Edge of Darkness - Powered by vBulletin
Watch

Mage OOC Talk and Questions

THREADID
DISPLAYED
This is for adding a Search Category to the thread.

Note:
This is NOT a Notification for another member.
Page 41 of 53 First ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... Last

It's time to submit your XP-Reports until the end of the month again!

And on a personal note: Crystal is leaving the Mysterium - in order to keep the Order Sanctum running someone will have to buy one dot of Sanctum Size soon. BoxingUnicorn Orianna Fedup ragnarokxg .

2. Likes BoxingUnicorn, Fedup liked this post

Twist Scenes

About this ST post

I think @Aeolous suggested the most reasonable approach. Here what the player of corn thinks, based on the spell's description and the hint by the ST.

The animated object has, per the spell, the intelligence of a dog. An untrained dog. It can also be trained, which takes time and effort.
    I think it is very reasonable and completely in the spirit of the spell to say "the untrained version doesn't require dots and doesn't do more than an untrained animal would. The Trained version requires buying the retainer merit, representing time and effort to train the object. "
    This would be in similar vein with buying a puppy. The way I understand the Retainer merit just buying a dog doesn't give one a retainer but the untrained dog can't be used. On the other hand, training that dog would require buying it as a retainer.

Retainer merit dots could represent the growing capabilities of the animated object as its training progresses.
    Belle, the person training the animated object could come to an understanding with the ST about the capabilities of the retainer: trained animated object.

BoxingUnicorn
    I will totally find something cool to put here - eventually.

It's experience time! Make sure to submit your XP-reports by the end of the month.

5. Likes Ruach liked this post

In Graveyard Shift, I'm assuming Zeromancer is moving away with Nos to sell the lie?
    Also, paging Nos - but computer troubles might keep them from posting, so whenever I get response from Zero I'll go ahead and skip Nos for now (unless I'm mistaken).

7. Likes Ruach liked this post

Twist Scenes

In Graveyard Shift, I'm assuming Zeromancer is moving away with Nos to sell the lie?
    Yes that is the plan, to walk away in hopes to sell the lie better.

So, there seem to be a few disagreements or confusion about how Paradox/vulgar Spells are handled with Sleeper witnesses present. In the hopes to clear this up here is how I handle it in this game:

As per the established house-rule, every 3+ dot spell is treated as vulgar and will prompt a Paradox roll. No amount of creating believable circumstances will prevent this.

If there are Sleepers present that are aware of something going on, the (+2) bonus will be applied for the Paradox roll. And, as stated in the Mage-core (p. 113-114), if the Mage can make the Spell seem probable this bonus does not apply. Of course what's considered sufficient for this end is left to the ST.
    Now, since the Paradox house-rules were put into place to get rid of the vulgar-covert imbalance between Arcana I would heavily err on the side of caution here - i.e. directly affecting a Sleeper will always make them 'aware' (if not consciously, then at least for the purpose of their Souls reacting to it), and it will take a bit of effort to create probably circumstances.

IC there is no reliable way to know if the (+2) was ultimately applied or not. The Abbys is fickle and unpredictable, and while Mages know that Sleepers do affect the probability of Paradox occurring there is no way to know if the ST has rolled five successes on a chance die or if a Sleeper watching from the bushes has caused a Paradox to occur.

If a Paradox happens, Mages can tell. They can't tell what exactly has happened, whether or not the Paradox has been absorbed via backlash (although the pain of taking backlash is nothing to be sneezed at and might require a roll if the Mage wants to hide it), or who caused the Paradox to happen (unless, of course, they saw someone casting a vulgar Spell with an active Mage sight - and even that could be not unambiguously clear when several Mages are throwing down in the heat of battle).

I hope this helped.

10. Likes Ruach, Xadun liked this post

Here we go again - Mage XP-Reports are due until the end of the month. Get yours in!

12. Likes Ruach, BoxingUnicorn liked this post

Puck Scenes

Matt

I fucked up.

I realized when I went to do the postcog for my other thread I used the wrong rote formula. The wits+academics+Time roll I used was for the theosophy mystery tradition Puck hasn't takenyet.

The bad news is correcting the dice rolls he would lose the last two dice from each roll, which would include one success. The good news is I also fucked up the sympathy. 2E Time sympathy as we use in the mage group only has 4 stages for a total of 4 successes for the most tenuous form of Time sympathy on a ritual casting. So the extra success didn't actually go to anything since I put 5 successes towards Time sympathy. Other bad news is the target number for the ritual was still eleven which Puck wouldn't have met. If you are okay with it, I can burn a willpower point in my next post to fix that if it's okay with you and we'll be good to go.

You're call, and I totally understand if you want to rewind and say Puck didn't get the intel. I made a note for future reference and apologize for causing a fuss. Totally my bad.
    Just your friendly neighborhood gulmoth!

14. Likes Ruach liked this post

Puck - It's cool, burn a willpower next post to adjust for it. Its one of the issues with a PRP is you can't see character sheets. Don't worry too much about it, we all make mistakes.
    Matt - Werewolf Storyteller
    Pronouns: He/ Him

16. Likes Ruach, Xander liked this post

Xander neither the spellcasting chart nor the rulebook lead me to believe that Sympathetic dice penalties add to the target number when cast as rituals. Since Sympathy is not an added spell-factor (which add to the target number), but a penalty similar to Paradox-induced penalties or wound penalties (both instances which reduce the dice pool of each roll instead of adding to target numbers of the spell) it seems consistent to do it that way.

Apart from that, using known and acquainted Sympathy (for time and space respectively) would levy a (-4) and (-6) penalty.

This would apply to both DG and the prp (which I haven't been able to follow - I dropped the ball on that so I would not retcon anything).

18. Likes Ruach liked this post
Page 41 of 53 First ... 31 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 51 ... Last
+ Reply to Thread