes West liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

Joseph tilted his head to the side, a finger coming to his lip in thought. Once removed he said, "'Only the dead know the end of war'," he said before pausing again. "I've always felt that quote fit the struggle with the beast quite well. And while I respect the Dragons for their attempts at controlling the beast I agree with you that it never truly can be tamed. I still like the idea of training our body to react to rules and order without thought, almost as if the less mental strain required to act as we should allows us to focus our spare willpower on attempting to reign in the beast."

His shifted his legs so that where his right once sat on top, now his left had taken its place. "Well I think we can agree if there's a difference between what works for wolves and what works for cattle, and their propriety is too connected or based on the cattle, then by their nature they don't respect 'true propriety' or propriety that actually fits and works," he said with a raised eyebrow, as if it was actually a question.

"It truly is telling that many young Kindred flock to the Movement like it understands something the Unconquered ignores, when I think it's clear they may just be more interested in power without the work. A way to succeed without the time and effort. But I wonder, what makes you worry about the Crone or Lance more?"

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Well in a way I think you're right. It isn't so much as training the beast so much as training the higher reasoning centers of our brains so we fall back into patterns of civility by habit. Kindred are very much creatures of habit after all, so it is best to capitalize on that strength." Victoria said thoughtfully before ceasing the drumming of her fingers.

"Well the movement is something familiar they can relate to in their modern life pre-embrace, like the Lance is for many too. But think about it, religious zeal always has the potential to be utterly disastrous and the enemy of reason. The Circle can fall into the trap of simply not caring about the masquerade and focusing on their bloody rituals. Combine that with a rapid slip in reason and humanity that many encounter leads to trouble when they stop caring about hiding the supernatural and endanger us all. The Lance are quite similar in many respects, much to their dismay I'm sure. Their founding philosophy is to glorify their monstrous nature. They are monsters for God from some mythical founding proto-vampire centurion. You can reason away many moral restrains or commit many horrible things all in the cause for some greater good and mission from God. The true believers are terrifying in either covenant. Science and secular humanism might very well be arguable as religions in their own right too. Look to the Nineteenth and Twentieth Century to see the horrible and unethical research done in the name of furthering science. I'd argue that only the Invictus has the perspective and secular distance as outsiders to truly reign in the other schools of thought from extremist behavior and endangering us all."

5. Likes West liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

Joseph's hands migrated to his lap as he listened. It seemed they were in agreement on a Kindred's nature, which was good to hear so he nodded his head as she spoke, feeling there was no need to go in a circle of confirmation.

At the shift to the topic of religion though he thought very carefully before speaking. "The Kine have shown themselves to be quiet excellent at doing many terrible things under the guise of religion. I would not doubt that Kindred could improve upon those types of mental gymnastics. It seems as if you're saying that the Invictus can almost act as a gatekeeper for all the covenants, keeping them in check when alone they would seek their own plans above all and bring ruin to us all," he said, nodding his head as he spoke, clearly in thought. "But, to clarify, is your concern mostly based in the ideas of those covenants as a whole, or what they could do if left unchecked?" She was taking the role of his teacher, and he wanted to learn all he could from a true Unconquered. He had allowed himself to drift so far from where he should be.

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Unfortunately, based on dogma of the other affiliations, it requires an assessment of people or groups on a case by case basis. From my experience the kindred that last around Sacramento gravitate to a more enlightened view of kindred existence, mainly with regard to the traditions, it is the careless and stupid ones that do not last. People who can not take the time to ensure they comply with the laws of the domain or show too much disrespect to those above their station. The prince does not tolerate gross insubordination. So you are more likely to encounter this last group than rogue covenants in Sacramento."

The ventrue once again moved her hands to her lap and laced her fingers together after shifting her posture. She looked intently to Greenberg with a pregnant pause.

"Which brings us to titles and modes of address, and they are not particularly difficult. Among the Unconquered getting a title wrong can have unfortunate consequences that are not present for others outside of our group. There can be some leeway for an initiate, but when they have been trained, and even when they mess up and have been corrected, but continue to...fuck up...it can move to the grounds of calculated insult, especially when one develops a track record." Victoria thought she didn't need to elaborate on that and then sighed after a brief moment realizing that she likely did need to elaborate. She continued with a slightly weary tone. "When you reach that point owing debts is an unlikely at best and impossible at worst. There are demands for monomacy when a person is suitably insulted if they feel like being official and polite about ending a person. Or a person may just leave the city some night quite unexpectedly. There are countless ways they can, in modern jargon, troll someone, if you will."

M
    Matrixchild

Joseph nodded along as Victoria spoke, until the conversation started to hit a little close to home. He could sense the conversation slowly drifting towards his focus until finally she made it clear with her transition to titles. He did not interrupt, even to comment. Instead he listened politely and waited until she finished.

"I understand that I have been given great mercy after my misconduct. I have heard stories of monomacy for less than my actions. I wish to learn from my mistake, so that I may not make it again. I do not wish to insult any member of the Unconquered and understand that I am already on a short lease due to my lapses in etiquette. Since we're talking about titles though, I had a questions I'd like to ask, in order to completely avoid the issue in the future." He paused as he shifted in his seat. "My title is Master, and shall be until you and his Grace deem me worthy of membership. But in normal tongue, Mister generally is the title of usage. I also understand we should generally refrain from using Invictus titles around those who are not members or those seeking membership. How should I address myself around those not in the Invictus, so that I may avoid another lapse in etiquette?"

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

The Ventrue sat listening to the worm sitting before her, keeping her face polite and attentive. She was pleased that he was taking an interest in bettering himself and hoped that it would continue and that the lessons would take hold.

"Excellent point, and one that I wanted to address," Victoria said nodding pleasantly. "Master is one of those titles that has fallen into disuse by the general public. So like you said, care must be taken to avoid it around kine. If you need to use a form of address mister or miss would be an acceptable choice; any reasonable member of the Invictus will understand the necessity. I would also avoid using your first name with introductions among kindred, some may take it as permission to be familiar. Notice how I introduce myself as Lady Stamford? It isn't required just helps avoid trouble. Furthermore, you don't hear me introducing myself as Doctor Stamford to...well anyone really...unless in a scholarly setting. We don't introduce ourselves as doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc...that is what kindred have servants and ghouls for. A notable exception might be if it is relevant to the conversation or among kine."

Victoria sat up and shifted forward a bit on her seat. She tugged at the hem of her dress to ensure it stayed in place and leaned forward slightly.

"Much of title usage is situational. You will encounter distinguished people with many titles. The choice of title will much about the topic at hand or setting. If you are speaking with the prince and addressing Invictus matters or among a group of Invictus only, then Your Grace is good or Alder Judex if speaking to him as the chief officer. If you wanted to address your priscus concerning his role as regent then one might use that title or if you want to address him as the head of the family or impart a sense of kinship then priscus might be appropriate. There are a few people with titles of function in the domain the reeve, judex, priscus, and prince are an example of some. You can think of them as specialties or acknowledged experts in a field, so having such a title gives additional status to a person. As I mentioned before, it takes some discernment to know which title to use in which situation. It may be best to address the prince as Alder Prince while at court as one's sovereign for example. Keep in mind that many titles may be used at different points of a conversation with the same person in the same sitting depending on topic of conversation and whom is present. Furthermore, when in public or at an entirely kine event like on the main floor of a club, mortal party, charity event, etc, you would address him as Mister Clarke as one might address a respected business man or CEO."

M
    Matrixchild

Some of the information was new, some of it was old, but either way he would learn it all. "That all makes a great deal of sense Lady Stamford. As with many things in life it is situational and I shall be focused on making sure I understand the appropriate contexts for each title. But to be clear though, I should use Master Greenberg around Kindred while Mister Greenberg would be adequate if Kine are present?" he asked, because making things clear seemed the smart thing to do. He was certainly surprised to leave that Victoria were a doctor though. Another piece of information for the memory banks.

"Now when it comes to addressing you around Kine, should the need arise, would you prefer Lady Stamford, or Miss Stamford? I know Lady, in many situations, has fallen out of favor as Master has with the Kine." She had certainly provided many great examples and yet it was all surely a dance he would have to learn quickly if he wanted to stay above water.

Lady Reeve Stamford
    Lady Reeve Stamford

Presence ••• (Dominant)
    BP •••

+2
    SL
    PRE

"Certainly, Master Greenberg among kindred, and Mister Greenberg among kine. Not everyone is as formal with titles, and it is up to you if you wish to allow familiarity among those outside the Invictus, but anyone within our ranks it carries an intimate connotation especially using a first name. However, it can lead to misunderstandings if allowed," Victoria said sitting back up strait.

"As for my name Doctor Stamford, or Miss Stamford would be fine. If you find me at the Asylum some may even refer to me as my stage name, Lady Crimson, but generally only when I'm occupied. Did you have any further questions? You can always ask someone how they would like addressed if you're unsure. If you don't given what we discussed, what do you feel should be done about your mistake?"

The Ventrue sat back and ignored the crawling of her skin as she studied the man intently, gauging his response.

12. Likes West liked this post
    M
    Matrixchild

Joseph nodded his head in understanding as she answered his questions. "I will certainly remember to ask if I have any confusion before I put my foot in my mouth." Then Victoria mentioned punishment and Joseph tensed up. "I would help that I may owe the one I have insulted a boon of some type, but since I am currently learning etiquette from you I would imagine that errors on my part would be clear signs that I am not fit for membership in the Unconquered. I doubt I would receive a third chance, since I have already failed before."

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Closed Thread