Ended
Watch

Book Club

THREADID
DISPLAYED
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    s
    sumthingpositiv

A warm smile is returned to Vivian and David when they give consent to letting go of titles for the evening, something she's done automatically since her arrival for her own exercise in learning etiquette. She acknowledges their instructions with a nod and then listens to Vivian.

As she imagines the clothing worn with regard to status, Katya can't help but imagine how status affected clothing, if it shifted at all or if it always remained the same even after someone was deemed to have "shamed" their family or gods. "Was this status associated with color strictly due to economic wealth or were there situations where people would be given "more colorful" clothing once they had reached a "higher" level of status?" she asks to anyone in the group.

V
    Vivian York

Vivian pulled out the book she had, flipping through the pages, she passed it to David...number two. "Here, these are a few that were worn by their nobility. Commoners seemed to wear things that were more drab, mostly I'm sure because ornamenting their garments was probably costly." Moving back to her original position.

Glad that David at least knew what she'd read or had researched, she smiled brightly as he seemed to be encouraging.

"To answer Katya, yes, if they gained employment serving royalty, I think their wardrobe seemed to change so they didn't look entirly out of place. Of course, that was perhaps depending on what they did. Handmaidens, or the equivalent, appeared to have been affixed with make up or more colored garments."

Thinking for a moment back to some things she'd read. "Well, what I found most surprising was that as many know they were buried with most of their earthly possessions including garments and jewelry. It's sad that it didn't get passed to the next generation. Maybe all the work involved to craft things new constantly was the most interesting take away that I gained from reading."

"How about the rest of you, I'm fascinated to hear what you all have to share."
    Which she was indeed, and the spotlight on her in this environment wasn't particularly something she wanted. This type of situation was something her Coterie mate enjoyed, which is why she was more than willing to be involved. Maybe, just maybe some day he'd go to a club with her.

David Silver

Circle of the Crone
    Rose Garden

4 blood

PRE

David takes a look at the picture, studying the positioning and placement of the body first, before looking to the clothing, and seeing what Vivian spoke of, the flowing underbust sections of cloth. Quite different from the common Druidic cloaks that do little to differentiate man and woman.
    But thats a discussion for another time.
    "I agree, with mister Reagan, please, call me Silver. It would make things easier for the evening."

Perhaps he should look into a hypocorism? Something to consider.
    "Perhaps some of you heard of Erik Hornung? I read one of his books back in the 80s, and have kept it with me since. Conceptions of God in Ancient Egyptwas his first book, and it is one of the best that I have read. Unlike the typical introductory text, he does a deep and thorough examination of how the Egyptians viewed their gods. He explored down into the massive complexity of their religion, touching only briefly on how the gods interacted with each other, but focused more on how the worshippers interacted with their gods. Their view of Amun, transforming from a local cult who focused on Ma'at, transforming over time into one of the great leaders of the psedjets. His merger with Ra centuries later made him a deity that traveled beyond the borders of egypt. What always strikes me is the Egyptian understanding of the mutability of the gods. Amun becomes Amun-Ra. Horus dies and is reborn again as the new pharaoh, while the dead Pharaoh becomes Pharaoh of the afterlife as Osiris. Until the Pharaoh becomes the son of Ra centuries later.
    What Hornung touched on was the multiplicity of reality. The egyptians saw their work on earth as merely one aspect of realtiy, that not only was there an afterlife, but that the gods operated on multiple layers, some as complementary forces, others where they were quite distant. Unlike the greeks, who saw their gods as super human, but still with human foibles, the Egyptians saw their gods as leaders of different spheres of life, and their focus was on their solitary aspect."
    He offers the heavily dog-eared copy. As a first edition, it would have been worth quite a lot of money, if it didn't have the former Hierophant's scrawl on many of te margins, bookmarks labeled with "Important" and "Incorrect, look at Kauket" and "cows. why is it always cows" in a section discussing Hathor.
    BP1 | Presence 3-Serene

4. Likes Yumyumcrow liked this post
    C
    Casitive

A Hand snakes out and takes the offered book Silver holds into his own hands. “This brings back memories,” David says as he moves through the book with an intimate familiarity. “This and a few other, older texts were some of the first I read when I inherited my place among the Libtinarii.

Which would also suggest why David is so keen on Egyptian Religion and Culture.

A note Silver wrote causes David to chuckle a little, “It is always a Cow isn't it? But, that's because they were so important to agriculture. From it's horn, to its milk, to its dung that Kephri would then roll. It provides, much like a mother does...” Says a man who never had one.

Passing on the book, David retrieves one of his own. “Related to Vivian's discussion on Fashion, I chose to talk a little about Jewelry. Some of you know that I tinker and make little pieces here and there.” Here, the Mortician demurs from stating whither they are good or not, or even making excuses that, lacking a workshop, he's not made anything too ambitious. "Of the most familiar to me, are Amulets: wꜣḏyt eye, the golden vulture collar, and the heart-scarabs to name a few.

Offering the book, David continues, “This book The Traditional Jewelry of Egypt goes in depth of the everyday life with jewelry as well as how they are made and the many variations. Not only was a person's collection of jewelry wealth that they carried on their person and a status symbol, but also, sometimes as pieces of protection from malevolent spirits. Obviously, gold was favored with its close association with Ra but silver too was used.

David's overview done, David glances across the group wondering what questions or discussion will arise from it. That would indicate where the interest in the group lays.

s
    sumthingpositiv

Katya can't help but agree with Vivian on the unfortunate nature of such beautiful pieces but then with a touch of her chin another thought occurs. "I'd wager that's a good hypothesis Vivian with regard to the next generation having to create new things. With crafting new work instead of handing down the old, comes a rebirth for the next generation rather than asking them to revert backwards in time." she did wonder if those in the past also found it sad or if it was easy to accept as they moved forward.

With her attention towards David, she recalls the jewelry she has seen him wear over previous Courts. In a way they shared a common trend with being skilled with their hands and both with their own purposes towards their spiritual beliefs. "I like Silver's use of the word 'mutability,' as it seems to also fit with the many significant meanings Jewelry has as the materials such as gold or silver must also become mutable before being transformed into a symbol of status or protection. It's quite beautiful that it seems they accepted this notion of transformation even with what others might deem as 'inanimate' objects. " it makes sense to her that this emphasis on Jewelry was not based off of shallow material gain, at least not entirely. Turning to David she asks "How common was the practice of jewelry making at that time? Was it limited to the amount of apprenticeships one could find?"

C
    Casitive

An Ibis and the Ma'at feather. One, a symbol of the moon and magic, knowledge and measurement, and of justice. The other, a symbol of the truth and balance. Each one a concept David strives to maintain, even when the beast and the beasts of others strive to keep him out of balance. Though he doesn't wear his cufflinks tonight, the memory of them weighs heavily on his wrists.

No one has really asked about his cufflinks but David reckons they've been noticed.

Almost as a reaction to that somatic memory, David begins to roll his sleeves up to his forearms.

Apprenticeships were common and the methods used spoke of the ingenuity of the artisans. There are four main ways jewelry was made in Ancient Egypt: Drilling and Carving, Metalworking, Faience and Glazing, and Glassworking.

After a small break, David adds, “For instance, I learned the basics as an apprentice of my sire. But we centered on the creation of religious objects d'art. That mutability you mention is incredibly important for everyone to realize. With every step, we enforce our will upon a piece of raw metal, recreating it into a form pleasing to the Gods. Renewal and cycles -- resurrection -- was an important point of belief in Egypt.

Daisy Wen
    Daisy Wen

Daisy Wen

Wizened Artist
    Presence ●● (Vivacious)
    Striking Looks ●● (Delicate)
    Fame ● (Culture - Art World)
    Mantle (Spring) ● The scent of plum blossoms swirl around her, as their petals fall in her wake. Language - Mandarin.
    Mask

A slim and petite women, of seemingly fragile beauty. With hair as black as a raven wing, kept long, either loose around her shoulders, or pulled back into a bun. She has a fair complexion, with delicate features.
    Mien

This Porcelain fawn, Manikin is material, Beast in shape. Artist in reality. comprised a fine white china. Her hair, still long is glazed in jade. Dainty china antler-horns poke out from her hair. Unguligrades legs she crafted for herself, now support dainty deer hoofed feet. Her eyes are large, pupiless, and the entirety of the eye black as pitch. She's lean, her limbs are long, her fingers spindly, but carry a certainty and deftness when plying her craft.

ooc

And the information flows, with a gentle smile upon her lips Nell listens in rapture at the knowledge being shared. This was nice. But suddenly a chirping noise comes from her pocket. Frowning the teal haired shadow looks down, determined to silence the noise, and sees a text instead. She blinks, and a regretful smile grows. "I'm very sorry, but something else calls my attentions."

Opening her messenger bag, Nell grabs the few books she acquired for this evenings book club, and offers them to whomever seemed to want them. "Here, it's not much, but it's I found on music." With another regretful look upon her features, Nell offers those present farewells, and headed towards her bike.

Because of player time constraints, Nell regretfully leaves the scene.

V
    Vivian York

Yes, I am indeed glad I spoke first…

Whilst listening to Silver, he spoke of something that may have been in line with the Dragons. Mutability, change, it all wove in to one another. “That is remarkable information, Silver. Something I didn’t know.” Even though that was a great many things. “I’m only familiar with Greek mythology since it’s thrown in nearly everywhere. But that aspect of Egyptian Gods is fascinating. One thing turning into another, reborn, like a phoenix.”

She was in a group of vast intelligence. Yet still, Vivian wouldn’t get down on herself. In fact, that was the purpose of it, to learn from others. How copacetic the group suddenly had been even if their points of interest were entirely different. The Daeva did wonder if David chose jewelry because it was of interest to her…

But then she reminded herself how he enjoyed jewelry making and maybe that was something that indeed connected them. She soaked up beautiful things, the Mekhet enjoyed creating them.

David Silver

Circle of the Crone
    Rose Garden

4 blood

PRE

David watches as the groups discussion continues and moves, away from the mythology, and drifting into the physical representations of the world as the Egyptians saw it.
    The other David's response about the cow brings a smile and a fond memory to mind. The Hierophant looking down on him, a ghoul with so little understanding, so little perspective on the subject of motherhood. To be lost in the blood haze of the next but of generosity, and unable to look beyond to the immediate. He had so very far to go in tending that first cow.

"It is interesting how much of Egyptian jewelry and culture was focused around protection. While many other religions around them had fractitious gods, with the war god very highly placed in the pantheons. Egypt major war goddesses, the sisters Sekhmet and Bast, are associated with healing and protection. This shows us that the Egyptians were more focused on preserving than expansion, like the zoroastrians or Hellenists. Like them Egypt early goddess were more warlike, Neith makes a good analogue to Ares, but they gave way to more nuanced and defender deities.

Mutable to is critical to the Egyptians, after all wet wood expands, which is how the great stones were cut for their temples and monuments. But with the Egyptians, it is critical to remember how very old they were. For nearly 3000 years, theit culture grew and flourished, stagnated and was reborn. 3000 years ago we developed iron tools. So part of that mutability we see is an artifact of the telescoping of history, where 2500 and 2700 years ago mean little to us, but was 10 generations at the time.

David is extremely correct on the subject of resurrection. Osiris was restored from dying. The pharaoh dies and is reborn as pharaoh of the dead."
    BP1 | Presence 3-Serene

s
    sumthingpositiv

So many ways to shape jewelry, Katya thinks, so many different paths to reach a different outcome or the same. THen David Regan mentions enforcing ones will on the material and she can guess at how it helps shape his approach to his Requiem. She imagines it would be helpful in understanding his Covenant, at least loosely based on what others have said about her and how she'd fit with the Ordo but she also sees clearly how such a metaphor translates well with the Circle also.

When Nell excuses herself, Katya nods to her and says "It is understandable Miss Cooper. Thank you for coming and have a pleasant night." before returning her attention to David Silver

Katya is glad Silver brings up the idea of death and rebirth as it fits well with their kind. Like the Egyptians, vampires have survived over centuries and have had to reshape and reform with the times and yet there is a common thread running through the eldest ones. So many gateways to pass all to provide new perspective and change.

"That is a good segue into my topic, which was the Underworld, or rather, Duat. Rather than view this realm as an endpoint, it was more like a midway to the afterlife, faced with trials and tribulations within Duat. As Silver mentioned, Osiris was formerly human and traveled through Duat to become its ruler. Like Osiris, all those who pass must travel through Duat to reach their final judgment before Osiris." Katya's gaze is pointed towards everyone, and is slow to speak as she knows that David Regan knows this mythology better than all of them and wants to be sure she does not disrespect him with misinformation.

"When someone passed, it was believed to take twelve hours to travel through Duat, each hour acting as a portal to the next with a task or challenge they had to complete in each. Each portal was separated by a gate, guarded by a demon that the passer had to name correctly. It is believed that the Sun God, Ra makes this journey each day representing the passage of the Sun, dipping through Duat and passing on the other side the next day. Once passed, they would reach the Hall of Judgement where the heart of the deceased would be weighed against a feather. The feather represents the goddess of Truth and Justice, Ma'at and if the heart was heavier than the feather, then they would be devoured by Ammit. Those who passed, were allowed to travel into paradise of Aaru."

She pauses for a moment for questions or comments to be added before making her own, her presentation acting as a introduction before the meat of the discussion begins.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
Closed Thread

Members who have read this thread : 18

You do not have permission to view the list of names.