A Motley's Seed

THREADID
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

Additional Identifying Features:
    A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Unlike the last time Ramona had been at the Wasp's home, everything was clean and in its place, fresh flowers sitting in petit vases on the coffee table and island that separated the dining room from the living room, and a few scented candles had shed their perfume into the air though they sat empty of flame now. The curtains were drawn back, spilling the brilliance of Sacramento's sunlight throughout the space, bringing a vitality to the home that had not existed before. Or perhaps that was just the impression Ramona got because of the Wasp, who seemed to be almost giddy as she ushered Ramona towards a sit in the living room and then bustled off to bring them cups of tea and a plate of pastries.

"I'm so glad you came," Coco exclaimed as she set their refreshments down and then slid onto the couch, tucking her legs under her.

"I can say I hosted royalty, now!" she shared with a laugh before reaching over and picking up her tea.

"Well no, that's not why I'm happy you're here, but you do have to admit, that's quite a change from when we last spoke. How are you settling into the Crown? Do you feel any different, or is the responsibility not much different from the mantle you picked up when you became the General?"

The ogress has to be mindful of relaxing in the Wasp's presence. Their last conversation in this room had been... tense. It had certainly given her a better understanding of the Wasp, but not a full one. So much about her is still unpredictable. It's cause for awareness, and some tension. Deliberately, Ramona eases it. Trying not to let it bother her. She picks up the tea and sips, then shakes her head at Coco's question. "It's different," she answers. "When I was just the General, I had someone to answer to. The Steward, the Sovereigns. Someone to give me direction, even if I didn't like it. It also sort of... defers responsibility somewhat. Now? The buck stops here. I'm deciding direction. For my Court, and for one season a year, for this Freehold." She shrugs, and concludes, "It feels different.

"Please though, don't call me royalty," she adds a moment later, wincing. "To me it implies... I don't know, hereditary power. That's not where my power comes from, or any other Sovereign's, and it's certainly not where it's going to go when the crown leaves me." Although if Ramona is slain in contest for the crown, you could call her killer a 'relation by blood,' in a sense. "It feels kinda weird that this happened when it did," she goes on, with a mildly amused expression. "Four or five months earlier? I would've been the queen of a court of one."

The Wasp's smile turned impish, the temptation to answer Ramona's request with 'of course, your majesty,' rising up to the tip of her tongue, but instead she let her tea drown the impulse as she took a thoughtful sip. It was a bit early in their relationship for such teasing, especially given the way their last conversation had ended, not to mention how their very first meeting had gone.

Still, Coco couldn't help but offer a slight contradiction when her mouthful of tea had been swallowed. She couldn't hide all of herself, not if this relationship were ever to truly work. Besides, she thought the eldritch smith would be interested to hear what she had so, so with that playful smirk still upon her lips Coco phrased her question.

"Are you sure you don't mean to say that it feels rather Wyrd? Or, well, perhaps it's a bit reductive to boil the Wyrd down to mean just fate, but the Wyrd is a force that is intimately tied to our kind. In fact, I've actually begun some serious efforts to be able to interpret that sort of thing, but that's a tangent I suppose,"
    Coco rambled, pausing for a brief moment to re-order her thoughts.

"What I mean to say is, perhaps this is precisely the opposite of a coincidence. As you said, your Sovereignty is granted to you by a very specific force, and that force surely knew that others under the banner of Summer were moving to this city. In fact, it was likely at the call of that force that lead our previous rulers away. So I'm not surprised to hear that it feels odd for you, though I would take heart. I think this is a sign that proves you're deserving of being called royalty.

"Which, yes, I won't call you that any longer,"
    Coco added quickly, "it's not something I said to bother you, but I do want to point out that that's not a word that originally meant the bearer of hereditary power. In the days of kings, their position was thought to be granted to them by the gods, whether that was a bearded white man with nails in his hands, lightning, or whether it was merely a presence in a nemeton. Which is a tad different from the Wyrd, I will admit, but some could still call it divine right if they were so inclined."

She shifts in her seat. A stony joint clicks. The ogress frowns mildly. "I don't like that," she announces. She's not saying it isn't true, of course, but she's not very happy about it. "I spent too much of my life letting other people control me. Control who I am. Control my future." A prim and proper little girl singing hymns in a church in America's heartland. A blacksmith chained to her anvil, fed on gravel and ash and scraps, beaten as hard as the metal she worked. A soldier in someone else's army, someone she trusted, someone she believed in, but still someone else. A discontent newcomer in a tiny Court where their leader refused to guide them. Each time, save one, a decision to act on her own put the power back in her hands. The exception... was death severing her strings and casting her adrift. And each time, she'd said the same thing; "Never again," she tells Coco, returning her gaze to the Wasp.

"The Wyrd may have crowned me, may have given me a court of followers, but..." she frowns, then stretches out a harm, palm down, fingers extended, "I made the choice to take it," her hand closes into a fist, as if gripping something. She lets her hand fall, "I didn't like it, but I wasn't going to let some stranger take control of my Court, take control of me. Besides, there was nobody who's been here longer, done more, or could do the job better." Her eyes return to Coco again, "That's what I told them. The ones who showed up. I asked them if any of them thought they deserved it more. Thought they could do the job better. Thought they were more worthy of the crown than I was." She relaxes back into her seat, ["... It wasn't exactly your blind vote, but it was a unanimous decision.

"So..." she goes on, with another sigh. "Napoleon crowned himself. Was he royalty?" Not that Ramona intends to be a Napoleon. She can hear herself, after all. How it sounds, to have claimed power so. Why there might be some concerns about it going to her head. Everybody says it could never happen to me. But Ramona knows she needs to keep listening to herself, keep examining her own thoughts, her own actions. A preventative measure, against such ego. Though it'll get a little dry if everyone else questions her as much as she questions herself.

Coco considered for a moment, sipping at her tea, then gave a dramatic shrug, saying, "well, I'm sure he thought so, but really he couldn't have been. The revolution at that point had effectively driven Christianity into hiding, so there really wasn't anything to grant him divine right at that point. And, even though he did get overthrown, he wasn't executed like the French nobility was. So no, I don't think he quite fits.

"Good question, though,"
    she added, leaning over to pick a chocolate croissant and nibbling a bite off of the deliciously saturated end of the pasty and took a moment to hum contentedly before she set it down onto her little tea plate and licked her fingers clean.

"Also, I do want to say that I get what you mean. The idea of something as weird as the Wyrd, or as tyrannical as Fate, lining us up like pieces on a chess board isn't something that I particularly enjoy, either. Particularly since it made Lynn Mills, of all people, my Liege. So trust me, I can understand not wanting to be beholden to someone you dislike. I'm still living it, to some degree or other,"
    Coco confessed before burying her frown back into the chocolatey embrace of her croissant.

If Napoleon isn't royal, than neither is Ramona, in her eyes. Point settled, or at least appearing to be so, the conversation moves on. Unable to resist the pastries any longer, Ramona plucks one up at random, and brings it to her mouth, chewing contemplatively as Coco steers the dialogue around to her own court, and her new sovereign. "Mm," she agrees, "... What exactly happened, if you don't mind my asking?" She pauses, watching Coco, "I mean, a lot changed, really quickly. How'd it all work out?"

"I think that still remains to be seen," Coco replied, reaching up to try and wipe some of the chocolate off of her mouth with her thumb, only to realize that she was basically just spreading the delicious mess around. Damn. And she'd forgotten napkins.

Giving a disatisfied moue, the wasp hurriedly set her tea and pastry down and then popped off the couch to rush over and grab paper towels for both her and her guest. Not that she suspected the smith was adverse to getting a bit dirty, but she'd just cleaned her living room, after all, and no one wanted chocolate stains on their couch! So, thus armed with agents of cleanliness, she returned and plopped down onto the couch to continue their conversation.

"Basically, it started out as you'd imagine," she began, handing a paper-towel-turned-napkin to the Queen across from her.

"Lynn proclaimed her desire for the Crown, and I raised an objection against it. And no, the objection wasn't that I didn't like her, despite what you might have heard," Coco emphatically added. "Rather, it was that, in my experience, Lynn hasn't tried to help me better understand or achieve my Desires. And I know that might seem quibbley to some, but as I'm sure you know, the Sovereign of a Seasonal Court is more than just a decision maker. They're the personification of the season itself; a focus for its energies, a...a channel for the protection it grants us. But if a Sovereign doesn't really uphold that which the court stands for, well, that seems dangerous to me.

"So I raised the objection. And, truthfully, I was just hoping for her to acknowledge it. To say, 'yes, you're right, but I promise to do better,' and then I would have been happy. Or mollified, at the least. More willing to accept her as my Queen. Instead, though, she disregarded what I had to say and acted as though it wasn't worth considering. And, in the face of that, there wasn't anything else to do besides vote. Lynn was one candidate of course. Juno, a returned resident of the Freehold was another, and finally my...well, Daisy Wen, someone I'm dating, was another."

Coco lapsed into a momentary silence, 'Daisy as Queen' springing to life in her mind's eye as she took another sip of tea, but then fading again as the Wasp resumed the story.

"Anyways, Lynn was made Queen, chosen by enough of us, and the Wyrd I suppose, and then it came time to settle onto the topic of our Courtly titles. A new face in the court, Artemis, confessed to desiring the title of Claviger. Given that I didn't have much desire to be at the immediate beck and call of someone that obviously didn't care much for me, and that I assumed Lynn would be relieved not to have to deal with me, I agreed to let the title of Claviger go. And, in truth, I'm not sad about that. It might be the only title in my court that explicitly speaks for martial talent, but that's no reason to keep a title.

"Besides, I was actually rather enamored by the position of Verdant Advocate. It seemed like the perfect way to embrace my new situation, given that it had been my misguided passions that had gotten me in trouble with Lynn in the first place, and, as the Verdant Advocate, it would be my duty to help those who's passions had similarly led them astray. I will defend them no matter which laws they might be endangered by, and help guide them back towards a safe path besides. So I'm still a protector, just not one whose title emphasizes their skill with a sword any longer.

"Though, honestly, I wish my title still did have that emphasis,"
    Coco added with a sigh. "I feel like people are too apt to forget where my true talent lies since I'm not a part of Summer."

The pastry has already vanished into her gullet, and a second along with it. Though observation would reveal the Ramona as an on-again off-again dieter with some concern over her appearance, in the end she is still an Ogre, with an appetite to match. Mindful of the first time they met, where Coco apparently took offense when Ramona accepted her offer of pastries but did not immediately express her gratitude, Ramona mutters, "Fheez 'er gooff. Fhanksh," around bites, during a pause in Coco's story. She takes the offered napkin, but she's still getting crumbs on her shirt, and likely other places as well.

At the end, she shakes her head, "I call bullshit. You'd never let anyone forget how good you are with a sword," she tells Coco with a smirk and an amused and indulgent tone. "I mean, no offense, but you kinda rub people's faces in it. That and your," she raises her hands to do air quotes, "Untouchability." She lowers her hands and shrugs, "Not that you don't deserve to be proud," Especially considering that Coco apparently derives the majority of her self-worth out of such skills, "You gotta do you. And part of doing you is not letting us forget that you could slip a blade between our ribs whenever you please." Not a great way to make friends, Coco. But if that's who you gotta be, it's who you gotta be.

"Listen, I don't claim to understand Spring, or Lynn. I'm on the outside looking in with the former, and I hardly know the latter. But... I know what it's like to have a Sovereign that's not doing what a Sovereign is there for." Goddamn it, Lucas. "It sucks... But your court is bigger than mine was then. Maybe if Lynn won't help you, the others might? Daisy, she's one of yours, right?" The mention of Coco dating in passing had not gone unnoticed. Good, good. Maybe this will make it easier for her to hear that I might possibly be having a sort of approximately 'first date' sort of situation with Vivian that might not be anything of the kind at all.

The Wasp was silent for a few moments, her eyes sliding from Ramona to stare at the flighty dips and circles of her pet fish and it's colorful aquatic dance. Though, no matter how beautiful the little creature's movement was, Coco's gaze was not truly resting upon it, but rather was invariably drawn inward, prodded by Ramona's words into reconsidering why she did what she did, and who that meant she really was, if she was 'doing her'.

Finally, breaking out of her brief reverie, Coco leaned over and pushed the tray of pastries closer to Ramona and selected another for herself before settling back with a sigh.

"You're right. Ultimately, it's not something that I should get so fixated upon. For whatever reason, Lynn is Queen now, but I have other people to turn to. Others within my court, for one, but I happen to know of two other Queens that have helped me tremendously, too," Coco said with a smile blooming across her face.

"And you're right, I probably do spend far too much time talking about that part of myself. It's just...Well, I've spent so long thinking that that's my only way to contribute. And I want to contribute. I want to be someone that helps our community. Which, yes, I know we've already talked about that, but here's the thing: I brag because I'm afraid that if I don't, I won't be called and I'll miss my opportunity. Which I suppose seems obvious, and probably silly as well, but there you have it. Desire mingling with Fear and producing what you called 'me'. The funny thing is, though, it's actually what's underneath that Desire and Fear that's actually me.

But that's for me to continue to discover, I suppose,"
    Coco elaborated with a shrug before biting into her own pastry.

"What about you?" she asked around the sugary dough. "Feeling well discovered?"

The ogress chews contemplatively while she considers Coco's question. "Partially, I guess," she finally answers. Like the Wasp before, her gaze goes inward, pensive, "... I mean, what do people think when they think about me? At a guess: General. Fighter. Ogre. Blacksmith. Hard core. Grumpy. Butch." That last one has a little extra emphasis. She doesn't like the term or think it's particularly accurate, and feels it pigeon-holes her. "But anything more?" She shrugs, "There's more than that to who I am. That's all... undiscovered, I guess. Some of it intentionally." But not all of it.

She returns her attention to Coco, "Have we helped?" She asks, "Because honestly, I haven't been sure. It seems like... you and I, we get right up onto the edge of having a fight a lot." It's taken a lot of restraint not to launch into a shouting match with Coco, sometimes. From both of them, no doubt. "It's good to know that you're getting something positive out of it," This also being the first time the Wasp has expressed any such appreciation. "I know you value masks and roles, but... discovering you, I'm interested in that. That person underneath the Desire and the Fear? I want to meet her. If you'd ever care to introduce us," she says with a small smile.

"Well, believe it or not, I actually have been trying," Coco replied, setting her pastry plate down and wiping at her hands.

"It's just that, it's not so much that I like masks and roles, it's that they're what I know. So much so that I'm not even sure what lies beneath them. Learning about myself...I'm finding it's like learning subtext for a play. It's like looking at the reflections of what I've done, or listening for the unspoken words underneath what I've said. Even during the times when I've felt the most honest, such as when I vented my anger on Morgan, Lynn or Milo, the real me was still buried beneath the reason for why I wanted to vent my anger in the first place."

Coco shifted on the couch, bringing a pillow onto her lap, arms casually wrapping around it.

"I'll keep trying to introduce us, but I think we'll both just have to be patient. I mean, like you said, there's more to you than just what appears on the surface, and even within the surface, there's many meanings that can go ignored. Some might hear blacksmith and think of sweat and muscles. Another might imagine an artist that sees beauty in practicality and form. And perhaps they're both right, or perhaps neither are right for you. That's why I think we just have to keep trying to listen to the other. And commit to that. Which doesn't mean we might not need space, or that we can't disagree, just that we'll keep making the effort to hear the other person,"
    Coco suggested, regarding Ramona seriously as she waited for her response.

That might be the healthiest thing Ramona has ever heard Coco say. It earns a moment of quiet reflection from the ogress. As the moment passes, she nods, "I think it says a lot of us both that we keep trying." A little pat on the back for each of them, "I think that part of what you said is good to draw extra attention to; acknowledging boundaries. Having boundaries is healthy, even in your most intimate relationships. I think that talking about them can help." She frowns, and purses her lips. These are subjects that she's not used to talking about out loud, or with such verbosity. Especially with Coco. "I didn't mean to... imply that you haven't been trying," she says, becoming careful with her enunciation and pace. Trying to choose words deliberately, for as much clarity as she can. After all, Ramona has made Coco aware of her lack of skill for subtext, so if Ramona speaks clearly, she reasons that she cannot be at fault if her words are misinterpreted. "I was trying to say that it seemed to me like your 'masks and roles' are a boundary for you, and I was trying to respect that. To respect it, but to also say that I'm interested in who you are beyond that, if you, on your own prerogative, ever wanted to go there."

She takes a sip of her tea. She's gone a little bit tense, as the conversation has transitioned to this place. Not because of Coco, but because of Ramona herself, trying to be aware of what she's saying to the Wasp, trying to articulate complex thoughts and emotions in a clear way. "It's totally legitimate to not know who you are under the masks and roles, though," she goes on. "I was like that. I was like that for a long time. Trying to discover that person... is scary. And confusing. And sometimes it hurts, on it's own, or seeing how it changes your world. And it's really, really hard. So, I get it, and I'm not trying to pressure you or anything." Really, it occurs to Ramona that she may have more in common with Coco than she first realized. Coco's parents pushed her into a mold, just like the smith's did. Ramona broke out of her mold relatively early, back in high school. Coco might only now be starting to crack her's. Don't make assumptions, though. Just let Coco be wherever she is.

"But when it comes to hearing each other, I want to remind you of something I told you a while ago; I'm bad at subtext. I try to say what I honestly think, and I get... frustrated when others don't do the same." She leans forward a little bit, "Conversations like this? Where we can directly address an issue, openly? Not talk around it, but face it head-on? They're really beneficial to me, they're really what I prefer," she says with a detectable amount of relief in the words. "I hope that it's not pushing your boundaries too much, because this kind of thing really works for me. That... level of honesty is one of my boundaries," she frowns, and licks her lips, "But... it means that there's going to be times when yeah, I'm going to distance myself from you, for my own sake. Because of your masks and roles, which," she adds quickly, and holds up a hand, patting the air for emphasis, "Are totally legitimate boundaries of your own." Slowly, she lowers her hand, and sighs, "... I just don't think it's healthy for me to be around that. I really hope that's not too hurtful to you, I don't do it to hurt you. I do it for me. To take care of myself."

"Well good. I also don't want to hurt you, so if you need space to take care of yourself then you should have it. But it does help me when you don't walk away. When you do tell me that the masks and roles are bullshit. Because they're not legitimate boundaries," Coco confessed, holding the pillow tighter.

"They're just baggage that I'm trying to work through. Costumes and props that I haven't realized I need to throw away yet. Because sometimes they just look like my clothes. Do you understand what I'm trying to you? It is my prerogative to show you who I am. I do want to go there. Right now. It's just that my heart is too good at fooling itself. At not recognizing the core of what causes it pain. Or what it really desires. So I can't just strip and give you a twirl and say, 'this is really me'."

And honestly, she doubted that even Ramona could do that, no matter how much she liked honesty. Identity itself was something that was built, and only four things in that construction were real: anger, desire, fear, and sorrow. Those were the tools for refinement, the diving rods for the mysteries of the self. That was why the Fae could not understand them, monstrous fragments of fakery that they were. That was why the Seasonal Courts gave refuge to the Lost as they did. And, if Coco started to pay attention to what those emotions told her, then she would learn who she really was.

At this, Ramona's expression changes. It's not quite the same as her usual, stand-offish reserve. It's more... contemplative. And perhaps like she's steeling herself? Measuring both internal and external forces. For Ramona had once told Ava recently that she didn't want to be responsible for Coco's emotional maintenance. She has enough of her own shit to deal with, after all. Coco hasn't ever done a lot to endear herself to Ramona, either. Yet, with Ava's input, she'd also... sort of agreed to try? To give Coco a chance. She draws in a deep breath and lets it out, then gives Coco a determined look in the eyes. "I understand what you're saying... Ok. If you want me to call you on your bullshit, I can do that. I've wanted to, but I've held back because it's your business, and to a certain extent I try not to judge. I thought it would hurt more than help. If this will help you, though, I can do that. Maybe not all the time. I might still go away, when I need to. But I know myself and my boundaries well enough to make that judgement call, on my own. I can take care of myself." She would prefer not to have to so thoroughly defend herself from the Wasp's venom, of course, but... this is a process.

"Ah, well now, if you've wanted to then I'm glad you won't be holding back any longer," Coco replied, a bright smile blossoming onto her lips once more. Desire, after all, was certainly a good sign. One that would lead both of them closer to the truth and further from the beguiling fantasies that got between them.

"So," Coco chirped, setting the pillow aside, "now that we've gotten all of that out in the open, what would you like to talk about? I wouldn't mind hearing more about you. You said you weren't sure what people thought of when they thought of you. Would you like to expound on that? Perhaps tell me more about what you see? Or what you'd like to see?"
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

2. Likes Yumyumcrow, InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Mask: A slim, young woman with dyed hair, a mischievous smile, and laughing brown eyes.

Mien: Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace.

A tattoo of a jeweled wasp sits perched atop a thick and gnarled white "branch" that stretches several inches upwards from her left wrist, though the branch is clearly a scar.

A tattoo of a frayed, torn, and dirty golden banner trails around her right wrist, with another long scar forming the "mounting" for the banner.
    Coco's Mien

Coco's eyes are split into four facets that give a kaleidoscope appearance to her irises and two delicate antenna are perched on her forehead. Her nails are also like pieces of black carapace, and her waist is tapered much like a wasps.

Mantle:
    Surrounding Coco is the subtle sensation of warm sun and the smell of fresh, floral growth.

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Again, the ogres frowns. Someone might have legitimate concern that her face is going to stick that way someday. She's hesitated to talk much about herself to Coco in the past. The more you learn who someone is, the more vulnerable they become to you. Mutual vulnerability is often a good thing in relationships, when it comes with trust. People need other people that they can safely be vulnerable to. But Ramona doesn't feel safe around Coco. Too many times she's observed Coco try to hurt someone, often successfully, for reasons the ogress still doesn't fully understand. Ramona does not want to become one of Coco's victims. Any potential ammunition Ramona gave Coco would certainly be used by the Wasp the next time a petty thought crossed her mind or she could derive some advantage for it. At least, that's the conclusion Ramona has been working off of so far.

Still, Coco has been saying the right things. She's a Fairest, and a manipulator, and her words can never be fully trusted, but she's been saying the right things. Maybe it's time to start taking some chances on her. Small ones, with small consequences for failure, but chances. "Right now I'm having a bit of an issue; how I would like people to see me, and how I need people to see me, don't always coincide," she begins. "With the crown, to some degree, I need to... project an image. I would like to do that by embodying the image, by making the image true, but whether it's true or not, I need to project it: Competence. I'm in charge, and you can rely on me. The idea that I know what I'm doing, even if I don't." She frowns, "I don't need to wield unquestionable authority, I don't even want to, but... in my Court, and in the Freehold when I'm up in the rotation, I'd like everyone to be... reasonably assured that I have a handle on things."

She sighs and sits back in her seat, "That's not exactly what I want, though. I've never wanted the crown, I took it because I think I'm the best one in the Freehold for the job, but I've never wanted it. I would much rather have a leader to follow, someone I can believe in, someone powerful and smart and beneficent." She glances at Coco and shrugs, "It would mean less work for me, you know? Less stress, less pressure. I could enjoy life more, and I could focus on my role in the fight, something smaller and more manageable. I could do my work in the forge, and do my part on the battlefield, and otherwise... enjoy fulfilling my desires, I guess." She sighs, "But... that's not the way the world works. Not right now. Certainly it's not how the wyrd works. Somebody needs to rule this court, and I think I'd be doing everyone, including myself, a disservice if it wasn't me. I just don't see any better options."

Still sitting back, she ponders for a moment, eyes distant. "What I see in myself... is someone who's worked hard to develop a strong sense of self. Of who I am, who I want to be, who I can be and what I can do if called upon. And I am really proud of myself for that. For being me, with all the effort and the struggle it took for me to find out who and what that is." There's a pause, as she thinks some more, "... What I'd like to see in myself? Someone who can kick your ass six ways from Sunday, and still be sexy and confident out in a club or on a date. Someone who always knows where she's going in life, and is always one step ahead of the enemy. Someone who can do finesse when the situation calls for it, but who has enough strength that it usually isn't necessary. Someone that terrifies the Fae, because she'll march into your Arcadian heaven and turn it into hell, burn down your gardens, massacre your minions, and lop your head off with one clean stroke," her fingers twitch, like she's reaching for an invisible sword-handle. "Someone who's a good friend, because you can trust her and she helps you. Someone with good friends of her own, who trust and help her, and value her for who she is."

She frowns. What comes next is a more personal matter, and more immediate. But she's on a roll, she has a patter, and with a snap decision she goes on, "Someone who can show up for an event at the Rose Garden or the Blue Note and not feel like a blemish on a party fully of shiny, happy people holding hands because not only is she not adorable and dainty and saccharine, she doesn't want to be those things, and doesn't want others to want her to be them either. Someone who can walk into one of those rooms and say 'fuck your expectations, I am who I am, all day every day, and who I am is a badass warrior queen with an unshakeable cool and an unbeatable heat'."

Coco listened intently to what Ramona had to say, the chocolatey goodness of pastries and delightfully contrasting bitterness of tea entirely forgotten as she absorbed what the other woman had to say. It was fascinating to hear the normally tight lipped warrior open up, and more than that, it was astounding to learn that, in many ways, the perfect self that Ramona envisioned wasn't entirely distant from what Coco envisioned for herself. Not to mention the Queen's discussion of projecting an image after all their discussion on roles and masks. She must realize the irony there (and the damage that irony could do to the fae), but thankfully, Coco's own experience with masks and roles did give her some insight into that situation. Or, at least, she thought that it did.

"You know, Ramona," Coco said once the warrior queen had finished speaking, "the ideal self that you described and the image you feel you have to project don't have to be mutually exclusive. Wouldn't a badass warrior queen with an unshakeable cool and an unbeatable heat also be competent, dependable, and have a handle on things?"

A scarlet brow was raised to punctuate the point, though Coco didn't pause for a reply but instead pressed on.

"Really, I think you just need to consider seeing your appointment as Queen in a new light. Instead of viewing it as a burden, perhaps view it as the challenge that will hone you into the version of you that you want to be. No blade is forged without fire and hammer blows, after all. Perhaps this is just the process that will help you bring out those best qualities of yourself. Because decapitating true fae with a single stroke aside, I think you're far closer to that ideal than you think you are. As you said, you just need friends that can help! And, thankfully, you happen to have the attention of one right now.

The grin that appeared on the Wasp's face was all delight and satisfaction, the Wasp recognizing the opportunity to win Ramona's favor in easy reach. Well, not easy, per se, but far more attainable than it had appeared to be even moments before.

"I know you might be reluctant to listen to what I have to say,"
    Coco added, a hand rising in a placating gesture, "but I'd love the chance to help you at least as much as you've helped me, and I know I can help you with at least three of those things that you listed. We can even just start slow: starting with how you dress. Not that there's anything wrong with that, by the way, but if you want to walk into a room and have your presence say 'fuck your expectations, this is me,' then that's where we'd start. And we could move on to dancing, for clubs or for dates, after that."

She'd been thinking about Coco's response. Maybe I didn't articulate that exactly right. That last part she'd tacked on was a little impulsive. Wanting to be seen as a badass warrior queen. It's a new desire, and driven by necessity. Not that she doesn't want it, if she's going to be a queen anyway she might as well get some mileage out of it, but that it is… less preferable compared to her ideal world of smaller, more achievable dreams of following a good leader, slaking her thirst for vengeance, and otherwise living indulgently. But then Coco mentions her wardrobe, and she immediately feels her defensive hackles rising. It's practically a conditioned response at this point, telling people to fuck off if they don't like how she's dressed, her hair cut, how she looks in general. A response that's been less necessary since she's moved to the West coast, but is still strong. Creatures of lesser will might wither and die under the glare Coco draws from the ogress. A moment of silence stretches uncomfortably, before Ramona finally unclenches her jaw, "… What did you have in mind?"

"Well, I happen to know a certain Autumn Courtier that runs a boutique," Coco replied after a moment of silence, the Iron Queen's glare smothering a portion of the Wasp's smile.

"I'm sure that if we three put our heads together we'd be able to find you something you love. Terri might tend a bit more towards bright and shiny on the outside, but trust me, she once ruled the Court of Fear, not to mention that she doesn't have blackbird feathers in her hair for nothing. I'm sure she can tap into a sharp edged realm of fashion inspiration that's just as intense as you need it to be. Though, honestly, before we even think about venturing off to a boutique together, I'd need to hear more about what you think about what you wear. What you think it says, and why you like it. That will give the foundation we need to transform your apparel into something magnificent for you."

It would be too easy to go off on a tangent about what she saw Ramona's outfits looking like. Much better to hear from the woman who would end up wearing them. Especially if Coco didn't want Ramona to take her fierce expression and just walk on out of the door...

The mighty hands of the ogress reflexively ball into fists as Coco suggests they seek Terri's fashion advice. Noticing this, she intentionally relaxes them, fingers loosening. Then her shoulders, loosening them. Then her neck. Then a deep breath. By design, her irritation, that rising anger, cools. Ramona's wrath works for her, not the other way around, and she has plenty of tools to make sure it stays that way. She sees Terri, in many ways, as her opposite. Not entirely, but in many noticeable ways. Terri is classically pretty, dainty, and adorable. In all the ways that Ramona just said she doesn't want to be, and resents others wanting her to be. If Coco is one of the people that wants her to be that? Well, that flare of anger was entirely justified. Her jaw is tight, teeth clenched. She picks up her cup of tea and sips, deliberately relaxing those muscles. Don't judge too quickly. Don't judge too quickly. Coco and Terri, they're Freeholders, give them the benefit of the doubt. That's just so hard to do sometimes. But a struggle worth continuing.

That said, a discussion of her personal fashion had been one of the directions she'd expected a conversation with Coco to go. It would not be out-of-character for the wasp to use it as an opportunity to bombard her with stings and venom, regardless of whether she had a reasonable justification for doing so. Mentally, Ramona girds herself. Then she takes a moment to actually think about what Coco is asking her, pondering, "... What I wear makes me feel comfortable, and at-ease. It makes me feel like I'm ready for anything. It makes me feel like I'm my own person, take it or leave it. I like jeans because they feel good and they work. They're tough enough that I don't have to be gentle with them, the pairs I buy have functional pockets, and they look nice without a lot of effort. I like my boots. My boots make me feel like a badass. I have specific pairs of kick-your-ass boots. I tend towards Doc Martens whenever I can afford it. Do not try to put me in heels, I want my boots." She pauses, then adds a personal detail, "They also provide cushioning. Which is... something I need in footwear." She taps her stone knuckles against the her teacup.

She pauses for a moment, then goes on, "I like leather. I like how it looks, I like how it moves, I like how it feels. You've got to take better care of it than denim to keep it looking good, but I like that it's tough in it's own way. It's tough and it helps me feel tough, you know?" She frowns in thought, "I don't want to have to be worried about what I wear. I don't want to have to run off and change if I need to follow some asshole into the hedge, or fight off a hob, or hop into a ditch to help somebody out." She glances down at her shirt, and plucks at it, "And... T-shirts are easy and comfy. I have a lot of band t-shirts because I like music," she shrugs., then smirks at Ramona, "Bet you'd get a kick out of a couple of Jack Off Jill shirts I got in my closet." She sighs, and tilts her chin up, looking at the ceiling. "I haven't had much cause to break anything else out of my closet recently. Nothing to really dress up for." Certainly no dates. Until recently... maybe.

After a moment's quiet contemplation, she lifts her head and looks at Coco with a little, lopsided smirk, "When we first met, did you think I was a skinhead?" The nordic runes, the leather and denim. The look on Coco's face when she first saw her coming over. It's not a huge stretch.

The Wasp froze, as though she'd been caught with her hand in a place where it should not be, but then she gave an insect-quick nod.

"It was the doc martins, honestly. Like you said, they're known as shit kickers pretty much everywhere, and when you've been in the Pride circles that I used to run in you learned to look out for certain combinations of things. Like, well, norse iconography and shit kicking boots."

Coco's head ducked, abashed, just for a moment before she shrugged met Ramona's gaze again. "Like I was saying, what you choose to wear can say a lot about you. And yes, I do realize that the norse iconography isn't something you're choosing to wear, but the boots definitely are. Which is fine! We can just update the style. Say, combat boots instead of Martens. And band tee-shirts are fine, I suppose, they do show off your arms, which are excellent by the way, but we could do more. Namely, with the neckline. Oooh, or something to show off your abs! Now that would be sexy," the Wasp added with a sudden, toothy grin.

"That's the benefit of revealing. No one can deny you aren't showing you, and its easy to move in. Take club wear. Sure, it's intended to present, if you will, but it's also intended to facilitate dancing in a hot, sweaty environment. We can just borrow that part principle, if we want to. Hmmm, I'm just spit balling here,"
    Coco mused, tapping her chin with an index finger, "but I'm thinking combat boots, leather pants with a hand forged belt buckle, a tank top to show off a tantalizing slice of stomach, and you could throw on a leather jacket with studs if you wanted. Hmm. Maybe a bit too 'biker chick'. We'd want to punk it up a bit, I think. Besides, we should also figure out something more formal for you. Give your wardrobe contrast so even dressing down acts as a statement."

The mention of her abs makes Ramona pause, and glance at the half-eaten pastry in her hand. With her other hand she pinches her belly between thumb and index finger. Apparently dissatisfied, she dumps the pastry back into the box with an uncomfortable expression. It's said that you don't get your abs in the gymn, you get them in the kitchen. Noticing the crumbs on her shirt, she tries to brush them into her napkin as Coco goes on.

"I've got most of that," Ramona mentions when Coco goes on to describe club aesthetic. "Leather pants, a couple of nice tops," she shrugs. "Just don't find cause to wear it much, know what I mean?" Another opportunity to mention Vivian, and the upcoming date. Probably the first time in a long time she'll get dressed up like that. But no, that part of the conversation can wait, Coco's drawn her attention with the subject of formal wear. "I think the most formal I've been since I got into town was Gangster Night two years ago. I rented a pink pinstriped suit. What did you have in mind?" Winter's formal had sounded like it was really not her thing, but with the way court society works, more formals are bound to come up in the future.

Ramona. In pink pin stripes?

The Wasp's eyebrows shot up at that, her antennae mimicking their rise, perking up like twin exclamation points.

"Well, that suit would certainly make a statement, particularly if you want that statement to be 'fuck your expectations', but I think we can do better,"
    the Wasp explained, her antennae, and brows, slowly lowering.

Here she was, thinking she'd need to emphasize that bit of punk, but Ramona was already far past her on that horizon. The trick was going to be on properly integrating that little bit of rebelliousness as a design element rather than on simply adding it to the ensemble.

They would have their work cut out for them. Not because Ramona wasn't striking, after all, but rather because her future style wasn't something you could just find off the rack.

"Let me put it to you this way. In that example, the pink is being used for shock value. I mean, I assume it's hot pink? If it's paler, like a rose pink, that's a bit different. A different sort of subversion of a conventional suit, but I suppose my point is, we can go more personal than that. We can find something that displays you instead of just attacks the expectations of others. And, honestly, I'd love to see you do that in a dress. Something dark, with intriguing lines...though the cut of the dress would have to be made with boots in mind. Unless you were willing to try, say, a gladiator sandal."

She makes a skeptical face at the mention of gladiator sandals, "Cushioning," she repeats from before. With stone heels and other foot bones, it's helpful to have some help absorbing the impact. "But... maybe." She shrugs. "And it was pale pink, the suit. The pale pink pinstripes on a light grey," she shrugs, a little unnerved by Coco's apparent shock at the idea, a little heat in her cheeks. "I liked it. I liked the waistcoat and the trousers. It... felt slimming. And dapper as hell."

She sighs, "I didn't wear it to fuck with expectations. I wore it because I thought it was nice, and I didn't exactly like what I saw of theme-era's women's formal fashion. So I wore a suit. Because I liked it and it felt more like me, get it? I'm not trying to make a statement and surprise people, I'm just trying to be me. 'Fuck your expectations' when in service of that, see? If you don't like who I am or how I dress, go fuck yourself. Fuck your expectations of who I am and what I should be like, I'm gonna be me anyway."

With another deliberate shrug to enforce relaxation, she goes on, "I could use a few good dresses in my wardrobe, I guess. I've got a sundress that I like, for summer, but nothing really formal." She frowns slightly, "Not sure where I'd wear it, though. Last year's Winter formal," she makes a pinched face, "Ugh, not my thing."

Well, that definitely didn't sound like the suit that Coco had been envisioning. That's what she got for assuming, she supposed.

"Well, if you do like that suit then...that's good, I suppose,"
    Coco replied after another stretched silence. "I mean, I prefer suits as well, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. It's just...hmm. I suppose it is due to expectations. That's the thing with aesthetics, after all. If you give it meaning, you have to give it a way to be read, as well. In the context of an aesthetic around a particular era, you'd have that language in place. For a Winter Formal, though, that language wouldn't be there. The...context would be different, I suppose I mean to say. Rather than matching an era, the suit would be contrasting with it, and that changes the message.

"Here, let me use one of my suits as an example,"
    Coco suggested, setting her dishes aside and popping up from the couch to scurry into her room. The frenzied sound of hangers scraping against the bar of her closet echoed into the living room, and then Coco re-emerged from her room, her dark blue velvet suit held up triumphantly.

"So, for one, the material gives a sense of luxury and elegance. Something I like, of course,"
    Coco explained, dramatically preening for a moment before dropping the act. "Then there's the style of the suit. The high, lace collar and choker evokes the Victorian age, when canes were still fashionably carried. The difference is that, in addition to the lace, the suit is tailored to taper at the waist so its distinctly feminine. Which is important because the Victorian age is like the epitome of sexism, in my opinion, and by subverting such a gendered imagine from that time I'm able to make a statement about gender and power and etiquette all at once. Or, that's what I hope to display, anyways," Coco finished, setting the suit down on a chair and re-joining Ramona on the couch.

"Does that give you any ideas on what specific statement you might want to make?"

This is sounding less and less like a subject that's going to be rewarding to pursue with Coco, and more and more like a headache. Dressing with an agenda. One of the advantages of jeans and jackets and band shirts is that Ramona doesn't really have to think about what she's wearing. She can throw on her clothes and be comfortable almost anywhere. Somebody doesn't like it? Tough. Sure, she makes exceptions for special occasions, but all of this is starting to sound entirely too involved for her comfort.

The reluctance and dissatisfaction is starting to show on her face, as she considers Coco's question. Hadn't she already told Coco how she wants to be seen? What she likes about her wardrobe? Is she supposed to place her statement into the context of aesthetic? Ramona really doesn't feel like she'd be successful at that. Coco clearly has a better sense of styles and their 'language' than she does. Realizing she's feeling a little resentful, and therefore tense, Ramona glances off to the side, deliberately relaxing again. "You know, I don't get dressed to make a statement. I don't get dressed for other people. I told you, I already decided not to live my life based on how other people see me. I get dressed for how I want to feel. I want to feel tough, or I want to feel strong, or I want to feel sexy, or I want to feel relaxed. Sure, it's nice when that matches up with how I'll be seen, but that's not what's most important to me, and it's now how I think about my clothes."

She sighs, glancing off to the side, "If I had to make a statement? I suppose it would be that I make my own identity. If that doesn't fit with what you think it should be, tough shit. Challenge my identity at your peril. In layman's terms? Don't fuck with me." She turns back to Coco, "... Not that I want to project aggression every hour of every day. For one thing, it'd be exhausting. For another, it'd be damn hard to make any friends. Just..." She shrugs, "I'm gonna be who I'm gonna be. I'm gonna be who I want to be, and that person is strong, and smart, and sexy, and passionate, and determined, and dangerous, and wise, and no one controls them."

Coco's lips parted in preparation for a response, then closed and twisted into a pensive frown, the Wasp's faceted eyes studying Ramona carefully.

"I know you already told me, but consider one thing for just a moment,"
    she tried again, snatching a pillow onto her lap and wrapping her arms around it for the second time. "All of those things that you named, strong, sexy, smart, passionate, et cetera, are all things which exist in, well, degrees. And more than that, those degrees are based off of perception. What you view as sexy, or as smart, I might not. Or it might be the reverse. The point is, there's your perception and then the perception of everyone else.

"Which...also varies in degrees,"
    Coco allowed, a poised palm rolling upward as if presenting that point, "but you can essentially group outside perceptions together. They're all different from your perceptions, after all. Regardless, those perceptions are still important. Making a statement with your clothing allows you to take control of that. Considering how you want others to interpret you isn't giving them control over you. It's taking control of yourself. How you exist within yourself, and how you exist in the minds of other people. And, though you might say that it doesn't matter what exists in the minds of other people, our sense of self is still shaped by other people, isn't it?"
    Pres 3 (Fierce), Dex 4 (Agile), Fairest Dancer/Skitterskulk. Mantle 1: Scent of Pollen

4. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Not mine! The ogress wants to snap. But doesn't. Because it isn't entirely true. If she skipped down the street in a hot-pink and lime-green leotard with a sky blue tutu, observers would infer certain things about her that Ramona would not be comfortable with. She pauses, examining her own mind. Coco prompts an interesting question, where does sense of self come from? Ramona wants it to be internal, but the fact is that it isn't entirely. Is it? The subject seems like it would make for a long conversation, and stray considerably from fashion advice.

"I think I get what you're saying," she says, then pauses again, examining that thought. Does she get what Coco is saying? She reviews the words in her mind, more carefully this time, more openly, or trying to be more open anyway. Taking control of other people's perceptions of her. It doesn't seem right though. It still feels like putting on a mask. Because in order to be perceived a certain way, you have to comply with that persons perception, don't you? If you want to be scary, you have to create a mask of what they think is scary, not what you think. Or any other emotional context. But that's not what Coco had said. She had used the word 'considering.' As in, the perception of others have to be taken into account, not bowed to completely.

"... This is a difficult subject for me," Ramona finally says, aloud. "And I think I owe you an apology for being shitty about it, when you're trying to help." She glances at Coco, an analytical look. Measuring how far she's willing to go, how much she's willing to explain, "... Suffice to say, my history with my family has sort of fucked me up in this area. Caring about appearances." Tense again, this time because of memories instead of Coco, Ramona shrugs again, the sound of stone grinding until she loosens her shoulders.

She turns her thoughts back to making statements. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to eat all those pastries, these thoughts and head-changes are starting to churn her stomach. "I don't know how to give you good 'specific statements' that I'd want to make. I'm not used to thinking that way." She frowns, "I feel like I've been making good statements. Clear ones. Not with my wardrobe, I mean to you, just now. The things I've said. I don't understand how to answer you. Do you... am I supposed to, like, define how I want to present a statement? Like what you said about your suit?" Her frown deepens, "I think I wouldn't be very good at that."

The ogre pauses, licking her lips. Then, realizing she's feeling a little dry, she reaches out for the teacup again, draining the last of whatever is in it. Then she frowns, "Sasha's made it clear that she's not exactly going to be taking Winter court events in a new direction. I'll need formal wear, a dress or a suit or something. What I would like that to say? I would want it to be... I don't want it to not be formal, but I'd want it to subvert formal tropes. A subversion of patriarchal indulgence, of being a sweet and gentle lady, of elegance and grace and etiquette. I want that outfit to say that I'm a part of your formal party but I'm... not following the script, not bowing to the social conventions, stronger than the social conventions. Carving out my own path."

She frowns, "Does that make sense?" She draws a hand up and rubs her face, "Or am I just blurting out more unhelpful crap?"

"No no, that makes sense," Coco soothed, going so far as to place a hand gently on Ramona's knee. The touch lingered for a few seconds and then casually withdrew, though the Wasp's eyes never left Ramona, careful to catch her reaction in turn.

"That's perfect, actually. Exactly what I was looking for. And there's no need to apologize. I'm just glad you were willing to be patient and talk it through with me,"
    she assured Ramona, settling back with hands atop her pillow.

"Some things aren't easy to talk about, particularly when they remind us of unpleasant things from our childhood. Trust me, I'm still dealing with a lot of issues from my parents, too. Thankfully, though,"
    she continued, perking up again, "we have each other to work through those issues with. And when I say we, I mean Ava and any of your other friends, too. Though I do want to be the one to help you find the perfect attire for the formal court. I'm really excited, actually! This is a great opportunity! I know we can create something you'll be happy with. In fact, I even have an idea: what if we made an evening gown for you that was accompanied by pieces of aesthetic armor? Like a tabard, almost. Just picture this: silver evening gown with slits on both sides revealing boots and armored legs, with a belt and gloves of chain and a shawl of scale?"

Sounds loud, is Ramona's first thought. The mail may rasp quietly, but a shawl of scales might make quite a clatter. Not that Ramona necessarily has a problem with that, but it could be inconvenient during conversation. Her face bears a thoughtful expression, but then she purses her lips and frowns, "I don't mean to just shoot down your ideas, but... I don't know, to me it sounds like a themed formal gown. Knights-of-the-Round-Table On The Red Carpet. Kind of... embracing the formal trope more than I want?" She makes a wincing expression. She knows she's being difficult and stubborn. "I dunno, I'm... I'd entertain the idea, look at some sketches, but what I'm imagining without visual aids... eh. I don't really think of gowns when I think of myself anyway." She focuses her attention on Coco again, "I don't mind showing some leg, but I've never met a gown that really felt like me. Especially me trying to be impressive and confident and strong. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it'll never happen, but..." She shrugs.

"It was just a thought," Coco quickly replied, though her antennae did begin to droop. She was tempted to sigh, but truly, such an expression wouldn't do anything to help the fragile threads of friendship that were beginning to be woven between them. That was one of the useful things about masks: they helped one to be more considerate.

"In that case, I think we should either involve other minds, or perhaps just think on it. Not all inspiration comes in the moment we wish it to. Besides, I did have fun chatting about it."

Which, was true. She didn't need a mask to express that. Still, it was clear that it was time to move on from that conversation to another.

"So, you mentioned that you wear a lot of band tee-shirts earlier. I take that to mean you're a music lover? Any particular bands you really like?"

Well, Coco's expressed that she gets something positive out of encounters like this. Even though she seems a little let-down that they couldn't immediately come up with a solution to the Formal Problem. Over and over Ramona's told Coco that she tries to take people at their word, so she makes a conscious decision to do so again as the Wasp answers and moves them onto a new subject. If you say you had fun, I'm going to believe you, because you said it.

The choice of music as a topic makes the corners of her lips quirk up in a small smile, "I could probably list bands that I like for half an hour, if you want." Is that smile a little smug? It might be a little bit smug. A tiny bit. "It's hard for me to say if I have any favorites, because there's so many. Then later I'll remember someone I should've mentioned and left out, and feel crushed and disappointed in myself," she chuckles, "And marathon their albums as penance. Though there's a few groups that I'm always listening to, pretty regularly anyway. The Distillers. Bikini-Kill. Joan Jett. Led Zeppelin. Metallica. Veruca Salt." She shrugs, "I could go on. And on. And on," She warns with a grin.

"I'm quite the fan of music, myself," Coco returned with a matching grin, "though I tend more towards music that has less guitars, I think. Well, unless you count classical guitar. Not that I have anything against rock, I suppose, I've just never been very exposed to it. Jazz, funk, soul, pop, tango and other dance music, that's mostly what I listen to. But I have an idea! What if we each made a mixed tape and gave it to the other? Created a sonic smorgasbord to see what we could introduce to the other?"

She's already sorting through her mental catalogue of albums, plucking out artists and songs and setting them aside for consideration. "Good idea," Ramona says with a distant look, "Sounds like fun." She returns her eyes to Coco. The pastries lay abandoned in their box. Whatever tea is left has gone cold by now. How long have they been talking? A while. Probably the longest conversation they've ever had. And it hasn't exactly been terrible. The ogress is silent a moment, watching Coco with a pensive, non-judgemental expression. What has she learned about the Wasp? What makes her understanding of Coco now different from before?

Enough. Enough for her to give the Wasp a chance. Enough to keep giving her chances.

Because that's what you do for friends.

"I've got another good idea," she finally says after a moment. They've danced around this long enough. "If you and Ava are still interested, I figure we ought to swear a pledge. Form a motley." Because if nothing else, they've certainly confirmed that they're capable of dealing with each other's personal bullshit. "What do you think?"

6. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

For a moment, Coco felt like her heart went still, her pulse stuttering in her veins. Her eyes widened, eight pieces of pupil growing larger even as those dyed orange brows rose and antennae perked up. For the space of a heartbeat Coco simply sat there, staring at the Queen across from her, the woman she'd argued and fought with, pleased and apologized to, insulted and complimented. In that moment, Coco felt more aware of Ramona than ever. More away of the short fall of white hair about her pierced ears, more aware of the glacial tint to her eyes, more aware of the button nose, and more aware of the solidity beneath the smith's clothes.

"Wait, really?" Coco gasped, suddenly feeling the song of her blood under her skin. "You want to be in a motley with me?"

The question had already been answered, and Coco knew Ramona wasn't someone that enjoyed playing such sorts of jokes, so the purpose of the question was not to provoke a response, but rather to reorient her grasp on reality.

Never would she have expected that Ramona was feeling ready for a Motley. She was barely even sure whether Ramona would contradict her were she to call them friends, though clearly she was wrong. Clearly, she was being too cautious, too wary of the other woman and the prickliness of her moods. This wasn't a battle, where each warrior (or artist, as they may be), circled the other with carefully synced steps and the studious flicker of blades testing the other. This was simply two people, learning what it meant to know the other. And, more than that, agreeing to connect to the other.

Unbidden, a rush of elation welled within her, pooling up inside her breast and swirling into a bubble of brief laughter.

"Yes!" Coco cried, bounding to her feet and flinging the pillow that had been on her lap into the air.

"Yes!" she repeated, dancing away, uncaring that the pillow had knocked over a vase sitting on the island that separated the living room from the kitchen.

"Oh my god, I'm so glad you want to!" she gushed, feet dancing out a few ridiculous, excited steps. "I thought you'd almost never want to," she admitted, a strange tension rising through the excitement, her breath catching almost like a sob. It was so stupid, though! She didn't want to cry, she wanted to dance, and laugh, and cavort! She'd been afraid she'd never have what so many other changelings had, never have another chance at that beautiful but trying support group that the Lost called a Motley, and most people called a family.

"We'll have to throw a party!" she declared, arms raised high even as she spun away, hiding the beginning of tears as she scampered towards the kitchen. God, what would Ramona think of her if she saw? A pinnacle of balance and emotional stability Coco was not, but what sort of twit broke down crying when they'd just been given such amazing news?

Ducking down behind the island, using the pillow to start brushing shards of shattered vase together, hoping the clink of glass on the tile masked her sniffles, Coco used her free hand to brush at her eyes, dashing the stupid tears away.

"You should write a list of things you want to eat and drink," she called from her hidden crouch. "And let Ava know, too! We should celebrate tonight!"

Ok, this is just plain adorable. How can you see someone who's that excited to accept your offer of a closer social bond, and not smile? It's infectious. The ogress remains solidly in her seat as she watches Coco dance with joy, an amused smile twisting her lips, things flying here and there. 'I thought you'd almost never want to!' "Yeah, I'm a stubborn old mule," she acknowledges with a shrug. Not that it seems to matter to Coco as she dances towards the kitchen. Slowly, Ramona pushes herself up onto her feet, and takes a few relaxed steps to cross the space. While Coco crouches, Ramona leans her elbows onto the edge of the kitchen island, scooping up a rag and sedately mopping up the water from the vase. "It's ok to feel what you're feeling, you know." You're safe with me. That's part of what a motley means to Ramona. Ava and Coco will always be safe with her. "It's good to take a minute, and just feel your feelings." She smiles kindly, and passes the rag to Coco, sure that some of the water got on the floor too.

The Wasp lifted her face upward at the sound of the Ogre's voice, eyes wet and shining as she met the Queen's comforting gaze. So the sniffles had been heard. Reaching up to accept the rag, tears welled atop Coco's eyelids and her bottom lip trembled before she ducked her head and allowed the sobs to escape. Kneeling on the floor amidst shattered glass, pillow by her knee and rag in hand, Coco's shoulders shook as salted water cascaded down her face. And though there was shame despite Ramona's understanding words, there was also a tremendous sense of relief, a sense of absolution, a purifying that renewed the bright elation and brought it forth again until laughter mingled amongst the sobs.

It didn't last long though, that mad whirling of sorrow and joy. Coco made sure to breathe, to let air fill her and buffer her against giddiness, and before long the tremors through her body ceased and she reached up to grasp the counter, pulling herself up even as she wiped at her eyes.

"I'm such a basket case," she breathed with a weak smile, a phantom resurgence of the laughter rocking her. "H--I'm sorry," she continued, though she knew the words were pointless in the face of acceptance. She just didn't know what else to say as her thumb rubbed more liquid from her face.

"It's just...I feel like I've been working against myself for my whole life, but now, somehow, I'm finally in the place that I want to be. I finally have what I Desire."

The Wasp paused for a moment, focusing on drawing in a steadying breath before she added: "And thank you. Thank you for helping me find that."

Not sure if Coco would want to be held, Ramona just stands there, leaning on the kitchen island. Trying to be present, and hoping that presence is comforting, while Coco feels her feelings. What Lost doesn't know what it's like to be so damaged? Only those that are lying to themselves. Another vengeance to take upon the Fae. Always another vengeance. But anger won't help Coco, not in this room, not at this hour. So Ramona is just present, relaxed, trying to be comforting. "Hey," she says with a tilt of her head and a shrug, when Coco proclaims herself a basket case, "Aren't we all mad here?" That same old refrain, Through the Looking Glass. Paraphrased a little. She comes around the island, offering Coco a hand to help her up. "I'm glad to do it. Glad to help. Even when it's been hard. And it hasn't always been hard." Ramona's a little surprised to find out that the words she's speaking are true. Isn't she the one who'd disavowed responsibility for anyone else's emotional baggage? And yet, she's also the one who reminds herself that all the Lost really have is each other. Maybe that's just more important.

Honestly, Coco wasn't sure if what Ramona had just said was true. Hadn't everything been hard? Hadn't it been a struggle, a commitment, a project that they had both pledged themselves to, even if one more reluctantly than the other? It certainly felt like that was so, but there wasn't anything wrong with that. And, in fact, Coco felt queerly proud because of that, for something that had to be fought for was precious, and in her mind, the troubles they'd faced only made the bond between that much more exceptional.

Though, just because that bond was there didn't mean that the journey had ended. Rather, it was the next leg, and after the mountain passes Coco wouldn't mind seeing a few meadows and fields, and perhaps even a forest or two. Which, really, was likely closer to what Ramona had meant than Coco had at first recognized.

"Then perhaps a party's just the thing," the Wasp suggested. "To remind us all of that."

The ogress responds with a gust of laughter. "Sure," she replies with a grin. "Sounds good." She smiles at Coco a moment more, then walks past her, into Coco's kitchen. She opens the cupboard she's seen Coco reach into for mugs, drawing out a mug or a glass, then holding it under the tap and pouring cool water into it. "Drink this," she instructs the Wasp, putting the vessel before her. Then, again, she moves past Coco, back into the living area, where she scoops up the pastry box. Returning, she rests that too before Coco. "Eat one of these." Another instruction. But well-intentioned, voice gentle. Crying is stressful and dehydrating. Replacing water will help with the latter, and sugars and fats are proven to help recover from the former.

Again she leans on the counter, this time on her palms, and watches Coco. To make sure she takes a drink, and a bite, before the conversation resumes. "So, before this party, there's two things I want to mention. The first one is sort of awkward, but it needs to be said, to keep the air clear between us," she begins, easily. "A couple weeks ago, Ava and I went out bowling with David, and he brought along one of his friends to meet. Vivian York,"she watches the Wasp, "I think you're acquainted. At the end of the evening we exchanged numbers." She raises a hand, "I don't know what went on between you two, and I don't need to know. That's your prerogative. I'm not out to hurt you, this is just... a thing that happened," she shrugs.

She pushes her weight up off the island, standing straight again, and crosses her arms. "The other thing I wanted to talk to you about is your title. I'm still not clear on what Verdant Advocate means, but I'm wondering if we can add to it. I've been considering appointing you as one of the Freehold's Rangers. Considering it for a long time. There's only one thing holding me back." She makes an awkward but sympathetic face, "Is it gonna be weird that we're in a motley, but technically, Rangers answer to the General? You'd answer to me? That's a double-relationship, and those can get complicated, fast. What do you think?"

8. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Why did it feel so strange to see Ramona smiling at her? If that was the expression she had been wishing to see for so long, why did it seem so unexpected?

It was expectations again, fantasies of what was, and what could be, playing tricks on her mind. Sure, narrowed eyes and the subtle down curve of thin lips was an expression she'd seen on Ramona many times, but to think of that as her was all wrong. It was crafting a mask, which, needless to say, were clearly not helpful things when dealing with the ogress.

So, scolding herself to stop being silly, Coco simply waited while Ramona went foraging into her cupboard and found a hand-glazed mug stained with swirls of oceanic hues. Her brows raised slightly when Ramona ordered her to drink, the...queerly motherly tone coming as yet another surprise, but the Wasp wasn't about to argue. Instead she gave a playful role of her eyes and picked up the mug to take the requested sip. And a nibble from another chocolate croissant when the pastries were brought over.

Reasonably comforted, Coco listened contentedly when Ramona began to speak again. In fact, she was in the middle of washing down a bite of pastry with some water when Ramona suddenly spoke a name that caught the water right in the middle of her throat. Eyes bugging comically, Coco just managed to avoid spraying water all over Ramona before she began to cough.

Gentry on a sword! Vivian?

They Wyrd had to be playing a joke! That was the only explanation.

"Really?" Coco gasped, attempting to interrupt the hacking she was doing into her arm.

Thankfully, after a few entirely un-dignified attempts to clear her throat, the frog finally left.

"Well, congratulations," Coco finally said, her voice just a tad harsh after the choking. "And thank you for telling me. I...can't promise that I don't find this to be awkward."

Because, really, she still dreamt of her bound soiree with the gorgeous redhead. And their subsequent meeting.

"If you really are going to date Vivian, though," Coco continued, "I feel that I should mention that she and I did pleasure each other on one occasion. And I know you said you don't need to know, but, well, I don't want that to surprise you. So there, now you know. Though you should also know that I offended her afterwards, and though I don't believe there to be any lingering bad blood, I'm sure she wouldn't mind if she never saw my face again. So...I wish you luck, though I would guard your heart if you're looking for a relationship."

One would think that anyone walking into a fetish club would have already headed that advice, but, well, sometimes one could still recognize wisdom even if they couldn't follow it.

The Coco became silent again and listened, taking another drink of water, though much, much slower this time. And she was glad she had, for Ramona had yet another surprise in store for her.

"I'm honored that you're considering me, though I have to ask, why a Ranger? Why not a Knight? Wouldn't a Knight be better suited for someone with martial skill then a...hedge person?" Coco inquired, hoping that the blunt question would better suited to her new friend than a more flowery phrasing.

The ogress manages to avoid laughing when Coco starts choking. She does hand the Wasp a rag, or a paper towel, or something she can pluck and offer to minimize the mess. "It's not like congratulations are in order or anything, I'm not marrying her for crying out loud," she answers, finally with a smirk. "We just exchanged numbers, that's all." She shrugs, "I figured it might be awkward, for you and for me. But I also figured it'd be more awkward and maybe even hurtful if I kept it from you and you found out later. So yeah, this is better." That said, the ogress listens as Coco warns her about Vivian, and simply nods. "I'll keep what you've said in mind." Sure, it's information with a bias, but it's information none the less.

When the conversation turns back to titles, Ramona frowns. "I'm not empowered to endow knighthoods-" She pauses, then lightly smacks her palm against her forehead, "What am I saying? I'm a Sovereign." That's still new information. She still needs to familiarize herself with the rights and powers of it. Sure, the General can't name a Knight. But Ramona is no longer just the General. She grins at Coco, "I'll be honest, the thought never occurred to me that I have that power." Then her expression turns thoughtful, "... Lucas described Knights as individual champions chosen by the monarchs to represent their Courts. Can I name you a knight? Would it be naming you a knight of Spring? A knight of Summer? Or a knight of the Freehold? And it still raises the question; knights answer to the monarchs. And to the General, in times of war. Do you think we'd be ok, you and I, having that... difference in authority, while also maintaining a motley relationship?"

Coco wiped at her mouth with the napkin Ramona had provided during her coughing fit, considering the conundrum, though just for a moment.

"Well, as you said, Ramona, you're a Sovereign. That means, at least for one fourth of the year, you'll be above me. The same goes for Ava. So, no matter how much my ego chafes as I say this, I'm going to be the least important member of the motley."

Literally, as far as the Freehold was concerned. The Bearers of the Crowns held incredibly potent bonds with the Wyrd, bonds that protected every other person within the hold, and that made the Queens (and kings) the most significant. Which, in many ways, was difficult to admit for someone that had been subjected to the will of 'greater beings' already, but that was the way of the Wyrd. That was what was required to keep their freedom.

"I'm going to make peace with that, so yes, I think we'd be ok. Even if you ordered me to babysit the rest of the Freehold when you went off to slay the Dragon, I think that we'd find a way to move past it."

Somehow. Honestly, Coco couldn't even fathom how she'd cope with something like that, though she wasn't quite delusional enough to refuse to consider it. If she did accept such a position, the occurrence of something as detestable as that was a very real possibility.

"It's your choice, though. If you'd prefer not to knight me, or to petition for it, then that's your prerogative. And, as a member of your Motley, it would be my prerogative to support your decision."

Somehow.

Coco must've thought about this already, the power-differential in the relationship. God, this is basically privilege blindness, right? Ramona has the power, so she hasn't had to think about how it changes relationships with people. Whatever she does, ultimately it'll be alright. That is not true of those who are suddenly subordinate to her. Shit. I've got to pay better attention.

Her face is contemplative as she thinks about what Coco has said. But after a moment of silence, she nods, features shifting to a determined expression. "No, I want to knight you. I think the other rulers and I just need to have a brief conversation about what knights are, first, and what they mean. Get us all on the same page." She smiles at Coco, "Don't worry, I'll figure it out."

"I believe you," Coco replied simply, returning the smile. No matter what the Sovereigns decided, she had Ramona's support, and conviction. That, combined with her, would be enough. Come politics or dragonfire, they would be a motley, and that would be enough.

10. Likes InvertedMonkey liked this post
    Coco!
    Presence
    (Fierce)
    Dexterity
    (Agile)
    Coco

Coco's Mien

Mantle:

PRE

Wyrd
    ••
    Dancer Skitterskulk

Any formatting mistakes are mine, but this was a PM scene written by InvertedMonkey and myself. Hopefully you all enjoy it

12. Likes Yumyumcrow, InvertedMonkey liked this post
Closed Thread