Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletinEdge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Ended
Watch
1 - 10
DISPLAYED
Meeting with the Regent

This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    A
    AnoncameaSpider

I arrived at the agreed time and came on down. Not that it was hard, I had mostly been planning on the big expansions into the sewers for the catacombs. My general plan, keeping my head down as our fledgling clan solidified itself in what I had assumed was a quick influx given the lack of actual structures below ground. This plan had been interrupted, because not everyone in the clan was as fledgling as I had assumed. My Priscus, now Regent had clearly more going on than I gave him credit for. He had been appointed and appointing. A lot. I needed to get in on a niche, otherwise the amount of people who think they can get away with pushing my buttons will only grow.

When I arrived to the Dark Temple I looked around at all the trappings of the stage. Gilroy it seemed was not here, though he could just be hiding invisible like...that was an unsettling thought in and of itself. The regalia was in full swing down here, typical of the Lance. My thoughts drifted to the fact that this was in fact not my turf, despite it being underground the good Regent had picked his home territory. I think he was looking to solidify himself, without giving the appearance of doing so....he was succeeding and that's what drew me here today.

I took a seat where available, the creaking wood resting beneath my smallish frame with relative ease. I was in jeans and a black hoodie, nothing special really and had no weapons so to speak. This wasn't a personal meeting, after all. I began thinking on all the points of thought that had lead me here ready to negotiate, something I was utterly fucking terrible at. Hopefully the displeased look I felt at the thought didn't show on my face, but hell it probably did.

Parable
    Kenneth Gilroy

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Status 1 (Covenant - Lancea Sanctum)
    Status 2 (Academia - Research Fellow)
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

The seconds seemed to pass slowly. The candles float idly in their pool, casting flickering light on both Jack and the altar of wax. Orange light that whispered of pain and destruction to the Beast. The flames of hell awaiting the Damned.

There was a a skittering sound and Gilroy appeared at the entrance, scurry in that made it all too easy to be reminded of a cockroach.

"Mr. Carrigan," said in greeting when he saw the hungry eyed Haunt seated nearby. The worm squirmed forward with an extended hand, his back hunched fearfully.

"Jack," he corrected himself with servile apologetic tone. He remembered Carrigan preferred less formal address "What can I do for you tonight?"

The Priscus wore scuffed loafers, a ratty cardigan vest, and an old knit tie that looked like it had been done up hurriedly. None of which hid the small specks of blood on his cheek and temple that the Regent seemed to have failed to notice.

Kenneth
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

A
    AnoncameaSpider

I turned my head to take in the sight. It was...disconcerting. The blood, the flames. My beast not knowing his beasts strength. No, I looked at Gilroy differently now. There was a careful measured respect that was not there previously. Clearly it had come from my time in the domain, having grown here as I watched over the last few weeks down below. I wasn't much for politics honestly. The manipulation I was not good at, more of an emotions on my sleeve kind of guy y'know? I shook Gilroys hand, it was an odd feeling. I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't invited it himself honestly. The small bones under my thin skin rasped and grasped around his.

"I uh...Listen boss. When I came here you were pretty much you. I didn't really see that as clearly as I should have though maybe, but uh..." My voice faltered as I tried to think of a way to word it. Convincing others with something less than pain or fear was almost as alien to me as sunlight or handshakes. I hoped the Regent could see the difficulty. I hoped even more that he cared if he did see it. "Back home I bit off a lot. Well I didn't...it's a long story involving my Sire. I could tell it if you want but it's not important to why I'm here."

Finally I spat it out. "I figure our families pretty big. And you got tall dark and crispy working Sherrif detail which is great and all. I'm sure he'll be a fine investigator and I already said law enforcement is not where my talents lie. Mine are more straightforward. Point and click, as the kids say." I gave a smile that I hoped wasn't too off putting to show exactly how at ease I was. "Anyway, I wondered if you gave thought to maybe a Hound. Our family here is more manageable than Chicago's gang. I think I could protect your interests should anyone attempt to move in your turf..." I trailed off waiting to see what the Regent thought of my proposal at a glance, having not yet presented actual terms. "I figured it' be best to keep such ideas on the down low, so I didn't want to bring it out at the clan meeting.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

The worm's hand squished and squirmed along with the grinding of Carrigan's bones. It was like grasping a coiling snake. Thankfully it didn't last long. Then Gilroy was only listening in disgustingly meek attitude to Jack's words.

"Ideally we have eternity, Jack," though ideals rarely survived the Requiem "Perhaps you should tell me the story in full." At this point Carrigan wasn't making too much sense. Some backstory couldn't for the eager torturer couldn't hurt either.

Then came the shock. His appointment of Cross as Sheriff he knew might have caused some waves. However, it was the amount of trust Jack placed in his decision that took the worm by surprise. The truth was the Kenneth didn't trust the scarred face of the burned man. It was a test more than anything. Yet here was a fellow Clan member fully endorsing his decree. It was... scary in its own way. Then there was the zeal in Jack's gaze when he asked to made Hound. How much of that was the Curse and how much real?

"Mr. Carrigan." Old habits died hard "Jack, clan numbers are not a reliable gauge of power in Sacramento. Things change quickly and without warning. Large numbers one day is next month's low." It was the reality on the ground. While a family member could hardly change affiliation as Josephine had, they could just as quickly leave. Yet despite that, you had to shift with the landscape. It just remained to be seen whether Jack was high ground or a an impassible mountain.

"Why do you want to be Hound? And what sets you above more established candidates?" Garrick had a higher precedence of being pronounced Hound. As Regent, Gilroy could even proclaim someone beyond the Clan to take the position. However, Jack had been the first to ask. That merited consideration.
    Mask of Tranquility
    Curse - Looking at Kenneth you feel disgust, as if you saw a lowly yet dangerous vermin.

A
    AnoncameaSpider

I sighed inwardly. Of course the scholar would want the long version. It was a large decision, as I understood it. "I've not hidden that I want to support the clan. I want it safe. I want it strong. To understand why is to understand my Sire. Grinning Gabbie. She was a different kind of strong. Quick to action, and I followed suit." I let him make of that what he would. "She believed in revolution. That the heart of the kindred condition rested in the fact that we are all cursed together, and equally banished from humanity. She believed we learnedfrom kine, we emulated them and we perfected ourselves through eternal revolution. I...disagreed, but did as I was told. I'm very good with orders." I spoke plainly, the contempt for my sire, the fear, the dread it was all their as I hissed her alliteration. "She was fond of marking her ghouls with glasgow smiles, thus the moniker. I learned quickly that if I didn't disagree often I could live on without a smile of my own...it may be the reason I'm quick to outbursts now, biting my own tongue for so long..." My gaze fell on the candles and I unconsciously took a few steps back.

I realized now I was rambling as I answered his questions. Almost like I was still y'know. Kind of there. Maybe, perhaps the monsterly poker face I wear is there for a very good reason. As I spoke of my sire, the strain to keep my voice calm became evident, and the hunger only intensified in my eyes, only cooling down as I came to a close, discussing the differences between Gilroy and Gabbie. "Revolution is, despite some belief, natural. We over throw one another all the damn time, kine and kindred. On this I agree with Grinning Gabbie, but that sort of thing can't be directed at your inner circle. Her methods are...not egalitarian, nor meritocratic. For the Haunts we're all we got. I like what you're building here. You're Lance, but you're not forcing that Lance down our throats. Expansion? It's measured, y'know room for everyone instead of one dictator masquerading as a man or woman of the nosfertu, it's ample room for all of us to grow stronger if we're smart enough to make it long enough. If someone threatens it...I'm going to cut out their fucking eyes, especially once I lay down solid work around here. I'd just rather you be okay with it when I do and it seemed like a decent idea to jump for the position now insteada later when someone more inept gets the position..I also think you'll be less quick to action than Grinning Gabbie, but still capable of that action if necessary. I hope you prove me correct there."

In a less convoluted way, my argument was sound. We did have eternity, and I was looking at it. Given time someone would rise up and threaten the progress we make, whether within our own ranks or outside them. You wouldn't need investigation, or law or to bother someone higher up the food chain. Just a knife in the dark, and frankly I didn't think that Robert had it in him to kill preemptively. I however, was less articulate than that, but hoped that Regent Gilroy could translate my dumb ass well enough to make sense of what I felt, rather than what I said. Only his response would let me know.

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

“Natural is a meaningless term. It holds no ethical value. Simply because something can and does occurs as a result of our state, does not mean it should be embraced without question. I am not in the business of revolution.” From what Jack had said, neither was he, but Kenneth felt it necessary to clarify that point. After all, there was a chance this was a trap to turn Gilroy over to the Prince for sedition.

The worm studied Carrigan for a few seconds, as if considering. The insect’s eyes crawled over every inch of the Carthian, though they avoid those hungry eyes whenever possible.

“The appointment of Hound would not be for the family’s benefit. It would be to take care of threats against me personally in my role as Regent. Not Priscus.” An odd but important distinction. Kenneth certainly felt threatened much of the time, but he was not aware of any conspiracies to kill him as of yet. A bodyguard would certainly be useful to have. Yet while Jack’s dedication was a positive, he needed to understand that this was distinct from the Clan responsibilities (despite the Underground being almost entirely Haunt controlled)

Gilroy placed his hands behind his back and popping of joints could be heard.

“And to be honest, I am not looking for someone to point at enemies and then they are killed without thinking. Intelligence. Judgement. Proactiveness. You’ve demonstrated all three from what I’ve seen. Do you think you would retain those qualities as Hound?” He’d followed Gabbie despite disagreeing with her but then Sire/childe relationships were complicated. Even from a bodyguard, that wasn’t what he wanted. A bodyguard had to be willing to drag their charge away from a dangerous situation, even against protest. Kenneth wasn’t sure if Carrigan could handle being in the position of subordinate while also having charge over Kenneth in certain situations. Gilroy wasn't even sure it would be wise to hand over that amount of power. In Kindred society, where strength was everything, doing so could very well invite assassination.
    Mask of Tranquility

A
    AnoncameaSpider

I nodded my head in acknowledgement of his point of view on the ethics of revolution though I noticed he didn't object to any of the other carthian ideals. Just the one...interesting. I too, embraced the measured step. As his eyes crept over me I got the distinct impression of being watched by an insect, the kind that had an endless amount more behind it, just below the surface. Not a word of it was written on my face though, I'd been around the clan too long for that shit to get to me. Too well composed, as it were.

"You consider your duty as Regent of the Necropolis separate from those as Priscus of the Nosferatu? Would they not intertwine naturally?" If I had eyebrows, one would be raised in curiosity. Then the Regent spoke on, making his points further. "You'd want more than just a rabid dog?" Came my gravely voice after his remarks about the qualities he needed. "I used to be a very well trained dog for the mob...the blood and Gabbie might've got me a little frothy but I came here to keep that at bay..." I said, obviously thinking about his words. Maybe I spoke them more to myself trying to remember the time before, when I was alive. It was...vibrantly vague. Like trying to remember something by staring at the sun. My voice picked up as I snapped myself out of it.

"Regardless, I can do what's necessary. I have the skills, and if I don't I'd probably learn them anyway. Shit like that's useful in the Long Night."

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"I do. As Regent of the Underground, I am responsible for all its residents and for enforcing rule of Law over the entire area. As Priscus, I am responsible for the welfare and administration of the Clan." There was overlap to be sure. A great deal in fact. However, there was a difference. For example, if he were to resign the Priscuship, he would no longer be responsible for acknowledging new arrivals, but would still retain the responsibility for Necropolis.

Kenneth paused for a second considering, the flickering light making him seem to twitch despite remaining still. The worm was still unsure. There were aspects of Jack's personality that concerned the Regent. The question was, would it be better to keep hungry Carthian close and leashed where he could bite at Gilroy's heels, or pushed into some far corner of the Necropolis where the screams of his victims wouldn't be heard.

"Very well. I will name you Hound. For a year. A trial period, after which, I will make it permanent, should I find you have done well in the position." A lot could happen in a year. Carrigan or Gilroy might not even be alive by then. Or either could leave Sacramento. Whatever the case, it gave a better chance to get a feel for Jack and his methods and his permanency. If any were found lacking, then there was an agreed upon end date.
    Mask of Tranquility

A
    AnoncameaSpider

I considered his words, then nodded accepting to there was a subtlety there that I had not considered. Still, if the Necropolis was strong, the clan was strong. The ends were the same, even if the means might change in the future.

"You've made a very happy ally today, Regent Gilroy. I won't disappoint you. Just keep on doing what you're doing and I think we'll go pretty far, between the brains and the brawn." the smile on my face seemed to grow wider in the flickering candle light. The red flame lighting the whites of my eyes like a certain hellfire. The beast inside growled, having pushed Carrigan closer to the edge once again. I knew I would have some interesting nights ahead, but the challenges here were nothing like Chicago. Here I think I could still strengthen myself. Besides, now I was basically a wiseguy again. So foggitaboutit!

Eh, if only things were that simple in the Long Night.

"So, any fringe benefits with the trial position? I'll understand if I have to earn those too."

Presence
    (Disgusting Vermin)
    Status (Lancea)
    Status (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment
    Obfuscate
    (Mask of Tranquility)
    Kenneth Gilroy
    Nosferatu Lancea Sanctum

Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Status/Social

Presence 2
    Mask of Tranquility
    Allies 1 (Academia)
    Allies 1 (City Hall)
    Allies 2 (Public Works)
    Contacts 1 (Academia)
    Emotional Detachment 1

NOS
    PRE

"No benefits as such, no," he replied. He'd already gotten the position. It wasn't like the Underground offered a Rack to grant access to. It almost annoyed Kenneth that Carrigan was asking at all, like a man trying to bite off more than he could chew but that could be attributed to the Curse, so he tried to contain the sting from his voice.

"Were there any other questions you had?"

Good to close and get this on the books?
    Mask of Tranquility

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 11

You do not have permission to view the list of names.