Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Mage OOC Talk and Questions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 45 of 54 First ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... Last
    X

Twist Scenes

Thanks, I guess I will submit it then. Hope that`s ok.

2. Likes Xander liked this post

Twist

Hound, Lady Viscount, Invictus
    Mask of Tranquility
    Striking Looks •• (Alluring)
    Public Identity (Myah Torsione)
    Sand

Striking Looks •• (Curvy)

No worries.

The Concilium/Sanctuary/Court/Formal Court/Eternal Seasons/Etc. are probably one of the more complicated scene type set ups to grasp.

The take place over the course of a month which means that the scene doesn't enter continuity the day it opens/the day it closes. It just exists for that month. This allows things like acknowledgments to kick into effect as soon as it is written as being given. Versus the player having to wait until the end of the month when it was given on day 1 sort of deal.

It is still very much conversation; it just isn't one that can be said to have happened on Wednesday the 1st but more last month I spoke to so and so.

I don't know if you ended up taking a stab at an XPR but given the above, I would hazard that what you could have done is:

Goals accomplished: Met the local Concilium mages and requested acknowledgment.
    Goals for next month: <insert whatever goals you have here>

And then you can check that Philip has interacted with both Winter and Witch.

Xander mentioned getting some new plots up in the Discord. That they are just percolating to completion. And once he does that, if you throw Philip in or start joining some social scenes, you may have more to put for July's XPR

4. Likes Xander liked this post

Twist

Mask of Tranquility
    Sand

Re: June's Concilium

Given the end of the month and where the scene sits, I'm proposing we close the thread and look to re-opening one for July. I've had Witch suggest it IC, but wanted to be clear OOC what the intent was.

X

Twist Scenes

If that is the case, and Philip`s IC post today was a mistake, then I apologise about that. But I thought to close a scene everyone needs to say their goodbyes or something, somehow round it off, which is why I posted. If this was another cardinal mistake in-line with my pre-posting mistake earlier, then, I guess it was nice while it lasted, and sorry for the waste of time I turned out to be. And yes, after that pre-posting mistake I`m doubting pretty much everything I do on this platform. As far as the XPR is concerned, thanks for the info, and I actually included a version of that immediately after I was told I could include that scene in my XPR. But, if that post today was a cardinal mistake, then... I guess it won`t matter, will it.....RIP...

Twist

Mask of Tranquility
    Sand

Xisdor

Nope. Your post is fine.

It's always nice when we can round off a scene. But it doesn't always happen with our month cap limit. So sometimes we go with an assumed "fade to gray, they parted amicably, etc..."

Because this scene is important for your character's acknowledgement, I didn't auto jump to that and close the scene (I opened it so I can close it) and pinged over here on OOC to make sure everyone was on the same page.

Also, because we technically still have 5 days, we have the fluff to have that talk. I'm partially pushing the early end because it is better for the Concilium scenes to have them line up with the month.

8. Likes Xander liked this post

Puck Scenes

Always submit an XPR. Even if you only made 2 posts you can still get 1 or 2 xp for it. When you submit an xpr you're submitting for anything written that month. So if you posted, submit.

Also plots! I'm indeed working on them!

The issue I have writing plots for a small venue is giving them stakes that make the horror feel important. I felt pretty confidant in the gore style horror I was putting into Matriarch, but less so with the [Redacted] style in Whispered Invocation. With the departure of the computers toon its been a lot of improvisation, which isn't my strong suit as an ST.

For those of you who aren't familiar, this is my second time running the venue but I haven't told a story in Mage or pbp since my previous retirement some 10ish years ago. And that was for a venue of 30ish people when I left it, so trying to balance a combat or social encounter to two starters and Winter is a major adjustment to anything I've done online before. Even my tabletop group was five mages (four if I'm being honest about attendance). This is why I wasn't going to do any plots until the venue grew a bit more. It's our responsibility to bring the venue to life though, and I'm part of us so I wanted to at least try to do a bit more. It's going to be a while for me to do some reading though, so don't count on anything new for at least a few weeks. Your best bet right now is to socialize amongst yourselves while I try to find something fun/cool to write a story around. Hopefully a few more toons will trickle in in the meantime.

Finally, remember to mind the difference between Concilium and Sanctuary. Sanctuary is a representation of people meeting there over the course of a month, but concilium is a set date with a set time you are expected to attend and enters continuity the day it's opened. This meeting was a Sanctuary thread as Delta mentioned, but they aren't all handled that way.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gulmoth!

X

Twist Scenes

So, if everyone is fine with it, I would suggest wrapping up Sanctuary 2306 as it is right now, with Winter`s post being the last one in this thread as has been suggested, and we can go over to Sanctuary 2307. As far as continuity is concerned, do we just say a couple of days have passed between Sanctuary 2306 and 2307, as it was said they would reconvene in a few days? This might be a stupid question but what even is the current day and year right now in the story? Is it the same as real life, because I understand some scenes run parallel? And as far as other scenes is concerned, I assume Xander will say when they are ready, I`m really excited what you have for us. when it is ready, because I understand they take time. I`d also be open to character-on-character banter scenes outside Sanctuary because I would like to join several scenes, but I don`t know how to set them up or if I`m even allowed to set them up, or if anyone else would be interested.

Puck Scenes

I closed the thread so Concilium can start.

Technically the threads should always open on the first of the month, but we started back up at a weird time to accommodate acknowledgement so I'm going to say don't worry about it. If you want to keep up the sanctuary/concilium meetings just start the August sanctuary thread on the 1st of the month and that will be our reset point.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gulmoth!

X

Twist Scenes

Ahead of the first scenes this month, I`ve some questions about mage sight, counterspell and scrying mechanics. First of all, I assume level 1 mage sight spells being in the database from first edition can be disregarded since we have switched over to peripheral/active/focused mage sight from second edition. I was told we do however still regard second edition mage sight as a spell, so I don`t understand that second edition mage sight effectively allows all mages, and thus also mages of less than 3 gnosis, to use both ruling arcana simultaneously as mage sight, because using 2 arcana simultaneously to see is effectively a double spell of 2 different mage sights below 3 gnosis, lowering the value of gnosis 3 and double spell that way? 2nd Edition p. 90 “It [mage sight] automatically uses the mage`s two ruling arcana has no cost to add any third Ruling Arcanum, and costs one point of Mana per scene to include a Common or Inferior Arcanum.” What even is a 3rd ruling Arcanum, I haven`t seen that anywhere else in 2nd or 1st edition, and that effectively means triple spell for 1 mana if done, WHAT?
    Furthermore, when taken in combination with which types of spells are covert and which aren`t and the house rules, aka, level 1 and 2 spells being covert and 3 and higher being vulgar, it makes a difference whether first or second edition counterspell is used. This is because first edition only allows for countering vulgar spells and then only if you see them being used (and know at least one of the arcana of the spell) with an active mage sight spell. In second edition counterspell, any type of spell, vulgar or covert, can be countered if you see the spell coming with mage sight and know at least one Arcanum used. Obviously, second edition would, if my interpretation is correct, weaken the utility of the prime Arcanum as countering covert spells was otherwise only possible with prime. But not being able to counter level 1 or 2 spells at all outside prime also doesn`t make sense to me.
    And as for scrying, I understand the process is painful and draining for a scene, but once complete you have additional mana, so my question is, does extra mana from scrying carry over to future scenes if you don`t spend it, or is the house rule on mana calculation with wisdom+ x hallow dots absolute, and scryed mana not used, wasted?

I hope I haven`t missed anything. Thanks in advance for any reply.

X

Twist Scenes

With the above in mind, I wanted to suggest an idea for a scene. A sort of introduction to applying the rules of this game and platform to doing some spellcasting with my mage as a sort of introduction to the practical dice-rolling part of the platform, if you will. You can only read so much, and I think it`s something else to actually apply it, and so I was thinking trying that out in a semi-controlled setting would be a good thing. As such, I was going to suggest that Philip explores the Circle with Mage Sight, and also checks out the Free Council wing, he scryes himself, and maybe does a few simple spells to help in the investigation of this new place for him, after asking for permission to do so from Winter and Witch, in Sanctuary 2307. This is just an idea though. Feel free to reject it if I`m being too forward.

Page 45 of 54 First ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread