Ishani arrives at the Tower and heads in. Asa had said he would be here. She felt a little odd about bringing the book in with her, but she thought it would help to better explain herself.

She went to the top floor, where he said he would be. Stepping out of the elevator, she looks around to see if she can spot him.

Asa is still looking out
at the city, mesmerized by the lights. The conversation he'd just had with Arnold had really brought home the fact that he was Prince of an entire city. At the sound of the doors, he turned, and smiled when he saw Ishani.

She approaches him, giving him a chaste kiss on his freshly shaven cheek and smiles. "You look like the cat that ate the canary, love. Uh, can we find a seat please?"

She tucks the book a little tighter under her arm in a subconscious nervous gesture.

Asa raised an eyebrow. With Ishani, sitting down rarely led to anything good.

So much for a dance above the city by starlight.

"Just talking to Arnold about his Regency," Asa explained, then made his way over to a bench. He saw she was carrying a book, but didn't comment. Like anything else, if she wanted to tell him, she would.

"So... are we leaving the Dracul?" he asked, half joking.

Ishani laughs, not taking the joke personally, but does consider the question. "I don't know, do you want to?"

She slides into a seat and places the book on the table in between them. He can tell she is nervous. She waits for him to be settled and to answer the half joking question before speaking again.

Asa shrugged, giving the question some serious thought. There were things... people... that he wasn't wild about, but there were already things he had learned which compensated.

And we haven't gotten our answers.

"I think I'm all right," he answered. "Especially once I claim my title of... what is is... Supplicant? What about you? Are you having second thoughts about the Axe? With O-Yama's coterie forming?" Asa asked the questions as they came out, one by one, even as he picked up the book.

Huh. Does she know that I've read this? That there aren't any answers for her in it?

He looked at her curiously, wondering why she had brought the book out of the library.

Ishani smiles. "Second thoughts about Headstrong? Yes. Second thought about being Axe-Sworn? No. I will go to another city to become Sworn if I have to. But I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable before making that kind of commitment. It's kind of a Requiem long thing."

She watches him pick up the book, wondering if he knew why she was here now that he'd looked at it. He didn't seem to have a light of understanding in his eyes and she wondered if she really wanted to know the answers she came here for. She reaches out and places her hand on his, looking him in the eyes. She may as well just ask. It would drive her crazy until she knew.

"Prince Clarke, who is your Lord?" She nods her head toward the book, hoping he would understand the question.

Asa listened, without any reaction and silent for a few moments, returning her direct look.

A 'Requiem long' thing.

Asa considered her words, the implication that she would spend the rest of her Requiem at war with the Dracul's enemies, risking her own Requiem. That she would leave the city --his city, the city they were building their dynasty in-- to pursue that goal.

And he would follow.

"I've told you, so many times, Ishani Naetesh," he answered.

Ishani closes her eyes, her hand slipping off of his and back into her lap. It was and it wasn't what she'd wanted to hear. Her heart leaped at the knowledge that he would never betray her, in any way, for as long as she existed. At the same time a cold knot of dread sat in her stomach at the knowledge that he had chosen to bind himself to her in such a way that she could never return.

"Yes, I know. I just never really knew what that meant before now." She opens her eyes, shakes her head and sighs. "I am so sorry. I didn't know. If I had known, I never would have said such horrible things before about the Lenny thing and Twist and.........." She trails off, trying to remember exactly what she'd said before.

After a few minutes she gives up and smooths her hair back from her face. "It doesn't matter what I said before. That's all different now. I was looking in the library for some information on the Hindu pantheon, helping Jayant out with the next court. I ran across this book and thought-" She laughs at herself. "Maybe it could give me some insight? I don't know. But it did give me insight, just not into what I was looking for."

Asa watched her hand retreat, only half listening.

A Kine's heart could pound, their throat tighten. He couldn't even sigh without taking that necessary breath.

"This... changes things?" he half stated, half asked in soft dread.

She leans back in her seat and looks at him, confused that he wasn't getting it. "Well yes, of course it does."

She pauses, not really wanting to vocalize her insecurities about the subject but knowing that it would probably be necessary in order to explain her position. "I was always a little... concerned about the amount of women you seem to constantly have around you. Not just how many, but the quality of them. Most of the women you find yourself with are very attractive, Asa and that has always bothered me. Even your ghouls are above average when it comes to looks and I know I have said something about that in the past. I thought the reason you wanted Twist to join the House was because you and her had... grown close while I was in Torpor. That always bothered me, a lot. It wasn't that I was concerned about you doing anything with them, sex is sex and doesn't necessarily mean there is anything behind the physical act. I was always afraid there would be other emotions attached. I couldn't care less if they got attached to you, that is bound to happen. It always bothered me that you might get attached to them, that I might not be enough anymore and you would just... drift away."

She stops for a moment and collects her thoughts, pushing the whirling images of him with other women aside for the moment. "Then I read that and I felt horrible. I didn't know the amount of devotion you had put into this relationship. I mean, yeah people say I love you, I'll never hurt you, blah blah blah, but at the end of the day it doesn't really mean anything. When you say it... you mean it. I never understood that before. Now, all of those little insecurities seem pointless. You aren't going to go anywhere. Well, not unless I tell you to go away I'm guessing. So, there isn't anything to be afraid of. Is this making any sense to you?"

"Oh, yes," Asa said with a smile. Of course it made sense to him. She was the object of the same sort of attention as he, and he knew that she was attracted to some qualities he didn't have. He understood quite well. That was neither here nor there, though.

"I have always meant it... and I will always mean it," he said, not sure if it was a promise, or a warning.

Who wants a codependent lover, forever?

"You shouldn't feel bad, or apologize," he added, looking at her. "What you're saying, what you've said in the past... it always let me know that you cared, too, before I had the Sight. What we're doing, it's not easy, with the circumstances and society we find ourselves in."

Where Kindred use each other, where we feed upon negative emotions to sustain our 'culture'.

She smiles and leans forward taking his hand again, giving it a slight squeeze to emphasize her words. "I know Asa, but I can't-" She stops suddenly, as another realization hits her hard in the gut. She was going to say she couldn't give him that kind of commitment. She couldn't devote herself to him the way he had to her, but that was wrong. She could and she already had. Suddenly, the light came on upstairs and she realized that becoming Sworn of anything wasn't going to help her. All this time she had been looking for something to fill the void left by her connection to Yama and without even realizing it, she'd done exactly that.

Without letting go of his hand, she sits back again, a little stunned. "I can't become Sworn." She says, not thinking about speaking aloud.

After a moment or two of silence, Ishani shakes her head and clears it of the thoughts swirling around in there. "I'm sorry, Asa, I'm an idiot. I've been looking for something meaningful to fill that void since I woke up from torpor, not realizing that I've already filled it."

"Anyway," she leans forward again, "What I'm trying to say is I think I understand us a little better now. I don't want to restrict you from what makes you happy. So, if something makes you happy......and you want to do it, let me know."

Asa smiled at her words, and a flush of pleasure went though him. "I don't know what to say, I'm happy to be here for you." He couldn't articulate what her words meant to him. "But... why not become Sworn of the Axe? You are a warrior, Ishani. You always have been."

He considered her next words, understanding what she was saying, and how to respond. "I am happy. Even if I weren't, I... could never ask you to spend your Requiem with a hypocrite, though, and come to despise me for it..."

Because I can't stand the thought of another man touching you. I'm not as generous as you are.

Ishani shakes her head. "No, I can't. I cannot take those kinds of Oaths with that level of commitment. Not if I am already committed to you. I can't put those Oaths before this relationship. Otherwise I would end up being an Oath breaker and from what I understand that is a death sentence. No, I won't do it."

She sighs, understanding where he is coming from and somewhat agreeing with him, but she also didn't work the way he did. "I don't need that from someone else, Asa. I don't look at another man and wonder what he would be like in the sack. I don't have men fawning all over me the way you have women. I don't have men sitting at my feet asking for my attention. It just isn't the way I work. You're... different. I don't know how to explain it. But, I understand what you mean and I cannot ask you to compromise your lifestyle for something so trivial. I just needed you to know, to understand, that I get it now. And, I think I'm OK with it. And I can accept you for who you are, hypocrite or not. Because, you'd accept me, no matter what. So, I think I can return the favor."

She stops talking and wonders how it will be to know that he isn't going to just fall in love with someone else and dump her like a sack of potatoes. It is such a school-girl way to look at it, but the fear was always there, lurking in the back of her mi9nd. Now, her mind was clear and the ever present knot in her stomach when she thought about Asa with Twist or Victoria, or anyone else was gone. It was... weird.

Asa considered Ishani's words. He knew that he was very fond of women, but it hadn't really bothered him to be faithful, and he almost protested again. Then he understood. She looked at his... enthusiasm for women the same way he saw hers for fighting. And now, she understood, that he was hers. Always.

He gave her hand a squeeze, and nodded. Smiling, he stood. "Shall we?"

Ishani stands, taking Asa's hand and looking thoroughly confused. "Sure?" She expected a long monologue about how he appreciated what she was saying, but that wasn't the way he worked, blah blah blah... and instead, he'd said none of those things.

"What are we doing?" She asks, wanting to know and not sure she wanted to know at the same time. "Oh!" A light turns on in her eyes. "By the way, what area did you give to Arnold? Was it any place close to downtown?"

"South, southwest. From the rack outward, between 50 and 99. It isn't the best area, but it's one that requires a firm hand. I can also then expand it north into a nicer residential area, or south into a tougher commercial area -- depending on Arnold's success." Asa said, pointing out the area as he had done for the Reeve.

He moved behind her, putting his arms around her. "As for what we're doing? Whatever you want, my Lady."

"How very strategic of you." She says with a smile. "I am sure Arnold will do well."

She leans into him and closes her eyes. "Hmmmmm I want to...............show you something." She pulls away suddenly and goes back to the table, picking up the book. She opens it to near the end and pulls out a couple of folded pieces of paper and a picture. "I found this place near downtown and it's for rent right now. I am trying to get the realtor to talk the owners into letting me buy it. But if she cannot manage to persuade them, then I'll do it myself. Anyway, I am planning to open up another club. This one of the Gothic Industrial 80's persuasion."

Asa looked at the papers and picture in curiosity.

Is this because Twist brought Ballo Della Notte with her?

"That's a beautiful building," he said, nodding. They played some of that music at the Asylum, but it wasn't really a culture he understood. To him, it seemed like one that blended several others together, seeming to result in a rather insincere attempt to wet one's toes in multiple ponds. Which had nothing to do with anything, other than it was a shrewd niche to fill. Ishani could, much like Karsh had, probably get away with being 'herself' on top of it all.

He did understand that offering to help wasn't what she wanted.

"I can't wait until it opens," he looked at her with an excited smile. "What are you going to call it?"

Ishani gave Asa that smile, the one she reserved for him when they were alone. The one that conveyed her love and gratitude in one motion. She was beginning to wonder if their minds were starting to link due to the bloodbond and their general close relationship. He always seemed to know just what to say, or what she needed him to say.

"Reverence. I've already got most of the decor on order. I am going to have to find a staff, but that shouldn't be too hard in this city. I have noticed a decided lack of this culture in the downtown area and it is a seriously booming business to get involved in. It's tamer then what Asylum represents but still leave a lot of room for play. I think it will compliment the other clubs nicely."

And you can steer the ones that 'outgrow' that 'scene' to the Asylum. Clever lady.

"I do too, I'm impressed," Asa said. It meant that there would be two positions to fill now -- one at the Lily, and one at Avalon, but he didn't want to think about that, now.

"So what to goth club owners wear?" he asked with a grin. He couldn't help it.

Ishani laughs. "I don't know, my dear, but I am sure you'll be able to find something suitable for me. I won't have time to look for myself. I'll be too busy getting hold of this damn building. The realtor is very meek and seems to think the owners can't be persuaded or some such nonsense. Either way, it is going to take some work on my part. Then of course there is trying to find the people to decorate it properly, install the bars, booths, and private rooms, and then there is booking the entertainment for opening night, interviewing staff candidates..." She looks at him as if she just realized what she's gotten herself into. "It's going to be a while."

Asa nodded thoughtfully. Even though Ishani's epiphany was adorable, he resisted the urge to tease her about it. After she had succeeded, that was the time.

"It's kind of fun, having a city to rearrange and decorate like a house," he laughed softly, thinking about her club and Arnold's new domain. "By the way, did you see that Arnold purchased the Monte Cristo? Charles Mandrake's folly?"

It was also kind of fun having a nice, calm moment of companionship. Without talk of the Lost Nights, or the missing O-Yama, or anything else unpleasant.

Ishani looks surprised. "No I didn't. Wow, well good for him and the Invictus. I am really glad to see someone taking initiative there. I hope it thrives for him."

She puts the folded papers back in the book and tucks it under her arm again. "So, maybe we should get out of here? And you can show me all those nasty things you want to do to all those other women." Her smile is evil.

[banner]ishani[/banner]
[banner]asa[/banner]
Scene Note