Coffee and Insight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Varyx
    aka Vanessa Thomas

Tempting (Pres 4)
    Sultry (SL 4)
    Varyx, Apostate Mastigos

Nimbus

Varyx's nimbus is subtle - she still looks more or less like herself, but there's something about her, something difficult to put your finger on... She's always been beautiful, but it's magnified and somehow terrible. Something so lovely can't be human, and it gives the people around her the impression that maybe she doesn't have any humanity, either.

+2
    SL
    PRE

Insight Coffee was plenty hipster, but the coffee really was good. Besides, the open space was both inviting and filled with the smell of freshly roasted beans. There was the slight buzz of conversation, but it was kept down to a murmur. Many of the patrons were simply reading or typing away on laptops.

Shield and Sight
    Date Action Roll Result
    2016-05-15 22:03:23 Varyx rolls 5 to Third Eye (Mind+Gno) (10 Again) 1, 9, 8, 2, 8 3 successes
    2016-05-15 21:59:37 Varyx rolls 5 to Mind Shield (Mind+Gno) (10 Again) 1, 6, 10, 4, 5, 6 1 success

Varyx arrived with a shield and sight spell already in place. She was dressed in a summery red top and jeans, and headed up to the counter to order herself a drink before taking a quick glance around for any evidence of the woman she was waiting for. Seemed like she'd arrived first - not much of a surprise, seeing as how she was early. No matter. Coffee in hand, she took a seat in the corner by the window and waited for her companion to arrive.

Yog-Sothoth

Fisher

Extempor. Affinity: •••••
    Eidetic Memory

PRE

Well that took longer than expected, Fisher thought to herself as she walked in the door, but still not bad for navigating a strange city.

The tanned young woman cut an unusual figure as she made her way to the counter to place her order. At first glance the most noticeable thing was her buckskin jacket and linen shirt; While her comfortable jeans would normally have passed as unremarkable, combined with her hiking boots it all fit together as something rather unique. Fisher had seen to her less than physical outfit prior to arriving.

Shield and sight

After placing her order she looked around the coffee shop while waiting for her order. She narrowed down her likely list of individuals by looking for someone who was waiting to meet somebody. After a short moment she grabbed her chai latte and made her selection. It wasn't really that hard, the blond woman seemed to radiate sex appeal that practically had a sentience of its own that it used to smack her upside the face. Fighting down a sudden, and out of character, pang of jealousy, she made her way to the other woman's table.

Calm down, looks aren't me remember so who care's if shes pretty, Fisher thought to herself bringing a large warm smile to her face as she stopped at the blonde woman's table, and found that she really meant it.

"Hi there, are you waiting to meet someone here at 4pm?"

3. Likes Yumyumcrow, West liked this post

Varyx
    aka Vanessa Thomas

Tempting (Pres 4)
    Sultry (SL 4)
    Varyx, Apostate Mastigos

Nimbus

Varyx's nimbus is subtle - she still looks more or less like herself, but there's something about her, something difficult to put your finger on... She's always been beautiful, but it's magnified and somehow terrible. Something so lovely can't be human, and it gives the people around her the impression that maybe she doesn't have any humanity, either.

+2
    SL
    PRE

As the young woman approached, Varyx eyed the coat - it looked like it was home-made - though her expression didn't betray any judgement. Nothing more than curiosity, really.

Either way, this woman was evidently the one she was waiting for, so she smiled and motioned for her to take a seat. "I am indeed. You're new to town, right? Then let me be the first welcome you to Sacramento." Her tone was warm and pleasant while a hand stretched out to shake. "You can call me Vanessa, by the way." In public, anyway. The introduction was matched with a quick wink and a smirk; the subtle suggestion of a shared joke.

"So tell me, what brings you to our lovely city?"

Fisher

Eidetic Memory

PRE

Fisher's smile widened even further as she grasped the other woman's hand in greeting. "That right brand new to the city and thanks for the kind welcome."

When the handshake was finished she sat down in one of the seats that let her get a good view of the surrounding shop and sat down almost delicately on the forward edge of her chair. Fisher spared a brief moment glancing at a couple moving to her right and after a second it was clear she made some sort of decision and gave Vanessa her attention. A spark of recognition flashed through the young shaman's eyes at the meaning behind other woman's offering of her name, sharing in the jest.

"Nice to meet you Vanessa, you can call me Rita," she finished with a slight conspiratorial wink of her own. Then pausing she took a sip of her latte and an expression of extreme satisfaction spread across her features. "Oh, that's pretty good," Fisher said glancing down at her cup and then back up to Vanessa.

"Right, Sacramento," the shaman said shifting gears back onto topic. "Oh I'd say that several things all working together bring me to the city. First, I'd say that I am looking to expand my horizons by meeting new people, exposure to new things, and improving myself as a person. You know, new life experiences to help me develop my artistic talent and attend art school. I plan to support myself and my community through security work." Pausing for another brief moment she continued, "In short some teachers of mine had some contacts in the area and I'm networking."

Varyx
    aka Vanessa Thomas

Tempting (Pres 4)
    Sultry (SL 4)
    Varyx, Apostate Mastigos

Nimbus

+2
    SL
    PRE

Art school. Varyx's serene expression faltered for a moment at the mention, and though she recovered with a quick smile, there was still a note of concern in her eyes. "Art school, is it? Well then, I suppose I should mention, I'd recommend avoiding Sac State University. Several of the faculty are what you might call bigoted. You understand - the moment you wake up to the way the world really is, you get to make a choice. Either you accept the new perspective, or you... don't." Her brow arched for a moment and she watched "Rita", wondering if the other woman would pick up on her meaning. If not, it would be easy enough to clarify later, in a more private situation. The important point now was simply that she stay off campus, and surely Varyx's warning would be enough to encourage that, at least until she could get all the information.

"Let's see... Oh, are you a member of any of the community clubs? If so, I can get you the number of the local club leader. And you should consider finding yourself a team if you're going to be sticking around. Community membership is predicated on team membership around here. I can put you in contact with the various team leaders as well, if you'd like." Double speak. How fun. She was finding it faintly irritating, to tell the truth, but she'd wait until Fisher responded to see if the other woman picked up on her meaning. If not, maybe it was time for a little magic to allow them to speak more candidly.

Fisher

Eidetic Memory

PRE

For the briefest of moments there was some confusion on Fisher's face at the remark about bigotry. She thought that the other woman was speaking about racial bigotry against First Nations which seemed stupid that it might happen and that a Herald would bring it up with her. Then after a second it suddenly clicked and she felt incredibly stupid for taking even a second to catch onto the Heralds meaning.

Damned code talking, I'm not Navajo damn it.

"Well, that blows," Fisher began concern marking her features too. "Could have got blindsided by that one, thanks. I guess that means measures are in place for revoking their tenure?" With the tone of her last comment it was a clear indicator she had a rather permanent revocation in mine. "I realize that I'm new but if I can be of use..." The young shaman let the comment hang out there letting the other woman know her stance, but realizing that a new arrival to city may not be a public officials preferred go to.

"I am a member of a club actually. We are security conscious, a rather energetic and martial bunch..." Fisher paused for a moment as if something just occurred to her. "I guess that would make me a martial artist then?" She finished with a cat that's got the cream grin at her ridiculous pun before continuing. "I'm also into the whole survivalist man against nature crowd if you catch my meaning. However, that is an interesting notion regarding teams, I would be interested in pursuing that if you know of any you thing may be a potential fit."

Varyx
    aka Vanessa Thomas

Tempting (Pres 4)
    Sultry (SL 4)
    Varyx, Apostate Mastigos

Nimbus

+2
    SL
    PRE

Varyx was caught by surprise by her companion's bluntness concerning the issues on campus, and it drew of laugh of surprise from her. "Believe me, there aren't enough of us to start turning away help when it's offered. I'm certain we'll find some way you can be of use."

And, at the news that this newcomer was an Arrow, a smile sprung to her face, and she pulled out her phone and started typing. There weren't enough Arrows in town, in her opinion. Adding another to the list would be a welcome change. "Here, I'll give you the numbers of the people you should get into contact with. Your club leader, for one, plus you can talk to her about her team, and the other two team leaders. I suggest you give them a shout to discuss where you might fit. Or, if you'd like to take a bit to situate yourself in the city before you delve too much into that, you'd probably be okay to wait until the next big community meeting and introduce yourself there." A pause. "Oh. And we've got a small survivalist group here in Sac. I'll give you the number of their leader, too." By small, she maybe meant "just the two of you." But that was something for Flidais to explain.

A moment later, Fisher's phone would buzz, indicating an incoming text - four numbers, all unlabeled. "First one's your club leader. Last one's your fellow survivalist." Varyx tucked her phone back into her purse and flashed the Shaman another grin. "So, any other business you'd like to ask about? Because if not, I'd love to hear about your art."

Fisher

Eidetic Memory

PRE

Fisher took several more deep gulps of her latte, luxuriating in it's spicy warmth as she listed intently to the other woman before setting down her cup. She nodded at the Herald's indication that they were short handed locally and to indicate her own acceptance. Then when Vanessa sent the information a bizarre muffled hooting could be heard drifting from her jacket pocket. She pulled out her phone and looked through the contacts as she replied.

"I think that's a good idea, i should speak with my new boss and see how she wants things to operate around here soonest, force allocation and what not, so unless she states otherwise I'd be happy to help," the young shaman put her phone away again to take another short sip of her beverage to collect her thoughts, such as they were, before continuing. "I can't think of anything pressing at the moment. I can get a tactical assessment from the security detail of the local community if required. Only thing i can think is if there are any off limit locations or other obvious danger places to avoid putting my foot in, or if you can think of something important that I might have missed? Otherwise, I'd be happy to talk about my art if you're interested. What would you like to know?" Fisher finished in a conversational tone.

Varyx
    aka Vanessa Thomas

Tempting (Pres 4)
    Sultry (SL 4)
    Varyx, Apostate Mastigos

Nimbus

+2
    SL
    PRE

Varyx shook her head. "Other than campus, you mean? No, not exactly. Though I do advocate caution wherever you happen to be." A quick shrug, and then she produced some folded papers from her pocket and held them out to the her. "Other than that? You should give these a quick read over, once you have the time and the quiet to do so." The Lex Magica and the Consilium Charter. Then she offered Fisher a quick wink. "Club rules."

She really did want to hear about the Shaman's art, though, so with the official business done, she turned the conversation back to that. "What kind of art is it that you do, exactly? Drawing, painting, sculpture...? And where did you learn?"

Fisher

Eidetic Memory

PRE

"Oh absolutely,"
    the young shaman nodded in agreement at the Herald's comment of caution. "Be prepared, constant vigilance and all that," she noted matter-of-factly as one might say that water is wet or the sky is blue. A given.

Fisher took the proffered paper and spoke as she glanced down, "I'll let you know if I have any questions, but I don't foresee any." Then after a brief moment folded it back up and stuck in in her jacket. She could look at it later in detail, now wasn't the time for that.

"I know this may come as a shock," the thyrsus said with a slight smile, "but I'm into the natural world. So drawing and painting things that resonate with base emotions or power in nature. Survival and struggle really speak to me and coming to terms with one's place in nature and society are topics i enjoy. So I try to speak to that sense of harmony of purpose I guess. I also touch on some First Nations inspired artwork, mainly from my own background, traditional art, and wood carving. I kind of picked up things all over. I taught myself to draw when I was young. I spent most of my teen years wandering the woods and wanted to draw the things I encountered. I'd go for days or weeks at a time surviving on what I brought and what I could catch. Then I got interested in painting and got some lesson from a teacher, and I also mentored under one of our wood carvers for a while."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread