Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Raiment Consultation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    S
    Saeyer

Despite the note Terri had written to succinctly outline her reasons for closing Treetop Fashions, the empty stall had come as a bit of a shock to Ava the first time she saw it. It felt a little like walking through a familiar neighborhood only to find that one of the houses had been torn down when she wasn't looking, a hole in the ground springing up overnight. But, things changed and the reasoning was sound. Having two full-time jobs was a bit much even for the exuberant squirrel, and a renewed sense of gratitude rose in the Dread Queen; sacrifices had been made, and hopefully Terri wouldn't regret it.

Having missed the window to meet with the Steepscrambler in her booth, Ava followed the instructions on the note and sent off a quick warning text before heading for Edna's. The early afternoon sun warmed her damp hair as the Nix mounted the steps, a tote bag tucked over her shoulder and a notebook in her hands. Despite the nature of the conversation she was hoping to have, there was nothing special about her outfit: same old black jeans, same old boots, a t-shirt that was just a little too large. Dressing to impress was far from second nature to her, something that may need to change under the auspice of her new title.

Letting herself in, Ava announced her arrival to the boarding house at large with a conversational, "Hello!" and headed for the living room, hoping to find Terri somewhere along the way.

This thread is Open because of the location; hop in if you want!

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

The moment Ava settled herself into the living room, Terri emerged from the kitchen wearing perhaps the most appropriately cute apron anyone had ever designed over a spring-like yellow dress, along with a pair of bright yellow rubber gloves on her hands. Her feet were bare and she’d tied her hairback into a tight bun to keep it from her eyes, and even though the Legate beamed at the sight her Sovereign, her face was flushed like she had been exerting herself.

“Ava, you’re not going to believe this but there were a load of suspicious looking drops of blood beneath the sink. Just letting you know that there’s no way I’m dealing with severed limbs and spurting arteries around here.” Terri finally took a deep breath and grinned, obviously joking, as she pulled off the gloves. Turning back to face the kitchen, the thick burn that ran down the right hand side of her back partially on display as she asked, “Do you fancy a coffee? I’ve just finished giving the kitchen a spring clean, if you couldn’t guess.” Speaking as walked, her voice light and breezy, Terri quickly added, ”I think we’ve got some soda if you prefer?”
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)
    Presence 4 (Friendly)|Striking Looks 2 (Petite & Cute)

S
    Saeyer

Ava had to grin at the sight of Terri's apron; it was cuter and more designed than any work-wear really had a right to be. But it suited the Steepscrambler, and highlighted part of the reason that the Nix was there all over again. The joke about the state of the kitchen made her snicker softly, dropping her bag into one of the chairs. It was tempting to respond that she should just wait until she tried to clean out the shed, but there really were bloodstains in the shed, which made it a pretty crap joke.

"Coffee sounds great, thanks." Following Terri back toward the kitchen, Ava's eyes landed on the burn but didn't linger. Evidence of things that still haunted the Freehold, she was glad it had healed; at least physically. "The Boarding House is looking good. Is there anything I can help with?" It sounded like she had managed to arrive after the fact, but there might be things to put back into cupboards or something.

Description

Terri's Mask is that of a petite, cute woman with vibrant red hair that has black streaks throughout. Obviously athletic, her natural demeanour is friendly and she always tends to have a smile on her face.

Her fae mien is akin to a red squirrel. She has a long bushy tail and ear tufts that poke through her hair. The black streaks are actually black feathers the are a part of her mien now,; a part of her noble order.

Terri's powerful Mantle initiates itself as the smell of baking bread but brings with it the feeling of the Harvest, that time to take stock of the coming troubles.

PRE

“Thanks but it's all good, I think,” Terri replied with a smile as she poured some freshly made coffee into one of the mugs she had recently dried and hung onto the tree next to the draining board. Handing it to Ava, the Beast placed a small bowl of sugar and jug of milk onto the table within reach, just in case. Terri felt slightly guilty that she didn't actually know if the Autumn Queen had either, so this definitely was a lesson learned.

“Although, I have no idea where Mrs Jasons kept her paperwork, or even if this place is even registered. I might need some help with that when it comes to paying taxes.” A nervous almost weary laugh, one of those old jokes that Terri seemed to rely upon every now and again. The mundane and the Wyrd blurring so close the lunacy was a joke.

“How are you doing now that you've had time to digest the results of our meeting?” she finally asked, leaning against the worktop, a can of Diet Coke suddenly appearing in her hand. A well-manicured finger cracked open the top, the some bubbles escaping in the process, which Terri caught with the hem of her apron.
    Steepscrambler/Truefriend | Mantle (Autumn) 5 (Smell of Baking Bread/Feeling of the Harvest)

S
    Saeyer

Taking a small sip of her coffee, Ava eschewed both the milk and the sugar. Her great fondness for food and drink had yet to cultivate a particularly discerning palate, and the bitterness suited her fine. At the mention of taxes, she laughed through a wince. "I can see it now: 'Ms. Jasons, I've come a long way and I'm so sorry to interrupt whatever you're working on, but I really need to see your tax receipts from last year...'" Snickering softly into her mug, Ava shook her head. How was a person supposed to make profit off of a boarding house where half the tenants paid in glamour and services? Joke or no, she was pleased not to have to worry about that particular facet of things.

The next question made the Nix purse her lips thoughtfully before she shrugged with her mouth. "I'm doing fine, all things considered. It's a lot to process and decide how to handle, currently I'm taking things as they come and going from there. I imagine it sounds familiar." Ava's shadowed eyes watched Terri, empathy in her voice but feeling a certain about of tension, despite the smiles on all fronts.

"You know," she said after a moment, swirling her coffee gently in its mug, "I wasn't surprised, when Coco told me you wanted to be queen again. Honestly I expected you to make a move sooner; it's hard to imagine coming back to a place where you held such a position and not wanting it back. What I took issue with, at the heart of things, was hearing about it from Coco instead of from you. It disturbed me a little to have a Spring approach me about Autumn politics, especially concerning a position like sovereign. It didn't feel appropriate to linger when you brought it up at the meeting, and I'm not trying to drag it back out, but I wanted to explain my view of it."

It was strange territory and she wasn't planning to linger, but it was definitely part of what she was digesting from the meeting.

Description

PRE

The redheaded Beast joined in with Ava’s snicker as she done her impression of what it would have been like to approach Betony Rue as a taxman. That would have been hilariously scary to watch.

She continued to listen as Ava answered Terri’s question, sipping at her drink and nodding in agreement but refrained from adding anything. No matter how much she may have wanted to, Ava seemed to be a pretty capable woman and would ask if there were any issues. At the change of topic, well, change of focus from the Nix to the Steepscrambler, Terri paused to think about how best to answer, eyes focusing on the untouched sugar bowl.

“I think,” Terri finally began after a moment’s consideration, “that the coming and going that seems to plague me and Rick doesn’t really help. I tend to miss people and what’s going on in the Freehold. Part of who I am is to make sure everyone around me, especially my close friends, are content and supported. When I heard about Spring’s idea to help others with their Desires, the first thing that sprang to mind was how much I really wanted to be Queen again; I wanted that respect again.”

Terri took a sip of her drink, eyes refocusing onto Ava as she was ready to continue. “I had no idea that Coco would get that involved, who could blame her really? And even though I agreed with her, not long after, I was sent a message by my Order, the Bishopric of Blackbirds, who ordered me to a gathering; a synod. It was...an education. My ego had gotten the better of me and they were worried about my state of mind, especially ever since what happened following the Four Seasons and last Summer when my fetch died, but that’s another story altogether. I now it may sound like a stupid excuse but I’ve definitely come to realise that being a leader isn’t for me. I’m the one who leader’s should be able to turn to for support, for guidance. I can’t really do that if I’m not trusted, right?”

S
    Saeyer

Faced with the overwhelming friendliness and seeming sincerity of the Steepscrambler, the tiny knot of resentment in Ava's chest loosened ever so slightly. It was one thing to hold onto a bad taste while the person was absent and another to discuss it openly, face to face. What she explained was understandable, even the choice to take Spring up on their strangely far-reaching offer.

But it didn't completely soothe the stinging sensation Ava felt deep under her skin when she looked at Terri. It had taken her some time to figure out, but the pinpricks of irritation could be none other than jealousy. The apparently unerring goodness of some people made her want to either take a swing at them or find a way to get under their skin, too. She felt disgusting and small in their presence, some sort of imposter no one had quite gotten around to pointing out yet. What must it feel like, to wear that guise so effortlessly?

After the Court meeting she had been unable to shake the small, spiteful feeling that Terri had managed to spin the Spring Court shenanigans into something that made her look humble and gracious. Even now, the fact that Terri was saying she didn't want to be a leader but instead something of an emotional support and mentor made a part of her curl sourly, the potential hubris of such a statement burning her tongue like bile.

But, that wasn't what Terri said. Like the words left Terri's mouth in one language and arrived at the Nix's ears in some poisoned dialect.

Perhaps Ava was letting her own ego get the best of her. Maybe she had been from the beginning, where Terri was involved. But it would take more than a couple of straight talking conversations to do away with that.

Taking a moment to digest all of what Terri had said, Ava nodded slowly. "That's a very noble goal. And, if you're looking for trust and respect this," a gesture that encompassed the kitchen and by extension all of Edna's, "Is a good place to be. Visible, welcoming, someone new faces know they can rely on. Plus, a way to make sure they're supported." A small smile broke across her broad mouth, but her eyes were still somewhere a little further away.

"And," she added a few seconds later, one corner of her mouth ticked up in a smirk, "I don't think Coco knows how to do things by half-measure."

Description

PRE

That last comment definitely made Terri snicker in agreement, offering a nod to the Dread Queen. The former observation Terri knew, which was why she was so determined to make Edna’s work, and why she had sacrificed Treetop Fashions in the process.

Finishing her drink and putting the can in a small box marked ‘Recyclable’, Terri took a seat at the table, crossing her legs and folding her arms; not in defence but just out of comfort. These days, she was trying to be as open as she could and had learned a little thing about body language. Before her arms had even relaxed, they were unfolded and she rested her elbows on the table, hands flat on its surface.

“So, in my personal little quest of being supportive, is there anything I can help you with today?”

S
    Saeyer

The see-saw of internal considerations slowly stilled as they began to move past the previous topic, and Ava made a concerted effort to relax. "Well," she began, setting her mug aside for the moment, "I was hoping we could talk about raiments a little. I'm not really one to dress up, but it doesn't always behoove me to look like I crawled out of a bargain bin, especially now. I'd like to have something a little more striking to wear to formal Freehold events, and maybe something casual as well, so I can bring myself to wear it more than once a year." She flashed a slightly self-conscious grin, because anything too nice would simply sit in her closet, admired and unworn. "I've never been a clothes horse, but now it seems harder than ever to find something that I think I look good in that doesn't feel strange or not-me when I put it on, you know?"

It was a little uncomfortable to complain of such a thing, seated across from the cute Steepscrambler in her cute apron, remembering all the fabulous things she has worn in the past. But discomfort because something just wasn't you seemed to Ava like a thing any Lost could identify with, pretty or plain.

Description

PRE

The ever-present smile turned into a smirk at Ava’s self-deprecating joke, and Terri didn't comment. There were some women (and men) out in the big bad world who simply didn't get what fashion was about, happy to either ignore the strengths a fine set of clothes can bring, or there were those short-sighted individuals who simply mocked those who had a burning passion for the art. She had little time for the latter. However, anyone who was willing to take the plunge, to take up the challenge of daring to be different and to understand the simplicity of a damn fine wardrobe, even if it contained one or two fantastic outfits, Terri was always ready and eager to give her support.

“Oh, I understand completely,” the petite Beast nodded, the smile returning. “True story; once upon a time I had little time in dressing ‘fancy’,” her fingers making air-quotes with the word. “I was a personal trainer and pretty much lived my life in sweatpants and a training top. Fashion was something that was for other people. Oh, don't get me wrong, I brought the fashion magazines and dreamed of being able to pull off whatever was the seasonal trends but what was the point? Work came first. Basically, I'd become trapped in the comfort, constrained by the clothes that I had forced upon myself like a straight-jacket. Even after Arcadia, I slipped back into the yoga pants as I tried to find normality again. But I wasn't normal, none of us are. I yearned to be different, to try something new, and I can remember exactly when it happened.”

As she spoke, Terri had stood from her chair to one of the drawers that held stationary supplies, another little bit of organisation that she could appreciate. Finding a red note pad and pen, she closed the drawer and returned to her seat.

“It was a few months after returning back to Sacramento, I was in my treehouse hollow trying desperately to connect more with the Harvest when I had a dream, a vision I suppose. I was at a ball, not unlike one of the masked balls held by Winter during their ascendency. Yet I was wearing the most exquisite corset dress I'd ever seen and wearing makeup that I'd never possessed. It was so surprising that it shocked me. I could feel my hips! I didn't know I even had hips,” she added with a snort. “When I came back to reality, I was filled with more confidence than before and this idea that clothes aren't a straight jacket but an armour that both protects and gives us strength and will to see ourselves as something more. To dare is to succeed. But enough about me and my ego,” she grinned, flipping open the notebook. “Tell me, Ava, what is it you want to dare to be?”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 22

You do not have permission to view the list of names.